Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,932
    You should try the trains north of Birmingham some time, Gerard - they're as good as anywhere in the Third World... 🙄
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Venutius wrote: »
    You should try the trains north of Birmingham some time, Gerard - they're as good as anywhere in the Third World... 🙄

I don't understand. Japan prides itself on the strictest train service in the world. A train that runs five minutes late means apologies will be made on national TV. Yet our train adventures here in Europe can be quite daunting. Where do we fail? And we do, trust me. I've had my share.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    +1 for the hate summer crew. Once the temp hits double digits, I start feeling like Ace Ventura inside that mechanical Rhino. No too mention that the hotter the temperature gets, the dumber people become.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Yet our train adventures here in Europe can be quite daunting. Where do we fail? And we do, trust me. I've had my share.

I spent a month in Italy last year and had no complaints about the trains until my final night, when I took the night train from Venice to Rome. The train had "signal issues" and stopped multiple times for maddeningly long stretches. As a result it arrived in Rome five hours late and I missed my flight home. Fortunately the airline rebooked me for the next day without any charges, but I will never again ride an Italian night train.
    A perhaps controversial opinion: I HATE the expression / saying: "It holds up" or "Does it hold up?" in relating to older art, particularly movies is where I see it used most. Expecting / hoping for older media to reflect all of today's preferences and attitudes is stupid. EVERYTHING is inevitably going to become "dated" in certain regards, be it an awkward moment of homophobia that was once seen as less offensive or effects that aren't easy on the eyes. Old media shouldn't have to be asked / judged by "does it hold up?" I feel like there's an underlying implication it's less valuable or we should toss it away if it doesn't match how "things are now," which by the way won't be how things are in another several years.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 14,835

I don't understand. Japan prides itself on the strictest train service in the world. A train that runs five minutes late means apologies will be made on national TV. Yet our train adventures here in Europe can be quite daunting. Where do we fail? And we do, trust me. I've had my share.

I love train travels, in general, but yes, services has gone low. In the UK it's often shameful. I must say though I loved it in France.

Oh and I'm glad I'm not the only one disliking summer.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 12,270
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/24/politics/dobbs-mississippi-supreme-court-abortion-roe-wade/index.html

It happened. The shame that has to be carried being an American grows ever stronger. I loathe being tied to this place more than I can say. To all my fellow American women, I am so, so sorry. This is crippling and the clearest demonstration yet our government views you as second-class citizens.
    edited June 2022 Posts: 23,553
    Give them a gun but no control over their body. Land of the free!

Or back to Medieval times.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »

I love train travels, in general, but yes, services has gone low. In the UK it's often shameful. I must say though I loved it in France.

Oh and I'm glad I'm not the only one disliking summer.

Usually it's quite comfortable (admittedly I tend to travel 1st class), but like anywhere with a lot of pressure on the infrastructure, when it goes wrong, it goes wrong big time. Last week there was another suicide/accident with a person. They happen a couple of times per year on my normal route. Its very sad, and very disruptive too. half the province had no rail traffic for hours.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 2022 Posts: 2,627
    FoxRox wrote: »
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/06/24/politics/dobbs-mississippi-supreme-court-abortion-roe-wade/index.html

It happened. The shame that has to be carried being an American grows ever stronger. I loathe being tied to this place more than I can say. To all my fellow American women, I am so, so sorry. This is crippling and the clearest demonstration yet our government views you as second-class citizens.

And it will not end here. As part of today’s ruling, Justice Thomas wrote about having the court re-examine decades old rulings concerning contraception, etc..

I’m reluctant to speak politically (given the civil tone we try to maintain on these forums), but it is clear that as a nation we are careering towards no longer being a representative democracy. Rather than trying to build a nation that is more inclusive, the “Monster from the ID” has declared war on that very concept.
    They’re coming for everything, yes, including gay marriage. It certainly is the most apocalyptic time in my lifetime. Essential freedoms and liberties are never truly guaranteed. The law does NOT always equal what’s right.
    They’re coming for everything, yes, including gay marriage. It certainly is the most apocalyptic time in my lifetime. Essential freedoms and liberties are never truly guaranteed. The law does NOT always equal what’s right.

