Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited December 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Wolfenstein (2009)

wf1.jpg

This game was made around a time when Activision lost its glamour for me, especially with its capitalization over the abysmal gameplay of the Call of Duty franchise, thus replicating every first-person shooter video game they made with the image and mechanics of the CoD garbage. After years of playing it first (and the only time), I had little to no recollection of the game apart from it being rather weird, so I decided to give it a go, again, and see if it's a better game than I remember.

...And it bloody well wasn't!

After playing the game for like 45 minutes, I lost interest and have come to the conclusion this was mess of a product that doesn't know what it wants. Being a veteran player of Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the only title in the franchise that I truly love), this sequel was a major letdown, hence my justification of hating it back when it came out. The "Black Sun" angle they were willing to concentrate is alright and all, but it has been completely narrated using all the wrong purposes and all the wrong imaginations. Fighting major insects from another dimension? Well... This isn't Resident Evil, this is Wolfenstein. You fight the undead, not overgrown giant bugs referred to as aliens from another planet. When fighting the supernatural in a Wolfenstein game, you're supposed to be haunted to near death, not just fight it in an action movie manner. You're supposed to be in a horror story just armed with guns to have a fair fight. Not ordinarily star in an action-packed adventure slaughtering any non-human paranormal beings.

The gameplay in itself is boring. Could the player character get any slower of a runner? My grandmother runs faster with her cane than he would! Then again... it's one of the reasons for why I hate Activision's idea of "realism" in video games. The lesser said about the two-weapon limit, the better, as well as the aim-down-sights technique. Additionally, I can't say I'm very keen with this "open world environment" as I'd rather the game would take me automatically from a level to another. This incarnation of BJ Blazkowicz has got to be the most boring iteration of the character with no personality whatsoever. He's too angry, too hot-headed and sometimes too smug. It's very inconsistent. Can't say I'm a fan of his "generic video game hero" look, either.

In a way, I'm glad Activision lost the license to Bethesda Softworks. Even though I'm not a big fan of The New Colossus (due to its differentiation from the Wolfenstein we know, and turning it into a full action-packed adaptation of 1984), I'd say they are doing a fine job with the franchise rather than producing yet another CoD: Zombies that Activision seems to love doing. Also, they're not afraid of demonizing the Nazis which is a plus point for me, unlike Activision who shied away from featuring Swastikas and Nazi flags to steer clear from "offending" some Neo-Nazi idiots in their World War II CoD game. The late Raven Software's Wolfenstein, unfortunately, is at the bottom of my ranking in the series.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Tomb Raider Underworld got it free on Xbox Live, good game worth another play through.

Downloading Battlefront 2 Deluxe Edition buckled as it's almost half price in the sale, looking forward to seeing this on my Xbox One X
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Player Unknown Battlegrounds Good fun
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes. Another great LEGO game, and one that is a great leap forward from the previous Batman game. Loved playing this, have done the story mode, now need to explore Gotham City and some freeplay to get Gold Bricks, Red Bricks and MiniKits!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 40,474

On your Xbox One, I take it? This game is huge apparently and sounds like a lot of fun, hopefully it comes to PS4 some day but who knows.

As for me lately, as usual:

Overwatch

The only online shooter I consistently play anymore. The Holiday Event was still ongoing yesterday so tried to sink a bunch of time into it to unlock as much as I could before the end. Played a lot of Mystery Heroes (which has forced me to play other characters I typically don't mess with, leading to fun results), and I ended the night with a DLC trophy. Incredibly proud to have 79% of the trophies without boosting a single one.

Hitman

Amazing fun as always, I lose so many hours playing this and tuning out to it. I've recently returned to Normal Difficulty so I can complete as many challenges and escalations in each location as I can, just to do it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, I've watched a lot of Player Unknown gameplay and it's very entertaining, so I can't imagine what it's like to play.

