Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

DarthDimi wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Okay, those horrendous bull fights are going on again in Pamplona. Is it wrong of me to want those poor bulls to get a few punches in themselves and seriously maim some of the idiots still organizing these pathetic displays of human stupidity?

oh they sometimes do, and sure get applauded for it by a lot of people. I like Spain (we're there now, not in Pamplona) but its one part of this culture that I'll never understand.

It is utterly barbaric. I don't get it. Once again the foolish notion that "tradition" is somehow to be preserved reigns supreme. Culture, tradition, habits... I've never understood their appalling rigidity.

Anecdote about this: I'm a big opera fan, my wife is not. She's also a vegetarian and appalled by bullfighting. Once I was watching the film adaptation of Bizet's Carmen by Francesco Rosi and during the knife fight between Don Jose and Escamillo, she was rooting for Don Jose to kill the torero.

😃
    Birdleson wrote: »
    It’s ridiculous. Pure torture, nothing honorable about it from my perspective.

Agreed!
    FoxRox wrote: »
    “Tradition” could be the most overrated concept ever, and a terrible excuse to perpetuate abhorrent activities, behaviors, and beliefs.

It is mostly an excuse to be intellectually lazy and not having to adjust to a constantly changing world.

It’s true. Not accepting the fact change is inevitable and always happening makes for very, very poor “rules” and “customs.” It’s changed tremendously in my short life just from the 2000s to now, more than I could fathom. And I’ve changed too, for the better entirely I’d argue.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Okay, those horrendous bull fights are going on again in Pamplona. Is it wrong of me to want those poor bulls to get a few punches in themselves and seriously maim some of the idiots still organizing these pathetic displays of human stupidity?

oh they sometimes do, and sure get applauded for it by a lot of people. I like Spain (we're there now, not in Pamplona) but its one part of this culture that I'll never understand.

It is utterly barbaric. I don't get it. Once again the foolish notion that "tradition" is somehow to be preserved reigns supreme. Culture, tradition, habits... I've never understood their appalling rigidity.

Anecdote about this: I'm a big opera fan, my wife is not. She's also a vegetarian and appalled by bullfighting. Once I was watching the film adaptation of Bizet's Carmen by Francesco Rosi and during the knife fight between Don Jose and Escamillo, she was rooting for Don Jose to kill the torero.

😃

Agreed!
    “Tradition” could be the most overrated concept ever, and a terrible excuse to perpetuate abhorrent activities, behaviors, and beliefs.

It is mostly an excuse to be intellectually lazy and not having to adjust to a constantly changing world.

It’s true. Not accepting the fact change is inevitable and always happening makes for very, very poor “rules” and “customs.” It’s changed tremendously in my short life just from the 2000s to now, more than I could fathom. And I’ve changed too, for the better entirely I’d argue.

You and I are them same then. Why resist the natural flow of things, the fact that society is changing ever faster? I'd say we child out, embrace the future and not automatically assume that every change is bad by definition. A nostalgic longing to a golden past that never was is what keeps many trapped in a frozen state of fear and anger. But not even laws can keep the world from changing. You can keep fighting all you want, all you do is delay the inevitable. There are positive sides to most changes too, but only an open mind can spot them.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

😃

Agreed!

You and I are them same then. Why resist the natural flow of things, the fact that society is changing ever faster? I'd say we child out, embrace the future and not automatically assume that every change is bad by definition. A nostalgic longing to a golden past that never was is what keeps many trapped in a frozen state of fear and anger. But not even laws can keep the world from changing. You can keep fighting all you want, all you do is delay the inevitable. There are positive sides to most changes too, but only an open mind can spot them.

I agree with the thought that tradition is not a valid excuse to continue to do anything. On the subject of change, whether technological or cultural, I must say I find it mesmerizing. I'm fascinated by the idea that a thousand years from now, many aspects of our current way of thinking and acting will be seen as barbaric. To some extent, I wish I could stick around to see what's it going to be like.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,551
    mattjoes wrote: »

😃

Agreed!

