Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 12,837
    @thelivingroyale, that's basically what I've heard from the reviews that weren't super critical. That the story was lacking but the gameplay was improved, etc.

It's very hard to do a story in the AC series I've found, as time is constantly jumping around and that can be both confusing and jarring at times because the characters rarely visibly age. Either way, a timeline that plays out over the course of just one game popping in and out of many years of a character's life can often result in some pacing issues where certain sections of their story are sped through while being juxtaposed by parts that are slower to progress. I've heard specific complaints about that with Origins, not only for what is said to be a strange and confusing start, but also for the pacing of the overall story.

I'll probably play the game sometime in the next year to see what it's all about, and that will give me a lot of time to go back to Black Flag and replay that simply because I've missed it. Because it's my favorite, I'll also have it clearly in my mind whenever I then move on to Origins to see what that same team did on the current consoles.

I'm in two minds about it really. I do like the decade spanning stories because they feel like proper epics, like you've gone on a massive journey by the end, but I agree it can feel a bit disjointed. I still remember Ezio in AC 2, not aging for about 20 years then waking up from a coma to find he'd finally hit puberty. I thought AC 3 did that sort of story really well though. For all its faults I thought that game was really well written, I loved how ambitious and epic it all felt.

And I thought the start of Origins was actually really good. There's a very badass cold open which sets up a bit of mystery around the main character and why he's doing what he's doing, but by the end of the tutorial you're up to speed. I was really interested in the story at first, it's a revenge story again but they did enough to make it different and interesting still. It just didn't pay off in a very satisfying way. It's called Origins but the actual forming of the Assassin's felt so rushed. And the villains I'm guessing were the Templars pre Crusades but they weren't really developed enough to make that clear, their motives weren't fleshed out enough.

I didn't hate the story in Origins because it did start off well and had some cool ideas. It was just towards the end that they botched it. It's not up there with Ezio's story, or Freedom Cry, Black Flag or Rogue, but it's a lot better written than Unity for example. I'd probably put it around the same level as Syndicate story wise, or maybe a notch above it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @thelivingroyalem with the momentum of Origins I'm interested to see where Ubi go next, and I hope that it leads to a Japanese Creed game. Following off of Origins, where the character is essentially a sheriff and protector of his area, a Japan set game could focus on a samurai who is a military enforcer brought into contact with a Templar influence busting its way into Asia, continuing to span its power via the royal family he's serving. It'd be so cool to see an Asian protagonist and to see what Ubi's great environmental designers could do to bring such a setting alive with its landmarks and architecture. It would stand to be one of the most unique locations they could bring to us.

These two concept pieces are from Ubi artists that have recently been leaked, possibly hinting at what could come in the future:

http://www.thewolfhall.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/john-bigorgne-forest-01-1-783x1024.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/vXEPFTfvSpY/maxresdefault.jpg

These fan creations I've found also display the unique and engrossing appeal of an Asian set Creed title:

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/004/313/758/large/vin-hill-10995909-402116289951872-6328954940662445517-o.jpg?1482329005

https://pre00.deviantart.net/4d32/th/pre/f/2017/139/1/5/assassin_s_creed_japan_concept_art___gion_festival_by_w_e_z-db9p8r3.jpg

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/645/478/large/diego-velasquez-assasin-s-creed-japan-fanart.jpg?1429678917

https://orig00.deviantart.net/8318/f/2013/007/6/b/assassin__the_incident_of_xuanwu_gate_by_chaoyuanxu-d5qpzj2.jpg

https://pre00.deviantart.net/5ae3/th/pre/i/2013/048/8/3/assassin_s_creed__vindication___winter_strike_by_solquiem-d5v9mot.png

https://i.imgur.com/mB9NJ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/4E3LrTL.jpg

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/000/375/330/large/jonathan-dufresne-chinese-scene.jpg?1419742858
  • I know a lot of fans have been clamouring for a Japanese one for some time but personally I can take it or leave it. I'd play it and it'd probably be very good, it just doesn't jump out to me as an immediately exciting/interesting setting.

