Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    He won't hang glide over the title wave, will he?
    Oh dear. Terrible memories just flashed across my mind. Tom will at least do it without the CGI, which is something.
    July 27, 2017 - July 27, 2018: as of today, exactly 1 year left until Mission Impossible 6.
    Thanks for this @DaltonCraig007. I had no idea they were going for a mid summer release with this one. They must be confident.

Last weekend of August has become a spy weekend in the U.S. The previous M:I film had that slot, Jason Bourne last year and Atomic Blonde this year.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Will 2019 see another convergence of Spy-related films? 2015 had a boatload.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    They've found a nice light style with the last two imho. It's been more about the mission than about Tom Cruise & Ethan Hunt. I find that terribly refreshing. They've also captured the tone, spirit & feel which Bond films used to have in the Cubby era (imho).

I'm not sure if we'll get that again with MI6 (based on Christopher McQuarrie's recent comments), and if not, someone else will have to take over that space, because there is a market for it. Hopefully Bond will return there.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some BTS shots tease a big 'Mission: Impossible 6' stunt:

http://screenrant.com/mission-impossible-6-tom-cruise-parachute-images/
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Some BTS shots tease a big 'Mission: Impossible 6' stunt:

http://screenrant.com/mission-impossible-6-tom-cruise-parachute-images/

We joked about that earlier.
    These old timers had better be careful, as I've said before. It's a young man's game.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    These old timers had better be careful, as I've said before. It's a young man's game.
    He'll recover in a day or two. The injury isn't much of a thing for a man like his own which I am sure he has had plenty before.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    He'll recover in a day or two. The injury isn't much of a thing for a man like his own which I am sure he has had plenty before.

This is an area that he and Dan excel at. They take the hits, suck it up and move on. Though I always say, Tom's team must have panic attacks at times, dealing with him.
    He's older than me, but I can't help but root the man on, especially when he's doing it for real. Just hope this doesn't discourage him from carrying on with more MIs as long as it doesn't become a case of one too many. I'm looking at you AVTAK.

• edited August 2017 Posts: 4,600
    Looking at the vid, I think theres a chance it was rehearsed like that, the classic, hanging by your fingertips shot, he gets up and starts running again and look at the angle of the camera. He is on a safety line which would not have let him fall that far unless rehearsed. Just my thoughts.
    PS notice that the headline is "apparantly injured".
    BT3366 wrote: »
    He's older than me, but I can't help but root the man on, especially when he's doing it for real. Just hope this doesn't discourage him from carrying on with more MIs as long as it doesn't become a case of one too many. I'm looking at you AVTAK.

The gutsiest stunt in AVTAK was kissing Grace Jones and Sir Roger Moore did that stunt himself makes hanging on an airplane look like peanuts. ;)
    He is a professional, I am sure he will take advice and then carry on one way or another? He has a film deadline to meet.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

He hit that edge pretty hard. His limp afterwards showed pain, but not nearly as much as he was actually feeling, I'm sure. He may be 55, but his life clock age is some 10 years younger than that, so I'm certain he'll be back at it in no time. ;)
    It seems Cruise broke some bones in his ankle, and production will be halted up to four months:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/tom-cruise-breaks-two-bones-halts-production-mission-impossible-6-four-months-080331085.html
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    It seems Cruise broke some bones in his ankle, and production will be halted up to four months:

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/tom-cruise-breaks-two-bones-halts-production-mission-impossible-6-four-months-080331085.html
    Not a good sign for the film. I'll say it again, the old timers have to watch it with these stunts. Hopefully this is a wake up call for him, as SP was for Craig.
    Bummed about this news, especially if it means the film will be delayed, although I wouldn't be so much if it were moved back for a holiday release. These are some of the few films I'll actually venture into a cinema to pay money for these days.

I hope a speedy recovery for the Cruiser. I know a lot of people don't like or flat-out hate the guy, but when he says he works hard to give an audience its moneys worth I believe it. Although it's not the worst thing to have a stunt man sometimes.
    Not good! Get well soon Tom!
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Hey- it happened to Jackie Chan all the time. Tom has been very very lucky so far. But broken bones in the ankle usually means your jumping (for real) days are over...
    chrisisall wrote: »

Hey- it happened to Jackie Chan all the time. Tom has been very very lucky so far. But broken bones in the ankle usually means your jumping (for real) days are over...

