The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    'Amazing Spider-Man 2': Chris Cooper to Play Green Goblin

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni47965964/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Villain overload. Sony better not muck it up - again.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited February 2013 Posts: 17,691
    Back to formula???

;)

Watching Amazing Spider-man 2-nite.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I love Chris Cooper, but yes, definite villain overload. Interested to see how they handle this one.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I think he'll only be Norman Osborn in "The Amazing Spider-Man 2". He may become the Goblin at the end of it and will be the villian in "The Amazing Spider-Man3".
    Ummm... guys, I made a huge mistake in not seeing TASM in theatres.... it's pretty good. :\">
    Edit to add: pretty great.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    chrisisall wrote:
    Ummm... guys, I made a huge mistake in not seeing TASM in theatres.... it's pretty good. :\">

Says the bloke that loves Spiderman 3, Indy 4 and Batman and Robin, just to name a few. I will have to judge this for myself...
    chrisisall wrote:

That's how I felt. There were somethings I didn't care for - I guess I'm just not used to the 'ultimate universe' (At least that's what I was told - but I did really like the movie. I almost boycotted it due to rebooting a good series after one stumble, but truthfully I think this series has a lot of potential.
    Says the bloke that loves Spiderman 3, Indy 4 and Batman and Robin
    I have to say, the costume was severely lacking, but the STORY & ACTING was peerless in this genre. I like Spider-man 3, but I *LOVE* The Amazing Spider-man!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 4,813
    I enjoyed TASM when I saw in in the theatre (surprisingly good 'date movie') quite a bit! Maybe the one thing I wasn't thrilled with was the costume- despite liking Garfield a LOT.
    Now that he'll be in a more traditional suit he'll feel even more like Spidey to me!
    chrisisall wrote:
    Says the bloke that loves Spiderman 3, Indy 4 and Batman and Robin, just to name a few. I will have to judge this for myself...
    Indy 4 is OK (change a few things like the overuse of CGI and jungle monkey swinging and it becomes good) and Batman & Robin is hilarious. Long story short B&R is a major disappointment to us all when we saw it at the theatre but now that it's over 10 years old and we know what we're getting ourselves into, there really are plenty of laughs to be had! :-j

But yes judge for yourself regarding TASM- I think you'll like it! It gets a bad rep
    Batman & Robin is hilarious
    So YOU'RE the other fan who thinks so!
    Batman: And you are...?
    Batgirl: Batgirl.
    Batman: That's not very PC. What about Batwoman, or Batperson?
    Batgirl: Bruce, it's me, Barbara. I found the Batcave.
    Robin: We gotta get those locks changed.
    Batman: She knows who we are.
    Robin: I guess we'll just have to kill her.
    Batman: Yep, we'll kill her later, we've got work to do.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    Says the bloke that loves Spiderman 3, Indy 4 and Batman and Robin
    I have to say, the costume was severely lacking, but the STORY & ACTING was peerless in this genre. I like Spider-man 3, but I *LOVE* The Amazing Spider-man!
    How do you feel about Spiderman 2?
    chrisisall wrote:
    Batman & Robin is hilarious
    So YOU'RE the other fan who thinks so!
    Batman: And you are...?
    Batgirl: Batgirl.
    Batman: That's not very PC. What about Batwoman, or Batperson?
    Batgirl: Bruce, it's me, Barbara. I found the Batcave.
    Robin: We gotta get those locks changed.
    Batman: She knows who we are.
    Robin: I guess we'll just have to kill her.
    Batman: Yep, we'll kill her later, we've got work to do.

That isn't funny to me. That is the shredding of a character who isn't being portrayed properly. As soon as I get to Mr. Freeze yelling at his men to SING! SING!, I face-palm, give the film two parting middle figures, and switch the garbage off.

Freeze is a joke, and is just another big baddie with no substance, though they could have done some deep stuff with him trying to save his wife and finding remorse and guilt in his crimes that he selfishly committed to save her. Bane is a random nobody, made into a grunting idiot and not the brilliant tactician he is. Poison Ivy is nothing more than eye candy and don't get me started on the rest of it. The only redeeming thing in the film is some of the music, and Michael Gough's performance as Alfred. He is the bright light in this dark and dank tunnel of suffering. Much like DAD, it had so many great moments of potential, all scrapped away and forgotten in favor of mindless action.

I find it very hard to look back and laugh at a film that crippled the Batman film franchise over its knee like it was Bane, and I endlessly thank Nolan for giving us some proper films again.
    Okay, I'll say it: it was Raimi's best movie.
    Freeze is a joke

Yep, and I laff all the way through it. It's not what I wanted the movie to be, but it's inescapably funny to me.

Back to Spidey- man was it good. I grew up reading the comics, and to see Peter kiss Gwen brought a real couple of tears to my eye.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Okay, I'll say it: it was Raimi's best movie.
    Freeze is a joke

Yep, and I laff all the way through it. It's not what I wanted the movie to be, but it's inescapably funny to me.

