The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I kinda liked the computer animated series (MTV-?) that I have on DVD.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I liked the MTV series too. Didn't that one take place in the Raimi movie world, right after SM2?
    edited January 2013 Posts: 17,687
    Yes, the copyright says 2003 & 2004.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I liked the MTV series too. Didn't that one take place in the Raimi movie world, right after SM2?

I don't think so...I didn't connect anything to the Raimi films.

Great series though, but very Debbie Downer ending.
    It has the same font style, and Mary Jane is his girlfriend, no mention of Gwen that I remember... seems made to sort of fit in if you want it to.
    Too bad it never got a second season, ending on a kind of cliff-hanger.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

I don't think so...I didn't connect anything to the Raimi films.

Great series though, but very Debbie Downer ending.

The MTV cartoon is based on the Raimi movies, picking up where the first movie left off.

• DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    I liked Spectacular Spider-Man.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 11,139
    So did I. Until those callous fools, screwed over Greg Weisman and canceled the show after 2 amazing seasons. It's like they're trying to ruin spider-man on purpose.....and while I'm at it. Eff Joe Quesada too.
    Spectacular Spider-man was cool, but not my cup of Earl Grey. I just couldn't get into the drawing style. I count that as my own limitation, though.

Concerning the Raimi flicks- considering the way Venom was forced down Raimi's throat during production, S3 turned out a LOT better than it possibly could have in a lesser director's hands. I can actually enjoy it immensely with that in mind.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2013 Posts: 28,694
    chrisisall wrote:
    Spectacular Spider-man was cool, but not my cup of Earl Grey. I just couldn't get into the drawing style. I count that as my own limitation, though.

Concerning the Raimi flicks- considering the way Venom was forced down Raimi's throat during production, S3 turned out a LOT better than it possibly could have in a lesser director's hands. I can actually enjoy it immensely with that in mind.

Raimi got screwed over by the studio. He wanted to do the Vulture but they made him shoehorn Venom in along with Sandman.

For me this series ends with Mary Jane knocking at Peter's door in her wedding dress, and telling him "go get 'em Tiger!" as he swings off to save the day. As we pan out, on her face is a mix of comfort and worry, but she will stand by him no matter what. THAT is Spiderman.
    For me this series ends with Mary Jane knocking at Peter's door in her wedding dress, and telling him "go get 'em Tiger!" as he swings off to save the day. As we pan out, on her face is a mix of comfort and worry, but she will stand by him no matter what. THAT is Spiderman.
    THAT was great.
  • For me this series ends with Mary Jane knocking at Peter's door in her wedding dress, and telling him "go get 'em Tiger!" as he swings off to save the day. As we pan out, on her face is a mix of comfort and worry, but she will stand by him no matter what. THAT is Spiderman.

I never realized how brilliant that scene is until two days ago, when I rewatched SM2 for the 34543654654th time.

I never realized how brilliant that scene is until two days ago, when I rewatched SM2 for the 34543654654th time.

I actually reminds me of the ending to The Graduate where at the end of it all you have two characters for better or worse choosing to be together. On their faces are a mix of emotions. Uncertainty yet youthful hope. Happy, yet neurotic. Fear, but the willingness to challenge it.

By the way, have any of you noticed the parallels to Spiderman 2's plot and "The Importance of Being Earnest", the play that MJ is in during the film? Naturally, I was but a kid when the film released and never thought anything of the play featuring in it, and it wasn't until I grew up and read Oscar Wilde that I truly saw the poeticism of it. After reading the play it randomly clicked for me that it was connected to my favorite superhero film all this time. So I studied Spiderman 2 without the ignorance of a child and found that there was a reason the play was included. It wasn't just random! You see, "The Importance of Being Earnest" is at its heart about a man who is hiding his true identity from the woman he loves and wishes to be with. Spiderman 2 is just that, Peter trying to be with MJ while hiding who he is behind the guise of Spiderman. Earnest and his friend Algernon in the play use things called "Bunburys", which are essentially excuses to get out of their appointments/meetings. They make up an fake brother that is ill or something and say they must go and see him to get out of prior engagements that are rather unsavory. So Peter's Bunbury is Spiderman, and something that keeps him busy and late to engagements of his own like seeing MJ on stage.

