Blade Runner 2049/Blade Runner 2099 Live-Action Sequel Series Discussion

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 @bondjames @MajorDSmythe @DarthDimi @doubleoego @Creasy47 @ClarkDevlin

Great to see Harrison Ford enjoying himself! Watch until the end for some swearing from Harrison.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Funny and interesting.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 19,339
    Its quite funny seeing Ford giving last hurrahs to 3 of his characters from he past : Indiana Jones,Han Solo and Deckard.
    Now we only need one more Jack Ryan film with Ford.
    SharkBait wrote: »

I was thinking that...it would also complete a Ford/Ryan trilogy,but I cant see it.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Really enjoyed that. I'd love to see a final Jack Ryan film with Ford as well. Get Anne Archer and Thora Birch back too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    barryt007 wrote: »
    SharkBait wrote: »

I was thinking that...it would also complete a Ford/Ryan trilogy,but I cant see it.

Harrison Ford returns as Jack Ryan in...

Air-Forced to Do a Trilogy
    I will try to see this at the theater for sure. I have been very impressed with the footage so far.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,347
    Harrison would no doubt request a death clause in any future sequels to his films
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Harrison would no doubt request a death clause in any future sequels to his films

I think Deckard is a goner, but I don't think he can have Indiana Jones killed so easily. The character canonically lives to a very late, late age, I believe into his 90s, so a lot of ret-conning would need to be done.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,347
    Perfect way for Indy to go is off the edge of a cliff doing something heroic then fade out, being serious I agree Indy won't be killed off though Indy will inevitably get a reboot unfortunately.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I am disappointed to find that Johan Johansson is off the film as its composer. I have faith in Zimmer but while he can do a lot, he can't make Johansson's Icelandic magic happen. And I was rather looking forward to those sounds as a follow-up of sorts to Vangelis.
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,547
    I've got tickets for the 10/4 premiere. @DaltonCraig007 you still in?
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2017 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi I am, yes! 4th October for me too!
    I'm probably going to
    - watch the film
    - drive home
    - go to sleep
    because I'll have to get up pretty early the next morning. But we'll get enough chances to talk about the film I'm sure. :)

Right now, I'm still enjoying the vibes I brought home with me from seeing Kingsman. :D
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I am going to watch blade runner for the first time before I watch the new one, which version is the definitive one?
    Pick the Final Cut. It's the one to watch.
    I am going to watch blade runner for the first time before I watch the new one, which version is the definitive one?

I've been in your place recently, @JamesBondKenya, and no advice really helps. You just have to pick one version and jump in. To make it easier, I think you should pick just one of two for your first watch, either the original theatrical cut with the narration if you want to have more context to what you're seeing, or the final cut which is Ridley's Scott's current vision for the film that doesn't hold your hand as far as context goes. What you pick is whatever you think you'd want out of the film and how you prefer to watch it.

To give you a personal perspective, I watched the final cut first and felt that it was a very cold and distant film from a character and plot standpoint, where much was hidden from the viewer either purposefully or by poor editing and storytelling (it differs depending on instances for me). I've been told that the theatrical gives you more of an idea of what is going on with the characters as opposed to the final cut, which leaves much up to you in the end and is perhaps more European styled as opposed to American in that way.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 4,619
    I'm a huge Blade Runner fan, have watched the movie about a dozen times. Never seen the original theatrical cut, I simply don't care about it. The definitive version is 100% the Final Cut.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I've only seen the Final Cut and highly recommend it.

Hope you like it @JamesBondKenya.
    The theatrical cut, of course.
    One thing we can always count on is Thunderfinger pulling a non-conformist move in every thread. ;-)

So, Ford's terrible voice-over and lesser visuals?
    The unicorn didn t add much, and Ford s narration is great.
    Ford's narration is detrimental to the entire experience. The 'tears in the rain' monologue works so well when it neatly flows into a quiet moment with only Vangelis' music playing softly in the background. In the theatrical cut, however, that moment is completely destroyed by Ford's deliberately bland, "I don't know why he saved my life; maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before." He speaks the lines as if someone is holding a shotgun to his head. It's simply painful to sit through that!
    Good people have a choice, then.
    @DarthDimi 10 days until BR2049! :D
    I have two tickets staring at me right now. :D
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2017 Posts: 17,691
    The unicorn didn t add much, and Ford s narration is great.

The unicorn added nothing except to make me think of "Legend," and the narration is perfectly delivered in that flat 40's-50's film noir way.
    And @DarthDimi you partial-quoted the line, and that makes it sound trite. "I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life... anybody's life... my life. All he'd wanted was the same answers the rest of us want. Where do I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die."
    ;)
    @chrisisall
    But he speaks the lines in such a way it feels like a eulogy delivered with boredom and absolutely no desire to honour the deceased one.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @chrisisall
    But he speaks the lines in such a way it feels like a eulogy delivered with boredom and absolutely no desire to honour the deceased one.

Yes, and it's perfect!
    Remember Lupe from LTK here. Her line delivery was also perfect. Sometimes disinterest or even inability to act works FOR the character! ;)