Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited August 2022 Posts: 17,809
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I'm gonna say here I just hope Salman Rushdie pulls through.

Yes, me too. That was an awful and cowardly attack on that great writer yesterday. Sir Salman's on a ventilator at the minute, can't speak and his agent says he may lose an eye. The local police said he was stabbed in the neck and abdomen and I've heard his liver is badly damaged too.

It is a real shock as it had been presumed that the death threat issued in 1989 by the then Ayatollah of Iran had receded over the years, even though the bounty on his head was never officially rescinded. Sadly, it seems that this was not the case and there were those prepared to attempt to kill him if an easy venue could be found. At least his attacker has been arrested and hopefully he will face the full rigour of the law.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Let them first deliver proof of a god--which they can't and never will--before they kill in his/her/its/their name.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I'm gonna say here I just hope Salman Rushdie pulls through.

Yes, me too. That was an awful and cowardly attack on that great writer yesterday. Sir Salman's on a ventilator at the minute and his agent says he may lose an eye. The local police said he was stabbed in the neck and abdomen and I've heard his liver is badly damaged too.

It is a real shock as it had been presumed that the death threat issued in 1989 by the Ayatollah of Iran had receded over the years, even though the bounty on his head was never officially rescinded. Sadly, it seems that this was not the case and there were those prepared to attempt to kill him if an easy venue could be found. At least his attacker has been arrested and hopefully he will face the full rigour of the law.

What I want is all the enablers and those who issued death threats and calls to violence against Rushdie over the years to face justice. He had already paid a heavy price to use his free speech. How many years was he forced into hiding? There should be consequences for this too. If I was shouting into the streets of London that the PM or the Queen should be killed for whatever reason, I'd be thrown in jail. Or I'd certainly get a criminal trial.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 2022 Posts: 2,928
    What I want is all the enablers and those who issued death threats and calls to violence against Rushdie over the years to face justice. He had already paid a heavy price to use his free speech. How many years was he forced into hiding? There should be consequences for this too. If I was shouting into the streets of London that the PM or the Queen should be killed for whatever reason, I'd be thrown in jail. Or I'd certainly get a criminal trial.
    Yes, something weird went on here in the UK back when all this began. When the Islamist mobs took to the streets in '88/89 with their nooses and placards stating their intention to kill Rushdie, Thatcher left them completely free to do it. Whenever counter-protests took place, the police actually lined up to protect the anti-Rushdie mobs so that they could carry on yelling their death threats unhindered. Not even kidding.
    Yes, I know that government supposedly doesn't intervene in policing, etc, but the British police weren't called 'Thatcher's Bootboys' for nowt, after all. Yet after years of her spouting about 'the rule of law, not the rule of the mob', the mobs that were openly issuing death threats to Rushdie were allowed to just get on with it. This was in stark contrast to a decade's-worth of police and govt responses to protest. Very strange and very marked.
    I still haven't heard an explanation/excuse for it either. It later came out that Thatcher was deep in cahoots with various Islamic regimes at the time, selling arms to Saddam and the Saudis, helping Iraq to build chemical plants, etc, so there may have been a softly-softly response in order not to threaten profits by offending regimes she was in business with, I dunno. Unfortunately, it taught certain sectors of society that they could act like this and get away with it. Escaping scot-free often emboldens someone to go further - and here we are.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Better that people fight amongst themselves, than that they should unite against the regime.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Remember, Islam is a religion of peace. Their Bounties, are issued with love and kindness. The lucky recipient will receive a hug.
  • edited August 2022 Posts: 14,831
    Venutius wrote: »
    Yes, something weird went on here in the UK back when all this began. When the Islamist mobs took to the streets in '88/89 with their nooses and placards stating their intention to kill Rushdie, Thatcher left them completely free to do it. Whenever counter-protests took place, the police actually lined up to protect the anti-Rushdie mobs so that they could carry on yelling their death threats unhindered. Not even kidding.
    Yes, I know that government supposedly doesn't intervene in policing, etc, but the British police weren't called 'Thatcher's Bootboys' for nowt, after all. Yet after years of her spouting about 'the rule of law, not the rule of the mob', the mobs that were openly issuing death threats to Rushdie were allowed to just get on with it. This was in stark contrast to a decade's-worth of police and govt responses to protest. Very strange and very marked.
    I still haven't heard an explanation/excuse for it either. It later came out that Thatcher was deep in cahoots with various Islamic regimes at the time, selling arms to Saddam and the Saudis, helping Iraq to build chemical plants, etc, so there may have been a softly-softly response in order not to threaten profits by offending regimes she was in business with, I dunno. Unfortunately, it taught certain sectors of society that they could act like this and get away with it. Escaping scot-free often emboldens someone to go further - and here we are.

