The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Meh. I have my Spidey trilogy.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Meh. I have my Spidey trilogy.

Yeah thank god for that .
    I just read that TASM3 has been pushed back to 2018, with no release date yet to be targeted. How utterly depressing. Sony is so focused on all of these spin-off films (that don't sound that interesting at all) that they've taken their eye off the main prize: Spider-Man and the new universe they worked so hard to create with Garfield at the top of the pyramid. If they are displeased with the box office numbers TASM2 brought in, postponing the follow-up to that film for four years at the very least is not a great strategy, as even less of their audience with be interested by then. The third film is apparently supposed to be all about Pete mourning Gwen and trying his best to move on with his life, but how well is that idea going to relate if we have to wait almost half a decade for the story to continue on? Sony makes me so sad sometimes...

spiderman_crying.gif

I don't find those spin-off films interesting too I just don't care for them .
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2014 Posts: 13,350
    I just read that TASM3 has been pushed back to 2018, with no release date yet to be targeted.

Announced in July. See my post further up the page.

Sony knows something is wrong. They're trying to fix it. Problem is, how?
    Samuel001 wrote: »

Write the next movie well, not by committee.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I just read that TASM3 has been pushed back to 2018, with no release date yet to be targeted.

Yes, they definitely seem to think a slightly underwhelming box office intake is the end of days for them (how dramatic) and think giving the big blockbuster Spider-Man films a rest from the big screen will fix all that. As I said previously, that just doesn't work. You can't have a film like this that sets up so much of what will be coming in the next film and just let it sit for four years while the public twiddles their thumbs waiting for it to continue. To be honest, the film would've collected more box office bucks if it deserved it, but I honestly don't think it did.

After watching it for the first time a few weeks back I kept waiting for it to be awesome, waiting for it to impress me, but that moment never really hit. Electro was a bust, Harry was an absolute fatality, and the plot was a mess with too many things going on or being set up. You can't just introduce new characters like Harry out of the blue without any mention of them previously and expect us to believe that he and Pete are buddies, especially since the chemistry (or lack thereof) between Dehaan and Garfield is nearly non-existent to begin with. And don't even get me started on the CGI. The effects in the first film were great because they didn't seem so stupidly cartoony like they are in this one. Having a first film with realistic effects/lifelike CGI models and then making them stylistic and comic-booky in the second one doesn't translate well to the overall vision, especially since their visible fakery completely takes you out of the experience.

The saving grace of that entire film is Peter and Gwen's relationship, because Andrew and Emma have some of the best, most natural chemistry I have ever seen in an onscreen duo, and I'm not just saying that. As much as this film is flawed, I completely laud those casting choices. I can see why they are an item off screen if they are able to look so in love in the world the Sony adaption has created.

Yes, they definitely seem to think a slightly underwhelming box office intake is the end of days for them (how dramatic) and think giving the big blockbuster Spider-Man films a rest from the big screen will fix all that. As I said previously, that just doesn't work. You can't have a film like this that sets up so much of what will be coming in the next film and just let it sit for four years while the public twiddles their thumbs waiting for it to continue. To be honest, the film would've collected more box office bucks if it deserved it, but I honestly don't think it did.

After watching it for the first time a few weeks back I kept waiting for it to be awesome, waiting for it to impress me, but that moment never really hit. Electro was a bust, Harry was an absolute fatality, and the plot was a mess with too many things going on or being set up. You can't just introduce new characters like Harry out of the blue without any mention of them previously and expect us to believe that he and Pete are buddies, especially since the chemistry (or lack thereof) between Dehaan and Garfield is nearly non-existent to begin with. And don't even get me started on the CGI. The effects in the first film were great because they didn't seem so stupidly cartoony like they are in this one. Having a first film with realistic effects/lifelike CGI models and then making them stylistic and comic-booky in the second one doesn't translate well to the overall vision, especially since their visible fakery completely takes you out of the experience.

The saving grace of that entire film is Peter and Gwen's relationship, because Andrew and Emma have some of the best, most natural chemistry I have ever seen in an onscreen duo, and I'm not just saying that. As much as this film is flawed, I completely laud those casting choices. I can see why they are an item off screen if they are able to look so in love in the world the Sony adaption has created.

I agree with everything you sad. I think that Spidey maybe stays at Sony and they just keep getting rent from Marvel . Or Marvel would own the film rights, but pay a royalty to Sony. It's like someone inventing something and selling it to a big company for a royalty. Every time that company sells that product, they pay a small percentage (royalty) to the person that created it. They can still use that product and sell as many as they want, they just pay a certain percentage to the guy that sold it to them every time they sell/use it.

Marvel would be able to use Spidey in their MCU as much as they want, but every dollar Spidey brings in, Sony gets their cut. Marvel makes money, Sony makes money, fans are happy.
    You're talking logic; it has no place in corporate film production.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    You're talking logic; it has no place in corporate film production.
    That's sadly true. If only we ran things...

I totally forgot that this thread existed. I love this Spidey reboot. If Marvel Studios made the same exact films people would lose their mind.
    This is what Spidey is all about. I am looking forward to Sinister Six/TASM3
    dragonsky wrote: »
    If Marvel Studios made the same exact films people would lose their mind.
    To quote Ethan Hunt from MI:2, "Not really."
    dragonsky wrote: »
    If Marvel Studios made the same exact films people would lose their mind.
    To quote Ethan Hunt from MI:2, "Not really."

