Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    In fairness to our friend here, given his clarification, I think he's just frustrated that it's hard to find threads sometimes (as Dimi said, if they're cryptically named, it can be near impossible), and so new ones are created, and then closed and directed to the existing thread, rather than the issue being that original threads are being closed.

Why it's upsetting I'm not too sure.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I think it's because @stag has, by my count, had four threads closed recently. I get his frustration at this, especially after carefully checking that he wasn't creating a duplicate thread before he posted his topic. It used to happen to me too a bit at the start but I soon got used to how things worked here. I know that the mods have to keep order and keep the forum tidy so I don't blame them for closing threads. I get that it can be frustrating for the member who has what they thought was an original thread closed down but it's something that has happened to every member who posts threads here.

It's not an issue for me now as I only post a couple or sometimes three threads a year as I've already used up a large amount of my good thread ideas. I still have some more theeads to post of course though as they're often rather obscure literary Bond topics only really of interest to a select few here they're very unlikely to have been covered before. I find that the more specific and the less general a thread is the less likely it is to be closed down as a duplicate.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,551
    In fairness to our friend here, given his clarification, I think he's just frustrated that it's hard to find threads sometimes (as Dimi said, if they're cryptically named, it can be near impossible), and so new ones are created, and then closed and directed to the existing thread, rather than the issue being that original threads are being closed.

Why it's upsetting I'm not too sure.

I get that. And I try to be fair, always. I think we often turn a blind eye to new threads; many more are opened than are closed, and several of those are not exactly original. Yet we let them pass when they seem to get people very enthusiastic.

Problematic threads are ones that have zero potential for anything close to a good discussion. Some members open a thread to merely offer an opinion on Bond film X or Y, and not the kind that invites much response. Opinions can be dropped in existing threads, surely. Also, we have a thread for Bond-related questions. Do we really need a new thread for one question, to have it lose all its purpose after one response a.k.a. the answer to the question?

And yes, finding a thread can be hard. I often spend a lot of time navigating the big list to do so. And that's when I notice that we have several threads discussing the Aston Martins, several threads that ask you to rank the Daniel Craig films, or the Bond films post 2000, or Daniel Craig's Bond performances, or the stories of the Daniel Craig films, ... One thread, "film rankings in the Daniel Craig era" can cover it all, and we'd have a shorter list.

But somehow we can't seem to get the message through. Start fewer threads, recycle older threads, and you'd have to spend less time finding a thread. We are never opposed to a new thread. Just make sure it's something we don't yet have. Otherwise, you're just clogging the pipes.

Still, when we close a thread and link to another one, we're not giving members the finger or mocking them. We're just doing our job, to the benefit of all. Nothing personal.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Absolutely, and I think some threads are closed as well if they’re too specific and don’t seem like they’ll generate a lot of discussion, but I could be wrong there.

I’ve only created four threads, and they’ve “closed” themselves organically through non-participation! :))

EDIT: Except my board game thread, which I'm being careful to only update every once in awhile so it's not constantly pushed to the top of the boards.
    Absolutely, and I think some threads are closed as well if they’re too specific and don’t seem like they’ll generate a lot of discussion, but I could be wrong there.

I’ve only created four threads, and they’ve “closed” themselves organically through non-participation! :))

EDIT: Except my board game thread, which I'm being careful to only update every once in awhile so it's not constantly pushed to the top of the boards.

Threads that probably won't generate a lot of discussion are usually still given a chance. We can be proven wrong too. But in most cases, they sink to the bottom of the list and die a slow and lonely death. Too many scary corpses down there, so we rarely venture there to clean things up. It's our forum version of Purgatory.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Tracy wrote: »
    if youre a goat or a beetle then you CAN eat an autograph.....they love to eat paper

Moths and slugs too it seems. I speak from experience.

First time I've ever seen an internet savvy slug, or moth.
    if youre a goat or a beetle then you CAN eat an autograph.....they love to eat paper

I was referring rather to their ability to destroy paper and books. I've had some issues with both over the years. My comment was in response to @Tracy talking about goats and beetles eating paper.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited September 2022 Posts: 8,696
    mattjoes wrote: »
    But I'm dropping this thread creation business, and I'm off to live in Jamaica in happy, thread-free semi-retirement. I'll be discussing the details of my retirement in a new thread I'm going to call-- no, wait, I'm falling back on old habits.
    Hey @mattjoes, that sounds great. I've been retired (for all it's worth) since the beginning of 2022, and am enjoying it immensely (in spite of doing the housework...at least most of it).