Have you noticed the great literary symbolism in Spiderman 2? It is one of the reasons why I love it so much (it is my favorite superhero film).
    Have you noticed the great literary symbolism in Spiderman 2? It is one of the reasons why I love it so much (it is my favorite superhero film).
    The Christ thing was very heartfelt, yes. I got a bit of that from the first Superman film. Powerful thing to work into a superhero story. Stark did a bit of it in Avengers.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    The Christ thing was very heartfelt, yes. I got a bit of that from the first Superman film. Powerful thing to work into a superhero story. Stark did a bit of it in Avengers.

The Christ thing? What are you referring to? I was talking about The Importance of Being Earnest.

This is a repost of something I typed a while back that explains my point:

By the way, have any of you noticed the parallels to Spiderman 2's plot and "The Importance of Being Earnest", the play that MJ is in during the film? Naturally, I was but a kid when the film released and never thought anything of the play featuring in it, and it wasn't until I grew up and read Oscar Wilde that I truly saw the poeticism of it. After reading the play it randomly clicked for me that it was connected to my favorite superhero film all this time. So I studied Spiderman 2 without the ignorance of a child and found that there was a reason the play was included. It wasn't just random! You see, "The Importance of Being Earnest" is at its heart about a man who is hiding his true identity from the woman he loves and wishes to be with. Spiderman 2 is just that, Peter trying to be with MJ while hiding who he is behind the guise of Spiderman. Earnest and his friend Algernon in the play use things called "Bunburys", which are essentially excuses to get out of their appointments/meetings. They make up an fake brother that is ill or something and say they must go and see him to get out of prior engagements that are rather unsavory. So Peter's Bunbury is Spiderman, and something that keeps him busy and late to engagements of his own like seeing MJ on stage.

I was astounded when I first connected the dots and give a round of applause for the very clever men and women who worked on Spiderman 2. Yet another special thing Spiderman 2 has that I love, and further proof that comic book films can be deep and engaging too.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,107
    First Look At Sally Field On THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Set; Plus Andrew Garfield As Peter Parker

Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=74840#8q1E3iTzzkDwKmKw.99

more pictures of the costume http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=74834

infphotos718028.jpg

UPDATE: Andrew Garfield & Shailene Woodley Return To THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Set
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=74794#spKdBXVJwzGydwy9.99

andrewgarfieldfixesbrok.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Garfield has Beiber's hair style.

The Christ thing? What are you referring to?
    Heh, I thought you were referring to the obvious crucifixion imagery when Pete saved the train...

chrisisall wrote:

The Christ thing? What are you referring to?
    Heh, I thought you were referring to the obvious crucifixion imagery when Pete saved the train...

I don't get that at all from that scene. The only way it would make even a little sense is if Peter would have died to save the train.
    I don't get that at all from that scene. The only way it would make even a little sense is if Peter would have died to save the train.
    In terms of the IMAGERY, he was crucified on the front of the train & 'died' & had his body passed to the ground. It's unmistakable.
    chrisisall wrote:
    In terms of the IMAGERY, he was crucified on the front of the train & 'died' & had his body passed to the ground. It's unmistakable.

Whatever you say... =))
    Whatever you say... =))
    You're saying you really don't see the obvious & intentional Christ imagery there... in your favourite superhero movie???
    Seriously?

• edited February 2013 Posts: 172
    This was my favourite film of 2012. I'm a big Marvel / DC comic book film fan & looking forward to ASM2.

Marc Webb I hope will helm all three.

Electro & Rhino interesting villains and I hope they go there separate ways in the movie not working together.

As for the mysterious man in shadows from ASM he really has Mysterio written all over him. My fav Marvel villain ever & Webb has said before he is a fan of the old school villains including Mysterio, Green Goblin & Kraven.

ASM 3 with Mysterio or Green Goblin but the man in shadows HAS to be Mysterio. If not the only other baddies that Webb may consider are The Jackal or Chameleon. Spidey's 1st major super villain.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Whatever you say... =))
    You're saying you really don't see the obvious & intentional Christ imagery there... in your favourite superhero movie???
    Seriously?

As a non-believer, I probably wouldn't anyway. I don't think it is as "obvious" as you so think it is.
    As a non-believer, I probably wouldn't anyway. I don't think it is as "obvious" as you so think it is.
    As a student of film & film history, and as a film-maker in college, with many English/Film credits under my belt, and as one who's worked in the industry (okay, just a lowly stunt man), I have to say your powers of visual & story-telling observation are somewhat lacking if you can't see the overt connection between Peter saving the train & the crucifixion of Christ. You don't have to be a believer (Hell, I'm not) to know the general history of Christ, nor be even marginally aware of the thousands of paintings, stories & movies depicting the event of his death. And to juxtapose them in your head should not be at all difficult for someone like you, who after all had no trouble connecting the dots between Spider-man 2's story and that of "The Importance of Being Earnest". :)>-
    This was my favourite film of 2012.
    Mine was Avengers. But ASM was pretty freakin' awesome. And I think you may be right regarding Mysterio....
    chrisisall wrote:
    As a student of film & film history, and as a film-maker in college, with many English/Film credits under my belt, and as one who's worked in the industry (okay, just a lowly stunt man), I have to say your powers of visual & story-telling observation are somewhat lacking if you can't see the overt connection between Peter saving the train & the crucifixion of Christ. You don't have to be a believer (Hell, I'm not) to know the general history of Christ, nor be even marginally aware of the thousands of paintings, stories & movies depicting the event of his death. And to juxtapose them in your head should not be at all difficult for someone like you, who after all had no trouble connecting the dots between Spider-man 2's story and that of "The Importance of Being Earnest". :)>-

