Last Video Game You Played?

Comments

• True but there's balls to the wall and then there's invisibility suits, a sci fi base with a literal forcefield, etc. There's a limit and while Nightfire struck a good balance, I think that EON took it too far into sci fi to the point where it just felt wrong for a James Bond story of any kind. Makes DAD look like FRWL. It was fun but I think the likes of Uncharted have proved that you can do a big OTT action game while still keeping it feeling cinematic rather than contrived and video gamey.
    Yeah don't get me wrong, GE was biblical for its time, but I don't see the point in film adaptations either. Bond games should basically be new, playable Bond films to fill the gap imo.

I think EA realised that in the early 00s but the problem is a lot of those original storied ones still feel very video gamey. Not just in how OTT they are but how they're structured, how the story plays out. Except Nightfire. Nightfire got it so right.
    Nightfire is love. Nightfire is life. :D

It amazes me how well it's aged. I think it's the best Bond game and, out of the ones I've played, the most underrated video game ever.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    True but there's balls to the wall and then there's invisibility suits, a sci fi base with a literal forcefield, etc. There's a limit and while Nightfire struck a good balance, I think that EON took it too far into sci fi to the point where it just felt wrong for a James Bond story of any kind. Makes DAD look like FRWL. It was fun but I think the likes of Uncharted have proved that you can do a big OTT action game while still keeping it feeling cinematic rather than contrived and video gamey.
    Yeah don't get me wrong, GE was biblical for its time, but I don't see the point in film adaptations either. Bond games should basically be new, playable Bond films to fill the gap imo.

I think EA realised that in the early 00s but the problem is a lot of those original storied ones still feel very video gamey. Not just in how OTT they are but how they're structured, how the story plays out. Except Nightfire. Nightfire got it so right.
    Nightfire is love. Nightfire is life. :D

It amazes me how well it's aged. I think it's the best Bond game and, out of the ones I've played, the most underrated video game ever.
    Can't disagree there at all, mate. On both fronts.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    True but there's balls to the wall and then there's invisibility suits, a sci fi base with a literal forcefield, etc. There's a limit and while Nightfire struck a good balance, I think that EON took it too far into sci fi to the point where it just felt wrong for a James Bond story of any kind. Makes DAD look like FRWL. It was fun but I think the likes of Uncharted have proved that you can do a big OTT action game while still keeping it feeling cinematic rather than contrived and video gamey.

Believe me, I'm with you as I dislike those kinds of Bond films or those that step into that tone or content. Just saying that, if it had to be done, video games are probably the most suitable medium for those kinds of stories.
  • Sort of video game related- sorry if it doesn't belong: I threw this bad boy together today! NECA actually made one of these back in 2005 (around when Resident Evil 4 came out on Game Cube), and the RPD Uniform was an exclusive. However I always hated the original, with its hunchback and fragile arms.
    Best of all, I had all these little RE pieces from shitty figures of the past! :)

pic-53-41.jpg

srEvSVl.jpg

99XyPEM.jpg

t3PD8wy.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    That's a nice custom action figure @Master_Dahark. I have the old Toy Biz Leon to go really old school. :-bd.
    41632286.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Very cool, @Master_Dahark. Your Dalton figure will have an accomplice now.
  • Call of Duty: World at War

Beat the campaign on Veteran - there are many dark moments in the game and I think it has the best atmosphere out of any of the CODs. For anyone whose played Black Ops, Reznov stating that he believes they will be welcomed back home as heroes only makes the ending of the game darker.

Have a couple of random trophies to clean up but I should have it platinumed soon enough. Will probably follow this one up with Black Ops.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
    Early impressions so far, very good. Jacob & Evie are already more likeable than Arno. Given how she is geared more towards stealth gameplay, I can see myself playing as Evie as much as possible.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @CrzChris4, the platinum became elusive to me in the last few installments due to those stupid Zombies Easter eggs. One of the reasons I don't bother with them anymore.
  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
    Early impressions so far, very good. Jacob & Evie are already more likeable than Arno. Given how she is geared more towards stealth gameplay, I can see myself playing as Evie as much as possible.

