The Amazing Spider-Man (2012 - 2014)

Comments

• The Spiderman movies were the best. The Green Goblin was the best villain and Spiderman is the hero in the movie too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2014 Posts: 45,489
    Spiderman does not throw quips every 30 seconds? What Spidey comics have you read, Dalton12?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Spiderman does not throw quips every 30 seconds? What Spidey comics have you read, Dalton12?

There is a nice balance. We don't want him to be running his mouth constantly, but a good bit of jokes here and there work, a number that doesn't make you tire of them and roll your eyes. Plus, I for one would rather have three or four great Spidey jokes (Don't call me late for dinner), than dozens of mediocre ones. I think Raimi's films met that balance well, as did the first Amazing Spider-Man. I need to see #2 again soon to determine how I feel about it overall.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I agree, however, Raimi's spidey was too muted but the results appear for me anyway to be better than Garfield's constant yapping that was for the most part rather lame. The quipping needs to be moderated and Garfield's portrayal overall lacks a certain earnestness that Peter has always shown. When I hear or read spidey, there are 3 voices that pop in and adjust accordingly in my mind, Christopher Daniel Barnes, Rino Romano and Josh Keaton. There's just something off about the way Peter/Spidey is portrayed in this "Amazing" series and its hurting the character.

There is a nice balance. We don't want him to be running his mouth constantly, but a good bit of jokes here and there work, a number that doesn't make you tire of them and roll your eyes. Plus, I for one would rather have three or four great Spidey jokes (Don't call me late for dinner), than dozens of mediocre ones. I think Raimi's films met that balance well, as did the first Amazing Spider-Man. I need to see #2 again soon to determine how I feel about it overall.

Nice post I Agree .
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,107
    The scene with the car thief was also pretty bad. He could easily have taken out the theif, but decided to shove his crotch in his face for some reason. The writers got Spider-Man's quips wrong; he primarily does it because he knows his life was in danger, and lightens up the mood. He makes a lot less quips when he actually is in danger, fighting the Lizard (although this is somewhat understandable since Connors is his friend)
    But the way he behaves with Aunt May... now that's being a jerk. He just got her husband killed, the last thing Peter Parker would/should do is add to his aunt's worries.
    I was seriously disappointed with the way ASM showed Peter, it wasn't the Peter I grew up with. Sure he may be more relatable to today's angry high school nerds, but that's not the character. Peter is a goody two shoes, he has a brief moment of selfishness that's quickly turned into guilt that is the guiding force in his life. Peter isn't the teen who talks back to Aunt May, he's the one the goes out and gets a job to help provide for the family when Uncle Ben is gone. His quips are a defense mechanism, he's not doing it to just berate a mugger/car thief, hell, he probably wouldn't be making quips with a mugger/car thief. He uses it on supervillians to one calm himself down and two to throw the villain off their game. He wouldn't show up to dinner at Gwen's parents at Gwen's bedroom window (basically giving away his secret identity right there, although he does it right after dinner anyway), he wouldn't talk back to Captain Stacy and he'd definitely keep his promise to Captain Stacy longer than a couple days. This Spider-man was a cocky jerk and really for one reason, he never learned the great power, great responsibility thing and he doesn't feel the full burden of guilt for Uncle Ben's death. Peter should be portrayed as a stereotypical "good kid", not an arrogant teenager.
    The thing is, Peter Parker has always been a timeless character and his character traits are applicable for any era in time. 'Dalton12, I too cant stand the way Garfield's Peter interacts with Aunt May; I know the USM comics were supposed to be a major source of inspiration to draw from but even Peter as written by Bendis in that line wasn't a complete a-hole. If it's too much for these Sony clowns to read the actual comics, then just watch the 90s animated series and the spectacular spider-man cartoon....that's how you bloody do it.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The thing is, Peter Parker has always been a timeless character and his character traits are applicable for any era in time. 'Dalton12, I too cant stand the way Garfield's Peter interacts with Aunt May; I know the USM comics were supposed to be a major source of inspiration to draw from but even Peter as written by Bendis in that line wasn't a complete a-hole. If it's too much for these Sony clowns to read the actual comics, then just watch the 90s animated series and the spectacular spider-man cartoon....that's how you bloody do it.