I've given up most of travelling, really, but if you have a guest room in Jamaica, be sure to let me know. :-)
    Have you actually retired? If so, congratulations.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Have you actually retired? If so, congratulations.

If this is meant to be an answer to my post: YES, I have actually retired from being a lawyer since end of last year, and have been enjoying it immensely so far. Don't really know what my wife, who still has a few years to go in her job, thinks about it (except that she would also like to quit)...but for all that it's worth, I've called it quits.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    I'm an archaeologist and it's my ideal job, but damn I'd like to retire!
    That’s extremely cool.
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 1,640
    i was referring to the rapper that was killed in south central L.A now , he never shouldve posted on insta , showing off his bling as the robber mightve tracked him down. He shouldnt have gone to so central in the first place.....same with the 2 boys killed in Lincoln Heights , afaik thats a bad place too to hang
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Venutius wrote: »

Is it the years or the mileage?
    edited September 2022 Posts: 23,551
    I think it's because @stag has, by my count, had four threads closed recently. I get his frustration at this, especially after carefully checking that he wasn't creating a duplicate thread before he posted his topic. It used to happen to me too a bit at the start but I soon got used to how things worked here. I know that the mods have to keep order and keep the forum tidy so I don't blame them for closing threads. I get that it can be frustrating for the member who has what they thought was an original thread closed down but it's something that has happened to every member who posts threads here.

It's not an issue for me now as I only post a couple or sometimes three threads a year as I've already used up a large amount of my good thread ideas. I still have some more theeads to post of course though as they're often rather obscure literary Bond topics only really of interest to a select few here they're very unlikely to have been covered before. I find that the more specific and the less general a thread is the less likely it is to be closed down as a duplicate.

Actually, that is not entirely true. The more general a thread, the more ground it can cover, and the more activity it generally invites. The "controversial opinions about Bond movies" thread is a good example of that. But, by the same token, the more general a thread, the higher the risk of being a duplicate one since so many general, say Bond-related threads are active already. For example, at this point, it is obvious that a "let's discuss OHMSS" thread adds nothing new to the catalogue.

The more specific a thread, the bigger the chance that it's not going to produce much discussion. Fewer members seem interested in discussing, say, the hotel receptionist from TSWLM than in discussing all the Bond girls from the Roger Moore era. However, it's certainly correct to assume that some very specific threads can be incredibly original and therefore become the hottest place in town for a long time.

So the truth is probably in the middle. Still, we shall continue to do what we can to separate original threads from duplicate ones, regardless of who opened the thread. We regret the anger our actions sometimes invite.

Most members are cool with it, and to them, we say thank you. But some can be, frankly, very childish about it. They open a new thread, we close it and provide a link to an existing thread where they can take the discussion instead, and they never go there! That tells us something. Either they nurture a childish grudge over something so banal like having a thread locked, or they were never truly interested in discussions with other members in the first place. Same for those who open a thread with a question, and then never return to that thread once. It really does seem that to some, giving birth to a thread means more than having good debates or good discussions. We regret the angry PM's these folks often hurl our way when we close one of their many duplicate threads. We never mean insult.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    But I'm dropping this thread creation business, and I'm off to live in Jamaica in happy, thread-free semi-retirement. I'll be discussing the details of my retirement in a new thread I'm going to call-- no, wait, I'm falling back on old habits.
    Hey @mattjoes, that sounds great. I've been retired (for all it's worth) since the beginning of 2022, and am enjoying it immensely (in spite of doing the housework...at least most of it).

I've given up most of travelling, really, but if you have a guest room in Jamaica, be sure to let me know. :-)
    Unfortunately, my Jamaica retirement is but a dream, but if it becomes true someday, I'll let you know!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I was referring rather to their ability to destroy paper and books. I've had some issues with both over the years. My comment was in response to @Tracy talking about goats and beetles eating paper.

I'm sorry @Dragonpol, but I'll firmly stick to my own reality, and I liked my interpretation better. If it gives any solace, I'll be happy to be an ant in your world.