Glad you're enjoying it @MajorDSmythe. I thought it wasn't one of the very best but still a nice return to form after Unity. I really liked how fun, over the top and self aware it was and I thought Jacob and Evie were great, they had a really interesting dynamic.
    Assassin's Creed: Origins is currently on sale for $41.99 (30% off) on the PSN Store for those who have a subscription to the service. It's tempting, as I don't think it'll ever be that low again for a long time, but I just don't know.
    Assassin's Creed: Origins is currently on sale for $41.99 (30% off) on the PSN Store for those who have a subscription to the service. It's tempting, as I don't think it'll ever be that low again for a long time, but I just don't know.

Black Friday is just around the corner, I can easily see it going for $35-40.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Maybe, but I'm more interested in the digital releases of games simply because I don't like having discs coming in the mail for how badly they can be handled and I've got no room for more game cases as we speak.

Maybe, but I'm more interested in the digital releases of games simply because I don't like having discs coming in the mail for how badly they can be handled and I've got no room for more game cases as we speak.

Hopefully nothing ever happens to your account then. That's always an issue I have with going all digital, could so easily lose it all if my account got messed up. That, and having to redownload entire games if I'm forced to delete them.

Hopefully nothing ever happens to your account then. That's always an issue I have with going all digital, could so easily lose it all if my account got messed up. That, and having to redownload entire games if I'm forced to delete them.

Everything has its tradeoffs, but we'll see. I think I'm going to hold off at any rate, as I just don't have the interest I'd like to. But I still wanted to share it as it's a pretty stellar deal for a new game, in case others wanted to take it up.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 40,492
    Hold onto that patience for maybe 6-9 months and you'll likely snag it for $30 if they have a proper digital sale. Will likely be that price in a few months through some retailers I figure.

It looks amazing in the graphics department but still doesn't stand out as an installment in the series that'll drag me back in. Pretty weak holiday season for games in general, actually. Nothing on the horizon for months that I'm interested in, but I did pick up Battlefront 2. Loot crate micro transaction system isn't in the game anymore thankfully...for now, anyway.
    Hold onto that patience for maybe 6-9 months and you'll likely snag it for $30 if they have a proper digital sale.

That's probably what I'll do. I don't think it's right to play another sandbox game without going back to The Witcher 3 and finishing it up. I think the holiday and weather on the east coast will put me in the mood to finish it now that I'm in the snowy Skellige.
    I edited my last post and added more rambling but took too long.

I actually took a break on The Witcher 3 as well shortly after arriving in Skellige. Work keeps me busy and anytime I hop on it's for Overwatch now. I do need to return to it very soon.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Glad you're enjoying it @MajorDSmythe. I thought it wasn't one of the very best but still a nice return to form after Unity. I really liked how fun, over the top and self aware it was and I thought Jacob and Evie were great, they had a really interesting dynamic.

If the rest of the game holds up, my top 3 might change.

See, i'm the opposite @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I like to be able to hold in my hand, what I have bought. That, and also seeing my collection on my shelf. I safely packed my PS2 and all the games I had for it away, when I bought my PS4, so I don't have to worry about space, not yet. I also have my Deluxe Edition of AC: Origins ready. I am going to skip AC: Chronicles, for the time being, and pick it up later on.

If the rest of the game holds up, my top 3 might change.

See, i'm the opposite @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I like to be able to hold in my hand, what I have bought. That, and also seeing my collection on my shelf. I safely packed my PS2 and all the games I had for it away, when I bought my PS4, so I don't have to worry about space, not yet. I also have my Deluxe Edition of AC: Origins ready. I am going to skip AC: Chronicles, for the time being, and pick it up later on.

