Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Age of Empires two.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    SharkBait wrote: »
    So what you make of Battlefront 2 @ Creasy47 ?

Multiplayer, the story?

Haven't tried the single player yet but the multiplayer is a laughable joke. Sadly yet another sequel that bungles everything the initial instllment got right. Absolutely astounding, how few developers there are anymore that I wholeheartedly trust.

Come 2018, my gaming purchases will be incredibly few and far between.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That's a shame to hear, @Creasy47, but we have the same view of the industry. In just four years my trusted list of developers are those I can now count on one or two fingers, but even those aren't devs I'd bet my life on anymore. A damn shame.

My only pleasure has been seeing the fallout of EA's loot box screw-up and how other devs/publishing teams are now avoiding using those kinds of systems in their games because of the bad word of mouth attached to the practice. Hopefully this only heats up and we as consumers can keep the temperature up to ward off more anti-consumer ridiculousness. If they game makers want to have a game roll out with full-price AND have the loot box system attached, seeing the shelf price go down at least $10 would go a long way toward being consumer friendly again. But we know most don't care about the consumer if that means less $$$.
    The game is still incredibly P2W. You can outright purchase things that'll otherwise take dozens of hours of playtime to acquire and unlock. If that's what the state of video games are becoming, I want no part of it. I'd say Rockstar and CD Projekt Red are the only two developers I can truly, wholeheartedly trust with my money anymore. Even still, Rockstar's business practices are growing borderline greedy, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Creasy47, RDR 2 will have a major effect on my opinion of Rockstar. From a multiplayer standpoint their corporate owners Take Two have called their consumers "under-monetized" which is never a good sign and the CEO has promised that micro-transactions will be part of every release they do down the line. So for them this isn't going away, unfortunately. GTA Online became unplayable after a certain time and was the perfect model of an anti-consumer practice with loot box/micro-transaction tactics. The game was purposefully designed as a grind fest and anything that was able to be bought from the DLC was made insanely expensive so that one would feel enticed to purchase their Shark Card bullshit. And sadly an overwhelming number shelled out the $$$ for it and those micro-transactions are why GTA V is still making insane money, showing Take Two what they can get away with in the future.

CD Projekt Red won my heart with how they handled The Witcher 3 but with rumblings of a micro-transaction system in Cyberpunk I hope they don't go back on their good graces and become like everyone else. How they make games and treat consumers makes them refreshing (that's depressing to say) and I hope that doesn't change.

NaughtyDog would be last on my list, but like Rockstar they're flirting with danger. Uncharted 4 has what is basically a loot box system and though it's probably the most pro-consumer I've seen in a multiplayer game the tactics are still the same and you wonder how much further TLOU2 multiplayer will take it. Their online component for U4 was one of the biggest missed opportunities I've seen and it's a shame they really let it drop off to such a disappointing state, but I guess the market share of competition is expanding and they didn't feel the need to support something anymore in the age of Overwatch, EA and Activision manning the e-sports scene.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    More people play a Naughty Dog game for the single player. Also, I though CD Projekt Red came out recently and stated Cyberpunk wouldn't have a pay-2-win system.
    More people play a Naughty Dog game for the single player. Also, I though CD Projekt Red came out recently and stated Cyberpunk wouldn't have a pay-2-win system.

Nothing pay to win, no microtransactions, no loot boxes, nothing. It's because they make games for the fans and let the product speak for itself; not making games for the most amount of $$$ as humanly possible.

More people buy GTA for single player too, but that doesn't change the money that these devs get from their micro-transactions that in some cases make up more of their yearly sales than any of their shelf releases.