Your true name is Gumbolt, son of Gumbolt perhaps? Congrats on the retirement!
    edited September 2022 Posts: 17,809

I'm sorry @Dragonpol, but I'll firmly stick to my own reality, and I liked my interpretation better. If it gives any solace, I'll be happy to be an ant in your world.

Of course you can be an ant in my world, @CommanderRoss, just as long as you don't bite! I had a terrible run in with a swarm of flying ants once. You can live in the rockery at Schloss Drache. My reality, where slugs and moths eat books, is pretty kooky too, mind. :)
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    And dogs eating homework.
    QBranch wrote: »
    And dogs eating homework.

One of the classic excuses along with the runaway horse.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Venutius wrote: »

Is it the years or the mileage?
    I think it was the furloughs, tbh! I hadn't even had a holiday in 12 years at that point, so it was quite a contrast. Back in the old routine again now - but now I know what I've been missing, so...
    Here's one I experienced today : I wanted to buy a song from iTunes. The rest of the songs I had bought that day, I experienced no problems or complications of any sort, but that one :

1) iTunes told me that I would need my purchase verified by my bank. All right, not unusual, but still...

2) iTunes tells me I'm not authorized to play that song, that I had just bought, on my computer, and that I would have to authorize said computer to play that song. I try quite a few times and still get the same message. So, I decide to by it on Amazon instead. Which leads me to...

3) Everything is alright, I buy the song, download it, listen to it. Except that I intended to put that song on a playlist to put on my iPod, and I can't. Are things getting too complicated for me ? I hope not.

Well, I will try again tomorrow. One way or another, that song is going to go on my iPod.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Here's one I experienced today : I wanted to buy a song from iTunes. The rest of the songs I had bought that day, I experienced no problems or complications of any sort, but that one :

1) iTunes told me that I would need my purchase verified by my bank. All right, not unusual, but still...

2) iTunes tells me I'm not authorized to play that song, that I had just bought, on my computer, and that I would have to authorize said computer to play that song. I try quite a few times and still get the same message. So, I decide to by it on Amazon instead. Which leads me to...

3) Everything is alright, I buy the song, download it, listen to it. Except that I intended to put that song on a playlist to put on my iPod, and I can't. Are things getting too complicated for me ? I hope not.

Well, I will try again tomorrow. One way or another, that song is going to go on my iPod.

It had better be a great song!
    edited September 2022 Posts: 7,526
    On Spotify, the Goldfinger theme on my 007 playlist now will only play some other completely random song... X(
    Does this ever happen to anyone else?

EDIT: I've had that authorization problem before ^^^ extremely annoying, unfortunately I can't remember how I fixed it... something buried in settings I think.
    Unfortunately, my Jamaica retirement is but a dream, but if it becomes true someday, I'll let you know!
    Thank you, I'm looking forward to it, since my wife and I have mostly cancelled other travels for the time being. Our last somewhat "major" trips were to Martinique (2006/07) and Tenerife (2009). OK, and Iceland (2017), but that's a different category and motivation.
    Thank you, I'm loloking forward to it, since my wife and I have mostly cancelled other travels for the time being. Our last somewhat "major" trips were to Martnique (2006/07) and Tenerife (2009). OK, and Iceland (2017), but that's a different category and motivation.

I think going to an ice palace can be quite interesting. Did you have an Aston Martin Vanish as well?
    Thank you, I'm loloking forward to it, since my wife and I have mostly cancelled other travels for the time being. Our last somewhat "major" trips were to Martnique (2006/07) and Tenerife (2009). OK, and Iceland (2017), but that's a different category and motivation.

I think going to an ice palace can be quite interesting. Did you have an Aston Martin Vanish as well?

I've got mine parked outside my office right now. Let me know if anyone wants a pic for proof.

I've got mine parked outside my office right now. Let me know if anyone wants a pic for proof.

I'm glad I don't have one myself, considering how much time I spend today finding my very visible car in the carpark....
    I can't connect my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard to my Microsoft Surface Pro. I hate bluetooth.
    I can't connect my Microsoft Wireless Keyboard to my Microsoft Surface Pro. I hate bluetooth.

Bluetooth sucks. Couldn't get my wireless headset to connect. Printers are the worst!