Experience has nothing to do with the talent for spotting visual hints. I am just saying that there isn't enough data for me to consider that as a possibility, while there is more than enough for my observation regarding The Importance of Being Earnest. Just because I don't see one little moment that still doesn't produce enough evidence for me to seriously consider it doesn't mean I am "lacking" in any faculties whatever. After all, determining what is being symbolized in a film's visuals is a very subjective exercise, and I don't think anyone should assume such a high and mighty position to assume that their view of a specific scene is more correct than anyone else's opinions or is in fact the only way to look at a scene in question.
    After all, determining what is being symbolized in a film's visuals is a very subjective exercise, and I don't think anyone should assume such a high and mighty position to assume that their view of a specific scene is more correct than anyone else's opinions or is in fact the only way to look at a scene in question.
    That's some nice words there, try these:
    http://www.cinemaspirit.info/spiderman.htm
    Soon after this symbolic resurrection, Spider-Man’s Christ-figure status is cemented in the battle with Doc Ock on the commuter train. Doc Ock’s whip-like tentacles scourge Spider-Man’s body.

Doc Ock sabotages the train’s controls so that the train can’t be stopped . . . before it runs off the end of its track. Spider-Man stands at the very front of the train. His mask is damaged by an electrical fire, and he pulls it off so that he can see more clearly. He attempts to stop the train first by using his feet against the wooden ties, but the ties merely shatter and wound his feet.

Then he shoots webbing at the skyscrapers hurtling by. In a cruciform position, his hands hold the webbing to slow down the train. Instead of nails, his own webbing crucifies him. The enormous strain creates rips in his suit, bends metal, and breaks glass behind his arms. When at last he brings the train to a stop at the brink of a precipice, he faints from exhaustion and begins to fall. Passengers he has saved, however, gently grab him and pull him into the train. Above their raised arms they pass him—still in cruciform position—toward the center of the car and gently lay him down. The scene is a clear rearticulation of Christ being taken down from the cross.

It ain't just ME, bro.
    chrisisall wrote:
    After all, determining what is being symbolized in a film's visuals is a very subjective exercise, and I don't think anyone should assume such a high and mighty position to assume that their view of a specific scene is more correct than anyone else's opinions or is in fact the only way to look at a scene in question.
    That's some nice words there, try these:
    http://www.cinemaspirit.info/spiderman.htm
    Soon after this symbolic resurrection, Spider-Man’s Christ-figure status is cemented in the battle with Doc Ock on the commuter train. Doc Ock’s whip-like tentacles scourge Spider-Man’s body.

Doc Ock sabotages the train’s controls so that the train can’t be stopped . . . before it runs off the end of its track. Spider-Man stands at the very front of the train. His mask is damaged by an electrical fire, and he pulls it off so that he can see more clearly. He attempts to stop the train first by using his feet against the wooden ties, but the ties merely shatter and wound his feet.

Then he shoots webbing at the skyscrapers hurtling by. In a cruciform position, his hands hold the webbing to slow down the train. Instead of nails, his own webbing crucifies him. The enormous strain creates rips in his suit, bends metal, and breaks glass behind his arms. When at last he brings the train to a stop at the brink of a precipice, he faints from exhaustion and begins to fall. Passengers he has saved, however, gently grab him and pull him into the train. Above their raised arms they pass him—still in cruciform position—toward the center of the car and gently lay him down. The scene is a clear rearticulation of Christ being taken down from the cross.

It ain't just ME, bro.

Again, like I said: People have different ways of looking at things. That opinion is no more definite than any other just because one person blogs about it.

Though, I thank you for that link: It was a great laugh. The person is naturally a religious fanatic, and makes an effort to tie everything in the Spiderman films to religion in some way, shape or form. The truth is, you could BS your way around any plot and make it about anything you wished and be convincing to those that are vain enough to listen to you. Again, until I hear Raimi state that this was the plan for the scene, I am fully unconvinced that that is what the scene is meant to portray.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Opinions are opinions. I don't care what your background is, what you've studied, or what you noticed in a scene that, initially, someone else may not have spotted: opinions are opinions. No person's opinion is greater or more 'factual' than someone else's.