Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• I disagree. All of the action stuff in QoS is pretty damn cool, and unlike SP is not inturrupted by silliness.

009's playlist. Good grief.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @SaintMark, speaking of the intensity of Craig's fights, you can't forget the brutal beatdown between Bond and Slate in QoS.

True, but it is destroyed by epileptic editing.

If the editor was epilleptic, it would never look like that.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I disagree. All of the action stuff in QoS is pretty damn cool, and unlike SP is not inturrupted by silliness.

I mostly agree with you on this. One or two action scenes I wasntva fan of, the boat chase for example but I thought the Slate fight was one of the easier action scenes to follow, it still could have been edited better but it was satisfyingly brutal.

The Rome car chase isn't as bad after a few viewings but it's still a wasted opportunity. The 009 playlist was cringe and there just wasn't any real tension.

Having just watched QoS again, I repeat that the rapid editing becomes less of a problem the more times you watch the film. The action scenes are among the best in the series. Car chase, scaffold scrap,even the boat chase, which I agree, was the weakest set piece, improves and has some great "yessss!" moments (where Bond runs the boat over the villains engine and scrapes the side of another boat)), apart from the final part with the grapplehook, which is still confusing!
    I wasn't too keen on the Slate/Bond fight. For me this is where it strayed into Bourne territory, and was also too brief. But the end, where Bond waits for Slate to die, was chilling and showed Bond to be the cold blooded killer he is!
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    @SaintMark, speaking of the intensity of Craig's fights, you can't forget the brutal beatdown between Bond and Slate in QoS.

True, but it is destroyed by epileptic editing.

Aye.

• edited February 2016 Posts: 2,483
    I disagree. All of the action stuff in QoS is pretty damn cool, and unlike SP is not inturrupted by silliness.

Quantum of Squalor could have used a bit of "silliness." Or at the very least, an ineffectual stab at humor.

"Come help me...find the stationary."

Gawd, that's awful.

• doubleoego wrote: »

I mostly agree with you on this. One or two action scenes I wasntva fan of, the boat chase for example but I thought the Slate fight was one of the easier action scenes to follow, it still could have been edited better but it was satisfyingly brutal.

The Rome car chase isn't as bad after a few viewings but it's still a wasted opportunity. The 009 playlist was cringe and there just wasn't any real tension.

The Rome car chase was a work of art. A 500-horsepower ballet burnished by fire and concluded by air and water.

• Mathis1 wrote: »
    Having just watched QoS again, I repeat that the rapid editing becomes less of a problem the more times you watch the film. The action scenes are among the best in the series. Car chase, scaffold scrap,even the boat chase, which I agree, was the weakest set piece, improves and has some great "yessss!" moments (where Bond runs the boat over the villains engine and scrapes the side of another boat)), apart from the final part with the grapplehook, which is still confusing!
    I wasn't too keen on the Slate/Bond fight. For me this is where it strayed into Bourne territory, and was also too brief. But the end, where Bond waits for Slate to die, was chilling and showed Bond to be the cold blooded killer he is!

The only good action scenes are Tosca--which is exalted by the score and sets--the aerial chase (sans Bond and Camille surviving an unsurvivable parachute drop), and the concluding sequence in Perla de las Dunas. In other words, the action begins atrociously and improves to mediocrity or high-mediocrity.

doubleoego wrote: »

The Rome car chase was a work of art. A 500-horsepower ballet burnished by fire and concluded by air and water.

Ironically that being said there just wasn't any real substance to it.
  • There is really no sense of pace in the Rome car chase. That is the main problem. And Craig does not sell the humour very well, so it doesn't work.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    There is really no sense of pace in the Rome car chase. That is the main problem. And Craig does not sell the humour very well, so it doesn't work.

I respect your opinion on this.
    But it's a fact (I can't prove of course) that in my eleven viewings of Spectre at the cinema, that car chase sequence got the most laughter from the audience every time.
    Be it the different buttons that didn't work like Bond wanted, be it his landing on the street after he was jettisoned from the car, be it Bond "chasing" the Fiat scene. Etc.

The humour worked big time.

As for the sense of pace. I agree, there isn't any, almost. But that is not the purpose of the sequence. I think most people still haven't understood that.
  • There is really no sense of pace in the Rome car chase. That is the main problem. And Craig does not sell the humour very well, so it doesn't work.

