Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

Excellent, I like it when a franchise keeps rolling.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This franchise, and all involved have such a swagger. This is one I'm really looking forward to.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,474
    I see they broke one rule... it's Tom Cruise with short hair, again. Consecutively done. :))

The OCD in me is livid. Could definitely be a continuity thing, but Harris in that straitjacket is rocking quite the beard.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I see they broke one rule... it's Tom Cruise with short hair, again. Consecutively done. :))

The OCD in me is livid.
    Glad I'm not the only one who has that issue. :))
    I hope this one is more of a worldwide success like the 4th one. The 5th one felt like it wasn't well appreciated as it was in middle of other famous movies. I hope when MI:6 is out people would talk about it and not about "Yeah it was a good movie but next week there's another good movie!"
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »
    This franchise, and all involved have such a swagger. This is one I'm really looking forward to.

With no Bond film on the horizon this is my go to spy franchise at present.
    I've enjoyed all the film in this series, but from GP onwards, they've really upped the ante in my opinion. Love GP and RN, and with the same team back for MI6 I'm hoping for great things. If its anything like the last two, I think they'll deliver.
    Light the fuse....

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I hope this one is more of a worldwide success like the 4th one. The 5th one felt like it wasn't well appreciated as it was in middle of other famous movies. I hope when MI:6 is out people would talk about it and not about "Yeah it was a good movie but next week there's another good movie!"
    I agree that the 5th one got somewhat lost in an overbusy year for spy films. However, for me, it's like fine wine. Gets better with age. Upon first watch I thought it was just ok. When I saw it for a 2nd time in the theatre, however, I was hooked and realized what a tour de force it was.
    Benny wrote: »

With no Bond film on the horizon this is my go to spy franchise at present.
    I've enjoyed all the film in this series, but from GP onwards, they've really upped the ante in my opinion. Love GP and RN, and with the same team back for MI6 I'm hoping for great things. If its anything like the last two, I think they'll deliver.
    Light the fuse....
    Agreed. It's my go to franchise at the moment as well, and I'm very confident Cruise will deliver. The best thing I read in the above post was that he and Kirby have great chemistry. That's an essential ingredient for a top notch MI film. If they can combine the larger than life feel of the 4th one with the superb character interplay and performances of the 5th one, they will have a sure fire killer film on their hands.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames It's also very cool that M:I:6 is in production now, as it will allow EON to see what they are up against and react accordingly by making a kick-ass Bond 25. I'm not saying Rogue Nation was better than SP, as I really enjoyed both, but I think it was a good thing when the 4th M:I came out in late 2011, which made EON focus on making a superb new Bond film - which turned out to be SF, which was a massive juggernaut in terms of critics/audience reactions and box office success.
    That's a good point @DaltonCraig007. There were certain SF inferences & influences in MI-RN as well (including a missing disc from British Intelligence as well as the intense mid stream team effort PTS) and on a recent watch I could see that Cruise upped his game considerably in the 5th one on account of the success of the 2012 Bond effort.

So yes, I hope that EON will be focused on account of MI6. They are the major competitor these days - not Bourne. The fact that many life long Bond fans (myself most certainly included) were far more impressed with MI-RN than SP should give them pause.

I was relieved that they didn't choose to one-up MI-GP with SF (there's no way they could have, because nobody does the stunts like Cruise - no disrespect to Craig), but rather, went down the personal character thriller route. I hope they do that again, if Craig is back. Play to your lead actor's strengths, and not his weaknesses.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,690
    Absolutely, @bondjames, the 'competition' between Bond and M:I is really good to see. I hope both M:I:6 and Bond 25 are fantastic, because I think Cruise is capable of doing a 7th outing if the opportunity presents itself. So if M:I is still going strong by then, it will be a joy to watch what will possibly be Cruise's last M:I as the lead actor while Bond #7 will be debuting around the same time.
    More than anything, I too really want to see Cruise back for another MI after MI6 @DaltonCraig007. He is going from strength to strength as Hunt, and it would be shame to see him leave as he hits his peak.

Like others have noted, I'd really like him to step back and do a Phelps or Hunley thing going forward rather than leave the franchise, with some deliberate field work (perhaps one really kick 'a' action scene) at some point during a future film. Like Ali (or any other great boxer or athlete) during his later days, he will still be capable of action brilliance in spurts, even if he can't do it throughout the whole film. He is a good enough actor that he can deliver in a mainly behind the desk role as well.

We saw indications of that in MI-RN when he was instructing Benji in Austria before the Opera sequence.
    @bondjames the question is - when will Cruise's fitness start its inevitable decline? I mean, just look at the 2nd trailer for 'The Mummy'. We're now 6 years past 'Ghost Protocol' when he was still in his 40's, and he is still doing not only insane stunts, but his films are very action packed. He's going to turn 55 during the production of M:I:6 and by the time the film is released, 'Collateral' will be 14 years ago. I'm sure that 1 year from now when the trailer for M:I:6 drops we'll be amazed at the amount and quality of the action, and at that time he'll be busy filming another action flick for 2019. He obviously can't keep doing this forever, but it seems like we are going to see quite a few more Tom Cruise action vehicles in the next few year.
    He's very fortunate to still have a bit of his legendary baby face @DaltonCraig007. As long as he keeps that, I think physically he can go on for some time (like Willis and Sly). However, I don't see him wanting to if he can't continue to dazzle us with something spectacular that we've not seen before.

