Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Someone please tell me there is a railing around the edge! That looks bonkers and a great location for a climax.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    There is no railing. People go there every day and there are no accidents.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Cruise wants to shoot the climax of MI6 at Prekestolen in Lysefjorden, Norway. The story is in several Norwegian papers.
    lysefjorden_fjelltur_preikestolen_1700x600.jpg
    gag290_8877.jpg

Interesting, McQuarrie also said in his latest interview that the big stunt that everyone has been talking about will be at the end of the movie, so this might be the location for it
    That is a very good location for stopping to wait for Bond news.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    boldfinger wrote: »

Just don't leap out of frustration! :D

My stomach churns looking at those photos. Again, wonderful potential for great stunt work with little/no requireent for CGI. Cant wait.
    The use of real life places and giving them a nice coleur locale seems to be done better by the MI franchise in recent films that EON practices in their recent 007 outings. In that sense nobody did it better than Sir Roger.
  • patb wrote: »
    My stomach churns looking at those photos.

Yeah, definitely vertigo-triggering.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The use of real life places and giving them a nice coleur locale seems to be done better by the MI franchise in recent films that EON practices in their recent 007 outings.

All too true, and one of the greatest draws of the M:I films these days. I hope that practice can become a draw for Bond again, too!
    00Agent wrote: »
    Interesting, McQuarrie also said in his latest interview that the big stunt that everyone has been talking about will be at the end of the movie, so this might be the location for it

I hope they do work this into a stunt in the film. Maybe throw back to M:I-2's cliffhanging?
    talos7 wrote: »

Just don't leap out of frustration! :D
    With such pictures, frustration gets replaced by an automatic switch of interest ;-).

Cruise wants to shoot the climax of MI6 at Prekestolen in Lysefjorden, Norway. The story is in several Norwegian papers.
    lysefjorden_fjelltur_preikestolen_1700x600.jpg
    gag290_8877.jpg

Here's a news article (in Norwegian) from March, when McQuarrie and cinematographer Rob Hardy were looking at different locations. Will be interesting to see how they'll use Preikestolen in the story. For example, will it be a stand in for a different location?
    http://filterfilmogtv.no/301990-2/
    Saw Cruise on G Norton last night. Interesting that although he was there to promote The Mummy, the next MI movie and Top gun were also discussed. There are very few stars whose future movies (three ahead) attract such interest. He also claimed that he has been in training for the final stunt for months but did not let on any details.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,691
    patb wrote: »
    Saw Cruise on G Norton last night. Interesting that although he was there to promote The Mummy, the next MI movie and Top gun were also discussed. There are very few stars whose future movies (three ahead) attract such interest. He also claimed that he has been in training for the final stunt for months but did not let on any details.

You can go up to 5 current/future films for Cruise that he can promote/mention in interviews - The Mummy, Mission: Impossible 6 and Top Gun 2 as you wrote, but also American Made and Edge of Tomorrow 2.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited June 2017 Posts: 4,450
    I think you can do a lot with it, examples..

A Yolt rooftop fight scene there with Hunt and various hechman
    Meeting between Hunt and villian or somebody ele's. Jeremy Renner chacter can pop up there for a couple of minutes.

Reference to Mission Impossible 2 opening. Helicopter find Hunt and then he takes a dive.

At Skyfall (or must do it in complete dark), hunt lighting the fuse (Mission Impossible theme) and movie end with hunt taking a dive in to dark.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm sensing a bit of TSWLM/GE PTS coming. Or even AVTAK Eiffel. Hunt either rides a bike or dives off (to catch something?) and/or lands on a boat below.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,602
    That shere drop in the location details would be perfect for a freejump or something similar. Cruise has said the stunt is something he has been training for which implies its something repeatable and technical so a free jump or similar would fit the bill but with camera angles etc that left it ion no doubt that it was cruise himself jumping. So effectively the PTS sequence to TSHLM but with the actor performing the stunt themselves?

