The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The 'divide and focus on other characters' route is what I was getting at. They planned a villain film at one point mind, Magneto, but that got molded into First Class.

That's what I thought you were referring to, that rumored 'Origins: Magneto' film, when they had plans to branch out from Wolverine and do some films focusing on the other characters.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The 'divide and focus on other characters' route is what I was getting at. They planned a villain film at one point mind, Magneto, but that got molded into First Class.
    So in all fairness the Secret Six film could turn into something completely different

though if done right Utlizing a character like maybe Doc Ock or Kraven who in the beginning of the film is a villain but by the end takes on the rest of the Sinister six maybe?

Could be interesting and a completely different spin on Villiany and comic book movies.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I love Spidey and should be excited, but on the other hand I know Sony care primarily about saving their financial carcasses and keeping the rights to these characters from Marvel/DC, so I don't know if this so called "unprecedented" creative move to build on the universe is more for the money or joy of toying with the character and his world.

The thing I don't like about these announcements of future sequels down the road is that it spoils the arcs that the writers are building in the films we haven't even seen yet. Thanks to the latest ASM 2 trailer (horrid marketing) we know that the Sinister Six will likely be born out of experiments at Oscorp, spoiling that little twist, and the announcement of a Venom film tells us that Eddie Brock will either be introduced in ASM 2 or definitely 3, which again spoils that surprise for the fans. The Venom film doesn't have me as worried as The Sinister Six does, though, as the filmmakers can't do any worse than Marvel did with the character.

With Sinister Six, having six villains in one film that is only two to two and a half hours is quite honestly nuts. ASM 2 only has three villains in it and it is already too ambitious for one film, so how the hell are they going to pull The Sinister Six off? Hopefully the villains in ASM 2 will be a part of the six, so that they only have three more to introduce in the spinoff, which won't make it such a mess of characters. I also don't really see the point of leaving Spiderman out completely, as he is the one to come and see the films for in the first place. He isn't like Batman where you could rely on just the rouges gallery alone to create a unique story. I love Spidey and his villains, but they've got nothing on the likes of Joker, Ra's, Two-Face, Hugo Strange and more.
    New posters:

78441.jpg

78440.jpg

78439.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Every image of electro is the exact same pose/image.

That last poster looks like a classic front page spidey comic of the Larson or McFarlane era.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is too sad, this will be the first Spidey-film that i will miss out on.
    When i was younger i loved all of the films in the previous trilogy, but as the year went by my view on them changed. And unfortunately the last film was a muddling dissapointment with too much teenage-drama and an overall approach i didn't like.

And neither the trailers, the premise or the poster has wetted my appetite for this one.
    Shame though.
  • edited January 2014 Posts: 14,797
    So... Electro is a hoodie now? Not really impressed by his new look.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    MrBond wrote:
    This is too sad, this will be the first Spidey-film that i will miss out on.
    When i was younger i loved all of the films in the previous trilogy, but as the year went by my view on them changed. And unfortunately the last film was a muddling dissapointment with too much teenage-drama and an overall approach i didn't like.

And neither the trailers, the premise or the poster has wetted my appetite for this one.
    Shame though.

Well, I think you should at least see the film once to truly judge it, but to each his own. Though, if you've seen the trailer you don't even need to watch the film. ;)
    Ludovico wrote:
    So... Electro is a hoodie now? Not really impressed by his new look.

It's not really a new look though. Electro's had this look for about 14 years now. These new spidey movies drawing their inspiration more from the UMU as opposed to the traditional 616U.
    I haven't read a comic book in a,while I admit. And I know they could not get the original design. Still, I don't find it very good.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I don't see what the problem is. The first was great and the second looks like it will be great. People judge too much before seeing a movie... welcome to the internet I guess.
    I don't see what the problem is. The first was great and the second looks like it will be great. People judge too much before seeing a movie... welcome to the internet I guess.

I didn't like the first. I mean it was not bad, just not very good.
    I am not too bothered about the whole hoodie thing? Although all of a sudden I am having flashbacks of ZAO from DAD! ;))
  • MrBondMrBond Station S

Because i'm still quite young and don't have that much money every month i try to do as much research for the things i'm going to invest in before i invest in them. And a visit to the cinema here in Sweden is expensive and i will not put money on something that doesn't look interesting. I'll rather save them to watch the upcoming "X-Men" a couple of times instead!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Marc Webb will direct The Amazing Spider-Man 3.

