Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I doubt any of us would have the balls to scale the Burj Khalifa or strap ourselves to the side of an Airbus that is taxiing down the runway even with wires, so let's not pretend that it's just another generic movie stunt. It's highly impressive that an A-lister like Cruise would put himself in such dangerous positions solely because the fans enjoy it.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I doubt any of us would have the balls to scale the Burj Khalifa or strap ourselves to the side of an Airbus that is taxiing down the runway even with wires, so let's not pretend that it's just another generic movie stunt. It's highly impressive that an A-lister like Cruise would put himself in such dangerous positions solely because the fans enjoy it.
    Yep!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185
    i love this one quote, can't remember where i heard it though. In The Mummy they did this one stunt in the airplane for real, so they took a real plane and made it nosedive to make it look like the plane is going down, and the Actors were floating in the air.
    They did the whole thing 60+ times

To make his co-star ease up, Tom said to her: "look, if we survive this we will have a great story to tell to our friends and family"
    I like his attitude.

I loved the Burj Khalifa stunt @Creasy47. Not to mention the underwater sequence from "Rogue Nation". Tom Cruise is, in that sense, unique to the action-/spy blockbuster genre. Even all 6 Bond actors didn't do as much as what Tom Cruise did.

The thing however is the fact that Tom is getting a bit old. That's all. And sadly because of that he needs to take into account the health of his body. I'd love to see a future Mission: Impossible-film where Ethan Hunt is being killed, so that Tom Cruise can leave the role. That would be quite a dramatic film. Perhaps that will be the case with his 7th film? Because in the end the Original Mission: Impossible premise is all about teamwork.

So, when Ethan Hunt dies, who should take over from Tom Cruise? Any ideas? Any actor who can do as many stunts as Tom Cruise?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I loved the Burj Khalifa stunt @Creasy47. Not to mention the underwater sequence from "Rogue Nation". Tom Cruise is, in that sense, unique to the action-/spy blockbuster genre. Even all 6 Bond actors didn't do as much as what Tom Cruise did.

The thing however is the fact that Tom is getting a bit old. That's all. And sadly because of that he needs to take into account the health of his body. I'd love to see a future Mission: Impossible-film where Ethan Hunt is being killed, so that Tom Cruise can leave the role. That would be quite a dramatic film. Perhaps that will be the case with his 7th film? Because in the end the Original Mission: Impossible premise is all about teamwork.

So, when Ethan Hunt dies, who should take over from Tom Cruise? Any ideas? Any actor who can do as many stunts as Tom Cruise?

@Gustav_Graves, many people have flown the Phelps idea where Ethan becomes a mentor to a group of new agents who take his place (killing him off will never happen and isn't a great idea anyway). The issue with that, however, is that no Cruise means no MI. I don't think the box office would exactly be lighting up if an MI film came out where Ethan is reduced to little more than an "M" type character that gives out missions. Tom/Ethan is MI, and people go to the films for him and to see his reactions with Luther and all the others, not anyone else. The series would die in another's hands.

It's like wanting a Bond film where Bond is Chief of Staff to M and the rest of the film is from another agent's perspective. How boring would that be.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If an when the film series with Cruise finishes, I'd like to see Mission: Impossible go back to television and go back to the style of the original TV series. A team of undercover spies taking on various villains.
    Murdock wrote: »
    If an when the film series with Cruise finishes, I'd like to see Mission: Impossible go back to television and go back to the style of the original TV series. A team of undercover spies taking on various villains.

I don't think that's going to happen. The Mission: Impossible-franchise is too succesful, and a huge milking cow for Paramount Pictures. The question if and when Tom Cruise leaves will most likely be comparable to when Sean Connery left the role after "You Only Live Twice". It'll be interesting to see who will become the new lead after Tom Cruise. That actor will have the daunting task to let people forget Tom Cruise....at least a bit.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I don't think that's going to happen. The Mission: Impossible-franchise is too succesful, and a huge milking cow for Paramount Pictures. The question if and when Tom Cruise leaves will most likely be comparable to when Sean Connery left the role after "You Only Live Twice". It'll be interesting to see who will become the new lead after Tom Cruise. That actor will have the daunting task to let people forget Tom Cruise....at least a bit.

That's a pie in the sky dream there, Gustav. Not only in your attempt to compare Bond (the reigning phenomenon of his decade) to MI and Hunt, which are successful but not paradigm changing. Yes, MI is a cash cow in some respects, but a big part of the reason why that is, and the face of the brand, is Tom. Without him do you really think that the returns are going to be even close to what they once were in films without him?