I was astounded when I first connected the dots and give a round of applause for the very clever men and women who worked on Spiderman 2. Yet another special thing Spiderman 2 has that I love, and further proof that comic book films can be deep and engaging too.
    Amazing spiderman was a bit of a mixed bag for me, the shoe horned teenage angst did not work for me, though it felt rushed so it was not dwelled on too much. Garfield was a improvement on Mcguire, Stone was ok and easy on the eye, compared to the appalling Mary Jane played by Dunst. The special effects were ok, though the stunt work stood out too much for me compared to the cgi. Ifans was not as bad as i thought he would be, no comment on Sheen and Fields, nothing positive to say about them. As far as ideas presented in the movie, i will likely watch the second film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    More cast:

Paul Giamatti as The Rhino and Felicity Jones as someone...

It's getting packed now, don't overdo it Sony.
    Paul Giamatti as the Rhino?! They must be going with the Ultimate Spider-Man Rhino and have the villian in a giant robot suit.
    I have no idea who Felicity Jones would be. Probably just a friend of MJ's or something.
    edited January 2013 Posts: 13,350
    I hope she's not Black Cat.

This film is stuffed with enough new characters as it is.
    Columbia Pictures announced today that filming has begun on The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in New York. The film is the first in the history of the franchise that will be filmed entirely in New York City and New York State.

The sequel to last year’s critical and box office hit The Amazing Spider-Man, the film stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Jamie Foxx, Shailene Woodley, Dane DeHaan, Colm Feore, Paul Giamatti, and Sally Field.

In The Amazing Spider-Man 2, for Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), life is busy – between taking out the bad guys as Spider-Man and spending time with the person he loves, Gwen (Emma Stone), high school graduation can’t come quickly enough. Peter hasn’t forgotten about the promise he made to Gwen’s father to protect her by staying away – but that’s a promise he just can’t keep. Things will change for Peter when a new villain, Electro (Jamie Foxx), emerges, an old friend, Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan), returns, and Peter uncovers new clues about his past.

The film is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman & Roberto Orci & Jeff Pinkner, with a previous draft by James Vanderbilt, and based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach are the producers.

The film’s key behind-the-scenes team includes director of photography Dan Mindel, production designer Mark Friedberg, editors Pietro Scalia and Elliot Graham, and costume designer Deborah L. Scott.

The latest chapter in the Spider-Man story is set for release in 3D on May 2, 2014.

This press release announces Colm Feore has also joined the cast.
    Bah! I wasted the latter part of my teens up until last year, following the productions of all the spidey movies and I won't be doing it this time around. From what I do know of this new movie, I don't feel convinced that it's going to be anything particularly great and that's heart breaking for me to say as I'm a life-long spider-man fan.
    Here's an article and picture of Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane on set.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/battle-mary-janes-shailene-woodley-vs-kirsten-dunst-174742648.html

Another thing I found interesting in that article was in the last paragraph. They are changing Spidey's outfit! Making his eyes bigger, fixing his gloves and boots, and giving him back his belt.
    Here's an article and picture of Shailene Woodley as Mary Jane on set.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-talk/battle-mary-janes-shailene-woodley-vs-kirsten-dunst-174742648.html

Another thing I found interesting in that article was in the last paragraph. They are changing Spidey's outfit! Making his eyes bigger, fixing his gloves and boots, and giving him back his belt.

Nice. I've always been a fan of McFarlane's version of Spider-Man. These are welcomed changes in my book
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 4,813
    Pics of the outfit have surfaced:

hr_The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2_1.jpg

Looks a LOT like the Raimi version, with better eyes
    Pics of the outfit have surfaced:

hr_The_Amazing_Spider-Man_2_1.jpg

Looks a LOT like the Raimi version, with better eyes

The pic didn't load

:(
    Yeah, to be far, Raimi's version is the classic Spider-Man look. I wouldn't mind if they spread the webbing detailing out or group it close together to differentiate it from Raimi's. The large eyes look great though.
  • Sorry Q- it not only shows up for me, it even shows up in your quote! Can anyone else see it?

How about this one?

hr_the_amazing_spider-man_2_1__span.jpg
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Sorry Q- it not only shows up for me, it even shows up in your quote! Can anyone else see it?

How about this one?

hr_the_amazing_spider-man_2_1__span.jpg

Thanks, @Master_Dahark. Thank Fleming they changed it. From what I have seen of the first suit, it was a mess. This is more in touch with classic Spidey. I still need to see this film...
    In the first one, I didn't care for the costume in stills, but I thought it looked more realistic than Raimi's when it was in motion.... If that makes sense at all. :-/
    Yes, thank you! I also found a site that has on set pics of Spidey!

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-amazing-spider-man-2-set-photos-with-andrew-garfield-in-costume
    Things look alright. Hopefully this film is even better than the last.
    I am so IN!!! The costume FINALLY looks like the comic book!!!! Kudos!

now I have to buy & watch the first movie.... :\">