The spin-offs are planned to come out every year, so likely in 2017 and 2019 filling the gap between the fourth - and you would think - fifth film.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/analysts-sony-pictures-needs-to-release-more-release-more-tentpoles-1201118909/
    Oh boy.....
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Release date changes:

Sinister Six - November 11, 2016
    The Amazing Spider-Man 3 - Sometime in 2018

Yes, four years between films coming off the back of a dud...
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107
    Sony May Reboot And Recast SPIDER-MAN With SINISTER SIX; VENOM Movie Reportedly Scrapped
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108839#Cv58Z7Yr6eBHg3ko.99
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Good. Not a fan of the current cast.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Good. Not a fan of the current cast.

Agreed. I grew up reading a Spider-Man who was already married and a college graduate, and I'm sad it seems we're never gonna see that on screen. The JMS run of Amazing Spider-Man where he was a science teacher that delved deep into his adult relationships with May and MJ was one of my favorite runs ever (minus the stupid spider totem stuff and the ghastly ending, obviously). I loved seeing Peter Parker in a different stage of life, figuring out what power and responsibility were now that he was a little older.

Is this crap for real? Jeez!

It's a sad state of affairs when Marvel's flagship character is being so callously basterdized and playing 2nd fiddle to b and c level Marvel characters.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    It's what happens when said B and C level characters have a billion dollar crossover.
    Never in a million years did I ever think an Iron Man movie or Captain America movie let alone a GotG movie dwarf a spider-man movie in every conceivable way. Hell, the fact that a GotG movie based on relatively rebooted characters even got made and amassed the success it got still staggers me but I guess its the power of the brand. Spidey needs to come home and reclaim his rightful crown.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 28,694
    I read about this news a few days back, and if true, the series will be even more hopeless than it already is. Garfield, while sometimes mismatched as Parker, works, and scrapping him for another actor wouldn't help Sony's cause. If they think the best solution to fixing their box office numbers is to swap out their biggest leading man, they are sorely mistaken.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I heard mention of a soft reboot. Maybe they'll keep Garfield, just like they kept Nick Cage in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, and change everything else.
    I heard mention of a soft reboot. Maybe they'll keep Garfield, just like they kept Nick Cage in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance, and change everything else.

Not really a soft reboot then, is it? Sony baffles me sometimes...

I miss the Raimi Spider-Man now more than ever...
    The problem with Dehaan's Harry is that his friendship with Peter is forced (like so much else in ASM2). We're told they are best friends but the relationship is not organic. Even more forced is Harry's hatred of Peter and Spider-Man. Sure, he was desperate and needed Spidey's blood but the turn is too sudden and doesn't do the character justice. Perhaps if he was introduced in ASM1 we would get a better sense of their history but, as is, the film seemed to fast-track him to Goblin-hood at the expense of depth.
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    The problem with Dehaan's Harry is that his friendship with Peter is forced (like so much else in ASM2). We're told they are best friends but the relationship is not organic. Even more forced is Harry's hatred of Peter and Spider-Man. Sure, he was desperate and needed Spidey's blood but the turn is too sudden and doesn't do the character justice. Perhaps if he was introduced in ASM1 we would get a better sense of their history but, as is, the film seemed to fast-track him to Goblin-hood at the expense of depth.

I agree completely. The great think about the Raimi films is that they organically developed the friendship Pete and Harry had, which made their later conflicts feel real and possess high stakes.

The problem with TASM2 as a whole is how jam packed it is. The filmmakers kept it all way too busy and tried to make all the various elements in the plot work all at once, which made them sacrifice character relations like those between Harry and Peter or Spider-Man and Max along the way, which would have only made the film better.

Without Emma and Andrew's dynamic to rely on in the next film, I'm worried about what the hell TASM3 is going to be like. The big question will be if we'll have to wait until after the Sinister Six film in 2016 to see the third one even start production, which would be upsetting. Although, I did hear that the Sinister Six film involves Spider-Man and the villains coming together to combat a common threat, so that means we'd get to see Garfield again before the third film releases. Fingers crossed on that one.
    I guess it depends on if Garfield would come back or not. If he does, then just add ASM to the MCU. If he is recast, then option one is most appropriate, reboot Spidey into the MCU.
    I just read that TASM3 has been pushed back to 2018, with no release date yet to be targeted. How utterly depressing. Sony is so focused on all of these spin-off films (that don't sound that interesting at all) that they've taken their eye off the main prize: Spider-Man and the new universe they worked so hard to create with Garfield at the top of the pyramid. If they are displeased with the box office numbers TASM2 brought in, postponing the follow-up to that film for four years at the very least is not a great strategy, as even less of their audience with be interested by then. The third film is apparently supposed to be all about Pete mourning Gwen and trying his best to move on with his life, but how well is that idea going to relate if we have to wait almost half a decade for the story to continue on? Sony makes me so sad sometimes...

spiderman_crying.gif