To use another spy that people think can compare to Bond (but we've seen can't on any level), when the Bourne team did the switch with Damon and Jeremy Renner, we saw what happens who you take a property an audience knows and swaps the leading character/actor that got the films success in the first place. I think much the same thing would happen if Tom was "replaced" by another person.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 11,119

That's a pie in the sky dream there, Gustav. Not only in your attempt to compare Bond (the reigning phenomenon of his decade) to MI and Hunt, which are successful but not paradigm changing. Yes, MI is a cash cow in some respects, but a big part of the reason why that is, and the face of the brand, is Tom. Without him do you really think that the returns are going to be even close to what they once were in films without him?

To use another spy that people think can compare to Bond (but we've seen can't on any level), when the Bourne team did the switch with Damon and Jeremy Renner, we saw what happens who you take a property an audience knows and swaps the leading character/actor that got the films success in the first place. I think much the same thing would happen if Tom was "replaced" by another person.

Come come now :-). "Mission: Impossible" has become the American equivalent of James Bond. We forummembers make the comparisons all day. No doubt about that. And I acknowledge Tom is indeed the face of the franchise. But let's stop about that comparison. Let's forget about Tommy for a while.

The question is simple: How do we continue the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise when Tom Cruise calls it a day? Could Jeremy Renner become the leading secret IMF-agent of team "Impossible"? Or Henry Cavill? Chris Pratt? Or what about Ryan Reynolds?? Or perhaps we let the new leading IMF-agent become....a woman? Charlize Theron? Jennifer Lawrence?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The MI series are Tom Cruise movies.They're not Mission Impossible movies with Tom Cruise.
    Without Tom Cruise they lose a lot of their appeal. When Cruise is done I would imagine they may go into hiatus for a while, and then establish another actor in the role.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,490
    One of the main takeaways of the series for me is Cruise doing all of his own insane stunts - not something you see in most blockbuster films these days. Once you cast another actor who isn't doing the same, it takes away a bit of the magic for me. I'm not saying M:I would fail completely without Cruise, but I don't think it would have the same success it has, either.

If they were to ever recast, I don't see it being Renner. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what they were going for in GP, until it was a raging success, showing Cruise was back in the game.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    There are many ways to reimagine the MI series post-Cruise, or even including Cruise. I believe we're already headed in that direction, with Renner in for two and now Cavill in for one.

They can certainly be 'team' efforts going forward and still be quite successful. MI films don't really light the box office on fire anyway. They are decent performers. Consistent but not earth shattering. I can see a scenario where they become a more grounded 'Avengers' style team effort. A sort of Ocean's type actioner. Given the lack of decent roles these days for actors, I can see several 'current' names wanting to get involved.

Cruise is difficult to replace (one of a kind) and so it's best to reimagine it as a team effort.

Come come now :-). "Mission: Impossible" has become the American equivalent of James Bond. We forummembers make the comparisons all day. No doubt about that. And I acknowledge Tom is indeed the face of the franchise. But let's stop about that comparison. Let's forget about Tommy for a while.

The question is simple: How do we continue the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise when Tom Cruise calls it a day? Could Jeremy Renner become the leading secret IMF-agent of team "Impossible"? Or Henry Cavill? Chris Pratt? Or what about Ryan Reynolds?? Or perhaps we let the new leading IMF-agent become....a woman? Charlize Theron? Jennifer Lawrence?

@Gustav_Graves, I'd say you're overestimating the impact of these films. Fun, sure, but the American version of the Bond films? That's a mighty statement.

The simple question has been answered from my side, where the series has little or no hope of outliving Tom's involvement. He is that series, and people go for him because he has a unique appeal that you don't find 99% of the time (does it for real, is a nutcase and wants to slavishly pleasure audiences in spite of the risks to his life). I know I wouldn't be enticed to see them without Ethan/Tom in the lead, as he is MI.

We can make Bond comparisons all day, but that doesn't work as MI isn't Bond and not even Bond Lite; apples and oranges. Sean Connery was only Bond for five years (then one extra), despite being the face of that brand at the start. Remember how well George "I'm not Sean Connery" Lazenby was received when he was thrown the live grenade that was taking the place of the only man people wanted to see as the character? Recasting Ethan would be out of the question entirely, as Tom has been known for this role for over 20 years, four times Sean's duration as Bond in the initial run. I don't see the idea of a recast Hunt going over well, as Tom is that character to people.

In the same token, going on without Ethan wouldn't light my fire either, as I don't really give a damn about the adventures of other agents. MI is Hunt, like the Bond films are focused on you-know-who for a reason. And Bond only got away with its recasting by having the third actor play the same character in a wackily different way, and I don't think modern audiences would accept a recasting of any kind, especially if the new actor played a different version of Hunt on top of not being Tom Cruise.