As for the micro-transactions in Cyberpunk, I just did a search (haven't followed it for the past week) and they seem to be quelling fears about a system like that appearing in the game after one of their representatives made a comment that didn't help in denying a presence of a system of that kind. Happy to hear it and I hope that they keep steering clear of that as I'll support them simply for who they are and how they treat consumers beyond their ability to make great games.
    I will say this, Rockstar will lose a lot of my love if RDR2's online goes the exact same route as GTA V's, particularly if that's all they focus on and the single player gets no extra love via DLC.
    For those like me who weren't updated on the Cyberpunk situation, here is CD's full tweet quelling rumors:
    xCD_Projekt_Red_Cyberpunk_2077-1.jpg.pagespeed.ic.rtc3UuL6rJ.webp
    I know that concerns were raised when one of the heads of the dev made comments during an interview about making the game more commercially significant on release which, when made in the aftermath of EA's loot box nonsense, caused some to worry that the game would be from that same model.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I will say this, Rockstar will lose a lot of my love if RDR2's online goes the exact same route as GTA V's, particularly if that's all they focus on and the single player gets no extra love via DLC.

@Creasy47, oddly I feel more at ease regarding RDR 2 than I have about GTA Online, simply because Rockstar can't do the same things they did in the former as they have in the latter. One of the biggest issues with GTA Online is the cost of the weapons, cars, apartments and other gameplay elements, much of which were very modern tools like missiles, tanks, weaponized vehicles and more that they grinded the game around for a price. With RDR 2 set in the old west, they can't rely on manipulating people into paying to win to get a jet, or a tank or anything else that is militaristic and powerful as in GTA Online simply because of the time period. The lack of weapons in that day and age, with the most powerful being maybe dynamite for explosives and a sniper rifle for guns means that the gameplay should be far more focused and more fair because there won't be a bunch of over-powered weapons to rely on to kill other players. In GTA Online you can fly around in a jet and just constantly kill people on spawn, but in RDR 2 that kind of thing can't occur.

In that way I can see RDR 2's online being more refreshing, simply because you've just got guns and minor explosives to defend yourself and there will be less room for Rockstar to screw around with micro-transactions. I'm sure there will be a Shark Card variant in the game, like Horse Cards or something stupid like that, but I think the decreased impact of paying to win in the game will help make it more fair and balanced since all there can be are guns, knives, etc to kill people. I can see Rockstar giving you the ability to buy property and things like that, but that doesn't have an effect on player performance. At most I could see them releasing DLC like bulletproof/armored carriages to go on killing sprees but beyond that I think they have little room to manipulate players.
    I wouldn't put it past them to offer neon colored horses and gold plated weapons for ridiculous amounts of money. Ahh well, wasn't too crazy about the RDR online either.
    Didn't play it, but I watched a playthrough of Heavy Rain (2010) for the first time. Really an amazing story. The gameplay is iffy, but the story and multiple endings really makes it worth it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 13,894
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Didn't play it, but I watched a playthrough of Heavy Rain (2010) for the first time. Really an amazing story. The gameplay is iffy, but the story and multiple endings really makes it worth it.

I encountered a glitch that soured my enjoyment of the game. I was forced to restart the game, but I couldn't relax and enjoy it, because I was expecting the glitch to occur again.
    FoxRox wrote: »

I encountered a glitch that soured my enjoyment of the game. I was forced to restart the game, but I couldn't relax and enjoy it, because I was expecting the glitch to occur again.

Same thing with me and Dead Island. Lost my save around 65% of the way through the game, and it took me weeks to return and start again because I was worried the same thing would happen once again in the same spot.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Today I experienced the revelation of switching from composite A/V cables to component cables on my PS2. The picture quality improvement is amazing! Some games such as Gran Turismo 4 even have the ability to output in 1080i through component. It really helps polish up these old games. The only downside is that the improved signal to the TV screen allows you to see more of the pixelization or texture flaws that are present in these aging games, but overall the dramatic increase in sharpness is a great thing and really helps you to see more detail; especially useful for precise aiming in first person shooters. Some games have more pixelization than others, but every game is helped by this upgrade. Cable quality matters in this case, so I made sure to track down official Sony component cables. You can see the difference yourself in this video (starts a 16:20)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Uncharted 4: A Theif's End
    I finally got around to getting a copy (bought it in the black Friday deals in Argos for £12.99, along with a game called The Raid: WW2. I would have bought The Lost Legacy, but it was out of stock). So far, it has been classic Uncharted. I have reached the graveyard, in the Scottish Abbey. That isn't the last we see of Sully, is it?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @MajorDSmythe, many more surprises are coming, I can assure you. No spoilers, but as I said the impact of the game is immeasurable for those who have done their homework and played the other games. It's a very special experience, and ND crafted it with the dedicated fans in mind.

