Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Whatever anyone thinks of Boris Johnson, he believes that climate change is happening and is a threat, unlike the Republican leaders in the US.

Compared to what's going on in America, Johnson is a perfectly level-headed man. I don't think Marjory Taylor Greene would ever be allowed more than five minutes inside the British Parliament.

Nadine Dorries isn't much saner than MTG.

At least she's a good novelist. ;)

She is? I wouldn't know, but I'm very skeptical. She's like Anne Widdecombe, with a bit less nastiness. Her charge against sex education was as stupid as it was misleading and frankly shameful coming from a former nurse.

I was being sarcastic of course. I've seen one of her novels in an indoor market that I frequent. Apparently, she's written sixteen books thus far. I see her first novel got terrible reviews with one reviewer saying it was the worst novel he'd read in ten years. I doubt she's any Disraeli when it comes to writing novels.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I think we've had atheist presidents in America; they just haven't come out for it. I really don't think the likes of Clinton or Trump really ever meant their "gawd bless America" any more than I would mean it if I swore on the baaahble in an Arkansas courtroom.

It would certainly be refreshing if a president would drop the "G.B.A." A country doesn't need to be blessed by a divine force, it bloody has to take care of itself.

Strictly speaking I'd presume TRump to be believing in a Christian sense, as he plays the part of the antichrist remarkably well.

Just checking with Wikipedia:
    "The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices or cardinal sins, is a grouping and classification of vices within Christian teachings.[1] Although they are not directly mentioned in the Bible, there are parallels with the seven things God is said to hate in the Book of Proverbs. Behaviours or habits are classified under this category if they directly give rise to other immoralities.[2] According to the standard list, they are pride, greed, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony and sloth,[2] which are contrary to the seven capital virtues."

Let's see:
    Pride - check
    greed - definately
    wrath - absolutely
    envy - No president talked more of his predecessor than Trump - check
    lust - yep
    sloth - hell yes.

So, he can't be not-christian, as he's explicitly sticking to the things God doesn't like at all. Hence beeing the anti-christ. One can only be an anti-christ by recognising the existence of Christ.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    If Trump were the Antichrist, me and him should have some words. You see, I'd love to retire in Hell someday, at least the version where you eat peppers all day, are never cold, play gambling games, and have -- oohlala -- endless orgies.

I've had people tell me before that they will pray for me because as an atheist I'm sure to end up in Hell. I usually respond with a smile, "Fine, I'd love that!" The funny thing is that they assume that an atheist would care. :-D
  • edited July 2022 Posts: 12,270
    At least Satan seems to treat everyone with equal evil and isn’t a selective bigot like God!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Although 1 John 2:22: the Antichrist explicitly 'denies that Jesus is the Christ.'
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Tracy wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/obgp3a/in_this_1981_article_promoting_for_your_eyes_only/

i heard a rumor once that Bouquet had to do a sexual favor to Broccoli in order to get the Bond part , if this is true and with her druggie bf then its no wonder shes unhappy about the experience

Interesting read.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/obgp3a/in_this_1981_article_promoting_for_your_eyes_only/

i heard a rumor once that Bouquet had to do a sexual favor to Broccoli in order to get the Bond part , if this is true and with her druggie bf then its no wonder shes unhappy about the experience

I hope it's not true. I don't think she'd have gone through with it had Broccoli asked her that,,especially since she said her role as a Bond girl brought nothing to her career.
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Whatever anyone thinks of Boris Johnson, he believes that climate change is happening and is a threat, unlike the Republican leaders in the US.

Compared to what's going on in America, Johnson is a perfectly level-headed man. I don't think Marjory Taylor Greene would ever be allowed more than five minutes inside the British Parliament.

She is? I wouldn't know, but I'm very skeptical. She's like Anne Widdecombe, with a bit less nastiness. Her charge against sex education was as stupid as it was misleading and frankly shameful coming from a former nurse.

I was being sarcastic of course. I've seen one of her novels in an indoor market that I frequent. Apparently, she's written sixteen books thus far. I see her first novel got terrible reviews with one reviewer saying it was the worst novel he'd read in ten years. I doubt she's any Disraeli when it comes to writing novels.