I'd love to see Medieval England. Used to love the old Jason Connery Robin Hood show on ITV when I was a kid and I think that setting would fit perfectly with the Origins gameplay. They could even tie it into the first one if they wanted. You could start the game as an English crusader in Syria who ends up at Masyaf and is trained by Altair, before travelling back to England to set up an Assassin branch over there. I'd also really like to see a Connor sequel but I've given up hope on that happening (he should've been the protagonist in Unity imo).

I'd love to see their take on the wild west too but I think Red Dead will have scared off anyone else thinking of doing a western.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @thelivingroyale, I think it'll be really important for Ubi to keep momentum going by focusing on locations that are very different from what they've done before. Part of why Origins intrigues me is because it's a setting unlike anything we've seen them do in the main series which has been stuffed with too heavy a focus on North American and European locations. Stepping into Asia for the first time in a big way would be exciting for me, and unique for the series to this point and would also hold to the more ancient history Ubi have been focusing on in the latest game.

Not sure about a medieval England, as I think it'd still smack of some familiarity, but I do like the romantic nature of possible knights in the story, clashes between kings and a touch of Arthurian legend in the feel of it. It's just that Ubi have been teasing Japan constantly for years now and I think that there has to be a fire where that smoke is coming from.
  • An Asian setting would be cool I agree, I'd like to see China done in a full game, it's just the whole Japan/Samurai/Ninja idea that doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, I just think it feels a bit obvious (but then I guess so did the French Revolution and Victorian London, and even Egypt was something people had been waiting a while for). I just keep thinking back to when AC 3 was announced. Out of all the possible settings I don't think anyone had been suggesting the American Revolution. Just didn't fit what we'd come to expect at all. Then they announced it and showed it off with the parkour in the trees, the big battles, etc. It was really out of left field but it was really exciting. I'd like them to take me off guard like that again, the last few settings have felt a bit "oh cool, that makes sense" instead of "I wasn't expecting that at all but holy shit that sounds amazing".
    Just thought I'd let everyone here know that across the PSN, Xbox store and Steam there are short-lasting Game Awards deals on some of the games nominated this year and a few extras at majorly slashed prices, including The Witcher 3, DOOM and GTA V. The best deal I saw was on PSN, where the Uncharted trilogy is being sold for just $8! For those of us who haven't played those games yet, that's a mind-blowing steal for some of the greatest games to come out of the medium.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Raid: WW2 - Reviews were cold toward Raid: WW2, but i'm having a blast with it. There's hardly any story, and the gameplay isn't the least bit sophisticated, but it's decent enough for mindless entertainment.

Uncharted 4: A Thieves End - The other end of the spectrum from Raid:WW2. As per a suggestion from @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I have not been playing this nose to the grindstone, but a little here, and a little there. Hadn't played it for a few days, so I played a little earlier. I played from recovering the Jeep with Elena, to reaching New Devon. Both the action, and the quieter moments that occur between action sequences, haven't lost their magic. I will miss this series, and the character within it.
    @MajorDSmythe, you've gotten far. Playing those final chapters was a real experience for me (especially emotionally), and I really love how, as the game comes to an end, the setting recalls the first Uncharted game as our heroes fight to survive on the island. It's very much about the snake eating its own tail, going full circle.

You've still got some surprises ahead, and I look forward to your final reactions.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Just thought I'd let everyone here know that across the PSN, Xbox store and Steam there are short-lasting Game Awards deals on some of the games nominated this year and a few extras at majorly slashed prices, including The Witcher 3, DOOM and GTA V. The best deal I saw was on PSN, where the Uncharted trilogy is being sold for just $8! For those of us who haven't played those games yet, that's a mind-blowing steal for some of the greatest games to come out of the medium.

