The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    I saw it this afternoon and I must say I was pleasently surprised! I had moderately low expectations about it, I admit. But it was quite good. I was glad that quite a few things I had seen on the trailers and didn't like didn't make it to the final cut! I can honestly recommend it to anyone who likes good-old Spidey.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I was dissapointed. Even though i didn't have any too high expectations about the film. It felt like it took too long time to introduce the characters but they didn't get into details too much. The 2002 movie was better in that way.
    And unfortunaly the 3D on the film wasn't too good either..
    MrBond wrote:
    Well, most of the film was in 2D, and the 3D bits weren´t annoying, so I wouldn´t say it wasn´t too good ;-) .
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    boldfinger wrote:
    MrBond wrote:
    Well, most of the film was in 2D, and the 3D bits weren´t annoying, so I wouldn´t say it wasn´t too good ;-) .

That's what i mean, they made us pay more money for a couple of scenes of 3D. And when i took my glasses of and the rest of the film looked okay, then the subtitles was completely screwed up. Lucky i can englis ;)

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Bounine wrote:
    What's the "ultimate universe"?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Spider-Man

Ok so I've seen this movie for the 3rd time and what can I say?

I first joined these boards back when it was spider-man hype 12 freaking years ago. I was 15! The spidey movies came and I vocalised my dislike for each and every single one of them with juvenile emphatic effect, although the 95% of my criticisms were genuine issues which over the last 4 years have become common concern and discussions around here.
    That being said, I always gave credit where it was due to Raimi and he did do some awesome things, HOWEVER, TASM nuclear blasts Raimi's trilogy into some interdimensional galactic black hole. This is THE definitive spider-man movie and for me, the best comic book movie ever made.

I sat there. With the biggest **** eating grin on my face through out. The spider-man that Ive been reading for the past 24 years finally decided to show up on screen. People, this is the real deal! The naysayers, detractors, they're all sniffing bath salt. TASM was epic! Even now I can't stop smiling!

This film is so good that I didn't need spider-man it the action. The drama was realistically well written and acted. The execution of the drama was so simple yet significantly natural and sincere.
    For me, the saving grace of Raimi's films were the action but in the case for TASM everything was done right.

The film's heart was constant through out, Peter's nerdy awkwardness never became an intrusion or a pathetic attempt at trying to sympathise and connect to him. The scenes with uncle Ben and Aunt May were perfect. No forced, long winded speeches, just straight up real talk between real characters. Watching Ben and May was like seeing my parents on screen when I was a teenaged knucklehead.
    This film does and achieves a lot and where it really scores, I'd on it's ability to resonate.
    Gwen was awesome!
    Beautiful, intelligent, relaxed and not some forced burden to the plot. Webb, the writers, the cast, hell everyone involved in bringing this film together should be applauded and Webb isn't going anywhere. Him not coming back for the sequels would be stupidity of the highest order.

I had no problem with any of the special effects. The lizard was great, spidey was great. Lighting issues?? Really?? Maybe your cinema/theatre need a new projector.

I really should write a more concise review but I'm too excited at the awesomeness I just witnessed and I'll be seeing this again.

Folks, believe the hype, like Holyfield this movie is the real deal.

A solid 9/10 from me.

Excelsior mother hubbards!

Oh oh oh, the Stan Lee cameo was epic. The carnage going on behind him was just poetic. AaaaaRrrgghhh!!!!! This movie OWNS!!!!!!

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Yeah, the Stan Lee cameo is probably the best he has ever done! I probably wouldn't give 9/10 but I give it a solid 8/10 @doubleoego, I really liked it too :) I felt like a teenager, again in a good way, because it made me remember how much I loved him!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,350
    I liked the film but that was all. The potential is there for improvement with the following film. A good start even if it is at times it was "been there, done that".
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited July 2012 Posts: 8,034
    I saw it this evening. I find Garfield to be a much superior Spider-Man to Tobey Maguire. I also found it enjoyable that they obviously embraced the idea that it was slightly ridiculous to be doing a reboot so soon from Raimi's original origin story from 10 years ago, and kept the Peter Parker transforming into Spider-Man part in the relative background, keeping certain plot elements out of neccessity for those unfamiliar with the tale but taking the story in a new direction for those of us familiar with the other installments.

One thing I was disappointed with was the fact that there was no standout action sequence, rather some smaller ones littered here and there, and that one at Oscorp tower at the end. But nothing as iconic as, say, the train sequence from Spider-Man 2.

However, apart from that, I found it immensely enjoyable. Despite my doubts I took the risk to see it, and it paid off.
    I thought the fight between spidey and the lizard at the school was amazing, especially with the Stan Lee cameo. I actually prefer that fight over the train fight if sm2.
    I think that Stan Lee and Michael G WIlson are related? All these cameo's, glasses, and moustache's! They must be!!! ;) lol
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 2,598
    The movie is comparable to Raimi's in terms of a teenager at school falling in love and getting his own back with the bully at school upon inheriting his superpowers, but it is better directed then Raimi’s films and Garfield is certainly an improvement on McGuire. Better acting all round. Loved Martin Sheen and Sally Field. She’s so real. Her character in this film made me think of my mother. The acting in this film was so refreshingly natural. Again, very well directed with splendid casting.

