Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Can't they shoot the scenes where Tom's presence isn't required first?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

They're now saying that the release date may still stick, because (as I was mentioning the other day) they can easily shoot non-Cruise scenes while they wait for him. I guess it also is a bit of a hiccup for those involved in other upcoming films, too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Creasy47 wrote: »

They're now saying that the release date may still stick, because (as I was mentioning the other day) they can easily shoot non-Cruise scenes while they wait for him. I guess it also is a bit of a hiccup for those involved in other upcoming films, too.
    Which coincidentally is what happened with Dougray Scott during MI2. He was set to play Wolverine and MI2 dragged, resulting in him eventually losing the role to Jackman.
    bondjames wrote: »

Which coincidentally is what happened with Dougray Scott during MI2. He was set to play Wolverine and MI2 dragged, resulting in him eventually losing the role to Jackman.

Wasn't Scott in talks to take over after Brosnan exited the Bond series after DAD, too? Could've swore he was a frontrunner at some point.
    Yes, Scott was a frontrunner. Gotta admit, though, he was fantastic in M:I-2.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I remember his name being mentioned although I'm not sure how close he was to bagging it. I liked him in MI2 as well. Very memorable. Especially when he was sulking.
    He definitely was a frontrunner for Bond had Brosnan not showed up for a fourth.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,185
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Tom is a trooper all right.
    Absolutely. Sounds like they still got the shot and he powered through finishing it with a broken angle. That's great.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The man is 53. I think it's also time to start a little discussion in here, like "Who's going to replace Cruise??"

Doesn't have much to do with his age, I would think, given the level of stunt work he's involved in. I'd personally rather focus on what M:I6 will bring. Hell, he could end up doing a seventh, we have no idea, so I feel it'd be premature to discuss his replacement.

The series already tried that with Renner, I feel like, and that didn't pan out at all.

Poor Jeremy, neither MI or Bourne are working out for him. Now all he has is Hawkeye.
    A source states that production will wrap in December now instead of October, but that it shouldn't affect the release date, thankfully:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mission-impossible-6-expected-wrap-production-december-1202530862/
    They started production back in April, didn't they? One would think they've completed at least 75% of filming the screenplay. Why would it take them over eight months of shooting a film overall?
    They started production back in April, didn't they? One would think they've completed at least 75% of filming the screenplay. Why would it take them over eight months of shooting a film overall?

I think it was due to a lot of different locations being utilized, but I could be wrong. Hell, I think they spent the first month or two in Paris alone.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The movie comes out in 11 months, I'm sure they won't have any problem releasing the film in July 2018 as planned.
    Just to let you all know, that Tom Cruise will be appearing on "The One Show" from 7pm tomorrow night. We will hear it straight from the horses mouth tomorrow night on the whole situation? I know all on here would be interested.
    Video upload will be appreciated :-).
    I can only surmise his thoughts will echo what's been said. Doesn't seem like something a source would lie about, mainly since McQuarrie has already announced the delay and how they can work on other, non-Cruise scenes in the meantime.

It's still so commendable that he broke his ankle and didn't succumb to the pain until he was off-camera and they got the shot they wanted. I really hope it somehow makes its way into the final film, like how Leo accidentally slicing his hand open was the shot they used in 'Django Unchained'.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 1,661
    A reality check for Tom Cruise. As you get older your body can sustain injuries much easier.

I remember watching Indiana Jones 4 (sort of the Die Another Day of the Indiana Jones franchise :P ) and seeing all the wide angle action shots of Indy and it was clear it was generic stuntman, not Harrison Ford! Cruise needs to accept he's in his mid fifties and not a man of 30. If he is going to do most/all of his stunts he is putting himself at risk. It's just the harsh reality of getting older.
    Oh, I think he'll put himself through hell to prove others wrong. Knowing Tom (from his public image), he'll do be going crazier and madder just to keep himself on track, and that usually doesn't end well.
    Damnit Tom.....take care :(
    I always get too worried that one of Cruise's mad stunts might kill him :(
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 4,619
    Director Christopher McQuarrie has been hospitalized AND arrested, but that does not stop him from finishing the movie. The absolute madman!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Is this his cameo in the film or something?
    Production will be halted anywhere from six weeks to three months due to his injury:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mission-impossible-6-faces-production-delay-after-tom-cruise-injured-exclusive-1202528831/

An on-set source says he may have broken two bones in his ankle and hurt his hip.