*whistles* $8 for three remastered Uncharted titles? Goodness. I never got around to picking it up, but I totally would if I didn't have a bit of a backlog/also wasn't hurting for storage space on my console.
    I'm with you on the storage space issue, @Creasy47. I get so attached to certain games that I never delete the application file, and that number of certain games has risen to a high value. Don't know what must go next.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I was surprised about how few games I was able to fit onto my PS4, which is why I bought one of those portable hard drives. Now I have more space than I need, and some games (Assassin's Creed: Unity), I have finished, but haven't played since (so I can't see me going for the platinum), so I deleted the application/data. I am juggling a number of games at the moment, with a further handful that I haven't gotten around to starting yet.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    Never a bad time for Christmas videos:

https://i.imgur.com/5AWbF0B.mp4

:))
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Division

My friend and I decided to jump back into this game after not playing it for over a year. I enjoy the game and they have fixed and added quiet a bit since my last play through. Enemies are still bullet sponges but it's still fun. I'll probably do one last play through of the story and then I'll be done with the game until a sequel comes out, if that ever happens.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    the_legend_of_zelda_-_breath_of_the_wild_switch_cover.png

A couple days ago I sold my XBOX One because I never played it and mostly played games on my PS4, plus the PS4 has way better exclusives. In its place I bought a Nintendo Switch. I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the N64 and it's kinda nice being back to the company that turned me into a gamer.
    Anyway, when I picked up the Switch I had to choose either The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or Super Mario Odyssey. I've been itching to play Breath of the Wild since it was announced so I immediately went for it. I think I already have close to about 10 hours playtime. It's a pretty addicting game looking forward to playing the rest.
    I have a question to those of you who have played and beaten the main story and the current DLCs that are out for the game. If I get the two DLCs that are out and play them, are they going to spoil the story for the main game?
    I’ve been playing The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the GameCube. One of my all-time favorite games, and my personal favorite Zelda game. Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Breath of the Wild, and Link to the Past are my other favorite Zeldas.
    Rainbow Six: Siege
    I am quite disappointed. Unless it is my memory failing me, but I remember Rainbow Six being more of a tactical shooter, where stealth was always an option. There is far too much Call Of Duty. Enter room, spray the room with bullets, reload, enter next room, spray the room with bullets, reload, enter next room and so on.

Black Mirror
    No connection to the Charlie Brooker series of the same name, it is actually a reboot of a PC series. While graphically this is no looker, I do like the unsettling atmosphere. There are strong influences from the likes of Poe & Lovecraft. It's a sort of... gothic mystery, the deeper the protagonist looks into the death of his father, the more family secrets are unearthed. A map and more clearly defined objectives would have been nice. I got stuck at one point, and the only way I was able to figure out where to go, was when I remembered a trophy from the trophy list.
    @MajorDSmythe, are you playing the AI-driven single player oriented stuff? Because that's essentially how the campaign was for the earlier titles, too, albeit they were a bit more stealth-driven for sure, especially in the Vegas series. If you're looking for tactical play and utilization of stealth, check out the online (something I believe you aren't a fan of?)

Probably some of the most tense, plan-oriented multiplayer I've had the pleasure of enjoying. Something about only having one life and planning accordingly was refreshing - no CoD-esque tactics to be found there.
    I haven't tried the 5v5 yet. For some reason, I remember Rainbow Six being more stealth.

I prefer singleplayer, but when it comes to multiplayer, it depends on the game. Sniper Elite 4 and Dying Light: The Following had excellent online. On the other hand, Friday The 13th: The Game, has become a nightmare. Yes, I know they had a small team working on the game, but there are only so many times a match can be terminated because the game couldn't connect to the server, making it a matter of luck as to whether you could connect to a match and it go the distance, before it becomes frustrating. And host quitters. Because they were the host of the match, and got killed by Jason, rather than go into spectator mode, they quit the match, ending it for everyone. So that XP gained in the match is now worthless.
    I haven't tried the 5v5 yet. For some reason, I remember Rainbow Six being more stealth.

I prefer singleplayer, but when it comes to multiplayer, it depends on the game. Sniper Elite 4 and Dying Light: The Following had excellent online. On the other hand, Friday The 13th: The Game, has become a nightmare. Yes, I know they had a small team working on the game, but there are only so many times a match can be terminated because the game couldn't connect to the server, making it a matter of luck as to whether you could connect to a match and it go the distance, before it becomes frustrating. And host quitters. Because they were the host of the match, and got killed by Jason, rather than go into spectator mode, they quit the match, ending it for everyone. So that XP gained in the match is now worthless.