@MajorDSmythe, yes, I remember us discussing digital vs. tangible purchases before. I'm the same way with everything else (books over kindle downloads, movies on disc instead of digital, etc) but of the small number of games I've gotten digitally (which really isn't a lot) I simply got better deals on those specific titles than I ever would've found anywhere else on the shelf. Certain titles wouldn't have been available in store around my nowhere town or county at any point in the future and I never see massive deals online for certain titles either. So, when I see a digital deal pricing a game at $10 or below when I am usually lucky to see anything less than $20 in a store, I am definitely going to take that leap and pick the game up as it's only logical and the best deal. I already have a blu-ray and book buying issue so the space on my shelves is also more scarce in general and that also informs the decision.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Star Wars Battlefront II
    Star-Wars-Battlefront-2.jpg

I've only played, and beat, the story mode. I really enjoyed it but wanted it to be about a couple hours longer. We should be getting free DLC for an extended story, so I'm looking forward to that.
    I haven't touched the online multiplayer yet but I did play it in the beta. I read EA is changing their loot box system for now. Which is good because I have no respect for the "pay to win" crap.
    I don't mind a multiplayer Star Wars game but Star Wars is about the stories and EA needs to learn that. Multiplayer needs to be secondary to the story. I hope we will get an epic Star Wars game in the future that really gives the franchise justice.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I'm physical with pretty much everything bar books (love my kindle), and music (I do have a nice little CD and record collection but nowadays I always get new releases digitally first and then might be buy it physically if I really like it). I just like having the boxes there. I make up for shelf space by boxing up the ones I know aren't going to get played as much (my n64 and ps2 are boxed up along with all the games I have for them because I only play them every now and again).

@MajorDSmythe Do let me know how Chronicles is when you get round to it. I always meant to try it out because I love the series and the settings seemed really cool, but 2d games aren't really my thing usually, so I kept putting it off.
    I'm physical with pretty much everything bar books (love my kindle), and music (I do have a nice little CD and record collection but nowadays I always get new releases digitally first and then might be buy it physically if I really like it). I just like having the boxes there. I make up for shelf space by boxing up the ones I know aren't going to get played as much (my n64 and ps2 are boxed up along with all the games I have for them because I only play them every now and again).

@MajorDSmythe Do let me know how Chronicles is when you get round to it. I always meant to try it out because I love the series and the settings seemed really cool, but 2d games aren't really my thing usually, so I kept putting it off.

I grew up on 8-bit 2d games on the Sega Master System 2. Games such as: Sonic The Hedgehog, Robocop vs Terminator, Dick Tracy, Master Of Darkness, Cool Spot, 007: The Duel, Alexkid In Wonderland and so on. But I can't see the AC series working well in 2d side scrolling form. Part of what makes the series such a experience, is being able to move through a fully realiased world, or rather, cities. I might just pick up a copy so that I then will have a copy of each game to get a physical release.
    Star Wars - Battlefront 2

Played the singleplayer campaign in about five hours. A bit jumpy with the story, but still gave me that Star Wars goodness. It probably was as I expected. Now I want to read about Inferno Squad. So there's that.

Also played all the arcade challenges and a couple of multiplayer matches.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    SharkBait wrote: »

Played the singleplayer campaign in about five hours. A bit jumpy with the story, but still gave me that Star Wars goodness. It probably was as I expected. Now I want to read about Inferno Squad. So there's that.

Battlefront II: Inferno Squad is a pretty good book, so you should check that out if you haven't.
    SharkBait wrote: »

Multiplayer treating you well thus far? My copy arrives Monday, looking forward to diving in.
    Not bad at all (although I am bad at it. Max six kills in one match).

The only thing I miss, is the ability to pick a map you want to play in. I hear the last battlefront game had it. I hope ea fixes this issue too, if many people start complaining about it.
    I am playing a newly released game called Angry Birds. :)
    It's so addictive.

angrybirdsmovie.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Lemmings I used to love this game on my Amiga back in the day
    So what you make of Battlefront 2 @ Creasy47 ?

Multiplayer, the story?