Skyfall: Billion Dollar Bond

Comments

When will we get another official worldwide update on box office takings? :-B
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited December 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Sunday. Always at the weekend.

$300 in the US is crazy. We'll beat Twilight with that figure.
    During its sixth week in french theaters, 256 885 people have gone to see Skyfall, which put the total of seats sold to 6 390 930. Impressive.
    Is that the biggest Bond of all now?
    Samuel001 wrote:

Cheers samuel, really curious to see how big a jump there will be from the last set of figures?
  • JamesPage wrote:
    @Gustav_Graves an interesting but flawed list if you are including Batman but not any other superhero / comic book movies.

I seriously think the last three Batman films are more realistic, less comical. In fact, in a way they are very Bond-esque and it got me interested in the franchise. The pre-Nolan Batman films? Not my cup of tea.

So you can call it flawed, but I think the cross pollination between Nolan's Batman and the last three Bond films is quite clear. If there are two franchises who inspired each other in the past 8 years, then they certainly are Batman and Bond.

I also think the difference between an action hero and a spy are quite....'grey'. An action hero like Batman is often spying, while Bond is also a modern day action hero.

All other action heroes like Superman, Spiderman, Transformers, Thor, Captain America? That is already way way more sci-fi. Nolan's Batman? Way more realistic.
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Cheers samuel, really curious to see how big a jump there will be from the last set of

figures?

$300 mi will be hard to reach as Skyfall loses all it's IMAX screens to TH next week and will lose a lot of screens in general to TH.
  • htall90 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Cheers samuel, really curious to see how big a jump there will be from the last set of

figures?

$300 mi will be hard to reach as Skyfall loses all it's IMAX screens to TH next week and will lose a lot of screens in general to TH.

Not as hard as one may suspect, films stay out a LOT longer in the states than they do over here. I think it'll do just over that.

Well QOS closed on the 25 th of january so not that long and there is loads of competition for screens in the US in the next few weeks from big films like the Hobbit, Jack Reacher, Django Unchained and Les Misérables all coming out before the new year so if it does not completly collaspe against that competition it will make $300 mil. Lets hope it does.
  • @htall90 Me too. More success means bigger investment in Bond 24. I'd like to see Craig's Bond do an old fashioned Connery/Moore romp with the massive sets with slightly more escapism, yet still keeping Craig's style. I think it's possible without going QOS route where story is a tertiary concern.
    Bigger investment is not a good thing in hollywood can ruin much anticipated sequels but Sequels or follow ups always have bigger budgets except very strangely the Transformer trilogy with number 3 costing less then number 2! Problem is keeping cast together and crew together as after a big success like Skyfall big pay rises are expected and studio may get rid of certain people to keep cost down. I would not be surprised if Bond 24 cost $250 mil to make. They will not go back to Connery/Moore route after the success of Skyfall they will try and follow the winning formula without a doubt.
  • I have a question : Beyond the box-office, do we know exactly how much people did see the film, and if it toppled Thunderball ?
  • Ytterbium wrote:
    I have a question : Beyond the box-office, do we know exactly how much people did see the film, and if it toppled Thunderball ?
    Box office mojo only really gives out North American attendance, which is quite frustrating.
    It would likely be third place or even second. Hopefully the statistics will be out next year.
    In attendance wise Thunderball sold 74.8 million tickets and Goldfinger sold 66.3 million i believe in the US according to box office forums friends. Skyfall has currently sold 31.8 million so far according to the numbers.com

http://www.the-numbers.com/market/2012/summary
  • htall90 wrote:
    In attendance wise Thunderball sold 74.8 million tickets and Goldfinger sold 66.3 million i believe in the US according to box office forums friends. Skyfall has currently sold 31.8 million so far according to the numbers.com

In all fairness Thunderball's inflation adjusted US gross was $500m. Only Avatar, The Avengers, The Dark Knight and Titanic have ever crossed that unadjusted. We don't know if this was first-run because of the amount of times it was re-released as a double feature.

• edited December 2012 Posts: 158
    Tobester95 wrote:
    htall90 wrote:

In all fairness Thunderball's inflation adjusted US gross was $500m. Only Avatar, The Avengers, The Dark Knight and Titanic have ever crossed that unadjusted. We don't know if this was first-run because of the amount of times it was re-released as a double feature.
  • BondBug wrote:
    Tobester95 wrote:
    htall90 wrote:

Sound of Music? Dr Zhivago? Both released same year as Thunderball and much bigger?

