Why ??!!...The whinging,moaning,complaining,ranting,letting off steam thread !!

Comments

• SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,392
    I think I should call you Sir @DarthDimi
    Yes, sir?

Are you teaching in Elementary? High School? Or College?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    MI6HQ wrote: »
    Some student of my school thought it funny today to throw several slices of bread with jam against an almost unreachable window inside the school building. The cleaning crew will have a hard time getting the stains off the glass given its height. I just don't get it. Whoever did this is neither a rebel nor a tough guy nor someone earning "street cred". It's someone deliberately throwing dirt against a window to give others a lot of work. It's a coward.

@DarthDimi you're a teacher?

Yes, I am. I have the most noble profession of all. 😉

Dimi is the Steven Seagal of Teachers. They call him in to teach the teachers.

Minus the ponytail.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Some student of my school thought it funny today to throw several slices of bread with jam against an almost unreachable window inside the school building. The cleaning crew will have a hard time getting the stains off the glass given its height. I just don't get it. Whoever did this is neither a rebel nor a tough guy nor someone earning "street cred". It's someone deliberately throwing dirt against a window to give others a lot of work. It's a coward.

Minus the ponytail.

And with a better run. I have seen you in that Freddy Kreuger outfit of yours, chasing after people.
    You gave an accurate description of a day at work.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I would expect nothing less of you, good sir.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada

Dimi is the Steven Seagal of Teachers.

What a terrible thing to say about a friend. ;)
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 784
    He is the Pierce Brosnan of teachers.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    You gave an accurate description of a day at work.

We must be in the same line of work then. ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Seagal isn t that close a friend of his.
    I think I should call you Sir @DarthDimi
    Yes, sir?

Are you teaching in Elementary? High School? Or College?

I teach the 16 to 18 high schooler crowd, @MI6HQ. It's a fascinating job. 😉

Not since he fled to Russia. 😄

Well done @MajorDSmythe =)) =))

Then he blows everything up and gives an uplifting 10 minute speech about it.

:))
    @mattjoes
    The best kind of ecoheroism is the kind that thinks it wise to blow up oil reserves so we can't burn them.

^ Directed by Steven Seagal, starring Johnny C and Sir Michael Cane. 😄
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    mattjoes wrote: »

Well done @MajorDSmythe =)) =))

Then he blows everything up and gives an uplifting 10 minute speech about it.

There's nothing cooler on the planet than a teacher blowing up stuff.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 2022 Posts: 40,500
    @mattjoes
    The best kind of ecoheroism is the kind that thinks it wise to blow up oil reserves so we can't burn them.

^ Directed by Steven Seagal, starring Johnny C and Sir Michael Cane. 😄

An ecological disaster film whose lead hero's name is 'Forrest.' That screenwriter came in clutch with his IQ of 550.
  • edited October 2022 Posts: 15,840
    CRAP!!!! EFFING A!!!!!!!!!

My DVD of the 1977 BBC Louis Jourdan COUNT DRACULA no longer plays and freezes up at the menu. It's OOP and very expensive to replace.

14w3jb.jpg
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    It is the fate of DVDs to break. :((

I've got a rare Liquid Tension Experiment concert DVD I'd hate to lose.
    @mattjoes
    Seagal made an Executive Decision about the problem. Next:

Seagal: "So the ozone layer is dying? Quick, let's get it to a safe place!"
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited October 2022 Posts: 3,392
    [DELETED]
    [DELETED]

Like Steven Seagal's career?
    [DELETED]

Like Steven Seagal's career?

Like Steven Seagal's enemies.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

My DVD of the 1977 BBC Louis Jourdan COUNT DRACULA no longer plays and freezes up at the menu. It's OOP and very expensive to replace.

14w3jb.jpg

A couple of ideas, @ToTheRight:

- In my experience, sometimes, when a DVD player fails to read a disc, you can still make a backup of it on a computer. For backing up my DVDs, I use an old, free software named DVD Shrink (intended for compressing a DVD to fit into a DVD-5, but that can be disabled). I'm sure there are more recent alternatives, though.

- Furthermore, perhaps only the sectors of the disc that contain the menu data (menu images, background music) are damaged or dirty. If so, maybe you can still recover the movie itself, using a DVD backup computer program and choosing to backup only the movie data.

- Also, cleaning the disc might help. I used to a buy a cleaning product for that, but I understand water on a cloth is enough. Cleaning from center to edge, not in circles.