I agree with the thought that tradition is not a valid excuse to continue to do anything. On the subject of change, whether technological or cultural, I must say I find it mesmerizing. I'm fascinated by the idea that a thousand years from now, many aspects of our current way of thinking and acting will be seen as barbaric. To some extent, I wish I could stick around to see what's it going to be like.

Excellent point. And I don't think we have to wait a thousand years. I think and hope that in two or three generations from now, people will scorn the excesses of the '80s, the complacency of the '90s and especially the maddening politics of today. I am sure that history books (?) will look back with revolt on 6 Jan, the political inertia towards climate change, epidemics, the energy crisis and more. Bloody hell, I wish I were alive in 2100 just to apologize on behalf of our current leaders.
    January 6 and a certain atrocity of a presidency need to be taught in all history books the right way as far as I’m concerned. Also while I’m at it on this thread, and this year proves it more than ever, just because something is the LAW does not make it RIGHT or MORAL!
    Quite right. We need laws, I suppose, but not all laws are a force for good.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Quite right. We need laws, I suppose, but not all laws are a force for good.

On the contrary, sticking to laws without human weighing, as in rules-are rules, is almost by definition a force for evil. You should always weigh any action on a morality scale.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    So do I.

This reminds me of what I was taught in school: that the US was founded by people who believed in freedom of religion and that that was a good thing.

I told this to a UK friend and he laughed: "Oh, we shipped all our religious crazies to the US."
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    echo wrote: »
    So do I.

This reminds me of what I was taught in school: that the US was founded by people who believed in freedom of religion and that that was a good thing.

I told this to a UK friend and he laughed: "Oh, we shipped all our religious crazies to the US."

that is, to an extend, true. Many people from my country left here as well because they thought Dutch law wasn't religious enough. At the same time, it was the Dutch who expressed the need for religious freedom, 200 years earlier (so they could do more business). https://www.everyculture.com/multi/Du-Ha/Dutch-Americans.html
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.

Thanks for the link. I wasn't aware that several state constitutions actively require that an office holder be superstitious.
    They say that it’s “unenforceable,” but that doesn’t mean damage still isn’t being done. It scares atheists and hurts their reputations when it comes to running. I want an atheist president who will say “enough ‘thoughts and prayers,’ now we act for ourselves and make real change. I won’t care about what religious people do the moment they stop caring about what their neighbor’s sexual orientation is.” I don’t care about the harmless and quiet religious people, I care that religion’s becoming the law of my country and oppressing millions.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    They say that it’s “unenforceable,” but that doesn’t mean damage still isn’t being done. It scares atheists and hurts their reputations when it comes to running. I want an atheist president who will say “enough ‘thoughts and prayers,’ now we act for ourselves and make real change. I won’t care about what religious people do the moment they stop caring about what their neighbor’s sexual orientation is.” I don’t care about the harmless and quiet religious people, I care that religion’s becoming the law of my country and oppressing millions.

I share your feelings. I have relatives in the US (my much older cousin and her husband emigrated from Germany in 1952) who claim to be "born-again Christians" and very probably voted for TFG. It was their attempts to missionarize me from 1974 on which ultimately made me the atheist that I've decided I've been for a few decades.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 23,551

I think we've had atheist presidents in America; they just haven't come out for it. I really don't think the likes of Clinton or Trump really ever meant their "gawd bless America" any more than I would mean it if I swore on the baaahble in an Arkansas courtroom.

It would certainly be refreshing if a president would drop the "G.B.A." A country doesn't need to be blessed by a divine force, it bloody has to take care of itself.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Whatever anyone thinks of Boris Johnson, he believes that climate change is happening and is a threat, unlike the Republican leaders in the US.
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Whatever anyone thinks of Boris Johnson, he believes that climate change is happening and is a threat, unlike the Republican leaders in the US.

Compared to what's going on in America, Johnson is a perfectly level-headed man. I don't think Marjory Taylor Greene would ever be allowed more than five minutes inside the British Parliament.
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Compared to what's going on in America, Johnson is a perfectly level-headed man. I don't think Marjory Taylor Greene would ever be allowed more than five minutes inside the British Parliament.