At one time, just like Craig, even Tom Cruise has to face the destiny of an aging body. It's only a matter of time that Cruise also announces "I quit".

Ooowh yeah, that was exactly the criticism we had on Daniel Craig during filming of SP, especially since he got compared so heavily with Tom Cruise's 'majestic stunt work' (metal wires, guys!).
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

Ooowh yeah, that was exactly the criticism we had on Daniel Craig during filming of SP, especially since he got compared so heavily with Tom Cruise's 'majestic stunt work' (metal wires, guys!).

You'll forgive me @Gustav_Graves but be it the climbing of the Burj Khalifa or hanging from an airborne A400, those are hugely impressive stunts. With or without the use of wires.
    They deserve a little respect that an actor is willing to do them in order to entertain us.

Production will be halted anywhere from six weeks to three months due to his injury:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mission-impossible-6-faces-production-delay-after-tom-cruise-injured-exclusive-1202528831/

An on-set source says he may have broken two bones in his ankle and hurt his hip.

At one time, just like Craig, even Tom Cruise has to face the destiny of an aging body. It's only a matter of time that Cruise also announces "I quit".

Except that Dan didn't announce "I quit" in a similar circumstance. He sucked it up and got on with it, as Tom will. You don't see him whining in the press about it, and this moment will only spur him on to be more careful but not the least bit more restrictive in what he'll do for his audience. Tom's driven like that and he'll have it until he doesn't have it, but a little injury like this in comparison to what he's faced before is little more than a blip on the radar.

You're really fishing for it here, Gustav. No need to be such a sour puss, despite your fascination with "pussies" in the past few weeks.

I've no idea where you're getting at or what are you referring to. I believe I made it clear up there at if one point is not available, they could resort to the other points and accomplish painting them, sorting them, building them or whatever. And yes, it's a metaphorical speech.

What's wrong with filming the other scenes with the other actors when one or two of them are not available for the time being?

I've no idea where you're getting at or what are you referring to. I believe I made it clear up there at if one point is not available, they could resort to the other points and accomplish painting them, sorting them, building them or whatever. And yes, it's a metaphorical speech.

What's wrong with filming the other scenes with the other actors when one or two of them are not available for the time being?

I'm lost here too, especially since no comparison can be made. Dan came back after two weeks to finish the film following his injury, so no alteration to the production needed to be made. With Tom and the bigger break, it's much different.

Either way I won't be party to this very petty attitude where anyone who likes the MI films more than Bond, or who enjoys Tom's work in comparison to where the series has gone, are made enemies or worthy of ridicule by those who worship EON only. They're just movies, for crying out loud. It's these same infantile posts you see here all the time where any movie with a spy spin to it that doesn't critically plummet is somehow a new danger to EON and the legacy of the Bond franchise. People need to quit living their lives like a soap opera and wake up to reality.
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,423

I'm lost here too, especially since no comparison can be made. Dan came back after two weeks to finish the film following his injury, so no alteration to the production needed to be made. With Tom and the bigger break, it's much different.

Either way I won't be party to this very petty attitude where anyone who likes the MI films more than Bond, or who enjoys Tom's work in comparison to where the series has gone, are made enemies or worthy of ridicule by those who worship EON only. They're just movies, for crying out loud. It's these same infantile posts you see here all the time where any movie with a spy spin to it that doesn't critically plummet is somehow a new danger to EON and the legacy of the Bond franchise. People need to quit living their lives like a soap opera and wake up to reality.
    This. This, exactly, is why you're the voice of reason, Braders.

I enjoy a motion picture experience, or a work of literature, as well as other formats offering similar and/or the very same genre regardless of whether it's Bond, M:I, Kingsman, UNCLE, Harry Palmer, Avengers, Danger Man and so on. Sure, Bond paved the way in to the genre for me, but that doesn't mean I have to be a Bond loyalist and detract the others. They all have their ups and downs. Some I enjoy more than the most.

Hell, if I'm entertained, I whole the piece at a high regard. If not, I simply tell it like it is. No need for further inquiries.