- I'm in process of backing up my entire DVD collection before it starts failing on me (in fact, my SE DVD of AVTAK gave me a hard time on my last watch; luckily I had already made a backup). If you have the time and means to back up your DVDs, you should consider doing it.
    Anyone having trouble buying Twitter stock today? Lol
    mattjoes wrote: »

14w3jb.jpg

A couple of ideas, @ToTheRight:

- In my experience, sometimes, when a DVD player fails to read a disc, you can still make a backup of it on a computer. For backing up my DVDs, I use an old, free software named DVD Shrink (intended for compressing a DVD to fit into a DVD-5, but that can be disabled). I'm sure there are more recent alternatives, though.

- Furthermore, perhaps only the sectors of the disc that contain the menu data (menu images, background music) are damaged or dirty. If so, maybe you can still recover the movie itself, using a DVD backup computer program and choosing to backup only the movie data.

- Also, cleaning the disc might help. I used to a buy a cleaning product for that, but I understand water on a cloth is enough. Cleaning from center to edge, not in circles.

- I'm in process of backing up my entire DVD collection before it starts failing on me (in fact, my SE DVD of AVTAK gave me a hard time on my last watch; luckily I had already made a backup). If you have the time and means to back up your DVDs, you should consider doing it.

Thanks. Those are good ideas.
    edited October 2022 Posts: 7,526
    There probably aren't too many of us around here, but I used to play Magic: The Gathering quite a lot. Fun, well designed game, if a little expensive with all the booster backs and random packs of cards you buy to build your decks and collections. When I played, I think we're talking $5 for a pack of 15 cards, not unreasonable, but it certainly adds up.

I got out of the game quite awhile ago just because I moved onto other things and didn't want to spend the money on random booster packs and stuff (sold my entire collection for $800, not terrible, but certainly not the original investment. Half of that $800 was for the value of a single card). But I really enjoyed it so I've been semi-keeping up with what they've been doing.

Recently I thought it would be kind of fun to get a couple of decks and play with a friend, generally live out the nostalgia of enjoying the game in my past. I was very sad to learn that there is a product they will sell you now, which is a booster pack of 15 cards that have some aesthetic benefits.

$100. For 15 cards.

Of course, it's possible to just not buy this pack (there are no unique cards, just "cooler" looking cards), but it still bothers me that this product effectively creates first and second class Magic players.

And then today there is news of their 30th anniversary, and of course, new products to go along with it. The one I was reading about was this:

A box of four booster packs. 15 cards each = 60 cards. These cards all have unique backs, making them non-play legal, strictly collectors items. These cards are also all reprints of older cards from Magic's illustrious past.

$1,000. A thousand dollars, guys, for 60 cards.

Again, it's of course possible to play Magic without even looking at these insulting products. But this company needs a f***ing reality check. It's a great game and I'm sure a lot of work goes into designing the cards and the rules, but they're pieces of cardboard. $1,000 for 60 cards you can't even play with? A thousand dollars?

F*** this company. I'm glad I haven't bought a single thing from them in probably a decade.

EDIT: I'd love to get a good printer and create a "bootleg Magic league" where you come in, give me a decklist you've written up with cards that are tournament legal, and I just print them for you for free and we play.

14w3jb.jpg

You can find it on YouTube I think.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote: »

14w3jb.jpg

There's also a Facebook group on this BBC TV production. I'm a member though I've still to see the production itself. The best intentions and all that! :)
    Ludovico wrote: »

14w3jb.jpg

It is on YouTube! Haha! Didn't think of that. :D
    I may get an all region Blu-ray player and just order a copy online from the UK at some point. It is a solid adaptation.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I had never heard of this particular adaptation and just out of curiosity looked into it on Youtube. I must say the scenes I picked (arbitrarily) were quite intriguing, but the picture quality was atrocious. Considering that the original BBC miniseries was probably filmed on 35-mm stock. Or wasn't it?
    No if memory serves it was a studio based production shot on videotape with some filmed sequences. Standard practice on BBC productions in the seventies I'm afraid.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited October 2022 Posts: 2,935
    Yes, it was the typical mid- to late '70s BBC mix of exterior film and interior video. The difference between the two is starkly obvious, but don't let that put you off. Judi Bowker is the perfect Mina and several of the key set pieces from the book are rendered better here than in any other adaptation. IMO, obvs. Well worth having, despite the occasional am-dram clanger. All these years on and I'd still recommend it over most versions. Maybe all, tbh.