Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited August 2017 Posts: 15,690
    This injury and delay in the filming of M:I:6 happens near the end of production, which compared to the Bond franchise, none of Craig films would have even started filming by now in the same time-frame. So I'm sure there's nothing to worry about the M:I:6's release being delayed.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Plus, given they had a lot of soundstage work to do in London, I can only assume they can shoot scenes that don't contain Cruise in the meantime while he heals.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,691
    Jackie Chan broke SO many bones, but in 1995 he broke his ankle badly in Rumble In The Bronx (during an easy short jump) and that permanently changed his game. After 1995 he no longer did complicated flips because he couldn't trust that ankle for the landing. He was still wowing us, but a chunk of what he'd been able to do before was gone. Tom did not destroy his ankle- he was clearly able to limp around- but torn ligaments or compound fractures might complicate things. If it's just clean hairline fractures, he could be back to near 100% in time. I need X-RAYS, dammit!
    He's had some terrifying injuries, that's for damn sure. Like when he fell through a few balconies on one film and landed really awkwardly on his neck, or how a chunk of his skull cracked and shot up into his brain during a stunt on 'Armour of God.' Crazy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He's had some terrifying injuries, that's for damn sure. Like when he fell through a few balconies on one film and landed really awkwardly on his neck, or how a chunk of his skull cracked and shot up into his brain during a stunt on 'Armour of God.' Crazy.

*Shivers*
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited August 2017 Posts: 17,691
    Yeah, @Creasy47, but the ankle thing was what changed everything for him- the simplest and least life-threatening injury of the lot! At .32 in:
    What's funny is that's probably the most simplistic stunt in Chan's eyes. It was hardly moving, just a simple jump that dealt that much damage. Then he pulled off stunts like his rappel down the lights in the mall during 'Police Story' with little to no issues. Very crazy.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What's funny is that's probably the most simplistic stunt in Chan's eyes. It was hardly moving, just a simple jump that dealt that much damage. Then he pulled off stunts like his rappel down the lights in the mall during 'Police Story' with little to no issues. Very crazy.

Definitely crazy, @Creasy47. It's like those stories you read of soldiers surviving so many tours in Afghanistan only to die on their home soil in some freak accident. It doesn't seem possible or plausible, much like how Tom and Jackie can do so many crazy things and get hurt on the simple jumps.

Definitely crazy, @Creasy47. It's like those stories you read of soldiers surviving so many tours in Afghanistan only to die on their home soil in some freak accident. It doesn't seem possible or plausible, much like how Tom and Jackie can do so many crazy things and get hurt on the simple jumps.

Perhaps because they're doing such batshit insane stunts that they underestimate the most simplistic of sequences - and of course by "most simplistic" I mean "death-defyingly, pants-shittingly scary to us mere mortals."

Perhaps because they're doing such batshit insane stunts that they underestimate the most simplistic of sequences - and of course by "most simplistic" I mean "death-defyingly, pants-shittingly scary to us mere mortals."

Hah, yes. "Most simplistic" for them is relatively dangerous for us! I have to say though, I'd love to get a shot to do some of the stuff Tom does. That plane bit at the start of MI:RN would be something I'd be the first to raise my hand to try.

Hah, yes. "Most simplistic" for them is relatively dangerous for us! I have to say though, I'd love to get a shot to do some of the stuff Tom does. That plane bit at the start of MI:RN would be something I'd be the first to raise my hand to try.

Same, until I remember I'm a big baby who would require several diapers during the stunt, and I exit immediately. I can't even watch that scene or the Burj Khalifa climb in RN without my palms pouring sweat.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The shooting at Prekestolen, Norway has been postponed due to the injury. It was supposed to be closed for filming a week next month, but now no one knows when it will happen.

The word is that the stunt Tom Cruise is about to perform there will top everything he ever did before, and he has been training for it a full year.

1655840.jpg
    @Thunderfinger, I could've swore that they had already filmed there and got the huge stunt out of the way. I guess I was wrong, what a shame - hopefully it's not delayed too long, then.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The shooting at Prekestolen, Norway has been postponed due to the injury. It was supposed to be closed for filming a week next month, but now no one knows when it will happen.

