Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He made a deal with the devil years ago, I believe. Hasn't aged since.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,127
    And the botox helps too.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Agreed. Scientology has been very good to him.
    He really is amazing! Fair play to him!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    A year older than Sean was in NSNA!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The man's in fine shape. Almost looks like he did in Top Gun 31 years ago. Incredible, and goes to show what a strict fitness & diet regimen (and good genes) can do.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes! The actress who is a REAL Queen joins MI6

Angela Bassett Boards Mission: Impossible 6

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/850315-angela-bassett-mission-impossible-6#/slide/1
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2017 Posts: 4,450
    Mabey there should name chacter "Collins", so she can play same chacter as in This means war and Tom Hardy chacter from that movie can be introduced in Mi7. The other actor was not that great and besides that later on he playing possible better part as Jack Ryan.

Cavill New pictures from the movie, that my earlier thaught he playing a chacter from mi3 will mabey true. 12 years a long time, but it is ony three movies later and Jeffrey and Olga wil possible return in Bond movie after 10 years/three movies later.
    She's a great addition to the cast.
    McQuarrie says they're going to give MI6 the Craig Bond treatment.....well..he didnt' say that but he said they're going serious like Bond.... which is basically what he was referencing :D Read for yourselves :)

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/christopher-mcquarrie-on-taking-mission-impossible-6-in-a-new-direction-518?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    dragonsky wrote: »
    McQuarrie says they're going to give MI6 the Craig Bond treatment.....well..he didnt' say that but he said they're going serious like Bond.... which is basically what he was referencing :D Read for yourselves :)

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/christopher-mcquarrie-on-taking-mission-impossible-6-in-a-new-direction-518?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I read that a far other way. McQuarrie said that the tone of GP and RN was great because it was what Bond used to be, but wasn't any longer because of the Craig era's more earnest tone. They were able to enter the market with something that felt fresh beside the new Bond films, because the new Bond films weren't tonally what they once were. Now with MI6 coming, they wanted to take it to a different place, but knew that if they went super serious they would be encroaching on the territory of the earnest Craig Bond. So they realized that they couldn't go all that way, in order not to give audiences what they already have with current Bond. So instead they're probably going to keep some of GP and RN's fun, but mix it with some earnest emotion too, as a balance, but while creating something that is new for the series.

I picture a film like TLD coming, that has all the escapist action and frivolity you expect, but filled with characters who feel real and do experience strong feelings in the field. I think the Craig era does this too, but McQuarrie is right in pointing out that the films come from a more earnest place now, and show a lot of content without holding back.
    Well, as a huge fan of the last two MI entries I can't say I'm necessarily happy about McQuarrie considering a change of tone, but can understand his thinking. It makes senes to shake it up from time to time.

Having said that, the possibility of a more emotionally dramatic entry does concern me, because I didn't really enjoy the last one they did like this (MI3) and I'm not too keen on Cruise going 'emotional' or 'dramatic'. He has a tendency to overplay it, at least based on prior history. If he can temper that, then it could work. This has me thinking that the returning character could be Julia.

I am happy to hear that they will spend more time in one location (something we've been asking of Bond for some time as well). Given one of the locations will be the beautiful City of Light, I'm not complaining.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »
    Well, as a huge fan of the last two MI entries I can't say I'm necessarily happy about McQuarrie considering a change of tone, but can understand his thinking. It makes senes to shake it up from time to time.

Having said that, the possibility of a more emotionally dramatic entry does concern me, because I didn't really enjoy the last one they did like this (MI3) and I'm not too keen on Cruise going 'emotional' or 'dramatic'. He has a tendency to overplay it, at least based on prior history. If he can temper that, then it could work. This has me thinking that the returning character could be Julia.

I am happy to hear that they will spend more time in one location (something we've been asking of Bond for some time as well). Given one of the locations will be the beautiful City of Light, I'm not complaining.

@bondjames, if they're going this route I hope it's Julia. That would be a very fascinating way to tackle Ethan's past, but I think it's more likely it could be old enemies coming back or something. The Syndicate still seem to have a role in the film from the last adventure as well, so it could be something way out of left field that we'll be getting.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, yes you're probably right. Julia would be somewhat predictable given they've telegraphed that past cast members could be back, and I can't see Cruise or McQuarrie wanting to be predictable. So it likely will be someone we're not expecting.