It's unfortunate that some people crave a return to a "glorious" past that never was. Misplaced nostalgia, moral panic, and religious fundamentalism should never determine the course a country takes. And then there's the USA.
    Feeling bummed this new job I started last week isn't really working out.
    Back to the drawing board again I fear.

It's unfortunate that some people crave a return to a "glorious" past that never was. Misplaced nostalgia, moral panic, and religious fundamentalism should never determine the course a country takes. And then there's the USA.

Yes. Religion’s becoming the law like the Middle East now. Their nostalgia and view of “the good old days” is poisonous and they want it back for the wrong reasons. I think there are good and reasonable things to miss, like the lack of toxic social media, school shootings, and COVID, but there was also tons more open bigotry and less advanced technology. Every era comes with its challenges. But the way I see my country sliding back right now is nothing short of horrifying. Living in a time when this, 2016, and COVID have happened, I don’t doubt any possibilities anymore.
    @FoxRox
    I'm sure the battle is not over yet. I'm sure these judges will soon realise the error of their ways. As soon as people start tripping again over women bleeding to death in public restrooms after failed attempts to abort a pregnancy themselves, something else might happen. But whatever happens next, we'll not see fewer abortions, but we will see more of them go horribly wrong. The blood of those women is on conservative hands.

@ToTheRight
    That sucks! Mind telling us what went wrong?
    @FoxRox
    I'm sure the battle is not over yet. I'm sure these judges will soon realise the error of their ways. As soon as people start tripping again over women bleeding to death in public restrooms after failed attempts to abort a pregnancy themselves, something else might happen. But whatever happens next, we'll not see fewer abortions, but we will see more of them go horribly wrong. The blood of those women is on conservative hands.

@ToTheRight
    That sucks! Mind telling us what went wrong?

Well, my paycheck didn't go thru and I had to jump thru hoops just to get it corrected. HR doesn't seem to know how to deal with these issues. In addition my check was pretty screwed up anyway. Then I got a negative performance review by the HR person.
    She might've been retaliating for all the fuss I put up trying to get paid.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Dwayne wrote: »

And it will not end here. As part of today’s ruling, Justice Thomas wrote about having the court re-examine decades old rulings concerning contraception, etc..

I’m reluctant to speak politically (given the civil tone we try to maintain on these forums), but it is clear that as a nation we are careering towards no longer being a representative democracy. Rather than trying to build a nation that is more inclusive, the “Monster from the ID” has declared war on that very concept.

I am ashamed of my country today.

It also needs to be said--so that people outside the US understand it--that none of the four decisive votes (Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Barrett) were installed by presidents who won the majority of the US popular vote. None.

Truly it is rule by the minority in the US now.
    Good to see some of my fellow Americans standing with me on this here. There is no room to be silent anymore about it. Real, serious freedoms are being snatched. And Dimi is exactly right - this doesn’t “stop” abortions, it makes them dangerous and illegal. You think people under 21 don’t drink? They use ill-conceived “morals” and no common sense.

I can only hope this is VERY temporary. It sucks all the more I’m trapped in a red state with no good economic outlook at the moment to get out. Just makes me so mad and sick, the whole thing. I do hope people outside the US do understand that this is not how all of us are, and that we are under actual tyranny right now that doesn’t speak for all of us.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    @ToTheRight. I really hope this works out. If you can find a sympathetic ear with someone else that works there, that often helps.

I remember starting a new consulting assignment back in the fall of 2006 (the Monday after CR was released in fact) and knowing after two weeks that it wasn’t a good fit. To try to make it “fit” I wound up working ridiculous and became very unpleasant to be around. (And didn’t even get to see CR until it came out on DVD!)