The word is that the stunt Tom Cruise is about to perform there will top everything he ever did before, and he has been training for it a full year.

1655840.jpg
    I still can't believe people are allowed to do that there.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 7,500
    bondjames wrote: »

1655840.jpg

How could you stop them? People are dying there every year actually, either from falling down ør underestimating the serenity of the trip and possible changes of weather. It's really quite sad, but almost impossible to prevent...

1655840.jpg

That's me in the photo there, questioning "Should I jump, or let everyone know I just shit myself from how terrifyingly high up we are?"
    jobo wrote: »

1655840.jpg

How could you stop them? People are dying there every year actually, either from falling down ør underestimating the serenity of the trip and possible changes of weather. It's really quite sad, but almost impossible to prevent...
    I would have thought they could put up a railing or something. Just for public safety reasons. One can't prevent a determined jumper perhaps but I'm more thinking of accidental falls.

1655840.jpg

That's me in the photo there, questioning "Should I jump, or let everyone know I just shit myself from how terrifyingly high up we are?"
    @Creasy47, I always knew there was a daredevil in you (being a big Cruise fan and all). I have no idea how that chap is doing that. I'd have crapped my pants for sure.

1655840.jpg

I would have thought they could put up a railing or something. Just for public safety reasons. One can't prevent a determined jumper perhaps but I'm more thinking of accidental falls.

1655840.jpg

@Creasy47, I always knew there was a daredevil in you (being a big Cruise fan and all). I have no idea how that chap is doing that. I'd have crapped my pants for sure.

In all seriousness, I'm sure that's a stunning view from that angle, but again, I can't even look at that without my palms sweating.

This is the stuff of my nightmares:

edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    This is the stuff of my nightmares:

Wow!

2:16 in particular is terrifying. Especially considering the wind up there which you can see blowing at the bottom of his trousers earlier on.
    But a rayling would destroy the atmosphere. It is a piece of nature after all. It would not be a popular solution in Norway, believe me...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I was here last month. Gullfoss, Iceland. There is a railing around the plateau on the left side of the picture. A poor chap still managed to fall in right after I was there. They never found him.
    gullfoss-waterfall-6.jpg
    But a rayling would destroy the atmosphere. It is a piece of nature after all. It would not be a popular solution in Norway, believe me...
    Fair enough. I've seen the railings at places like Niagara Falls etc. and that's why I mentioned it.
    Niagara falls is not the same. It is basically a town. This is a place in open nature only reachable by mountain hiking. It is a mountain first and foremost. A tourist sight second
    Niagara falls is not the same. It is basically a town. This is a place in open nature only reachable by mountain hiking. It is a mountain first and foremost. A tourist sight second
    I was not aware of that. Fair enough. Approach at one's peril then.
    The man is 53. I think it's also time to start a little discussion in here, like "Who's going to replace Cruise??"
    The man is 53. I think it's also time to start a little discussion in here, like "Who's going to replace Cruise??"

Doesn't have much to do with his age, I would think, given the level of stunt work he's involved in. I'd personally rather focus on what M:I6 will bring. Hell, he could end up doing a seventh, we have no idea, so I feel it'd be premature to discuss his replacement.

The series already tried that with Renner, I feel like, and that didn't pan out at all.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'd actually like to see either Renner or Cavill take over.

I still don't feel like Renner works as a leading man, and Cavill is hit or miss for me (but mostly the latter). I hope he's good in this sixth one, but I don't feel like he'd be great to take over the role from someone such as Cruise. Who knows what they have in store, though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

I still don't feel like Renner works as a leading man, and Cavill is hit or miss for me (but mostly the latter). I hope he's good in this sixth one, but I don't feel like he'd be great to take over the role from someone such as Cruise. Who knows what they have in store, though.
    How about Daniel Craig as Jim Phelps' estranged son from an English mother? ;)
    edited August 2017 Posts: 40,473
    Production will be halted anywhere from six weeks to three months due to his injury:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/mission-impossible-6-faces-production-delay-after-tom-cruise-injured-exclusive-1202528831/

An on-set source says he may have broken two bones in his ankle and hurt his hip.