We sometimes forget that he is a superb and acclaimed actor, and not just an action star. I can see him easily gravitating into more mature character roles when the time is right, but I believe he knows he has to give it his all while he still has the physicality. In fact, I'd like to see him tackle a romantic comedy (Grant style) while he still has his looks. I think he could really nail it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    @bondjames It's also very cool that M:I:6 is in production now, as it will allow EON to see what they are up against and react accordingly by making a kick-ass Bond 25. I'm not saying Rogue Nation was better than SP, as I really enjoyed both, but I think it was a good thing when the 4th M:I came out in late 2011, which made EON focus on making a superb new Bond film - which turned out to be SF, which was a massive juggernaut in terms of critics/audience reactions and box office success.

Ok, I'll say it, Rogue Nation was better than SPECTRE! :D

Bring it on. Something I'll actually go to a cinema to see.

Sadly, the MI series has delivered more than the Bonds have recently. Forget trying to compete with Bourne, MI is setting the pace in the action/spy genre as far as I'm concerned.
    Bourne's time has passed, if you ask me. At least the Matt Damon incarnation of the character and the tonal atmosphere of his films that screamed post-9/11. Films require a different template now, and Mission: Impossible has already blended in to it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Bourne's time has passed, if you ask me. At least the Matt Damon incarnation of the character and the tonal atmosphere of his films that screamed post-9/11. Films require a different template now, and Mission: Impossible has already blended in to it.

This is how I feel about the Craig Bond films.

I'll get clobbered for this but I also feel the same about the Craig Bond films.

I'll get clobbered for this but I also feel the same about the Craig Bond films.
    +1. I'm up for a change but if he must do one more I'll be ok with it. I'm quite certain it won't impress me like his earlier efforts though. Actors change as they progress with their tenure.

Yes, and franchises like Mission Impossible learned to adapt. After MI3, the tone of the films changed dramatically to accommodate the new times. That's why Tom Cruise is a great leading man. He could adapt as the times changed, and the films have only grown more popular as a result.

With Craig, we're stuck in 2006.
    bondjames wrote: »

+1. I'm up for a change but if he must do one more I'll be ok with it. I'm quite certain it won't impress me like his earlier efforts though. Actors change as they progress with their tenure.
    Along with their contemporary settings, as well. Moore was no longer suitable by the time the eighties were cut in half, for example. Every age requires its own actor of generation.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere

Yes, and franchises like Mission Impossible learned to adapt. After MI3, the tone of the films changed dramatically to accommodate the new times. That's why Tom Cruise is a great leading man. He could adapt as the times changed, and the films have only grown more popular as a result.

Idiotic comment. Cruise plays one character in all his films. He hasn't visibly changed or grown as a character in any of them.

Idiotic comment. Cruise plays one character in all his films. He hasn't visibly changed or grown as a character in any of them.

I didn't say he changed character, or grown. He adapted to the scripts, and that's a far more subtle skill. Cruise has a lot of durability in that sense.

I didn't say he changed character, or grown. He adapted to the scripts, and that's a far more subtle skill. Cruise has a lot of durability in that sense.
    Agreed. Undoubtedly. That's why he's been at the top of his game for as long as he has. It's quite remarkable really, and on par with earlier greats like Grant & Co. All the more impressive given that we live in a disposable culture now that doesn't hold actors at the same level of continued esteem as they did in the past. This is why I can see a day when he adapts yet again to more 'senior age' appropriate roles.

Ok, I'll say it, Rogue Nation was better than SPECTRE! :D

Seconded. It's not even a contest, really.
    bondjames wrote: »

Agreed. Undoubtedly. That's why he's been at the top of his game for as long as he has. It's quite remarkable really, and on par with earlier greats like Grant & Co. All the more impressive given that we live in a disposable culture now that doesn't hold actors at the same level of continued esteem as they did in the past. This is why I can see a day when he adapts yet again to more 'senior age' appropriate roles.

I like your idea of him becoming a mentor type, overseeing the operations. Then, at a point in the mission where everything is going wrong, he can perform some vital stunt which saves it. I think that way they could make another trilogy after VI.
    Basically, a la Jim Phelps. The original one.
  • Basically, a la Jim Phelps. The original one.

Actually, Dan Briggs (Steven Hill) was the original. And, there are a number of first-season episodes where Briggs gets the mission, participates in the briefing scene and isn't seen again.

That was because Hill, for religious reasons, would leave work at sundown on Friday. In real life, scripts were revised. Originally, Martin Landau's Rollin Hand was only going to be in a handful of episodes. Some of the revisions had Rollin in more episodes.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    I know Dan Briggs was the first one and the entire backstory behind his departure. I was referring to Peter Graves' Phelps rather than Voight's.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I would just add that I think Dan has adapted to the feel of each film. He could do light but cold in CR, morose and introspective in QoS, and a return to the mix of light and earnest in SF and SP in a more traditional Bondian tone. I can chart Bond's growth through his performance at every moment, and that's all down to Dan being conscious of how Bond is being written.

I like Cruise and MI, but Ethan is a rather empty character and because of that there's no sense of him progressing anywhere. They're fun films to watch, but I attach no heart to them. It's a shame too, as Tom could totally give him depth, even if it's just a little.