I wouldn't rush it, either. I played a couple hours or a chapter or two a day just to savor it, as I knew I wouldn't be able to play a new Uncharted again for a long time, if ever again.
    Happy birthday to Splinter Cell, the series that redefined stealth in videogames, turned 15 last month Nov 17).
  • Finished the main story of AC Origins. It started off great but towards the end felt very rushed. Not one of the worst stories of the series but not the best either. Everything else is amazing but the story is very important for me with these games, so I think I'd have to put it below AC 2 and probably below Black Flag too. Definitely top three though and I'm excited to see where they go from here.
    If the trilogy rumours are true, I wonder if we'll play as Aya in Rome, if Bayek will follow her over, or if we'll play as Brutus or a whole new character? If we get to play as Brutus I want to see him in the armour Ezio finds in Brotherhood this time.
    @thelivingroyale, that's basically what I've heard from the reviews that weren't super critical. That the story was lacking but the gameplay was improved, etc.

It's very hard to do a story in the AC series I've found, as time is constantly jumping around and that can be both confusing and jarring at times because the characters rarely visibly age. Either way, a timeline that plays out over the course of just one game popping in and out of many years of a character's life can often result in some pacing issues where certain sections of their story are sped through while being juxtaposed by parts that are slower to progress. I've heard specific complaints about that with Origins, not only for what is said to be a strange and confusing start, but also for the pacing of the overall story.

I'll probably play the game sometime in the next year to see what it's all about, and that will give me a lot of time to go back to Black Flag and replay that simply because I've missed it. Because it's my favorite, I'll also have it clearly in my mind whenever I then move on to Origins to see what that same team did on the current consoles.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I went back to revisit Alien: Isolation today and played a bit of Survival Mode. This is still one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion, and I'm not a fan of survival horror in general.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I was in a game store nearby yesterday and picked up two things, Ni No Kuni on the PS3 and Quantum of Solace on the Wii. Ni No Kuni, unfortunately, ended up being Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the X360 and needs to be taken back to get the right game, but QOS tided me over for the time being.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,471
    I went back to revisit Alien: Isolation today and played a bit of Survival Mode. This is still one of the greatest games of all time in my opinion, and I'm not a fan of survival horror in general.

Incredible game and one of my proudest Platinum Trophies on the PS4. Scarcely have I seen a game handle higher difficulties so expertly without having to resort to cheap tactics. The pants/soiling fear I would have inching my way through a dark hallway simply knowing the Xenomorph was prowling, possibly on the other side of the wall from me, was nightmarish.

As for me recently, been more Overwatch (hit fourth prestige the other night) and attempting to get some Battlefront 2 trophies. Got 33% so far, will be fine with 70% or so. Hoping to return to The Witcher 3 real soon, as well.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 28,694
    I was in a game store nearby yesterday and picked up two things, Ni No Kuni on the PS3 and Quantum of Solace on the Wii. Ni No Kuni, unfortunately, ended up being Marvel Ultimate Alliance on the X360 and needs to be taken back to get the right game, but QOS tided me over for the time being.
    My god, I can't believe that is still happening.
    Neither could the guy that answered the phone when I called the store.
    Star Wars: Battlefront II

My goodness, what an awfully generic and forgettable single player that was. I'd sooner have no single player than one that is THAT dull and artifically lengthened (you're given at least two sections per mission where you're forced to walk at a snail's pace to your next objective, or flying through space idly doing nothing). If you've played one DICE title, you've definitely played them all and this isn't any different. After this and BF1, DICE went from one of my most trusted developers to one I won't be purchasing products from any more. Their glory days are gone, in my opinion.
    @Creasy47, I've watched a lot of videos on SWBF2 and I couldn't believe what I'd heard. Not only for the idiotic moves with micro-transactions, but how the single player was designed and how much EA and DICE constantly lied to the public about what to expect. I remember many months ago when you said you wouldn't be surprised if the single player was a short and disappointing mess, and boy were you right.