Some people when they are famous just easily get publishing contracts.
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Some people when they are famous just easily get publishing contracts.

Indeed, which might explain Richard Osman's literary career also and the seven-figure sum he was paid to have his crime novels published.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Venutius wrote: »
    Although 1 John 2:22: the Antichrist explicitly 'denies that Jesus is the Christ.'

yes, but accepts there is a christ. It's kind of hard beeing the polar opposite of something that doesn't exist. And anyway, he's a lier and a cheat by definition..
    If Trump were the Antichrist, me and him should have some words. You see, I'd love to retire in Hell someday, at least the version where you eat peppers all day, are never cold, play gambling games, and have -- oohlala -- endless orgies.

I've had people tell me before that they will pray for me because as an atheist I'm sure to end up in Hell. I usually respond with a smile, "Fine, I'd love that!" The funny thing is that they assume that an atheist would care. :-D

be carefull what you wish for, I'm not sure you'd be too happy with the participants of the orgy. On the other hand, no sex at all in heaven would be far, far worse....

I hope it's not true. I don't think she'd have gone through with it had Broccoli asked her that,,especially since she said her role as a Bond girl brought nothing to her career.

I don't believe so, that would be very much out of character for Broccoli. He just plainly states that they weren't looking for acting talent, so perhaps that's the main reason why so many didn't succeed in an acting career. I have no doubt that the real twist lies in the fact that Barbara and MGW obviously started looking for real acting talent, not just pretty faces, and have done so admiringly. The result: far better films and higher grossing ones too.

yes, but accepts there is a christ.
    But denies that it's Jesus. Whereas Trump claims to be a 'non-denominational Christian' - which suggests that he accepts that Jesus was the kristos. As this is something that the Antichrist denies, that alone means that Trump's not the Antichrist, right? Which is a good thing, obvs! :D
    Broccoli...just plainly states that they weren't looking for acting talent, so perhaps that's the main reason why so many didn't succeed in an acting career.
    Yes, I think that's pretty much it in a lot of cases.

Trump is a Presbyterian I think, or at least he was. That fits as his mother was Scottish and he used her Bible when he was swearing the oath to become US President back in January 2017.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Trump clearly worships a false god...himself.
    Indeed. If Trump's a Christian, when's he going to do as Jesus said and 'sell everything you have and give the money to the poor'? I mean, that's what Christians have been doing for the last 2000 years, right? Oh, wait...
    If there's one thing we've surely learned from history it's that you don't become president of the United States without a shedload of money behind you.
    I can only assume that Truss has promised JR-M and Dorries a lifetime supply of cheese, for their backing.

And then we have cheesy '80s gameshow host Rishi Sunak in the lead currently.

Oh god I hope not. He was fined for breaking the riles that they set out. That alone, should rule him out. Then their is his finances. How could a PM as rich as Sunak is, have any idea what we are going through right now? My heart weeps for him not being able to afford his usual brand of Caviar.

Yes, he has some major obstacles to overcome with his past conduct, unpopular higher tax policies as Chancellor and his wife's non-dom tax status. He's the first British politician to make it into the Sunday Times Rich List, so he's seriously rich. It seems he's had his leadership campaign video prepared well in advance, like he's been chomping at the bit for months to take over. There's an undeniable slickness there, but there needs to be substance behind that too, otherwise it's just more spin and PR. He may well have peaked too early with his support figures and so the only way for him to go might be down but it seems highly likely he'll be in the last two that go before the Conservative Party membership. It looks like either Penny Mordaunt or Liz Truss will be one of the last two and I'm not sure who I'd prefer currently. The problem is Boris Johnson assembled a kind of Second XI Cabinet with MPs unlikely to get a major job under any other Conservative PM and so there's not a lot of good competition to the undoubtedly clever and highly ambitious Sunak. I suspect, even at this early stage, that it's his to lose though there is a long way to go yet and Harold Macmillan's "events, dear boy, events" could still come in to play.

I think it'll be down to Sunak and Mordaunt. In which case, I hope Mordaunt gets it. If Sunak wins, I hope Labour are able to force a General Election soon afterwards. Badenoch is another that I would prefer over Sunak, but given how far behind she is, I suspect she will be taken out of the running today or tomorrow.