In fact there's dozens of other movies..........

http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm
    That wasn't the point. Just saying that it's a lot harder to get that level of attendance nowadays.

• MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited December 2012 Posts: 2,044
    Right now it is at : $873,620,080
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    /\ it's starting to grow up slower :'(
    X3MSonicX wrote:

We still have a few markets and this weekend. Remember: M, T, W, Th,'s during holiday seasons are going to be slow.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    X3MSonicX wrote:
    Be happy it has gone THIS far. Over 800 mill is a hell of an accomplishment.
    I really hope Skyfall beats iceage
    With China its a sure thing, it will go over 900 mill. But yeah, we grew greedy and accustomed of it to grow like hell. ;)
  • Germanlady wrote:
    With China its a sure thing, it will go over 900 mill. But yeah, we grew greedy and accustomed of it to grow like hell. ;)

I never got greedy though...I just stayed as realistic as possible ;-). By the way....what do you think of Barbara Brocollo Germanlady? I kind of admire her....
    Of course it's slowing down the numbers are for weekdays as well.Will pass $900 mil by sunday.
  • htall90 wrote:
    Of course it's slowing down the numbers are for weekdays as well.Will pass $900 mil by sunday.

I can tell you this: If 'Skyfall' will stay at exactly $900 million worldwide, 900,000,000, then I am already jumping of pleasure :). Everything what's more is nicer, but not necessary ;-). Will make me more happy though!
  • Germanlady wrote:

OM$ for CHina is still a possibility alas. HK newspapers say it is rumoured it's under heavy discussions, as many things would have to be censored at the least for the movie to be released (all the backstory of Silva / Severine / etc...to start with).
  • edited December 2012 Posts: 11,119
    Germanlady wrote:

OM$ for CHina is still a possibility alas. HK newspapers say it is rumoured it's under heavy discussions, as many things would have to be censored at the least for the movie to be released (all the backstory of Silva / Severine / etc...to start with).

That was my initial fear as well. 'Skyfall' is quite a critical Bond film, questioning the intelligence community in great detail. It could raise eyebrows with the Chinese public, as we already know hom important 'economical espionage' is for those damned Chinese copycats :-).

Don't forget, for similar reasons 'The Dark Knight' did not premiere at all in China in 2008. Many aspects of the movie are about the Chinese criminal underground mafia. And suddenly Batman arrives there to 'kick some ass' and fight those Chinese baddies. Chinese government did not like that. Result: Scrapped from the list.
    Slowing down maybe, but able to conquer No 1 spot again

007 SHOCK: ‘Skyfall’ Tops Twilight For #1; Gerard Butler’s ‘Playing For Keeps’ Bombs

SATURDAY 6:45 AM: Believe it or not, Eon Productions/MGM/Sony Pictures’ most successful 007 starrer Skyfall rose to #1 in Week 5 to knock off Summit Entertainment’s Breaking Dawn Part 2 in Week 4 at Friday’s domestic box office. The 23rd Jame Bond actioner made $3.1M for maybe as high as $11M for the weekend and $261.6M domestic cume through Sunday. The Twilight Saga finale earned $2.7M Friday for $8.7M weekend and $268.5M cume to end up #3

Here’s the Top Ten based on Friday estimates:

1. Skyfall (Eon/MGM/Sony) Week 5 [Runs 3,401] PG13
    Friday $3.1M, Weekend $11.0M, Cume $261.6M

2. Breaking Dawn Part 2 (Summit/Lionsgate) Week 4 [Runs 3,646] PG13
    Friday $2.7M, Weekend $8.7M, Cume $268.3M

3. Lincoln (DreamWorks/Fox/Disney) Week 5 [Runs 2,014] PG13
    Friday $2.5M, Weekend $8.4M, Cume $96.7M

4. Rise Of The Guardian (DWAnim/Par) Week 3 [Runs 3,639] PG
    Friday $2.2M, Weekend $10.6M, Cume $61.2M

5. Life Of Pi (Fox) Week 3 [Runs 2,946] PG
    Friday $2.2M, Weekend $8.2M, Cume $60.8M

6. Playing For Keeps (Millenium/FilmDistrict) NEW [Runs 2,837] PG13
    Friday $2.1M, Weekend $6.0M

http://www.deadline.com/2012/12/007-shock-skyfall-tops-twilight-for-1-gerard-butlers-playing-for-keeps-bombs/