The fact is that this series, like Bourne after it, are very limited in what you can do. For MI it's the brand problem, as Tom and the series are inseparable, and for Bourne it's a narrative issue (how many times can one man fight his own government/agency?). They lack the flexibility and built-in respect Bond has to flip the script and recast, as that series has earned its right to move on past an actor. The issue here is that, instead of character trumping actor, actor trumps character and Hunt without Cruise or MI without its lead just isn't sustainable.
    bondjames wrote: »
    There are many ways to reimagine the MI series post-Cruise, or even including Cruise. I believe we're already headed in that direction, with Renner in for two and now Cavill in for one.

They can certainly be 'team' efforts going forward and still be quite successful. MI films don't really light the box office on fire anyway. They are decent performers. Consistent but not earth shattering. I can see a scenario where they become a more grounded 'Avengers' style team effort. A sort of Ocean's type actioner. Given the lack of decent roles these days for actors, I can see several 'current' names wanting to get involved.

Cruise is difficult to replace (one of a kind) and so it's best to reimagine it as a team effort.

I agree.....and over the course of several films slowly decrease Mmr Cruise's screen time? I mean, there comes a point where Tom really wants to quit.

@Gustav_Graves, I'd say you're overestimating the impact of these films. Fun, sure, but the American version of the Bond films? That's a mighty statement.

The simple question has been answered from my side, where the series has little or no hope of outliving Tom's involvement. He is that series, and people go for him because he has a unique appeal that you don't find 99% of the time (does it for real, is a nutcase and wants to slavishly pleasure audiences in spite of the risks to his life). I know I wouldn't be enticed to see them without Ethan/Tom in the lead, as he is MI.

We can make Bond comparisons all day, but that doesn't work as MI isn't Bond and not even Bond Lite; apples and oranges. Sean Connery was only Bond for five years (then one extra), despite being the face of that brand at the start. Remember how well George "I'm not Sean Connery" Lazenby was received when he was thrown the live grenade that was taking the place of the only man people wanted to see as the character? Recasting Ethan would be out of the question entirely, as Tom has been known for this role for over 20 years, four times Sean's duration as Bond in the initial run. I don't see the idea of a recast Hunt going over well, as Tom is that character to people.

In the same token, going on without Ethan wouldn't light my fire either, as I don't really give a damn about the adventures of other agents. MI is Hunt, like the Bond films are focused on you-know-who for a reason. And Bond only got away with its recasting by having the third actor play the same character in a wackily different way, and I don't think modern audiences would accept a recasting of any kind, especially if the new actor played a different version of Hunt on top of not being Tom Cruise.

The fact is that this series, like Bourne after it, are very limited in what you can do. For MI it's the brand problem, as Tom and the series are inseparable, and for Bourne it's a narrative issue (how many times can one man fight his own government/agency?). They lack the flexibility and built-in respect Bond has to flip the script and recast, as that series has earned its right to move on past an actor. The issue here is that, instead of character trumping actor, actor trumps character and Hunt without Cruise or MI without its lead just isn't sustainable.

I'm not entirely sure. To me the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise is so much richer in style and tones than the "Jason Bourne"-franchise. It merges a richer palet of genres, a little bit sophisticated spy comedy, fun, action, thriller, a bit of romance, a laughter here and there, some violence. Well, I don't see that palet with "Jason Bourne". I do see it with Ethan Hunt's British competitor though: James Bond.

I'm not entirely sure. To me the "Mission: Impossible"-franchise is so much richer in style and tones than the "Jason Bourne"-franchise. It merges a richer palet of genres, a little bit sophisticated spy comedy, fun, action, thriller, a bit of romance, a laughter here and there, some violence. Well, I don't see that palet with "Jason Bourne". I do see it with Ethan Hunt's British competitor though: James Bond.

I agree that MI is wider, as it has more wiggle room with its films. Bourne is like a mayfly in comparison, around for a day and dead, because Jason can only go rogue or get chased so many times before you ask what the point is. Apparently 4 times is the limit, judging from the response to the last film. They should've ended it at 3, but the studio was somehow under the assumption that they had a cash cow on their hands that go extend itself more without the seams tearing.