100 % I Agree with you.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I agree with a lot of that, @Dalton12. People often say all the time that the Parker of TASM series is the one from the comics and that Maguire's was as far from the original as possible, but often for me it is the other way around. I love both interpretations on the whole, but if someone asked me which actor I think best portrayed the true character of Peter Parker, I would passionately shout Tobey's name.

For me, his Peter just had it all: you believed he was a dope that'd never be able to impress anyone, and especially not MJ of all people. You believed the relationship he had with Harry, which was built up throughout the series and not crammed in lazily like it is in ASM2. You believed all of Peter's faux pas and sympathized with his lack of confidence and unbelievable awkwardness. And most importantly of all, you felt his crippling guilt and anger following Uncle Ben's death, and his mission to use his powers for good. Maguire's interpretation honestly had everything I feel a Peter Parker should have.

While Andrew's Pete does a lot of this as well, especially nailing the pain of the character as so many of those important to him die tragically, I don't feel like he is an outsider quite as much, and he often does very show offish things I don't think Peter would do (like the time he obnoxiously kisses Gwen right on the stage at graduation). Even after Peter gets his powers in the comics he's still a very humble and awkward guy, and I don't think he'd do some of the things they've written him doing in ASM1 and 2.
    I agree with a lot of that, @Dalton12. People often say all the time that the Parker of TASM series is the one from the comics and that Maguire's was as far from the original as possible, but often for me it is the other way around. I love both interpretations on the whole, but if someone asked me which actor I think best portrayed the true character of Peter Parker, I would passionately shout Tobey's name.

For me, his Peter just had it all: you believed he was a dope that'd never be able to impress anyone, and especially not MJ of all people. You believed the relationship he had with Harry, which was built up throughout the series and not crammed in lazily like it is in ASM2. You believed all of Peter's faux pas and sympathized with his lack of confidence and unbelievable awkwardness. And most importantly of all, you felt his crippling guilt and anger following Uncle Ben's death, and his mission to use his powers for good. Maguire's interpretation honestly had everything I feel a Peter Parker should have.

While Andrew's Pete does a lot of this as well, especially nailing the pain of the character as so many of those important to him die tragically, I don't feel like he is an outsider quite as much, and he often does very show offish things I don't think Peter would do (like the time he obnoxiously kisses Gwen right on the stage at graduation). Even after Peter gets his powers in the comics he's still a very humble and awkward guy, and I don't think he'd do some of the things they've written him doing in ASM1 and 2.

Very well said mate. Garfield may be a better Spider-Man at times but when it comes to Peter Parker Tobey wins for me.
    I spent years giving Raimi and his spidey movies a hard time because I felt they should have been better and I still they could have been better but damn, looking at comic book movies at large from say, 2000 to now and rewatching all 3 Raimi flicks, I can say that I was overly critical and a lot of the stuff Raimi was able to achieve is astounding, especially for sm2.

Also...there's a degree of epicness that no other comic book movie has come close to matching with the powerful clip below

doubleoego wrote: »
    I spent years giving Raimi and his spidey movies a hard time because I felt they should have been better and I still they could have been better but damn, looking at comic book movies at large from say, 2000 to now and rewatching all 3 Raimi flicks, I can say that I was overly critical and a lot of the stuff Raimi was able to achieve is astounding, especially for sm2.

Also...there's a degree of epicness that no other comic book movie has come close to matching with the powerful clip below

That scene gives me chills Always.
    James Horner Didn't Score THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Because It Was "Just Dreadful"
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=112098
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    James Horner Didn't Score THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 Because It Was "Just Dreadful"
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=112098
    Horner agrees with me! Woo Hoo!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    According to the IMDB trivia, so does Andrew Garfield.
    edited December 2014 Posts: 28,694
    According to the IMDB trivia, so does Andrew Garfield.