I managed to stick it out until my projects were completed, but I didn’t stay a moment more than I had to.

And they're coming for contraceptives too, apparently. They've already started burning books.
    That's rough, @Dwayne. I actually had a rough time during 2006 job wise as well. I had been laid off from a company I'd worked 8 years for. By the fall I was juggling 2 part time jobs . One was for a video store so I'd gotten discounts on the new UE Bond DVD box sets. I did manage to see CR, though.
    I relocated to a rural town back in 2015 and the jobs out here are slim. Mostly warehouses and brokerage Since my girlfriend passed I've been restless and wanting to try new things, so it's kind of my own fault bouncing around like The Fugitive.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    That's rough, @Dwayne. I actually had a rough time during 2006 job wise as well. I had been laid off from a company I'd worked 8 years for. By the fall I was juggling 2 part time jobs . One was for a video store so I'd gotten discounts on the new UE Bond DVD box sets. I did manage to see CR, though.
    I relocated to a rural town back in 2015 and the jobs out here are slim. Mostly warehouses and brokerage Since my girlfriend passed I've been restless and wanting to try new things, so it's kind of my own fault bouncing around like The Fugitive.

I don't you think you have anything to blame yourself for, @ToTheRight. You've had a rough time, you deserve some happiness. Trying new things is good! It takes courage but it opens up possibilities with a renewed perspective on life. In the end, your efforts will pay off. But it sucked this time, that's for sure. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, mate!
    Thanks, @DarthDimi. I appreciate the positive words.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I hate Fungus Gnats they breed at an alarming rate. I am a novice house plant propagator and learning a lot of pitfalls fast.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I hate Fungus Gnats they breed at an alarming rate. I am a novice house plant propagator and learning a lot of pitfalls fast.
    How about getting a couple of carnivorous plants?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    QBranch wrote: »
    How about getting a couple of carnivorous plants?

Good idea I wonder if Safin could recommend me any. I sprayed my plants with a garlic spray it seems to be working.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 15,818
    Well. I've taken bit of a chance and hereby tendered my resignation from my job.

crvcas-med1.jpg

I have a second interview lined up already for another position that looks promising.
    A couple other distinct possibilities as well. I just don't have another job in the bag.
    That's why it's a gamble I'm taking.
    The interview is scheduled during my normal work hours, so I would have needed to call out anyway. Being a second interview I have a stronger chance of being offered the position.

The odds favor standing pat. if you play the odds....................

4b6b7217-79f1-46bf-9bb4-77cd73bcf429_screenshot.jpg

Wish me luck!
    @ToTheRight Wishing you all the best. I desperately want something more career oriented and am trying to get there, but I can’t afford to quit without something lined up myself, which I did for my last two jobs. It was nice to have that luxury at the time. Anyhow, I know I, and I’m sure many others here, know how much jobs can suck sometimes, so I hope you finally find the right one ;)
    Best of luck @ToTheRight, hope all goes well! Am lucky that the job I am in for the past 20 years or so, I have loved, with fantastic colleagues, most of whom are now gone, and replaced by Know-it-all- but-no-nothing youngsters, and more Managers than we need, and who are trying to reinvent the wheel. Its my intention to retire in 3 years, but things are looking grave in the economy, so now I'm not so sure!
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Best of luck to both of you.

There are signs of a big decision for me on the horizon. My girlfriend might possibly be offered a job in a city 250km away from where we currently live, soon. This would be a big chance for her to continue the career in academia she has persued for the last 5 or so years. So, do we go back to long-distance, does she only work there a few days a month and works the rest from our current home or do we completely relocate to this other city, which would mean me quitting my job, which is a very good working situation, but I am slowly getting burned out with lately?
    For now, we still have to wait and see whether she actually gets and offer and what the terms are, but we're already discussing the possible ramifications and I have to make my mind up, what I actually want out of the situation.