The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

doubleoego wrote:
    There's more to the story than Raimi not wanting to do what the producers wanted. Also a little too late. Venom was shoehorned into the script and even though Raimi didn't like the character it's no excuse for doing a crappy job. Raimi should have walked before production started on SM3. Furthermore, Sony could have got some patsy director to go ahead with SM4 but thank God for Disney. With marvel being bought by Disney, Disney laid down a few ground rules, which is why this production is being treated with more seriousness than the previous 3. Good times ahead for this particular spider-man fan.

It's still Sony.....

Because of all the film rights and contracts from before the purchase of Marvel by Disney. Disney would have to wait for the contracts to run or buy the rights (Which they've done for the Avengers). Simerly with the Theme Parks Universal brought the Marvel rights for their parks, then Disney brought Marvel but Universal (the arch enemy) can use Spiderman ect. In their parks and it's the same thing with the films.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2012 Posts: 11,139
    I know its Sony. I never ever disputed that. What I was saying was, before Disney got involved marvel as a company had no real standing in the big leagues of movie-making. The company filed for bankruptcy about 12 years ago the fact that these movies were taking off was a huge service and perfect timing for marvel as a company. Anyway, point is, Marvel were in no way near the same league in terms of business acumen as Disney were and are.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Interesting take on trailer....this could be 100X better than the other Spidey movies. I always thought Maguire was never convincing as Peter Parker. And after the monstrosity known as Spiderman 3 ( I still can't believe that Venom..one of the best villains, was on screen for like 10 minutes), I am ready for another attempt and The Amazing Spiderman might just be the ticket.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Whose looking forward to seeing this film? I will probably check it out this weekend (NOT in 3D) but I'm skeptical as to how good it will be. I like Spiderman as a superhero but I'm not crazy about the other three films. The first one was okay. Is this film supposed to be darker than the ones with Maguire? From the trailer it doesn't really look like it.
    No from the trailer it doesn´t look dark at all. Not that Spiderman is supposed to be very dark.
    What turned me off was that teenage vibe I get from the trailer. I want adult heros.
    And part of the special effects look horribly cheap already in the trailer.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    boldfinger wrote:
    No from the trailer it doesn´t look dark at all. Not that Spiderman is supposed to be very dark.
    What turned me off was that teenage vibe I get from the trailer. I want adult heros.

You sound like Stan Lee's boss way back when.
    Yeah, I want adult heroes too. The teenager oriented feel has put me off a bit too but Parker is a teenager in the comics too isn't he? I only read a couple of the comics when I was a kid and I don't remember anything. I suspect one gets less of a "teenage vibe" from the comics though or am I wrong about this? I've always been told that Spiderman isn't supposed to be dark but I heard that the new film would be. I'll see the film on Saturday but I'm not expecting anything "spectacular".
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,598
    boldfinger wrote:

Yeah, I want adult heroes too. The teenage oriented feel has put me off a bit too but Parker is a teenager in the comics too isn't he? I only read a couple of the comics when I was a kid and I don't remember anything. I suspect one gets less of a "teenage vibe" from the comics though or am I wrong about this? I've always been told that Spiderman isn't supposed to be dark but I heard that the new film would be. I'll see the film on Saturday but I'm not expecting anything "spectacular".

Is it possible to delete posts yet?
    edited June 2012 Posts: 11,139
    This film will be good. From the people that i know have seen it, they're saying it's better than Raimi's spidey movies and that Peter/Spider-Man is the real deal this time, unlike the hopelessly dorky and socially pathetic interpretation we got with Maguire in the role. I'm seeing this movie 1 week from today!

However, there are some reviewers that dont like the fact that it's a reboot and funnily enough mark the film down simply because the movie exists.
    boldfinger wrote:

I think Stan Lee´s boss was a cool guy ;-) .
    Jest aside, obviously the success of Stan Lee´s works proves that a teenage hero resonates with a multitude of people. Fair enough. I just find it boring to watch young people go through their adolescent period. Not since my childhood days did I want to see teenage heros, I always liked the adult ones.