I'm intrigued by the fact that they have an eye on tone. I've speculated recently that there is a space for Bond to play with a slightly lighter tone and with a distinctly high brow British flavour. If MI moves to a little more serious place, that provides an opening for Bond to move back into. I hope they take it.
    I have faith in this team.

Having read similar comments of you before I find it highly interesting how much you reject MI3,
    yet seem to enjoy SF - which is as melodrama as it gets - at the same time. Personally I have to say from the moment on I saw the opening scene I was completely sold. Hoffman was as intense and terrifying as it gets and I also find T.C does a very good job in portraying how his selfassuredness and confidence in being able to find a way to talk himself out of the mess is shattering.

Having read similar comments of you before I find it highly interesting how much you reject MI3,
    yet seem to enjoy SF - which is as melodrama as it gets - at the same time. Personally I have to say from the moment on I saw the opening scene I was completely sold. Hoffman was as intense and terrifying as it gets and I also find T.C does a very good job in portraying how his selfassuredness and confidence in being able to find a way to talk himself out of the mess is shattering.
    Indeed, I'm glad you picked up on that dichotomy. It's the same reason I dislike TWINE with a vehemence.

In this genre in particular, I believe the hero has to tread softly when going down the emotion route. Martin Campbell understood that implicitly, and he mentioned in 2006 that he and the team agonized about how to convey Bond's angst and his emotional vulnerability with Vesper, and after her death. I believe Daniel Craig nailed it, and that's why he was the perfect actor for that film. He has a virile masculinity that emanates naturally and allows him to be vulnerable without descending into sappiness.

Tom Cruise has yet to demonstrate that for me in his films. It could have something to do with his (still) pretty boy looks and the fact that he's soft voiced, but when I see him get emotionally rankled or hurt in scenes, I find it overbearing and overdone, as I did with pretty boy Brosnan.

That's my concern. If he can overcome that tendency (and it's possible that he can, now that he is older - there is a more mature & stoic air to him these days I'll admit - then I'll be ok with it).

Furthermore, I don't like films in this genre which capitalize on the 'loved one' situation to create emotional drama. I find it 'cheap and predictable point scoring'. That's one of the reasons I really like the original Die Hard. It's teased throughout that Gruber will discover who Holly is, but he doesn't until the very end. Ellis doesn't give her up, which is what we expect him to do. Rather, he dies.

I hope that explains it. Hoffmann was indeed great. No doubt about that. Best thing about MI3.
    Hoffman was the last really good, memorable villain in the MI series. Hendrix in GP was secondary to the rest of the action. In retrospect, he reminds me of Marco Sciarra from SP. And Solomon Lane wasn't a real evil mastermind you get to hate in RN.

Hoffman's threats of finding Hunt's wife or girlfriend and hurting her really resonated more so than anything the latter two did. That's fine with me.

Am I alone in not being that amused by Simon Pegg's Benjy? I'm fine with comic relief, but he can get to the point of distraction. That's another part I liked it better in MI III when he was more in the background.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Hoffman was the last really good, memorable villain in the MI series. Hendrix in GP was secondary to the rest of the action. In retrospect, he reminds me of Marco Sciarra from SP. And Solomon Lane wasn't a real evil mastermind you get to hate in RN.

I sometimes think he was the last good villain since Walken in AVTAK.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    th

Am I alone in not being that amused by Simon Pegg's Benjy? I'm fine with comic relief, but he can get to the point of distraction. That's another part I liked it better in MI III when he was more in the background.

No you are not! To me those comical sidekicks take credibility out of any spy movie. To all those that are going to step in to defend Benjy, just think about it : if you were going in harms way against some of the most dangerous people in the world, would you like to be accompanied by someone who had to take the MIF test three times because he failed the first two?
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,162

Indeed, I'm glad you picked up on that dichotomy. It's the same reason I dislike TWINE with a vehemence.

In this genre in particular, I believe the hero has to tread softly when going down the emotion route. Martin Campbell understood that implicitly, and he mentioned in 2006 that he and the team agonized about how to convey Bond's angst and his emotional vulnerability with Vesper, and after her death. I believe Daniel Craig nailed it, and that's why he was the perfect actor for that film. He has a virile masculinity that emanates naturally and allows him to be vulnerable without descending into sappiness.