The suit looks better and I love the human element where the crane operators orchestrated it so Spiderman had somewhere to swing.

I wish that we had have seen some scenes where Parker practiced his web slinging. It seemed like he was immediately a professional at it.

I much preferred Parker’s love interest in this one to Dunst’s character. Dunst is a good actress (love her in Melancholia) but I find her nauseating in the Raimi flicks.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 11,139
    Parker did practises web-slinging, with the chains at that warehouse and when he flipped off the building after doing handstands on the ledge of the building. Also after the cops chase after him, directly after the car-jacker scene, spidey at first is struggling to swing as evidenced by him crashing against the side of a bus.
    Guess I must have had too much to drink before the film. :)

Did anyone notice the parked Aston Martin in the car jacker scene? Or am I wrong about this?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The film has now made $140 million:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=92304
    $341.6 worldwide too. A good enough start to this, now confirmed, trilogy. Thanks to Nolan, everything must be a trilogy. X( Can't anyone come up with something new?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    $341.6 worldwide too. A good enough start to this, now confirmed, trilogy. Thanks to Nolan, everything must be a trilogy. X( Can't anyone come up with something new?

Nope! Thanks, Hollywood. I surmise 'The Bourne Legacy' is going to turn into a trilogy, as well. I thought I heard this as being confirmed a while back, but all I can find is a fifth Bourne film, with Matt Damon returning as Jason Bourne and teaming up with Renner's Aaron Cross.
    Yeah, there's no word on where Bourne 5 will go or if it will even happen apart from the above you mentioned.

There's also going to be six Die Hard and Resident Evil films, with at least six Pirates Of The Caribbean's.

If it is not one trilogy, it's two.
    That seems to be the thing these days. Don't forget 'The Hobbit' films now, along with talks of Stephanie Meyer writing yet another 'Twilight' novel, bringing in yet another film. It's the moneymaker, though, these trilogies and franchises. 'Harry Potter,' 'LOTR,' 'Twilight,' the whole lot. Then, if a miscellaneous film comes along and does incredible, it receives sequels: 'Taken,' 'Avatar,' etc. Granted, I'm not sure if they were slated to have sequels in the first place - I don't believe 'Taken' did, but there you have it.
    Quite. Avatar was always a trilogy according to Cameron but now it's a four film series. With the last three being film together. It is the way of today, so I'll just have to keep getting used to it.
    Lets blame George Lucas for this trilogy malarky.
    Six Star Wars films too. How did that pass me by? It all starts with him! ;)
    'Indiana Jones', as well. It's everywhere around us!
    LOTR Jackson and Tolken Duh!

Anywhom [Blank]ing brilliant film.
    Samuel001 wrote:

On the one hand I can understand where your coming from but since their are a lot of spiderman (and definitly a lot of batman) villains that should be on the screen... I don't mind more comic book movies however if Spiderman or indeed Batman fell into the X-men/Superman trap or as I like to call it ram a popular villain down your throat to death (Luther always Luther) ... then I can understand and agree. But like our legendary Spy there are still some good stories to be told in the comic book world on film so i say let them be told.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Quite. Avatar was always a trilogy according to Cameron but now it's a four film series. With the last three being film together. It is the way of today, so I'll just have to keep getting used to it.

It seems any time someone gets a chance to sit down with Cameron, he's added a damn film to that set.

1st interview: 'there will be sequels'
    2nd: 'a trilogy'
    3rd: 'four! for now..'

You haven't even gotten to the trailer for two yet!
    I'm not against trilogies and even longer franchises for superhero films as long as the quality is maintained, but other films like 'Taken' for example shouldn't have a sequel. Silly. And so the originality further leaks out of Hollywood...
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,767
    Here is an interesting bit about how the "never before told story", which was a major point during the advertising campaign for The Amazing Spiderman, and which was a main justification for a re-boot, was possibly cut out of the movie, so that it could be built up to a trilogy better.
    Unfortunately it´s in German and I´m too lazy to translate it all and I can´t find the ´badass digest´ mentioned in the article which is supposed to host the English original. But anyhow:
    http://www.filmstarts.de/nachrichten/18474180.html
    The untold story about Peter's parents was always meant to cover the duration of the trilogy. It was never planned to be resolved in the first film.
  • I took my son to see it at the weekend, I grew up on Spidey comics and I have to say, this version felt more like the originals than the Raimi movies, I always remember reading the comics and thinking Peter Parker was just a kid not much older than me, and I thought Garfield was a better fit in that respect than Maguire.

Thouroughly enjoyed it, especially Uncle Ben and Aunt May who as others have mentioned, came across as very natural and the back story with Peter's parents is well set up for the next movies.

I'd give it a solid 8/10.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 1,856

Thouroughly enjoyed it, especially Uncle Ben and Aunt May who as others have mentioned.

Meatloaf anyone?

No I really have to agree all the jokes where good in this one. Especially some of the dialogue between Ben/May and Peter/Gwen.