Following the mixed critical and audience reaction to the film, star Andrew Garfield revealed that the screen-story had undergone major rewrites and restructuring during production. The original script focused more on the relationship between Gwen Stacey and Peter Parker, as well as the evolution of Max Dillion into the psychotic Electro and Harry Osbourn's descent into madness. During production at the behest of Sony studios, the story underwent a major overhaul to introduce a number of additional characters from the Spider-Man mythos, including Rhino, Black Cat, Dr. Kafka, with allusions to Mysterio, Vulture, Dr. Octopus, and Kraven the Hunter, among others with the hopes of creating a line of spin-off films. For his part, Garfield himself expressed his own disappointment at the deviation from the original story.

I share Andrew's sentiments; such a shame. Sony is so focused on stupid spin-offs that nobody wants to see, some of which wouldn't even have Spidey in them, that they are seriously harming Webb and his team's effectiveness in pleasing fans. TASM2 had an opportunity to be so much better that what we got.

I hope to one day see a director's cut of the film with these bits of flesh placed back on the bones of the story so that it doesn't feel so out of place or convoluted at times. I would give anything to see a director's cut of Gwen's death scene where Harry laughs at her corpse and Peter snaps, beating him into the ground with his bare hands. THAT would have been stellar and so in character for the moment.

The good news is that the screenwriters split up creativity after this film, so we shouldn't be seeing either back for subsequent films.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I would give anything to see a director's cut of Gwen's death scene where Harry laughs at her corpse and Peter snaps, beating him into the ground with his bare hands. THAT would have been stellar and so in character for the moment.
    I expected that, and didn't get it.
    Because Sony doesn't get it.

chrisisall wrote: »
    I would give anything to see a director's cut of Gwen's death scene where Harry laughs at her corpse and Peter snaps, beating him into the ground with his bare hands. THAT would have been stellar and so in character for the moment.
    I expected that, and didn't get it.
    Because Sony doesn't get it.

The worst thing is that in the film, the scene just ends, and we only see what happened to Harry in the post credits scene. Sony need to think about things other than $$$ for starters, and get their heads out of the gutter with these stupid spin-off pitches.
    Sony Have Approached Sam Raimi About Returning To The SPIDER-MAN Franchise
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112207

"Sony Hack" Documents Confirm Marvel Wants Spider-Man For CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112202
    *shakes head*

Spider-man doesn't deserve and never should have been put in this silly, messy predicament.
    Russo Bros. Offered To Produce Sony's SPIDER-MAN Films; Will Direct INFINITY WAR
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/news/?a=112313
    Wow!

Bloody hell, it's amazing what really goes on behind the scenes. I absolutely detest Aviemore Arab, can you believe the guy? Jeez.

Amy Pascal definitely needs to be reprimanded and Arab just needs to be space shuttled away somewhere.
    All this Sony 'Spider-Man' news is just sad. Sucks seeing such a great character so mishandled.

Getting rid of Arad and letting the Russo's produce would definitely help. The best thing to do is just let Marvel do it, Sony have ruined him enough. Was only the start of this year that I was excited about TASM2 and where the franchise was going, now I want nothing more than Sony to let go.
    I hate how much Raimi is painted as a hack for Spider-Man 3, when the worst stuff in the film (the symbiote/Venom) were all things that Sony made him put into the film, and took his creative control away from the entire project. Now, Amy Pascal, a Sony exec, gets to call him the fool? I honestly can't take the hypocrisy.

I don't know much of Avi Arad, and always thought he was good at his job because the Raimi films were so good, but looks like I'm wrong. If he is only thinking of making films for the merchandising, he can get the hell out of the picture. I don't know what it is with him and Sony about these spin-offs, but they need to realize and realize fast that nobody wants them, especially if Spidey is absent. We need actual filmmakers, people with creative visions and a love of the craft, not a greedy mindset and sapping imagination for what matters: SPIDER-MAN!

