Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Ludovico wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    On another, far darker note, my cousin, a fairly famous person, has been publicly accused of sexual assault.

I hesitate to ask, but would you care to elaborate? ;-)
    Well, he's not been charged for crimes as of yet, I hope he never does but he at least admitted of being unethical. I don't really want to give his identity. Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I'm sad for his children and for his and my family.

Whatever happens to him, I hope you and your family stay far away from any negative publicity!
    On another, far darker note, my cousin, a fairly famous person, has been publicly accused of sexual assault.

I hesitate to ask, but would you care to elaborate? ;-)
    Well, he's not been charged for crimes as of yet, I hope he never does but he at least admitted of being unethical. I don't really want to give his identity. Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I'm sad for his children and for his and my family.

Whatever happens to him, I hope you and your family stay far away from any negative publicity!

Thanks. It's going to be difficult for everyone I think: his children are not guilty of anything, for one. He's family, but even taking this into account and attenuating factors, we can't excuse what he did.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Waking up every morning as stiff as a board (and I don't mean the normal morning 'stiffness' associated with the male of the species) certainly sets the stage for a full day's worth of moaning and whinging.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    stag wrote: »
    Waking up every morning as stiff as a board (and I don't mean the normal morning 'stiffness' associated with the male of the species) certainly sets the stage for a full day's worth of moaning and whinging.

Getting a stomach flue or infection or whatever it is, whilst working as a self-employed consultant on a highhprofile it project for the government is certainly not helping my mood. Especially as the good doctor has told me it can last up to two weeks. They're really going to love me at the office....
    people are paying 1500$ for fake QE autographs , youre not gonna get a real one for that now......RIP to a british icon/institution
    Two things today : First : The other day, I was talking to one of my coworkers. She had severed a sinew on her left hand (the pinkie finger one), and since then, despite all the best efforts of her therapist, couldn't bend said finger anymore. So, I made a joke, telling her she was now an Invader, and... She didn't get the reference. I mean, I can understand if people don't know some of the things I know (case in point, nobody at work knew who Lea Salonga is, because she made her career outside of France, and there's not a great number of musical theatre afficionados in France), but that should not be the case for The Invaders. Not only did that show air in France, and was reaired quite a few times since its original airing, but it also inspired quite a few parodies over the years (Les Inconnus comes to mind). So, am I becoming too old already ?

Second : There is a (french) forum about Doctor Who I frequent and post frequently on. But, since a few months already, I have the impression I'm the only one posting on it. Nobody seems to be on it when I go there, none of my posts seem to elicit any response (even important ones, like the one I made about the demise of Bernard Cribbins), and some parts of it haven't seen any activity since one or two years. CoVid hasn't killed veryone there, has there ? So, what's happening ? It's not as if there was no Doctor Who related activity in the world, what with the Centenary Special approaching, and the 60th birthday next year, not to mention various DVDs and books going out. So the question I'm asking is : should I still post on that forum, or not ? In short, to quote The Clash : "Should I stay or should I go ?"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tracy wrote: »
    people are paying 1500$ for fake QE autographs , youre not gonna get a real one for that now......RIP to a british icon/institution

Only once in my life did I get an autograph, and I ate it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Gerard wrote: »
    Second : There is a (french) forum about Doctor Who I frequent and post frequently on. But, since a few months already, I have the impression I'm the only one posting on it. Nobody seems to be on it when I go there, none of my posts seem to elicit any response (even important ones, like the one I made about the demise of Bernard Cribbins), and some parts of it haven't seen any activity since one or two years. CoVid hasn't killed veryone there, has there ? So, what's happening ? It's not as if there was no Doctor Who related activity in the world, what with the Centenary Special approaching, and the 60th birthday next year, not to mention various DVDs and books going out. So the question I'm asking is : should I still post on that forum, or not ? In short, to quote The Clash : "Should I stay or should I go ?"

Hhmm, strange. I have never been in that position. I have been at the birth of a forum, where it was just me and the admin posting. Honestly, it sounds like a ghost town, except for you posting, I would give up.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Gerard wrote: »

Hhmm, strange. I have never been in that position. I have been at the birth of a forum, where it was just me and the admin posting. Honestly, it sounds like a ghost town, except for you posting, I would give up.

Is there an indication for number of views? Where the current state doesn't attract comments, and even if it did, knowing the activity can be the real measure of how your input is valued @Gerard. Which I expect collects good content over time to be available in the long term.

Sounds like a dream. I wish it was only me posting here.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Isn't that what you're meant to do with them? Anyway, I hope it had a rich taste.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Isn't that what you're meant to do with them? Anyway, I hope it had a rich taste.

I met the Belgian band TC Matic at a gas station in Oslo in 1986 after a concert, where I had bought a portion of French fries and I handed the ketchup bottle to front man Arno Hintjens who gave me an autograph. I then ate it.

This is TC Matic, it was a great gig, saw them again shortly after. The autograph however was just part of my electric system for a day.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I met the Belgian band TC Matic at a gas station in Oslo in 1986 after a concert, where I had bought a portion of French fries and I handed the ketchup bottle to front man Arno Hintjens who gave me an autograph. I then ate it.

This is TC Matic, it was a great gig, saw them again shortly after. The autograph however was just part of my electric system for a day.