Basically you're dropped into a big map by plane either solo or with a small team, and you have to scour for gear and guns to upgrade your abilities to survive all while avoiding those who are coming to kill you. The map is surrounded by a giant circle that grows smaller over the course of the game and you must keep in it or be killed if you get outside it too long. Naturally, this makes it so that the end of each game, with a map full of around 70 to 90 people at the start, boils down to 20 or 30 fighting in one small area to be the last one standing. It can get pretty nuts.

I hope it comes to PS4 as well. It'd be fun to hop on with you and attempt to survive the other players. Can't tell if it'd go really good, or really bad!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Black Mirror
    I received my first PS4 Platinum trophy, from this game, yesterday. It wasn't a hard Platinum, it could be done all in one playthrough, but early on, the player is given a choice to make, depending on the choice, you might get the trophy. I made the wrong choice, so I didn't get the trophy. I completed the game, then went for my second playthrough, skipping through cutscenes and dialogue, only took me about 10 minutes to get to that point, and make the other choice.
    @Creasy47, I've watched a lot of Player Unknown gameplay and it's very entertaining, so I can't imagine what it's like to play.

Basically you're dropped into a big map by plane either solo or with a small team, and you have to scour for gear and guns to upgrade your abilities to survive all while avoiding those who are coming to kill you. The map is surrounded by a giant circle that grows smaller over the course of the game and you must keep in it or be killed if you get outside it too long. Naturally, this makes it so that the end of each game, with a map full of around 70 to 90 people at the start, boils down to 20 or 30 fighting in one small area to be the last one standing. It can get pretty nuts.

I hope it comes to PS4 as well. It'd be fun to hop on with you and attempt to survive the other players. Can't tell if it'd go really good, or really bad!

Sounds like a whole lot of fun! Past that, the only thing making or breaking it for me would be the servers and the connection overall: may be a ton of fun if it's not a trash connection.
    Just bought Horizon Zero Dawn a couple of hours ago. Haven't played it yet. Any good?
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Just bought Horizon Zero Dawn a couple of hours ago. Haven't played it yet. Any good?

I quite enjoyed it. I was incredibly engrossed in the story, even if it was incredibly predictable after a while. Any bugs that might've hampered my enjoyment at launch have likely been fixed by now, and I believe they've added some DLC/free new content to the game, as well.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Sounds like a whole lot of fun! Past that, the only thing making or breaking it for me would be the servers and the connection overall: may be a ton of fun if it's not a trash connection.
    @Creasy47, lag is what I worry about too. It would be ridiculous to be shot by someone who you only see skipping in and out of the map from their connection. I can't speak on how stable the server connection is, as I haven't had any hands on experience myself. But until recently Battlegrounds was a prototype game without a genuine release, sort of in the testing stages, so the hopes are by the time it got to PS4 it'd be more optimized (though I've heard the Xbox release hasn't lit the world on fire, quality wise). That's why there were complaints about it being nominated for Game of the Year awards, simply because it technically didn't have a true release beyond that testing period.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I've heard very bad things about the frame rate of PUBG on Xbox, especially on the base model Xbox One. People have had numbers as low as 13 fps. These are sub N64 frame rates we're talking about here, with a modern game. I'd love to play the game, it looks fantastic, but I'm holding off until I can get a PC that will run it properly.
    @BMW_with_missiles, yes, I think Digital Foundry did a video with PUG not only comparing the frame rate drops but also the horrid texturing. For a game to not only be on Xbox One, but also their supposedly even better consoles and still have those issues, is inexcusable. Just hard to tell at this stage if that's down to the devs, Microsoft's usual incompetence or a mix of the two.
    Just hard to tell at this stage if that's down to the devs, Microsoft's usual incompetence or a mix of the two.