Bounine wrote:
    Yeah, I want adult heroes too. The teenager oriented feel has put me off a bit too but Parker is a teenager in the comics too isn't he? I only read a couple of the comics when I was a kid and I don't remember anything. I suspect one gets less of a "teenage vibe" from the comics though or am I wrong about this? I've always been told that Spiderman isn't supposed to be dark but I heard that the new film would be. I'll see the film on Saturday but I'm not expecting anything "spectacular".

I remember that Spiderman has initially very little darkness it is about a schoolboy that get superpowers and than gets to learn an important lesson. But overall the Spiderman series originally is not known for its darkness.
    I am glad that this is a step back from Raimi's version and that it steers towards a more youth orientated direction. That is were Spidermans roots lay.

All this gritty stuff nowadays is vastly overrated. One reason why I will watch TDKR on dvd I dislike the property in Nolans hands. On the other hands I found the Avenger movie a sigth of lightness among the general tendency to go Dark.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Early reviews for this are very good, so I may have to look into it at some point.
    Bounine wrote:
    Is it possible to delete posts yet?

No, annoyingly.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Bounine wrote:

I remember that Spiderman has initially very little darkness it is about a schoolboy that get superpowers and than gets to learn an important lesson. But overall the Spiderman series originally is not known for its darkness.
    I am glad that this is a step back from Raimi's version and that it steers towards a more youth orientated direction. That is were Spidermans roots lay.

All this gritty stuff nowadays is vastly overrated. One reason why I will watch TDKR on dvd I dislike the property in Nolans hands. On the other hands I found the Avenger movie a sigth of lightness among the general tendency to go Dark.

Spider-Man isn't dark as batman but the source material has had more than it's fair share of dark moments. That being said, from people that I know who have seen this new spidey movie, the film is nowhere near as dark as what people thought it was going to be.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Spider-Man isn't dark as batman but the source material has had more than it's fair share of dark moments. That being said, from people that I know who have seen this new spidey movie, the film is nowhere near as dark as what people thought it was going to be.

Which in my book a good thing. I remember Spidey as a smartmouthed loner that struggles with love and money while studying and earning a buck as photographer.
    His comics made me more than once laugh out loud. Sam Raimi's version did not do that for me. So perhaps this new movie does have a better tone and from what I have heard that might just be the case.

Saw the first one, never bothered with the others, I'm not really a Spiderman fan. It looks cool though and since it's a reboot I won't have to watch the other films first, so I might check it out.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    boldfinger wrote:
    boldfinger wrote:

I think Stan Lee´s boss was a cool guy ;-) .
    Jest aside, obviously the success of Stan Lee´s works proves that a teenage hero resonates with a multitude of people. Fair enough. I just find it boring to watch young people go through their adolescent period. Not since my childhood days did I want to see teenage heros, I always liked the adult ones.
    I see where you are coming from. A lot of the time, properties with teenagers in it turn into hormone fueled melodramas. YUCK!
    "I just find it boring to watch young people go through their adolescent period. Not since my childhood days did I want to see teenage heros, I always liked the adult ones."

I'm the same. Young Bond isn't too bad though. :)
    I'm not overly thrilled about the fact that Toby McGuire isn't Spider-Man in this "re-boot". The other guy looks like a loser, not at all as good as Toby the Man! And seriously, what's with the new suit? Was the other one that bad? It just won't be the same without the old lot of actors who played Peter, Mary Jane, Aunt May, Harry, and J. Jonah Jameson. Ahh, where have all the good times gone?
    00Beast wrote:
    I'm not overly thrilled about the fact that Toby McGuire isn't Spider-Man in this "re-boot". The other guy looks like a loser, not at all as good as Toby the Man! And seriously, what's with the new suit? Was the other one that bad? It just won't be the same without the old lot of actors who played Peter, Mary Jane, Aunt May, Harry, and J. Jonah Jameson. Ahh, where have all the good times gone?