I've read somewhere today that the reaction at the time was a bit like this: many on the left thought it was kind of rude and unsensitive of Rushdie to "insult" and "mock" Muslims, while many on the right thought he was a Muslim and an Asian himself anyway so that was a foreign problem not worthy of wasting time and taxpayers' money. It is as if we've learned nothing in 30 years.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    No need for anyone to comment, but I have to vent about Brexit again.
    I am currently planning a vacation and wanted to buy some Lonely Planet guidebooks. We borrowed some from friends, but a lot of stuff is outdated, because of the pandemic. LP just released new editions for the area we are visiting that promise to have re-checked whether the recommended places are still open for business. For some reason the booksellers here in Germany only have those new editions available at the end of September, eventhough they were published (whatever that means) in the beginning of August. So I bought them directly from the Lonely Planet website. Turns out eventhough their European HQ is in Dublin, their warehouse for sending books to Europe is in the UK, so now the postman delivering the package with the books demanded an extra 8€ in tarriffs (and processing fee from the carrier) for the books.
    I already think Brexit is stupid, but to still have your European warehouse in the UK is just stupid squared. Of course I kind of get it for British companies. Setting up a secondary warehouse in the EU is expensive. But I just can't get over an American company having their European HQ in Ireland (fat guess what the reason for that is) and their warehouse in the UK.
    I guess they just sell the vast majority of their books through bookstores and not directly to consumers..
    I am currently planning a vacation and wanted to buy some Lonely Planet guidebooks. We borrowed some from friends, but a lot of stuff is outdated, because of the pandemic. LP just released new editions for the area we are visiting that promise to have re-checked whether the recommended places are still open for business. For some reason the booksellers here in Germany only have those new editions available at the end of September, eventhough they were published (whatever that means) in the beginning of August. So I bought them directly from the Lonely Planet website. Turns out eventhough their European HQ is in Dublin, their warehouse for sending books to Europe is in the UK, so now the postman delivering the package with the books demanded an extra 8€ in tarriffs (and processing fee from the carrier) for the books.
    I already think Brexit is stupid, but to still have your European warehouse in the UK is just stupid squared. Of course I kind of get it for British companies. Setting up a secondary warehouse in the EU is expensive. But I just can't get over an American company having their European HQ in Ireland (fat guess what the reason for that is) and their warehouse in the UK.
    I guess they just sell the vast majority of their books through bookstores and not directly to consumers..

Brexit is stupid like water is wet. It doesn't help that the names of such obnoxious men as Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson are forever carved into the face of Brexit. And yes, consumers pay big time. (Of course, the European Union isn't exactly helping with its stubbornness either. Politicians are like little children.) Still, since Brexit, I sort of don't really feel particularly welcome in the UK anymore. I've been travelling to Ireland now instead. And I like it.

Try bookdepository. They are shipping for free worldwide.
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Thanks. Now I remember you already recommended that in an earlier discussion.
    The books I'd want are double the price there than what I paid, but it's good to keep in the back of the mind.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Not that I disagree with the brexit-is-stupid line of thinking, but on the other hand their support may have been hampered by France and Germany's indecisivness and willingness to help Putler 'safe face'. I'm very thankfull for the British swiftness (compared to other allies) for helping out, and I'm still angry about Europe's slow, doubtfull and indecisive response (to this day). It really goes to show we're willing to stand for our ideals (not).
    If I in my own home talk about things that bother me, why does my PC offer ads that address those very problems shortly after, and why do other family members and colleagues experience the same quite often? It is divine intervention, isn t it?
    If I in my own home talk about things that bother me, why does my PC offer ads that address those very problems shortly after, and why do other family members and colleagues experience the same quite often? It is divine intervention, isn t it?