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 It's probably a mix of the two. I know the game still has a reputation for being poorly optimized even on PC, so that's the dev's fault. I'm sure Microsoft is screwing things up as well though.
    @BMW_with_missiles, from what I've seen of Battlegrounds, let's just say I wouldn't call it a fine example of great gameplay. The wonky movement, the unresponsive looking aiming...well, it just doesn't come off as a very well designed experience. So yes, the devs have a lot of responsibility for that and how it's optimized.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

On your Xbox One, I take it? This game is huge apparently and sounds like a lot of fun, hopefully it comes to PS4 some day but who knows.
    I got the game as part of a deal on Xbox One X purchase, it's a preview edition so minor glitches are expected it will improve, it's one of the Xbox box one X enhanced games so its in 4K HDR. I am still improving though a good tip is to parachute onto a roof, more often than not you can get weapons immediately on a flat roof top, on one occasion I got into a beach buggy and my tactic was run people over lol
    Assassin's Creed ORIGINS and World of Tanks, the former looks great enhanced.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Black Squad.
    @mattjoes, get down to playing Test Drive Unlimited 2. I certainly am!

obeFfR5.png
    AKEQFec.jpg
    EiuL82z.png
    cZC2gHK.png

Of course, I haven't completed this game before, but I know and remembered very well that it resembled the classic Need For Speed games. There's a story campaign but you're basically dealing with the high-life society and participate in gentlemen's sports rather than being a punk in illegal street races (which is basically anything in NFS post Underground). It's set in an open-world Ibiza (quite a large map!) where you can free roam, race and purchase houses, cars, modify your character... Right now, I'm driving Lotus Esprit S3, Roger Moore's Bond car. I've yet to unlock new clothes for the character because I'm going to put him in a suit the moment I get the chance.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    @ClarkDevlin Will do! I watched some videos and it looks pretty sweet.
    I currently find myself in the middle of multiple play-throughs of several games. I'm working my way through the Halo series; started with Reach, almost finished with CE. Literally the only reason I'm playing this series is because I got a 360 for $20 at a thrift store, and I keep finding Halo games at the same store for $4. The games are only okay, but for this cheap I'll keep going.

I also recently purchased Goldeneye: Rogue Agent. My expectations were low. It's actually not terrible.

On top of all that, No One Lives Forever keeps reminding me that I shouldn't be wasting my time on all these inferior shooters when I have this great game on my PC. I'm such a console gamer that I often forget to give my PC games the attention they deserve.
    Cough, NOLF is not an inferior shooter, cough. ;)
    Cough, NOLF is not an inferior shooter, cough. ;)

@ClarkDevlin No that's what I meant! I shouldn't be playing all these other inferior shooters when I have NOLF.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    i bought Test Drive Unlimited 2 at some steam sale a couple month ago.
    I never got far as it's not... the best looking game if you know what i mean (any hi res patches for that @ClarkDevlin ?)

Forza Horizon 3 would probably be a modern, hi res equivalent to the free open world of Test Drive Unlimited 2.
    Still waiting for that one to hit Steam (and not cost ridiculous 130$ with all DLC)
    Not that I know of, @00Agent. It's not that bad looking, either. You just have to enhance its anti-aliasing system as much as you can. It also might make problems entering full screen mode, and there's a solution for that.

I'll be entering my NOLF marathon sometime soon, @BMW_with_missiles. I'm growing rather thirsty for it. :D
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin, you have got me in the mood to replay my holy trinity of spy games.
    Cold Winter is the one you should begin your journey with, @MajorDSmythe. ;)
  • What was the game you two were on about before, that you said was like a Daltonised DAD? Never got around to getting it but it sounded really cool.
    Cold Winter, @thelivingroyale. :)

ps2_cold_winter-110214.jpg
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,894
    @thelivingroyale, it was a PS2 exclusive. If you took Dalton:Bond in LTK, pushed him much further down that route, then dropped him into DAD, and altered the tone to suit Dalton:Bond (if Bond never returned to MI6 after being left to die), Cold Winter would be a pretty good indication of what that could have been like.