So did he write his name out in ketchup and you ate it up? Or did you eat the ketchup bottle? 🤔
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Me. It was all me, Thundy. It's always been me. The author of all your ochlophobia.

Remember, if it hadn't been for @QBranch, this forum would've been dead long ago.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

You ARE the only one posting here. We're all parts of your multiple-personality.

You ARE the only one posting here. We're all parts of your multiple-personality.

This is the truth.

This is the truth.

This is probably an inconvenient time to make you aware that duplicate accounts are against the site rules. Lawyers!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

But if you post something, and there’s no one around to reply to it, does it count as a post? Or is it just you taking up space from the MI6 Community server?
    if youre a goat or a beetle then you CAN eat an autograph.....they love to eat paper
    if youre a goat or a beetle then you CAN eat an autograph.....they love to eat paper

Moths and slugs too it seems. I speak from experience.
    its dangerous being a rapper it seems , they get killed often......
    its dangerous being a rapper it seems , they get killed often......

Gun violence seems to be their culture and what they rap and indeed boast about. It's merely the modern iteration of those that live by the sword dying by the sword.
    My rant is about posting new topics.

Posting without first searching for duplicate threads to then have them closed = fair enough.

Posting after checking the forum system for duplicate threads to then have them closed = Hmm.

Being instructed that the forum search system is unreliable, being directed to other methods, using those methods and finding no duplicates to then have them closed = HMMM!

Using the other methods. finding no duplicates then asking a senior forum member to double check and being told it's okay to post then having the new topic closed = total frustration and the conclusion that adding to the forum by way of new topics is an exercise in futility.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    What original threads have you made that were closed?

Agree that it's annoying that the search function in-forum is all but useless. Time to bring the forums out of the dark ages... and into the light!

Also I'm not sure why threads being closed is upsetting... surely it's helpful, if a mod directs you to a thread where there is already a discussion being had, and there's ostensibly a built in audience of people already participating in the thread for your topic . Why are you attached to being the "originator" of a thread? The fame and fortune?
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2022 Posts: 6,733

Posting without first searching for duplicate threads to then have them closed = fair enough.

Posting after checking the forum system for duplicate threads to then have them closed = Hmm.

Being instructed that the forum search system is unreliable, being directed to other methods, using those methods and finding no duplicates to then have them closed = HMMM!

Using the other methods. finding no duplicates then asking a senior forum member to double check and being told it's okay to post then having the new topic closed = total frustration and the conclusion that adding to the forum by way of new topics is an exercise in futility.

Adding a new topic is not for the faint of heart. I have successfully ventured into that territory a few times, but it takes some serious mental strength. You must hope for success, but be prepared for failure. The embarrassment of having a locked thread, the frustration over the other thread(s) that you missed and which covered the same subject matter, the looks from your fellow users, haunting you, judging you, analyzing every post you make, every next thread you will create...

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. But I'm dropping this thread creation business, and I'm off to live in Jamaica in happy, thread-free semi-retirement. I'll be discussing the details of my retirement in a new thread I'm going to call-- no, wait, I'm falling back on old habits.
    M(ods) really don't mind you opening a few threads on the side, @Stag, they'd just prefer if they weren't duplicates.

If the lock button is supposed to scare me, you have the wrong man. If M was so sure I was bent, she'd have sent a mod. Benefits of being an MI6 senior member, I'd have known if you were promoted to thread closing status, wouldn't I? Your file shows no threads closed, and it takes-

Two.

Shame. We barely got to know each other in the "Introduce Yourself" thread.

I know you've started 70 discussions, I suppose that's something.

How did it go? My Bond Novels Questions Thread?

Not too bad, not extremely popular.

You needn't worry... the second, is-

[LOCKED]

EDIT: Very proud of this, my 6,000th post, lol

@NickTwentyTwo You should take a little time to actually digest what I've said, you might then understand.

I'm unsure why you're speaking about 'lock buttons' and otherwise rambling?

Unless you're trying to pick a fight? (Be aware I'll not go down that route).

I'll repeat myself in the hope it will sink in. The frustration comes about as a result of taking the usual steps to ensure I'm not duplicating threads both using the site search facility and the external methods as pointed out to me by a couple of members then, just to be sure, going to the effort of asking a mod to double check on my behalf, being given the all clear to then have the new topic closed by another mod!

The need to not duplicate threads is obvious, but when you take all necessary precautions and more to ensure that this is not the case, there's really no way of moving forward with new topics.

Surely it was obvious I was making a joke. You strike me as the type to take things far too seriously.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @NickTwentyTwo, @mattjoes
    You made me laugh, gents. 😊

Ah yes, the thread closing business. I am not going to die on this hill. All I can say is that we don’t close threads for fun, and it's nothing personal either. When I close a thread, I probably can't remember whose it was two minutes later.

Fact is, we don't close too many threads, we close too few. Too many duplicates still slip through our fingers. I recently discovered we have several Carte Blanche threads, all more or less discussing the same things. Why not stick to one?

Anyway, it is what it is. The in-forum search function finds words, Google finds threads. And if threads are given cryptic titles, nothing can help. Still, I don't get the frustration. We close threads and tell people where to take the discussion instead. So pray tell, why are we getting on some people's nerves?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 40,474

So which brand new, original threads have you created (with prior approval or not) that have been closed? I'd love some examples and links.