Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, thanks for reminding me of that film. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I find Ferguson has a regal & classy quality which I find alluring.

Yup, I see exactly it like that as well. Especially the classy part. It's amazing how similar she looks to Ingrid Bergmann.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DaltonCraig007, thanks for reminding me of that film. I'm definitely looking forward to it. I find Ferguson has a regal & classy quality which I find alluring.

Yup, I see exactly it like that as well. Especially the classy part. It's amazing how similar she looks to Ingrid Bergmann.

Yep, we've talked about the startling likeness between those two for a while here. Both ladies were also born in the exact same location of Stockholm, Sweden too.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,690
    According to IMDB's trivia section for M:I Rogue Nation: Rebecca Ferguson bears a striking resemblance to fellow Swedish actress Ingrid Bergman. Ferguson's character in this film is named Ilsa Faust, this is a reference to Bergman's character, Ilsa Lund from 'Casablanca' (1942), a European star-crossed lover who falls for an American, and the German legend Faust, where the title character makes an ill-fated deal with the devil. Both characters foreshadow Ilsa Faust's role in the film. "Rogue Nation" also has a sequence set in Casablanca with Ferguson in it. Tom Cruise's first celebrity crush was Ingrid Bergman in 'Notorious' (1946).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Agreed. I notice a lot of Bergmann even in her acting.
  • boldfinger wrote: »

They do! Especially Ferguson and Monaghan. It's uncanny, actually.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,442
    Tom Cruise turn 55 today and that mean he is 54/55 years old in his 6th Mission Impossible movie. With Top Gun 2 in 2019 i think we should expext Jack Reacher 3 in 2021, The Mummy sequel in 2020 and possible Mi7 in 2022.

2015 Mi5
    2016 Jack Reacher 2
    2017 The Mummy

2018 Mi6
    2019 Top Gun 2
    2020 The Mummy 2 or Jack Reacher 3
    2021 Jack Reacher 3 or The Mummy 2
    2022 Mi7

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Given the disappointment surrounding the box office for 'The Mummy,' I'll be surprised if the whole Dark Universe presses on with a sequel to it, or at least one of the other standalone films they have planned.
    @Creasy47, sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story. The Mummy had the misfortune of opening against Wonder Woman which took all the large IMAX and AVX theatres. It also got crushed by Cars 3 which came out the following weekend. It hasn't done too bad globally but was DOA in North America on account of the critics going gaga over WW at its expense.

I'm sure Universal will move ahead and tweak the universe based on what happened here.

I personally didn't think the film was all that bad, although it certainly could have been a lot better.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He's a beast and knows that even with his remarkable genes he has a finite amount of time to, convincingly, do this type of role and he's making the most of it.
    Some dismissively say he's wasting his time by not "acting". I say he seems to truly like doing physical roles; on top of that he's paid a boatload of money to do it. He can "act" later.
    talos7 wrote: »
    He's a beast and knows that even with his remarkable genes he has a finite amount of time to, convincingly, do this type of role and he's making the most of it.
    Some dismissively say he's wasting his time by not "acting". I say he seems to truly like doing physical roles; on top of that he's paid a boatload of money to do it. He can "act" later.
    +1.
    Its strange to me that his best roles in terms of pure acting have come much earlier (Few Good Men, Rain Man, Born on the 4th July, Jerry McGuire) and he seems to be stuck in a rut re action movies. I do hope that this is not a reflection of a mid life crisis. He is a fine actor and I would love to see him in more serious/mature roles
  • patb wrote: »
    Its strange to me that his best roles in terms of pure acting have come much earlier (Few Good Men, Rain Man, Born on the 4th July, Jerry McGuire) and he seems to be stuck in a rut re action movies. I do hope that this is not a reflection of a mid life crisis. He is a fine actor and I would love to see him in more serious/mature roles

I wouldn't call it a "rut" because he's been finding great success in his M:I movies (and marginal success in others) and he clearly enjoys doing it. More power to him. Maybe it is all one very long midlife crisis. If you could get paid millions for living out the whimsies of your midlife crisis on big screens across the world, wouldn't you?

Cruise is a great actor and was indeed tackling meaty roles through the 90s and into the new millennium. I'm sure he'll return to them again one day. That'll be great to see. For now, the M:I movies are delivering what the Bonds have been struggling with (fantastic, in-camera stunts and action sequences), so I would by no means want Cruise to pull the plug on that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    patb wrote: »

The same thing has happened to Liam Neeson too, unfortunately. I loved Taken at the time, but it's a shame that it's led to about two dozen more remakes with different paint for him.

With his starring role coming up in a Philip Marlowe detective film, let's hope Liam is able to use his talents to really impact again. I want them to do a bunch of noir films with him, and I hope the film is enough of a hit to get that done.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 5,767
    Cruise is most of the time very much on the verge of greatness, even though his best roles were in films where he himself had no major say, like Lions and Lambs, or Magnolia, or Tropic Thunder.

Neeson has that FBI film coming out soon, doesn´t he? That looks like greatness too.

In any case, I´m not worried about Cruise or Neeson. It´s much more shocking that De Niro played all those old men in fantastic films when he was young, and now that he´s nearing that age himself, he only stars in shitty films. Or he´s doing the reverse, shooting with Scorsese in order to get made young by computers.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Cruise is most of the time very much on the verge of greatness, even though his best roles were in films where he himself had no major say, like Lions and Lambs, or Magnolia, or Tropic Thunder.
    I've yet to see any of these, and must get to them soon. I've heard good things about all.
    Neeson has that FBI film coming out soon, doesn´t he? That looks like greatness too.
    Yes, The Silent Man looks very good from the clips I've seen, and he also did Silence last year (I just realized the similarities in the names).
    In any case, I´m not worried about Cruise or Neeson. It´s much more shocking that De Niro played all those old men in fantastic films when he was young, and now that he´s nearing that age himself, he only stars in shitty films. Or he´s doing the reverse, shooting with Scorsese in order to get made young by computers.
    Agreed. Cruise and Neeson are doing just fine. De Niro has not impressed me in some time, although I've just ordered the entire Fockers series (I've never seen them before but caught part of one on tv and he looked pretty decent in it) on dvd.
    @bondjames, you'll love Tropic Thunder. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that Tom plays quite a...transformative role in it. Go into it blind, if you can!
    @bondjames, you'll love Tropic Thunder. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that Tom plays quite a...transformative role in it. Go into it blind, if you can!
    One of his best!

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    talos7 wrote: »
    One of his best!
    Yep, he's talking scorched earth there a lot. ;)
    Jeez if only I could look that good at 55!!!!
    Thanks @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, this will be the first one I get to then. Looking forward to it, and I don't know anything about it at all, so it should be fun.
    Thanks @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, this will be the first one I get to then. Looking forward to it, and I don't know anything about it at all, so it should be fun.
    @bondjames, it also features one of RDJ´s most marvellous performances.

@bondjames, it also features one of RDJ´s most marvellous performances.

Yes, Robert plays a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (this will all make sense once you see the film, @bondjames).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,690
    French actress Alix Bénézech has joined 'Mission Impossible 6':

491054_21.jpg
    And she has joined my dreams as well
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,442
    She is playing a French police agent

Up until now, I've never wanted to be frisked. ;)
  • talos7 wrote: »

Either that or action movie stunts would be a convenient way to die and get out of scientology. Unless he gets reincarnated but I don't know if he signed a billion year contract.