Speak volumes for the buzz around MI that we are having these discussions (even on a Bond forum) are the MI forums where they are getting excited about the next Bond movie?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Bond will be back, once they recast with someone younger and now that Mendes is apparently gone. It's always that way. Fresh blood always brings excitement, more daring stuntwork (GE PTS jump, CR crane or TLD aerial sequences) and a new & more dynamic approach.

Cruise is Cruise though. A legend.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    How many countries/cities will be featured in M:I:6? I know Paris, London, India and New Zealand were already planned, and now Cruise wants to add Norway?
    @DaltonCraig007, it's especially interesting given McQuarrie said he was going to reduce the jet setting in recent comments.
    True, @bondjames. I also saw an interview from Tom Cruise a few days ago, saying how for the (almost) 2 months of production in Paris, they only worked on action scenes.
    You do wonder re the impact that Cruise brings to MI re his commitment to the stunts that a new Bond actor with the same philosophy maybe a good thing?

Cruise has raised the game IMHO and when you look at the GE PTS stunt and its clearly not PB and then you look at TC tied to the side of an Airbus, the impact is so much more
    @DaltonCraig007, I could be wrong, but I think the bulk of it will be in Paris. I wasn't even aware of India being in the plans. Surprising, given they already went there for GP.
    @bondjames I googled, and I'm seeing articles from the Indian press that 'India will be featured in the new Mission Impossible film'.
    @DaltonCraig007. I just did a search, and the latest article suggests it won't happen. Rather, they may use New Zealand or Morocco as a proxy. The Indians can be finicky and difficult at times, and that's another reason why I don't see him going there.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/entertainment/english/hollywood/tom-wont-cruise-into-india-to-shoot-for-mission-impossible-6/articleshow/58147392.cms
    Thanks for the update, @bondjames. I love how many major action films are filmed in Morocco - TLD, SP, M:I Rogue Nation, Bourne Ultimatum.
    Thanks for the update, @bondjames. I love how many major action films are filmed in Morocco - TLD, SP, M:I Rogue Nation, Bourne Ultimatum.

Yes, but considering in how many Movies this country is featured we really don't see very much of it . A take of the Kasbah, a view of the desert and most of the time that's it.
    You do wonder re the impact that Cruise brings to MI re his commitment to the stunts that a new Bond actor with the same philosophy maybe a good thing?

Cruise has raised the game IMHO and when you look at the GE PTS stunt and its clearly not PB and then you look at TC tied to the side of an Airbus, the impact is so much more
    Actually it´s much more impactful if a stuntman is involved. Cruise always being recognisable in his stunts many times reduces the impact, because the scene must be shot and edited in a way that you always see and recognise Cruise. But very many stunts look much more real and spectacular when filmed from a greater distance, where you can take in the whole surrounding, and then you won´t recognise who does the stunt.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

Actually it´s much more impactful if a stuntman is involved. Cruise always being recognisable in his stunts many times reduces the impact, because the scene must be shot and edited in a way that you always see and recognise Cruise. But very many stunts look much more real and spectacular when filmed from a greater distance, where you can take in the whole surrounding, and then you won´t recognise who does the stunt.
    I have to respectfully disagree; seeing an actor, particularly an A-list performer, actually doing a stunt adds tremendously to the effectiveness of an action sequence. Had a stuntman done the work in Cruise's MI films, they would not have nearly the same impact.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    talos7 wrote: »

I have to respectfully disagree; seeing an actor, particularly an A-list performer, actually doing a stunt adds tremendously to the effectiveness of an action sequence. Had a stuntman done the work in Cruise's MI films, they would not have nearly the same impact.

+1
    I hope Henry Cavill takes over from Cruise in M:I 7. He's a great Superman and would make a great IMF team leader.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Robertson wrote: »
    I hope Henry Cavill takes over from Cruise in M:I 7. He's a great Superman and would make a great IMF team leader.
    I actually love this idea.