The argument can be made that MI is playing from the old Bond playbook, but it's a playbook I'm not that fond of because it creates fun but ultimately lacking films from a character perspective. In some ways I'm glad MI has this market and Bond has a more rich and deep part in it, as I like films where the characters feel contradictory and human and genuine. MI's goal isn't to do that and that's fine, but their creative choices are also why certain Bond films rank low with me; they have a dimensionality problem and low impact beyond the spectacle. MI films are accessible, but you won't find me wondering about their themes or the character's journeys or write blog articles delving into them, as it's like diving into a puddle; you can only go so far because those movies are differently made.

On the Bond side it's why I'm on the Connery/Craig/Dalton divide with the more meaty and interesting films (films that work both as genre pieces and as movies of substance) while I have more of a passing interest in the likes of Moore and Brosnan because in comparison they come off as very dimensionless parody that often get in their own way and become experiences that don't stick with me as well. The Moore films at least had a certain atmosphere to them thanks to Barry and Adam's involvement through the 70s, so in that respect they actually deserve more credit as pieces of cinema; it's the Brosnan films I'd say I have the biggest issue with on this front as they resulted in more of a parodical and dimensionless product in the end.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,600
    Im sure many of the thoughts here were reflected when SC left Bond. The fact is the IMHO, the audience are far more forgiving than some think as long as you get the basics right. Cruise will leave MI at some point but they have the advantage of other team members giving continuity and Cruise leaving actually becoming part of the publicity. I'm sure MI will live on without TC and it has big potential to live on if handled properly. We have not had real tragedy within an MI movie but we know from SF that the audience lap up tragic scenes if done well
    I want to see Ethan sacrifice himself for the safety of the rest the team (in true Spock style) and taking out the bad guy at the same time.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Also, YOLT was released 5 years after DN. Cruise and Connery may have the same amount of films in their respective franchises, but by the time M:I:6 is in theaters, Cruise will have headlined the franchise for 22 years. That's like if Connery's 6 films tenure had lasted from 1962 to 1984. And despite his injury, there is no evidence that Cruise would be unwilling to return for a 7th film if the 6th one is another success.
  • I don't know, my approach to these situations is always to think if you can replace Connery as Bond, you can replace anyone. Plus with Mission Impossible they have the team dynamic. Cruise can be gradually phased out. As he gets older keep him in the films, he could even still be the lead, but feature other members of the team more too and use Renner or bring in someone else (another big leading man name would probably help) to lighten the load action wise. Eventually if it's still going in however many years and he's too old to be credible as a field agent at all any more, you could shift him to Alec Baldwin's role.

It's tricky though because Mission Impossible as a brand really doesn't have a built in fanbase. People do just go to see them to see Tom Cruise (not even Ethan Hunt the character, as there's nothing distinguishable at all about him; the appeal is that it's basically James Bond but with Tom Cruise). But y'know, gradually phase him out or give it a few years and reboot without him. It's tricky but not impossible. The franchise isn't called Ethan Hunt and technically it did start before him. So I think it could still be successful if they did it well and got a popular enough actor to replace him.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If they made a Mission Impossible film without Cruise, I wouldn't even be phased. I'd still see them. I love most of the films but I'd prefer if it was focused on the team rather than be Ethan and Friends.
    They don't make them like TC anymore and that's part of the issue I feel. There are a lot of more rugged actors out there (The Pines and Pratts) but none who have his looks and style.

I really think they will only be able to replace him with a pseudo 'team'. One guy can't do it.
    Recasting TC is a massive challenge, its interesting that he was in his mid thirties when he took on the role, if you look at who could take over now, it makes you realise how mature so many of the leading stars are now and how few big names there are in their mid 30s.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    If they made a Mission Impossible film without Cruise, I wouldn't even be phased. I'd still see them. I love most of the films but I'd prefer if it was focused on the team rather than be Ethan and Friends.
    Well, personally, I feel they wouldn't be the same without him. If he stayed on as the ramrod of the missions at least, then I could still deal.
    its easy to say it would not be the same but with a good director, script, execution and, of course, the wonderful theme (plus the supporting team) it can happen.

Much depends on how TC is willing to help ease the transition or will he just walk away?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    patb wrote: »
    its easy to say it would not be the same
    No, it's not easy. IT'S NOT EASY!! It hurts me to the BONE! It's like having a favourite PET DIE!!

Well, okay, not that bad. More like getting a mosquito bite.

Okaaaaaay... I guess I could survive it. ;)
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2017 Posts: 4,447
    Nice new picture of the movie with Rebecca Ferguson

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4912910/mediaviewer/rm176891392
    Is this gonna be the final MI?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Is this gonna be the final MI?

I highly doubt it will be. But there won't be too many left if they don't end up casting a new lead, as Cruise won't be able to do these movies forever.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I hear the title will be Community.
    I hear the title will be Community.
    Ha ha..