I concur. If Marvel made TASM2 and it turned out just like this, I'd still hold contempt for it. However, I do wish Spider-Man was back at his PROPER home, with all the rest of his comic cohorts where he belongs.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The biggest thing missing from this current series that Raimi's movies had is gravitas. As a diehard spideyfan, I really disliked what Raimi did with all 3 of his movies and wished they could be better but the one undeniable thing Raimi was able to give his movies was a sense of cinematic scope which I feel Webb's movies just don't have. For years on another site I'm a member of I bitched and moaned about how Raimi got so many things wrong, for years I wasted my life complaining and now, although some of the execution is better in Webb's movies overall, Raimi's output is stronger and made spidey a superior cinematic brand.
    What Sony have done and are doing is beyond idiotic. What they did with ASM2 is what they did with Raimi's SM3 and the exact reason why we got a reboot in the first place and surprise-surprise look at where we are at. Rebooting the series with a change of cast will not solve the fundamental problem. The stories and screenplay need to be fixed and improved upon and the treatment of the characters need to be conveyed in a sensible way.

Rhino never should have been in ASM2 at all. All this talk of spinoff movies with venom, sinister 6 or a female-driven movie is a waste of time and resources. You cant even get your principle character right, who just so happens to be Marvel's flagship character and then the execs think its a brilliant idea to branch out. Seriously, Disney are serious big boys, they need to get their lawyers to do what ever they have to to get spidey back. He needs to go back home because as stand alone movies as well as being part of the avengers, as long as spidey is part of the MCU, the speed and interest at which spidey will be top dog again will be devastatingly quick.
    I disliked TASM. The only thing TASM series does better is how it shows that Spidey has a sense of humour. As a whole I like the Raimi series better. I agree about Peter-Harry relationship. TASM 2 ; crap, crap, crap! SM ; Organic, we see it develop.
    SharkBait wrote: »
    I disliked TASM. The only thing TASM series does better is how it shows that Spidey has a sense of humour. As a whole I like the Raimi series better. I agree about Peter-Harry relationship. TASM 2 ; crap, crap, crap! SM ; Organic, we see it develop.

Exactly.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Marvel just need to get him back. Period.
    I just think If Marvel and Sony went through with it, I'd expect Garfield to stick around as Spidey. He's reasonably popular and he wants to do it. Plus, audiences might otherwise be confused about certain aspects of Spider-Man's status quo if they suddenly get the third actor in a ten year period.
    edited October 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    I just think If Marvel and Sony went through with it, I'd expect Garfield to stick around as Spidey. He's reasonably popular and he wants to do it. Plus, audiences might otherwise be confused about certain aspects of Spider-Man's status quo if they suddenly get the third actor in a ten year period.

I agree. I think Andrew would be through the roof at the news. It's great that we have a Spidey actor who loves and knows the character just as much as the fans.
    Although I have not seen the second movie yet? I enjoyed his portrayal of Peter Parker in the first film. If he can be rejoined with the rest of the Marvel heroes? That would be fantastic to see!
    The challenge for me is that I've really enjoyed the Raimi films, but I had no problem with a reboot. I like Garfield and know he could make an excellent Spidey (as could Tobey) but Webb was simply the wrong director for these films, and whoever wrote the scripts was not equipped to handle the franchise. The first film was clearly rushed. But the second showed they were inept.
    Interesting :

Think "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" Was A Box Office Failure?
    Read more at http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man_movies/the_amazing_spider-man_2/news/?a=109367#bCA3wvP4thxTwadT.99
    lunnchoop wrote: »

Oscorp hall of spin-offs :))
    I just found this deleted scene from the film on YouTube and was blown away by it:

This is the kind of thing that should've been in the film, not pointless action shot after action shot or all that Rhino nonsense. I hope they use this in the next film.
    I just found this deleted scene from the film on YouTube and was blown away by it:

This is the kind of thing that should've been in the film, not pointless action shot after action shot or all that Rhino nonsense. I hope they use this in the next film.

I saw this scene a while ago and agian I agree with you .

Care to offer any theories on how the hell Richard and Mary survived that crash? Cause, I'm lost.

I still hope to see this idea (Richard faking his death to protect Peter) come to fruition, and I hope it wasn't left out because the filmmakers changed their minds about the story arcs they wanted to hit in the next films. If this scene was put in the second film right before we see Peter face Rhino it would make a lot more sense why he suddenly felt so empowered to go on. They would've had to incorporate the winter setting to the fight between the two, but I feel the ending would have been much more epic and powerful with it. Anyway...
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 1,107

Care to offer any theories on how the hell Richard and Mary survived that crash? Cause, I'm lost.

I still hope to see this idea (Richard faking his death to protect Peter) come to fruition, and I hope it wasn't left out because the filmmakers changed their minds about the story arcs they wanted to hit in the next films. If this scene was put in the second film right before we see Peter face Rhino it would make a lot more sense why he suddenly felt so empowered to go on. They would've had to incorporate the winter setting to the fight between the two, but I feel the ending would have been much more epic and powerful with it. Anyway...

Some theories are that he is maybe chameleon or mysterio playing tricks on Peter.
    I think that the most infuriating thing about TASM 2 is the waste of its talent. You get Jammie Fox in your movie and you give him the role of one of the cheesiest villains in recent years (i'm fine with Max, but you don't give this character to an actor like Jammie Fox. You just don't). Then you get Paul Giammanti and you give him the role of ZE RHINO and he's only in the movie for five minutes tops delivering cheesy lines. Then, you get Chris Cooper, another legendary actor, and he's in the film for ONE scene. I mean, it's so obvious that Sony casted these actors because they thought that they would be the ones that would get them the money. Apparently, a well crafted story isn't at the top of their priorities. Or at the priorities of any studio for that matter. And I hope I'm not alone who think that in all five of the previous movies Peter or Spider-Man had some pre-existing relationship with everyone of his villains before they got their powers. If the world's full of super heroes and villains the power and responsibility thing would play out better if he's stopping some of these guys simply because they're bad, he's good and he has the power to take them down.

Spider-Man's the problem and needs to go away if he has a hand in every villain's origin.