Algorithms from hell, my friend. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I thought as much. Now my computer will soon address solutions to that very problem soon.

I thought as much. Now my computer will soon address solutions to that very problem soon.

No doubt. And your computer will also demand big payments. It's a plague. I've got the same going on here.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 9,771
    As some here will tell you I have been working my ass off and I can finally wear 32 size pants somewhat comfortably (ok they are a little tight) but not as bad as They were. My mom without even seeing me says over the phone “wear the baggier pants”

It’s like jeez can’t someone like believe in me
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 13,936
    The AI is listening for real.

I worked with a guy named Marty and a guy named Alan who was a big bloke. I keep my phone behind me while I'm at my workstation. Once, I got a facebook email for two friend suggestions, that being one 'Marty' and one 'Big Al'. Both names in the one email, and it wasn't those guys emailing me because I mentioned to them what happened.
    QBranch wrote: »
    The AI is listening for real.

I worked with a guy named Marty and a guy named Alan who was a big bloke. I keep my phone behind me while I'm at my workstation. Once, I got a facebook email for two friend suggestions, that being one 'Marty' and one 'Big Al'. Both names in the one email, and it wasn't those guys emailing me because I mentioned to them what happened.

Same thing happened to me with LinkedIn. I am out of there now.
    Today was my son's first day of school in year 1. Time runs too fast.
    He is in for a treat. Compliments from teachers, fights with bullies, young romances, ... I wish your son a great time, @Ludovico! 😉
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

I remember when your son was born. They certainly grow up quick. Wishing your son every happiness at school.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Risico007 wrote: »
    As some here will tell you I have been working my ass off and I can finally wear 32 size pants somewhat comfortably (ok they are a little tight) but not as bad as They were. My mom without even seeing me says over the phone “wear the baggier pants”

It’s like jeez can’t someone like believe in me

I thought that was an American thing, wearing oversize clothing. We just bought new clothes for our 4 y/o (sizes 6-7 y/o) and we call him now 'our little Amercan' as the sizes are for now a bit too big. He'll catch up though, faster than we can keep up with.

Anyway, good job on getting to the size you want to! Keep it up and the jeans will fit in no time. I for one consider my mother's clothing advise as at least one advise you should never follow up on. Parents seem to not be able to see you past 13. It's in their nature. ( I still have 9 years to start breaking that spell).

Poor kid.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    Not a rant but an observation from near the front of the queue at the cemetery gates.

I'm an old fogey compared to you lot, but it's only recently that I've become aware of my physical limitations.

Confronting old age is quite scary (and I've confronted a lot of scary things in my time) accepting the inevitable decline into the dust is going to be a challenging chapter.
  • stagstag In the thick of it!
    The awful 'M' skits by Dame Judy Dench on the 'save money on your insurance ads:

Now that's worth a rant.

She's just been on and made me realise how awful those ads are.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 1,640
    2 constipations for me and now theyve got e.coli too , no more Wendys for me

Y'all should be eating Wheaties , not that Brexit stuff , it worked for Ronnie Tutt :D
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I remember when your son was born. They certainly grow up quick. Wishing your son every happiness at school.

Thanks. He did his Reception year already. But year 1 sounds so much... bigger.
    He is in for a treat. Compliments from teachers, fights with bullies, young romances, ... I wish your son a great time, @Ludovico! 😉
    Thanks! He'll break hearts. We're trying to convince him to do the drama club. I kind of hope he'll be the next James Bond. He has the blue eyes for it.

On another, far darker note, my cousin, a fairly famous person, has been publicly accused of sexual assault.
    On another, far darker note, my cousin, a fairly famous person, has been publicly accused of sexual assault.

I hesitate to ask, but would you care to elaborate? ;-)

I hesitate to ask, but would you care to elaborate? ;-)
    Well, he's not been charged for crimes as of yet, I hope he never does but he at least admitted of being unethical. I don't really want to give his identity. Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I'm sad for his children and for his and my family.