I love the F13 series, but I can't let myself cave on these Kickstarter funded games for that reason alone. Plus there's no telling when they may up and shut down the servers due to a lack of funds, employees, etc.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I love the F13 series, but I can't let myself cave on these Kickstarter funded games for that reason alone. Plus there's no telling when they may up and shut down the servers due to a lack of funds, employees, etc.

Exactly. I don't think even Tina dlc could lure me back.

I caught an article that said the final house from Jason Goes To Hell will be a playable map, and Part III's Shelly will be playable eventually. It sounds awesome and for nostalgia sakes I'd love to dive into it, but inconsistent, disconnecting servers mixed with the most grindy trophies puts me off entirely.

I caught an article that said the final house from Jason Goes To Hell will be a playable map, and Part III's Shelly will be playable eventually. It sounds awesome and for nostalgia sakes I'd love to dive into it, but inconsistent, disconnecting servers mixed with the most grindy trophies puts me off entirely.

The grinding trophies themselves, weren't the problem, the problem was not being able to see how you were doing with them. Without a stat screen, how am I supposed to know how many more matches I have to play, until I earn the Final Chapter trophy (play 1000 matches as Jason).

I'm surprised that they are going with the Voorhees house from JGTH. It isn't exactly one of the most loved films in the series.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,474

The grinding trophies themselves, weren't the problem, the problem was not being able to see how you were doing with them. Without a stat screen, how am I supposed to know how many more matches I have to play, until I earn the Final Chapter trophy (play 1000 matches as Jason).

I'm surprised that they are going with the Voorhees house from JGTH. It isn't exactly one of the most loved films in the series.

They'd be slightly less troublesome if given a tracker page for trophies, something hardly aaaany games seem to do, but it's ridiculously appreciated when I do see it implemented.

Trophies in general should be a lot more varied and eclectic after all these years of implementation. I'm equally tired of receiving bronze trophies for ridiculously troubling/time-consuming trophies, then getting silvers (or in some cases, golds) for laughably easy requirements.

The newest Battlefront title is guilty of this - awarding bronzes for some trophies that take a few hours of work, then silvers for something like getting a silent melee kill in the campaign. Ridiculous.
    Most underrated dance of all time:

TF2 is an awesome game.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I have to play this awful game now.
    @MajorDSmythe, it seems Friday the 13th has gotten an update finally to include offline bots, and increases the level cap:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-23977-Friday-the-13th-Update-Introduces-Offline-Bots-and-Increases-the-Level-Cap.html
    @MajorDSmythe, it seems Friday the 13th has gotten an update finally to include offline bots, and increases the level cap:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-23977-Friday-the-13th-Update-Introduces-Offline-Bots-and-Increases-the-Level-Cap.html

It sounds like XP/trophy progress can still be earned in offline. Unfortunately, I wiped the game from my PS4, so I would have to start over from scratch.

It sounds like XP/trophy progress can still be earned in offline. Unfortunately, I wiped the game from my PS4, so I would have to start over from scratch.

I was curious whether or not trophies would be available offline. Are there any that would absolutely require another human player, do you think?

Also, your progress should be saved if you haven't deleted the saved data. Deleting a game off your console only deletes the game files, not the saved data/trophy information, the latter of which can only be deleted if you have 0% trophies on a certain game.

I was curious whether or not trophies would be available offline. Are there any that would absolutely require another human player, do you think?

Also, your progress should be saved if you haven't deleted the saved data. Deleting a game off your console only deletes the game files, not the saved data/trophy information, the latter of which can only be deleted if you have 0% trophies on a certain game.

I got rid of the save data too. As far as I can tell, the trophies that you have already earned, are there indefinitely, and are the only things you can't remove. I have a few PSN friends that are still playing the game, I will drop one a message, and see if they have tried it. It is the server issues they need to sort out, get those wrinkles ironed out so the game will be playable, then start releasing all the extra content.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - this is a quantum leap from the first Batman game. The first (I think) LEGO game with voice actors and not just sounds, (the Joker is excellent), great graphics, funny cut scenes (Robin fanboying over Superman) and good puzzles…and plenty of things to smash up! All told a great entry in the LEGO video game roster.