Sadly I think you're right. I think I'd prefer Liz Truss to Penny Mordaunt, even though she did make a hash of things when she was Lord Chancellor. I think she just looks and sounds more prime ministerial and has held more big Cabinet jobs than Mordaunt, culminating in one of the Great Offices of State, Foreign Secretary. I fear that Penny Mordaunt doesn't really have enough Cabinet experience (nor does Tom Tugendhat or Kemi Badenoch) to be prime minister at this time of national and international crisis.
    Trump is a Presbyterian I think, or at least he was. That fits as his mother was Scottish and he used her Bible when he was swearing the oath to become US President back in January 2017.

I doubt Trump has ever been Presbyterian or Christian in any way except nominally. He could not quote a single line for the Bible (baffling in itself as so many of them are famous saying) and it's been known that he found the Christian preachers who backed him up to be at best a bunch of weirdos.
    Absolutely.

I doubt Trump has ever been Presbyterian or Christian in any way except nominally. He could not quote a single line for the Bible (baffling in itself as so many of them are famous saying) and it's been known that he found the Christian preachers who backed him up to be at best a bunch of weirdos.

That could well be the case but I just wanted to point out his lineage as far as I know it. Many people sadly use religion as a means to an end or as cover for their less than saintly activities or personal life.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Indeed. I suspect that these powergrabbers just use it as a tool to smooth their way into certain circles. I could see them claiming to follow whichever religion was the establishment religion of the system they were trying to gain power and leverage in. Or, equally, professing to be humanist if that was the way they could climb the greasy pole. It's just a means to an end for them.

That could well be the case but I just wanted to point out his lineage as far as I know it. Many people sadly use religion as a means to an end or as cover for their less than saintly activities or personal life.

At this point the religious right in the US has turned into a bizarre cult that has nothing to do with Christianity. I mean they literally turned Trump into a golden idol!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Indeed. I suspect that these powergrabbers just use it as a tool to smooth their way into certain circles. I could see them claiming to follow whichever religion was the establishment religion of the system they were trying to gain power and leverage in. Or, equally, professing to be humanist if that was the way they could climb the greasy pole. It's just a means to an end for them.

Well, we know that Trump courted both the Catholic and Evangelical sects right before losing the election, promising to install some ultraconservative women-haters in the supreme court in return for votes. As a result, the man who himself ordered tons of abortions in his wilder days and, in fact, called himself "pro-choice" most of his life, is directly responsible for the countless tragedies that are waiting to happen to rape victims and abused girls in America.

So evidently, religion is being used as a mere tool. Not as a force for good, not as the thing that should bind all Americans together, but as a strategic, political tool. It's always been that way. Nothing else explains the fact that we still have religion in the first place. Men in power, across the globe, keep superstition, dogma and anti-science alive because it gives them control.

If someone told me to blow myself up in a school in the name of Gawd, I'd smile, walk away and report that person to the police. Unfortunately, not everyone would.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    We were warned many years ago......
    Dwayne wrote: »

Well, I suppose that clerical fascism had been around for a long time so what Zappa said was not really unprecedented.
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/21231/does-nttd-hate-james-bond#latest

I’ve talked about bigotry at length here, and sadly it has infiltrated our own forum. I hope a moderator sees this (I’m on mobile and can’t find a way to flag / report) and takes action.
    Penny Mordaunt's leadership campaign video:

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2022 Posts: 13,894
    Meanwhile, Liz Truss' campaign summed up in one clip...

On the outside chance that she get in, I hope someone gives her a map to help find her way in and out of no.10. ;)
    Meanwhile, Liz Truss' campaign summed up in one clip...

On the outside chance that she get in, I hope someone gives her a map to help find her way in and out of no.10. ;)

Bit of an Alan Partridge moment there. That's just the sort of thing that happens during these leadership bids and the cameras are there to record it all.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    She is definitely corrupt and ignorant enough to become the next British figurehead,
    She is definitely corrupt and ignorant enough to become the next British figurehead,

She has a knack for gaffes and as I said above, was a terrible Lord Chancellor and Justice Secretary. To think that position used to be held by a judge up until the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 changed things.