What if she has Lauren Boebert and her guns along?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

What if she has Lauren Boebert and her guns along?

I dread the day.
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

Nadine Dorries isn't much saner than MTG.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    One of the clods in the rat race has said they'll make Dorries Deputy PM! I...I...ah, it just make you tired, man.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

At least she's a good novelist. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I can only assume that Truss has promised JR-M and Dorries a lifetime supply of cheese, for their backing.
    I can only assume that Truss has promised JR-M and Dorries a lifetime supply of cheese, for their backing.

And then we have cheesy '80s gameshow host Rishi Sunak in the lead currently.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Oh god I hope not. He was fined for breaking the riles that they set out. That alone, should rule him out. Then their is his finances. How could a PM as rich as Sunak is, have any idea what we are going through right now? My heart weeps for him not being able to afford his usual brand of Caviar.
    edited July 2022 Posts: 17,809

Oh god I hope not. He was fined for breaking the riles that they set out. That alone, should rule him out. Then their is his finances. How could a PM as rich as Sunak is, have any idea what we are going through right now? My heart weeps for him not being able to afford his usual brand of Caviar.

Yes, he has some major obstacles to overcome with his past conduct, unpopular higher tax policies as Chancellor and his wife's non-dom tax status. He's the first British politician to make it into the Sunday Times Rich List, so he's seriously rich. It seems he's had his leadership campaign video prepared well in advance, like he's been chomping at the bit for months to take over. There's an undeniable slickness there, but there needs to be substance behind that too, otherwise it's just more spin and PR. He may well have peaked too early with his support figures and so the only way for him to go might be down but it seems highly likely he'll be in the last two that go before the Conservative Party membership. It looks like either Penny Mordaunt or Liz Truss will be one of the last two and I'm not sure who I'd prefer currently. The problem is Boris Johnson assembled a kind of Second XI Cabinet with MPs unlikely to get a major job under any other Conservative PM and so there's not a lot of good competition to the undoubtedly clever and highly ambitious Sunak. I suspect, even at this early stage, that it's his to lose though there is a long way to go yet and Harold Macmillan's "events, dear boy, events" could still come in to play.
    Good points, @DarthDimi.

At least she's a good novelist. ;)

She is? I wouldn't know, but I'm very skeptical. She's like Anne Widdecombe, with a bit less nastiness. Her charge against sex education was as stupid as it was misleading and frankly shameful coming from a former nurse.

Yes, he has some major obstacles to overcome with his past conduct, unpopular higher tax policies as Chancellor and his wife's non-dom tax status. He's the first British politician to make it into the Sunday Times Rich List, so he's seriously rich. It seems he's had his leadership campaign video prepared well in advance, like he's been chomping at the bit for months to take over. There's an undeniable slickness there, but there needs to be substance behind that too, otherwise it's just more spin and PR. He may well have peaked too early with his support figures and so the only way for him to go might be down but it seems highly likely he'll be in the last two that go before the Conservative Party membership. It looks like either Penny Mordaunt or Liz Truss will be one of the last two and I'm not sure who I'd prefer currently. The problem is Boris Johnson assembled a kind of Second XI Cabinet with MPs unlikely to get a major job under any other Conservative PM and so there's not a lot of good competition to the undoubtedly clever and highly ambitious Sunak. I suspect, even at this early stage, that it's his to lose though there is a long way to go yet and Harold Macmillan's "events, dear boy, events" could still come in to play.

I think it'll be down to Sunak and Mordaunt. In which case, I hope Mordaunt gets it. If Sunak wins, I hope Labour are able to force a General Election soon afterwards. Badenoch is another that I would prefer over Sunak, but given how far behind she is, I suspect she will be taken out of the running today or tomorrow.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/JamesBond/comments/obgp3a/in_this_1981_article_promoting_for_your_eyes_only/

i heard a rumor once that Bouquet had to do a sexual favor to Broccoli in order to get the Bond part , if this is true and with her druggie bf then its no wonder shes unhappy about the experience