He broke every single bone in his body during his decades long career, did he not? That man is a legend.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This is a real shame, especially if the film's stunts have to be changed or diluted for Cruise's condition if he doesn't heal up well after the break or still can't pull it off. It's clear why he does these films so much now, given that his time is running out to be able to do it to this capacity, but injuries like this must be discouraging.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Bare in mind that this news comes from none other than The Sun (home of the bulls**t). I'd wait for official news, gents.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Bare in mind that this news comes from none other than The Sun (home of the bulls**t). I'd wait for official news, gents.

The footage doesn't seem to be too sunny for Tom's condition judging by how he moves, so I think it's fairly safe to assume that he may not be in great shape after that hit.

The video seemed descriptive enough: he performed (and failed) the stunt twice and limped away each time. If he didn't break anything, then he must've sprained something. Good news is that London was their last stop for shooting, and I think they got all the major stunts out of the way already.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,588

The footage doesn't seem to be too sunny for Tom's condition judging by how he moves, so I think it's fairly safe to assume that he may not be in great shape after that hit.
    Oh, for sure. But who's to say the injury is any more severe than Dan's during SP, or Brosnan's during DAD? Production halted for a just a week on both occasions.

The video seemed descriptive enough: he performed (and failed) the stunt twice and limped away each time. If he didn't break anything, then he must've sprained something. Good news is that London was their last stop for shooting, and I think they got all the major stunts out of the way already.

@Creasy47, that last bit is a relief. I'm glad the team and Tom won't have to worry about rushing back to finish any big pieces of the stunts. It's crazy that he does so many insane things, but it's a simple jump that bites him this time. Glad he's okay though, and that it wasn't more severe.

Oh, for sure. But who's to say the injury is any more severe than Dan's during SP, or Brosnan's during DAD? Production halted for a just a week on both occasions.

@jake24, Dan's injury isn't a great example, as, though he toughed it out and came back to work the movie had to be shaped around it in some areas because of what he couldn't do while dealing with it. So while the production wasn't halted for long, it was changed due to the injury, and that's never good. Dan isn't the type to mope about it, but I'm sure the stress around it all was horrible, even outside the pain. Tom is just as professional and I'm sure he's in the same boat, more worried about getting the movie done right than himself.

But in no case is this kind of thing a good sign, as it jeopardizes or changes a production at times to a large degree.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,473

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst, I suppose. Would be great if he healed in just a week or so. The film is still roughly a year out and from what I've gathered, they didn't have much longer to film, so I think they could get away with keeping the same release date IF production had to be severely halted due to his injury.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, exactly. Looks like for this one he has done insane stunts involving helicopters, parachuting, and insane car chases, and a mere building-to-building jump did him in.

@Creasy47, that last bit is a relief. I'm glad the team and Tom won't have to worry about rushing back to finish any big pieces of the stunts. It's crazy that he does so many insane things, but it's a simple jump that bites him this time. Glad he's okay though, and that it wasn't more severe.

@jake24, Dan's injury isn't a great example, as, though he toughed it out and came back to work the movie had to be shaped around it in some areas because of what he couldn't do while dealing with it. So while the production wasn't halted for long, it was changed due to the injury, and that's never good. Dan isn't the type to mope about it, but I'm sure the stress around it all was horrible, even outside the pain. Tom is just as professional and I'm sure he's in the same boat, more worried about getting the movie done right than himself.

But in no case is this kind of thing a good sign, as it jeopardizes or changes a production at times to a large degree.
    Again, I don't disagree. But I'm stressing everyone not to take the 4 month delay as concrete fact until official confirmation. It does seem a little extreme.

Again, I don't disagree. But I'm stressing everyone not to take the 4 month delay as concrete fact until official confirmation. It does seem a little extreme.

For that kind of injury, and his age, it doesn't seem strange to me. I trust @chrisisall's thoughts on this as well, for his experience in these kinds of matters and how injuries can effect a person's regimen and ability to do particular stunts.