I respect your opinion on this.
    But it's a fact (I can't prove of course) that in my eleven viewings of Spectre at the cinema, that car chase sequence got the most laughter from the audience every time.
    Be it the different buttons that didn't work like Bond wanted, be it his landing on the street after he was jettisoned from the car, be it Bond "chasing" the Fiat scene. Etc.

The humour worked big time.

As for the sense of pace. I agree, there isn't any, almost. But that is not the purpose of the sequence. I think most people still haven't understood that.

Fair enough. But I feel that it comes down to SP's problematic attempt to balance a playful tone and a Craig tone. It doesn't work for me.

And the humour might have worked publicly but it didn't for me, it was very, very predictable and very slapstick, I want smart humour in my Bond movies. For example, when Madeleine screams in the car "can none of you SPEAK!" after being kidnapped. I thought that was hilarious. The 'who are you working for' moment was nice as well.

Because that kind of campy humor is passe now. The Moore stuff just undercuts the story.
  • Mathis1 wrote: »

Bond as the cold-blooded killer is right. I think this is an imperfect but underrated story. There's some weak shots in the parachuting sequence, but man there's cool stuff here.

And that ending!

Lots to enjoy, for me.
  • I admit the knife fight in QoS is good because it succeeds very much at what it tries to do. That is, it unsettles the audience. The whole fight, and then that scene with his death. I didn't want to watch it. But along with the really bad editing in the whole film, it contributes to the overall 'I didn't like it' feeling you get after watching it.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

And how would you define "substance" in the context of a cinematic car chase?

• it does what it is supposed to do, which is to show that Bond is a cold-blooded bird of prey. I really liked it.
    009's playlist is the big laugh of the movie.

I don't get why some people suddenly don't like this kind of humour anymore when it is omnipresent throughout almost the whole franchise.

Just because Spectre isn't the dreary affair Skyfall is, humour isn't evil.

Fot starters, calling it a car chase is a stretch and i'd define it not as Bond nonchalantly cruising through the streets with utter disregard and disinterest in the huge muther****** following him with an increasing lack of intimidation factor as Bond sits back for a chit chat, showing a more concentrated and invested interest in who MP is spreading her legs for. Waste.
    Is this even on the BluRay? Don't remember seeing it.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/b422ef98-094c-4f42-b3c7-daa05c3d0f0f
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Is this even on the BluRay? Don't remember seeing it.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/b422ef98-094c-4f42-b3c7-daa05c3d0f0f

Not that I saw, watched that BTS look online yesterday and wondered the same thing.
    There's so much great material from the Craig era alone that we know exists and we'll never get a chance to see them. It's sad and hurtful that EoN choose to horde great footage and it's only on the off-chance that we get rare instances like this, if we're lucky, to get a little glimpse of these productions.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    There's so much great material from the Craig era alone that we know exists and we'll never get a chance to see them. It's sad and hurtful that EoN choose to horde great footage and it's only on the off-chance that we get rare instances like this, if we're lucky, to get a little glimpse of these productions.

Like the QoS alternate ending: why not release it online? Shell out and do a proper QoS edition and add it on there? The fact that they're sitting on a lot of good material from this era is a real shame, but from here on out, I'm not expecting to be showered in proper special features again.
    Likewise and so true.
    I'm not sure I want EON or a director to re-do a Bond movie. I know it is tempting to wish for a new edited version of QOS but where does it stop, I rather they don't mess with the existing Bond movies.

As for deleted scenes or even alternative endings, bring them on.

Fot starters, calling it a car chase is a stretch and i'd define it not as Bond nonchalantly cruising through the streets with utter disregard and disinterest in the huge muther****** following him with an increasing lack of intimidation factor as Bond sits back for a chit chat, showing a more concentrated and invested interest in who MP is spreading her legs for. Waste.

Ah. I see. Now it's all clear as mud. Thank you.

• 009's playlist is the big laugh of the movie.

I don't get why some people suddenly don't like this kind of humour anymore when it is omnipresent throughout almost the whole franchise.

Just because Spectre isn't the dreary affair Skyfall is, humour isn't evil.

This time and space just won't accept the campy stuff of the Moore era.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ugh here we go again... 8-|
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    After the CR stairwell fight I'd rate the Bond v Hinx train fight , as the best of the Craig fights
    so far.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited March 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It's a good fight that's growing on me. It's like a demolition derby. Nothing works against this guy. I like the proverbial 'everything but the kitchen sink' implication towards the end. Subtly woven in.