Exactly. Those films were my childhood, and now, I am bitter to put it lightly. But, after Kiderman flea, who knows what could have happened.
    00Beast wrote:

Exactly. Those films were my childhood, and now, I am bitter to put it lightly. But, after Kiderman flea, who knows what could have happened.

It just won't be the same. In fact, my brother and I just bought the new game to the movie, and I simply keep comparing it to Spider-Man 2 the game without even realizing it. In fact, I had to fire up the GameCube and put in SM 2 just to get back to my roots!
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

It just won't be the same. In fact, my brother and I just bought the new game to the movie, and I simply keep comparing it to Spider-Man 2 the game without even realizing it. In fact, I had to fire up the GameCube and put in SM 2 just to get back to my roots!
    Oh, I should do that. SM2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I was such an experience, getting to hold New York in your hands, go anywhere, do anything.
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Oh, I should do that. SM2 is one of my favorite games of all time. I was such an experience, getting to hold New York in your hands, go anywhere, do anything.

Precisely! The web swinging is just simply an epic experience! There are no limits whatsoever, except for the water, which you can't swim in, sadly. But you can commit suicide by jumping off of the Empire State Building (lots of fun!), throw thugs off of rooftops, choose whether or not to save the falling construction worker (I did that today and let him die, hahaha), choose whether or not to save the people trapped on a skinking boat, cross the bridge into Roosevelt Island, hitch a ride on a helicopter to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, prevent car jackings, help the police take down criminals, I mean literally anything!!
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

Precisely! The web swinging is just simply an epic experience! There are no limits whatsoever, except for the water, which you can't swim in, sadly. But you can commit suicide by jumping off of the Empire State Building (lots of fun!), throw thugs off of rooftops, choose whether or not to save the falling construction worker (I did that today and let him die, hahaha), choose whether or not to save the people trapped on a skinking boat, cross the bridge into Roosevelt Island, hitch a ride on a helicopter to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, prevent car jackings, help the police take down criminals, I mean literally anything!!

How vindictive! I always try to save the civilians. You are Spiderman after all! The rare mission with people on the sunken boat was fun, yet difficult. Have you played Ultimate Spiderman?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7: Yeah, I used to have it, and it was mildly fun, but I sold it a few months after just because I grew tired of it.
    Oh... so here comes another reboot. How original. We've already got a 'Punisher' reboot, a Superman reboot, a X-men reboot, a Batman reboot, The Hulk reboot etc...Guess there's room for one more.
    Zekidk wrote:
    Oh... so here comes another reboot. How original. We've already got a 'Punisher' reboot, a Superman reboot, a X-men reboot, a Batman reboot, The Hulk reboot etc...Guess there's room for one more.

Yeah I know, I hate re-boots as well. There's no need for them. If they wanted to continue making Spider-Man movies but without McGuire, then just get a new Spider-Man actor but continue off of SM 3 instead of wiping the slate clean.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Zekidk wrote:

It's the current trend in Hollywood, reboot all franchises to make them "grittier and darker", etc.

http://www.cracked.com/funny-6832-reboot/
    Zekidk wrote:

I've got no issues with reboots. I prefer them to direct remakes which more often than not are disappointing. Reboots can take on a whole new direction. Besides great characters deserve different interpretations as opposed to dragging out movie after movie in an existing series that could become tired and lack creativity.
    Zekidk wrote:

I've got no issues with reboots. I prefer them to direct remakes which more often than not are disappointing. Reboots can take on a whole new direction. Besides great characters deserve different interpretations as opposed to dragging out movie after movie in an existing series that could become tired and lack creativity.

They're really the same thing.
    c
    Zekidk wrote:

They're really the same thing.

They can be of course. I think want I meant was a reboot of a series as opposed to a remake of an individual film. Example would be, doing a direct remake of Dr No. I would be against that. Dr No is a classic which should be left alone. However the reboot of the Bond movies with CR was a great idea and worked well for me.