I can't even imagine how Andrew Garfield must feel right now, especially towards Sony's control over the films. He doesn't like how they take out the great content from scripts, just like they screwed Raimi and his team over, so I can't see him too enthusiastic about the future, especially if their behavior continues.

Sony are just idiots. What sense does it make to hold off on a sequel to TASM3 until 2018, when you think the last one didn't perform well enough? TASM3 is, according to Webb, a direct sequel to #2, dealing with Peter's mourning of Gwen, so why wait four years to continue that story when it needs to be made as fast as possible to keep audience interest? By 2018 audiences will have forgotten that arc was even still going on, or wonder why the hell it took so long to continue it. Sony is obviously holding off on #3 because of #2's "disappointing" box office performance, but holding off on sequels doesn't help either. As I said, by 2018 audiences may have no interest invested in a number 3 after waiting so long, and the box office intake could be even worse, especially if Sony screw up with that film like they have for No. 2.

Spider-Man is my favorite comic book hero in the Marvel universe, and he deserves so much better than these fools.
    If TASM gets released in 2018 tgen it's going to be a bigger flop. Nobody's going to care. With Marvel 's movie slate dominating, which it will particularly Infinity war part one and what else will come out that year, spidey should just consider itself a dead series which is a travesty and me even typing this is shocking.
    I hate how much Raimi is painted as a hack for Spider-Man 3, when the worst stuff in the film (the symbiote/Venom) were all things that Sony made him put into the film, and took his creative control away from the entire project. Now, Amy Pascal, a Sony exec, gets to call him the fool? I honestly can't take the hypocrisy.

I don't know much of Avi Arad, and always thought he was good at his job because the Raimi films were so good, but looks like I'm wrong. If he is only thinking of making films for the merchandising, he can get the hell out of the picture. I don't know what it is with him and Sony about these spin-offs, but they need to realize and realize fast that nobody wants them, especially if Spidey is absent. We need actual filmmakers, people with creative visions and a love of the craft, not a greedy mindset and sapping imagination for what matters: SPIDER-MAN!

I can't even imagine how Andrew Garfield must feel right now, especially towards Sony's control over the films. He doesn't like how they take out the great content from scripts, just like they screwed Raimi and his team over, so I can't see him too enthusiastic about the future, especially if their behavior continues.

Sony are just idiots. What sense does it make to hold off on a sequel to TASM3 until 2018, when you think the last one didn't perform well enough? TASM3 is, according to Webb, a direct sequel to #2, dealing with Peter's mourning of Gwen, so why wait four years to continue that story when it needs to be made as fast as possible to keep audience interest? By 2018 audiences will have forgotten that arc was even still going on, or wonder why the hell it took so long to continue it. Sony is obviously holding off on #3 because of #2's "disappointing" box office performance, but holding off on sequels doesn't help either. As I said, by 2018 audiences may have no interest invested in a number 3 after waiting so long, and the box office intake could be even worse, especially if Sony screw up with that film like they have for No. 2.

Spider-Man is my favorite comic book hero in the Marvel universe, and he deserves so much better than these fools.

Great post ^:)^
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Was the montage scene with the dancing Sony's fault? I doubt it. That I blame directly on Raimi.
    Was the montage scene with the dancing Sony's fault? I doubt it. That I blame directly on Raimi.

I would say that's on Sony, yes. They wanted Venom in the film, and so the symbiote had to be introduced somehow. Peter gets taken over by the symbiote, and becomes a pompous fool, which we can see in scenes like that montage. The dancing montage and all that other crap wouldn't have been in the film without Sony's involvement.

And I could totally see those bean counters suggesting the script tbe changed to include that moment, hands down.
  • Can not think of anything good in Spiderman 3, its on the level of the Transformer movies when it comes to coherence. Raimi is not soully responsible though he was way below what he achieved in the first two movies.