Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I don't need personal growth from these films. How much did Connery personally grow as Bond? Not Much. I think the character of Ethan Hunt has been a great balance of man on a mission with an occasional glimpse into a deeper parts of him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    talos7 wrote: »
    I don't need personal growth from these films. How much did Connery personally grow as Bond? Not Much. I think the character of Ethan Hunt has been a great balance of man on a mission with an occasional glimpse into a deeper parts of him.
    I agree. For me, the depth comes from the actor and the manner in which we subtly see elements of his character through his performance and how he reacts to situations over a series of films. With time, we get to understand what makes the character (as personified by a particular actor) tick.

I feel like I know Hunt, and I felt the same about Connery Bond and Moore Bond, despite not getting explicit revelations about their past or seeing either of them encounter significant personal loss. I don't need the peel back in order to relate to an actor's portrayal. In fact, I'd prefer not to get it in this genre.
  • edited April 2017 Posts: 5,767
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree. For me, the depth comes from the actor and the manner in which we subtly see elements of his character through his performance and how he reacts to situations over a series of films. With time, we get to understand what makes the character (as personified by a particular actor) tick.

I feel like I know Hunt, and I felt the same about Connery Bond and Moore Bond, despite not getting explicit revelations about their past or seeing either of them encounter significant personal loss. I don't need the peel back in order to relate to an actor's portrayal. In fact, I'd prefer not to get it in this genre.
    There speaks a wise man!

Stunt double? So that must be Tom Croose in action again ;-).
    That clip looks like from the ending of MI5?

^ Can you remind me how MI5 ended?

Also..why is Cruise driving the baddie in those pics? I mean...it makes no sense :?
    dragonsky wrote: »
    ^ Can you remind me how MI5 ended?

Also..why is Cruise driving the baddie in those pics? I mean...it makes no sense :?

I'm sure it will. Possibly Ethan broke him out of prison for some reason. Wait where did I hear that Idea before ;)

Reading that article made me feel so old. One of the captions stating that the original film came out 21 years ago when Cruise was 33. I remember going to see that film in the theater 21 years ago and now I'll turn 33 this year.

Still can't wait for this film, though. I've never had a bad time in a Tom Cruise film and I don't imagine that the streak will be broken with this one.

Great photos I did not know Sean Harris is returning, avoided most info on MI: 6.

This is so random and funny to me so I had to share it :D

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2017 Posts: 4,444
    Wade Eastwood returns from Mi5 as second united directer/Stuntcoordinator.
    Neil Courbould (Chris Courbould brother and working earlier on movies like Black Hawk Down and Kingsman.) as special effects supervisor.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thanks for the update, @M_Balje. Happy to see more and more cast and crew returning from the previous installment.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 40,474
    A BTS shot of McQuarrie, Cruise, and Cavill, as they prepare to shoot THE big action sequence that Cruise has been training over a year for:

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, the glass bridge thing you think?
    I'm hoping so; the way they amped it up in the past, alongside the fact that budgetary/time restraints forced them to cut it, I wouldn't be shocked if that's what it was. Looks like he has some form of safety gear/parachute equipment on, too, so perhaps it was tweaked to have him parachute out as an escape, as opposed to dangling in the air and climbing back up like they once mentioned. Time will tell! Very curious to see how they can one-up Cruise climbing the world's tallest building and being strapped to the side of a flying airbus.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I'm unfortunately going to have to ignore the links posted on this thread until release. I know this film is going to be fantastic, and I'd rather not spoil it for myself. I went into MI-RN with limited knowledge and that's how I'd like to keep it for this one too.

PS: I'm liking the stache on Cavill
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I think this piece of action will be in the middle of the film like the Dubai rope piece was in Protocol to avoid the misstep Rogue Nation had by doing the airbus scene right out of the gate. I know many felt the film peaked in action at that point and never matched it afterward. This time I think the action will be more balanced, and the moment we're seeing teased (and that will no doubt be the biggest featured aspect of the action in the coming trailers) will be the thing the movie leads up to like a big treat you're always waiting for minute by minute.
    @Creasy47, I think this piece of action will be in the middle of the film like the Dubai rope piece was in Protocol to avoid the misstep Rogue Nation had by doing the airbus scene right out of the gate. I know many felt the film peaked in action at that point and never matched it afterward. This time I think the action will be more balanced, and the moment we're seeing teased (and that will no doubt be the biggest featured aspect of the action in the coming trailers) will be the thing the movie leads up to like a big treat you're always waiting for minute by minute.

I certainly hope so. It didn't necessarily take away from the awe of the airbus stunt (though I suppose seeing it endlessly in the trailers did a bit), but putting your biggest stunt in the first five minutes does set up the audience for a bit of disappointment when the rest of the action doesn't deliver in the same way. Then again, the sequence running from the underwater vault to the end of the motorcycle chase was incredible.
    I never felt that the action peaked with the Airbus sequence personally. I found the bike/car chase and the opera sequence utterly compelling. The Airbus thing was just to market the film (in that regard it was in contrast to the Dubai sequence which was somewhat of a peak in MI-GP).
    I think my favorite piece of action from all those films has to be the car park fight of Protocol. The other stuff is great to good in the films, but that one stands out as a really clever and tense bit of action that was beautifully shot and choreographed. It's one of the most jealous moments I felt as a Bond fan, wishing the Craig films had got there first!
    I agree. The car park fight reminds me of something they would have done in a classic Bond film. Using the environment with twists and turns very memorably while also showcasing something technological and inventive. The last time they did that well was the parkour.
    The car park fight is a good way to take a fist fight between the hero and the villain, and throw it in an insanely jarring environment, much like @bondjames said, which I love. I know most, if not all, would disagree, but my favorite piece of action in the series is that MI:2 finale.
    I would love to see a Bond film use a similar bit of action that was staged in an area always changing. I've had the idea for a long time, but I'd love to see Bond fight a villain around some space exploration facility that spills out into a chamber to test anti-gravity. Bond and the guy (or guys) would be fighting like mad, but at times the chamber would turn gravity off and they would be sent spinning around in mid-air. The fight would change from moment to moment with fast and quick blows being exchanged as gravity keeps changing, often with Bond and the combatants falling on their backs after being sent up into the air again. I think Dan would do great in a fight like that.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    The car park fight is a good way to take a fist fight between the hero and the villain, and throw it in an insanely jarring environment, much like @bondjames said, which I love. I know most, if not all, would disagree, but my favorite piece of action in the series is that MI:2 finale.

I really enjoy the action of MI:2. I also think the bike scene of MI:5 paid a little homage to its past through that similar set piece.
    I've never thought of it that way before, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but in a way, it does seem like an homage, and sort of reminds me of the car chase between Ethan and Naya earlier on in the second film, which is also in a desert-like area (and occurs alongside the edge of a cliff).
    I really liked the way they brought all the various pieces together during that Opera sequence in MI-RN as well. The choreography and interplay between the various goings on was superbly crafted. Again, while watching it I was reminded of vintage Bond sequences, in the way it was done. Visceral enough without being too brutal, but also stylish with some smarts on display from the protagonist.
    I like Cavill with a moustache, it adds interesting characteristic to him
    dragonsky wrote: »
    I like Cavill with a moustache, it adds interesting characteristic to him

Yes, I think him looking different from usual will help him slip more into character.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Well that breaks the short hair odd films, long hair even films trend.
    I've always thought the short hair looked better; at this point it's more youthful. Roger would have benefitted immensely with a shorter haircut in his later Bond films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I agree, although he did look badass in part 4.
    I like the long hair on Cruise personally, but perhaps this is a direct sequel, and hence a similar style to RN is required.