It's hard to tell who made some of the decisions with the game, DICE or EA. While DICE certainly must be held responsible for how the game plays, which I've heard complaints about, EA are the head honcho and I think most of the criticism lands with them. I've heard conflicting reports about whose idea the loot boxes were, with some blaming DICE, but for me it has EA's stink all over it because it's the same greedy and manipulative system they've put into other games not developed by DICE.

I must say it's been so validating to watch EA's sales and stock value plummet in the wake of this catastrophic release because it shows the power of the consumer when you vote with your wallet and speak up against practices that are slimy and greedily implemented.

Because of the reaction to SWBF2 devs and publishers are put on notice and will be taking higher risks by implementing similar systems in their coming games that could send consumers against them, and I've heard reports of many big name devs and publishers taking meetings recently (like Take Two and Rockstar) to discuss the effect EA's business model has had on their profits and reputation. Hopefully this will lead to more pro consumer models down the line in the industry that don't try to manipulate us or feed us lies about how games are too expensive to make and that's why micro-transactions are needed.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,471
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'd even forgive the five hour playtime (hell, I think I took a collective 4.5 hours on it, which is sad) if what was contained inside was actually good and engaging, but nope. Slow-crawl up here, take cover, shoot enemies (oh, and there's zero mini-map, so you're constantly having enemies spawn behind you without any alert until it's too late).

I'm also not one for complaining about games being too hard, but I picked the easiest difficulty (which alludes to it being so easy that you can just enjoy the sights and sounds and not worry about having your ass handed to you), but damn did I have issues with some of the checkpoints simply due to the piss poor spawning of the enemies, their dead-on aim, and the lack of cover.

Not sure what type of changes DICE has undergone at a management/employee level in the last few years, but Battlefield 4 was their last proper game. Everything else has stunk of unoriginality, littered with loot boxes and cheap mechanics to boot.

DICE has fooled me enough, and I'll only give them more of my money if they ever take the Battlefield series back to its proper roots, which, given the state of games today, I don't see happening. Even if they do, there's no telling that it won't be another glitchy mess.

I'm sort of blown away by the fact that there seems to be some bugs and whatnot that stretch across ALL DICE titles. The last three Battlefield titles and these two Star Wars titles have an issue where, if you quit after a match ends, it'll take you to an infinitely loading black screen, forcing you to dashboard and restart the game. Why does it exist in every game? Why has it never been patched? What on Earth are you doing that causes consistency in bugs and glitches? No excuse. Or these end games screens - they'll showcase a set amount of challenges that you gained progress on...but instead of showing particular challenges that I 100% progressed on during the match, it'll showcase challenges that don't REMOTELY pertain to the game mode in question! How has this been bungled since the earlier Battlefield titles? Just...how?

I know most of it is down to what EA has chosen, but there's still some glaring gameplay inclusions and decisions made on DICE's end that astound me (the biggest one is this injection of Heroes - makes sense for this game, but the fact they put near-invincible cavalry soldiers as a playable selection in Battlefield 1 immediately started to kill that whole experience for me, on top of really bad hit detection).

EA deserves any and all negativity and heavy loss of funds. They've only themselves to blame.

EDIT: Whew, end rant! The state of games just has me in such a constant negative mood regarding them anymore, had to ramble and complain for a bit. Pay to win games shouldn't exist outside of app stores for the price of $0.
  • I recently started a new play through of Resident Evil VII.
    Damn game still makes me jump!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 2,107
    Battlefield Hardline

Seeing how disappointing SW:BF2's campaign was, I had to remind that singleplayer campaigns from EA could actually be good.

As the cop and robbers type of shows / movies fan , I appreciate the effort. It feels like an interactive copshow.