Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

• In China, TDKR has done 56M$ and is over, Taken 2 has done 19M$ and is over, Bourne Legacy has done 34M$ and may end at 36M$ by a rough guess.
    Is it the billion target that makes you so excited that you write for instance that Hancock did 15100 $ instead of 15100000 $ ? :)

Sjee, you are really picky huh :-)? I checked the figures on BoxOfficeMojo.
    Skyfall overtakes Avatar to become the highest grossing UK release of all time

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/12/skyfall-overtakes-avatar-to-become.html
    Germanlady wrote:

So Impressive considering Avatar was in 3d as well!

• Germanlady wrote:

And somebody said that the UK didn't have the best Bond fans :-w

Brilliant. Bond is on top on his home country. That's all I need to be honest, I really now don't care about getting a billion or getting Oscars. This has made me very happy.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, very happy indeed.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    £6 million more until Skyfall is the first £100 million film of the UK!
    Right! I'm oing to make sure I see SF again this week.
    Also may double the final gross of quantum of solace amazing!
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 1,548
    I dont think the 50th anniversary could have gone much better apart from Connery not giving an interview but I,m not that bothered about that anymore now that he's been superceded as best Bond ever IMO!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Who better than Bond to be #1 in the UK?
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Germanlady wrote:

Yup, as a proud British Bond fan, this is lovely news. Lovely, indeed... :)

It really is effin' Christmas!
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Great news to see officially Skyfall the highest grossing film of all time in the Uk, makes me proud to be British.

I think it's really proved itself and the fact it's nearly at the same adjusted take of TB which was released at a time when there were no where the amount of distractions and competition that modern films have to deal with today and without 3D to bolster it's profits makes Skyfall's achievement that more impressive.

Bond mania has well and truly returned, the expectation for Bond 24 for will be at Dark Knight proportions.
    The movie did very well, but I have seen no evidence of any Bondmania.

To me it seems that more and more movies do steam up to the billion marker, that perhaps SF will be the first of the 007 series that will do. And perhaps of the DC 007 movies the one is that deserves it.

Still amazing that the Non-US audiences make more and more the BO for movies than the so-called domestic market. But we see that as well that more and more the market for big movies lies outside of the US.
  • SaintMark wrote:

To me it seems that more and more movies do steam up to the billion marker, that perhaps SF will be the first of the 007 series that will do. And perhaps of the DC 007 movies the one is that deserves it.

Still amazing that the Non-US audiences make more and more the BO for movies than the so-called domestic market. But we see that as well that more and more the market for big movies lies outside of the US.

You could ask yourself why James Bond is doing much better than the last Mission Impossible, Die Hard, Taken and Jason Bourne films. I find your remark a tiny bit....simplistic.

More movies hitting the 1 billion? Yes. Movies from the same kind of spy/action genre? Definately no.

Moreover, would you have posted this if 'Skyfall' only brought in $ 650 million? Less than Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol? Off course not. Then people would start saying "The Bond franchise is indeed slowly dying".

'We' Bond fans seem to never be fully satisfied.....
  • RC7RC7
    SaintMark wrote:

You could ask yourself why James Bond is doing much better than the last Mission Impossible, Die Hard, Taken and Jason Bourne films. I find your remark a tiny bit....simplistic.

More movies hitting the 1 billion? Yes. Movies from the same kind of spy/action genre? Definately no.

Moreover, would you have posted this if 'Skyfall' only brought in $ 650 million? Less than Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol? Off course not. Then people would start saying "The Bond franchise is indeed slowly dying".

Some of us don't mind either way if we get a decent film. B.O. is great but it's no barometer of quality. I think the general consensus between Bond fans is that TB is nowhere close to being the best Bond film and I would argue many would watch LTK over it. Cue TB lovers.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Outside of TDK and TDKR which other films have grossed 1 billion without being given the added element of 3D?

I think it says allot when Skyfall can achieve this without this cosmetic advantage.
    RC7 wrote:
    SaintMark wrote:

Some of us don't mind either way if we get a decent film. B.O. is great but it's no barometer of quality. I think the general consensus between Bond fans is that TB is nowhere close to being the best Bond film and I would argue many would watch LTK over it. Cue TB lovers.

In as much as I 100% agree with you on this, still, BO takings can't and shouldn't be completely ignored. Bond will always make money, we all know this but I think in this day and age, it'll be worrisome if a Bond film makes less than $500million WW.
  • RC7RC7
    doubleoego wrote:
    In as much as I 100% agree with you on this, still, BO takings can't and shouldn't be completely ignored. Bond will always make money, we all know this but I think in this day and age, it'll be worrisome if a Bond film makes less than $500million WW.

Absolutely. It's worth monitoring.
    SaintMark wrote:

James Bond had a few things in its favor this year: the 50th anniversary, the incredible Olympic stunt with the Queen and perhaps the titlesong by Adele.
    Also the movie does major business outside of the US, which most Bonds have performed well, which becomes in recent years the place to drive up your BO. Something even the US industry seems to notice.