Tom Cruise has yet to demonstrate that for me in his films. It could have something to do with his (still) pretty boy looks and the fact that he's soft voiced, but when I see him get emotionally rankled or hurt in scenes, I find it overbearing and overdone, as I did with pretty boy Brosnan.

That's my concern. If he can overcome that tendency (and it's possible that he can, now that he is older - there is a more mature & stoic air to him these days I'll admit - then I'll be ok with it).

Furthermore, I don't like films in this genre which capitalize on the 'loved one' situation to create emotional drama. I find it 'cheap and predictable point scoring'. That's one of the reasons I really like the original Die Hard. It's teased throughout that Gruber will discover who Holly is, but he doesn't until the very end. Ellis doesn't give her up, which is what we expect him to do. Rather, he dies.

I hope that explains it. Hoffmann was indeed great. No doubt about that. Best thing about MI3.

Even so I consider you a debaters debater and you always state your opinions with very well chosen words I'm afraid that - at least when it comes to movies -our tastes are quite far apart
    (except that both of us are quite disgusted by SP. That's at least counts for something, as DC.'s Bond would put it)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,127
    Crazy to think that Mission Imp 5 came out only roughly 4 months before SPECTRE, and yet they are already in production, while Bond has yet to release a first tidbit of news.
    Crazy to think that Mission Imp 5 came out only roughly 4 months before SPECTRE, and yet they are already in production, while Bond has yet to release a first tidbit of news.

I guess it all comes down to how professional and committed the team producing it is.

Even so I consider you a debaters debater and you always state your opinions with very well chosen words I'm afraid that - at least when it comes to movies -our tastes are quite far apart
    (except that both of us are quite disgusted by SP. That's at least counts for something, as DC.'s Bond would put it)
    There's nothing wrong with different tastes @noSolaceleft. That's what makes life interesting. I hope you weren't thinking that I was trying to convince you of anything. I was merely trying to clarify why I personally feel a certain way about MI3 and another way about SF, which you asked me about.

I forgot to mention another factor which is critical to my perceptions of the two films and the performances therein. In MI3, the angst comes from Hunt. It's personal to him, because his wife is taken (after his trainee is killed). In SF, I've always felt that the angst is around Bond. He does not partake of it. Bond is relatively stoic in the face of adversity in that film. The only part where he does show grief is at the very end, and I've never been a fan of seeing Bond cry there (I don't believe he did in OHMSS, or if he did Laz didn't show it so outwardly). I think Mendes went too far here.

So bottom line is I don't mind angst, but I don't want to see it from the hero. I'd rather he remain above the fray, as it were. It's another reason why I'm pretty much done with the Craig era, unless they lighten it up a bit going forward.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »

As do I and McQuarrie seems to be very attuned in how to develope the franchise and when to push forward accordingly without relying on old hat gimmicks and blatantly ripping off the competition; something the Bond films have been guilty of for too long.

There's nothing overly special about McQuarrie but he demonstrates the right mindset and approach that EoN shouldhave.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,042
    doubleoego wrote: »

As do I and McQuarrie seems to be very attuned in how to develope the franchise and when to push forward accordingly without relying on old hat gimmicks and blatantly ripping off the competition; something the Bond films have been guilty of for too long.

There's nothing overly special about McQuarrie but he demonstrates the right mindset and approach that EoN shouldhave.

He has a great command of dialogue and plot structure and is able to experiment in writing without going too far overboard.

If EON could find an equivalent of him then they would be in a good place - someone who not only understands what people want and the history behind the types of films that he is making, but is also willing to take a few risks without going too far from what made people like it in the first place.
    doubleoego wrote: »

the fact Cruise and Co got Mcquarrie before EON annoys me I championed Mcquarrie to at least write a Bond film ever since Usual Suspects

Now I champion his writing and directing and before people say "well Bond will lose his british identity" BULL Bond will still be Bond with Mcquarrie at the helm.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 1,884
    Bond has had Americans writing the films since the beginning of the series. So I'm not sure why having an American director would make a difference in identity. Is he a good director and will he bring something to the series it needs? Those are my requirements.

Besides, I didn't hear any complaints when a guy named Mendes directed a movie called American Beauty.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited June 2017 Posts: 45,489
    Cruise wants to shoot the climax of MI6 at Prekestolen in Lysefjorden, Norway. The story is in several Norwegian papers.
    lysefjorden_fjelltur_preikestolen_1700x600.jpg
    gag290_8877.jpg