And simplistic enough for you as ticketprices rise so do does the BO. So undoubtely we will see more and more movies do very well at the BO. WHen talking about the spy genre I think that 007 has one unique advantage over the US based spies, he always did well even in areas where US spies are generally considered not done. But that last reason is perhaps a thought by me. As James Bond was always more about style and class mixed with fantasy and great actionstunts, less about politics.
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote:
    Still amazing that the Non-US audiences make more and more the BO for movies than the so-called domestic market.
    Well, the dollar is currently on a long down trend with respect to many other currencies. I gave the example above of for instance a Japanese moviegoer buying a ticket for a given amount of yen to see Skyfall. In 2002, when going to see DAD, he'd have needed to buy two tickets of the same amount of yen, to have the same impact on the worldwide box office counted in dollar... So, with respect 2002 for instance, now Japan counts twice, Europe counts 70% more etc, just because of the evolution of exchange rate...

So, if the dollar looses another 30% in the next 5 years, even with a little inflation only, you may have 10 billionnaire movies per year, and the true event will be 2$bn. If the dollar inverts the trend and go back to 2002 levels, and with little inflation, we may have only one 1$bn per year. And then I think all the PR in the worlds will start to explain a lot why it doesn't mean it is a failure :)

• edited December 2012 Posts: 2,015
    doubleoego wrote:
    In as much as I 100% agree with you on this, still, BO takings can't and shouldn't be completely ignored.
    I think the majority here is happy that after DAD broke BO records, the producers didn't hurry to make DAD II.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SaintMark wrote:

Want evidence? Look at this site leading up to Skyfall. We were ecstatic and shaky with anticipation.

Shardlake wrote:
    Outside of TDK and TDKR which other films have grossed 1 billion without being given the added element of 3D?

I think it says allot when Skyfall can achieve this without this cosmetic advantage.

"3D" and "advantage" in the same sentence. Hahahahahaha! :))
  • Moreover, would you have posted this if 'Skyfall' only brought in $ 650 million? Less than Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol? Off course not. Then people would start saying "The Bond franchise is indeed slowly dying".
    I think only one person would have called it a flop, and he would have met quite some strong words :)

• SaintMark wrote:

Shardlake wrote:

"3D" and "advantage" in the same sentence. Hahahahahaha! :))
    I wouldn't laugh it off, outside the more film-keen people such as ourselves a lot of people have been brainwashed into buying 3D tickets despite even being a poor post-conversion. Although more people are starting to realise it's not such a great thing except for a certain few films, I remember when Disney re-released the Lion King. I was seeing another movie and a young boy asked 'Mummy, why are we seeing this when we have it on DVD' and the mother replied 'Because it's in 3D it means it's a better version'

Something tells me she would have given the same answer to a 45 year old man.
    edited December 2012 Posts: 28,694
    @Tobester95, I know casual moviegoers eat it up, I am just outlining how bad their judgement is. How else do you think Michael Bay makes money on his film? It isn't for the plot or characterization. Oh wait, there is none... It angers me that he gets put in the grouping of talented men like John Huston, Coppola, Scorsese, Welles and countless others simply by putting explosion after explosion in his films. What a joke.
  • @Tobester95, I know casual moviegoers eat it up, I am just outlining how bad their judgement is. How else do you think Michael Bay makes money on his film? It isn't for the plot or characterization. Oh wait, there is none... It angers me that he gets put in the grouping of talented men like John Huston, Coppola, Scorsese, Welles and countless others simply by putting explosion after explosion in his films. What a joke.
    I enjoyed the Transformers movies on the big screen, only because I went in wanting nothing but explosions and action to entertain the dumb teenager in me (the third was pretty impressive in IMAX though)

But I agree man, need more quality directors. They're coming through though, Rian Johnson being one of them (directed Looper). Hopefully the bigger studios will start to take notice of them, I'm also excited to think about what a younger director (in their 30s perhaps) might do with Bond.
    Tobester95 wrote:
    @Tobester95, I know casual moviegoers eat it up, I am just outlining how bad their judgement is. How else do you think Michael Bay makes money on his film? It isn't for the plot or characterization. Oh wait, there is none... It angers me that he gets put in the grouping of talented men like John Huston, Coppola, Scorsese, Welles and countless others simply by putting explosion after explosion in his films. What a joke.
    I enjoyed the Transformers movies on the big screen, only because I went in wanting nothing but explosions and action to entertain the dumb teenager in me (the third was pretty impressive in IMAX though)

But I agree man, need more quality directors. They're coming through though, Rian Johnson being one of them (directed Looper). Hopefully the bigger studios will start to take notice of them, I'm also excited to think about what a younger director (in their 30s perhaps) might do with Bond.

I agree. Contemporary directors like Nolan and Tarantino make me feel that not all hope is lost.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Did Skyfall hit the 900 million already?
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Did Skyfall hit the 900 million already?

Almost. $869,712,819 so far.