Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• I too don't get the Moore comparison, it's got a bit more comedy, or rather comedic
    Scenes, but nothing over the top and blended well with the more serious moments.

It's closer to Moore's films than SF, certainly, but as someone who watched all of Moore's films in the cinema, I can say with considerable certainty that this really isn't a Moore film.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    GoldenEye fight at film's climax - 'You know James I was always better'
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    TLD - PTS fight in the car
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

I consider the Slate fight, along with much of the first third of QOS, to be lousy.

• LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

A some of what you mention there are surely just 'scuffles'...?

TLD car fight is hardly a full blown punch up and the SF silhouette fight is just too arty to make a really good fight scene.

Craig definitely makes the fight and action scenes more realistic which is partly why he's my favourite Bond.
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

TLD car fight is hardly a full blown punch up and the SF silhouette fight is just too arty to make a really good fight scene.

Craig definitely makes the fight and action scenes more realistic which is partly why he's my favourite Bond.

That's a pretty good observation. But whether you count it as a true fight scene or as an aesthetic spectacle, it's awfully, awfully good. One of the greatest sequences in all of Bond, IMO.

It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

I disagree with you, they are scenes that involve fighting - hence they are fight scenes
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

That's a pretty good observation. But whether you count it as a true fight scene or as an aesthetic spectacle, it's awfully, awfully good. One of the greatest sequences in all of Bond, IMO.

The scene you mentioned is certainly well photographed, but you can't tell who is who during the fight and it takes all the excitement out of it.
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

The scene you mentioned is certainly well photographed, but you can't tell who is who during the fight and it takes all the excitement out of it.

Are you sure? I can tell who's who ...
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

I disagree with you, they are scenes that involve fighting - hence they are fight scenes

Fair enough, but I have pretty strict rules as to what I personally consider a fight scene.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @LeonardPine, what do you consider a fight scene, then? The only one I would possibly omit from that list is the fight in TLD's PTS.
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

Only after about the 3rd viewing of the film
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @LeonardPine, what do you consider a fight scene, then? The only one I would possibly omit from that list is the fight in TLD's PTS.

I would also omit the silhouette scene from Skyfall. To arty to be a proper fight scene.

My favourite Bond fights are (In no particular order)

Bond v Grant FRWL
    Bond v Oddjob GF
    Bond v Duvall TB
    PTS OHMSS
    Hotel fight OHMSS
    Elevator fight DAF
    Rooftop fight TSWLM
    Bond vs Chang MR
    Yo Yo fight Octopussy
    Bond v Necros TLD
    Bond v Trevalyan GE
    PTS CR
    Stairwell fight CR
    Hotel room fight QoS
    Bond v Hinx SP
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

I had no problem whatsoever telling who was who. I did, however, have problems distinguishing one car from the other during the QOS PTS chase scene.

It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

I had no problem whatsoever telling who was who. I did, however, have problems distinguishing one car from the other during the QOS PTS chase scene.

Could never mistake an Aston Martin for an Alfa Romeo surely??!!!!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Agree with @LeonardPine that I wouldn't have the TLD jeep in there. It's more of an action sequence. Similarly I would rule out OP (Gobinda on the outside of both the train and plane) and TLD (Necros on the cargo net) - a simple rule of thumb should be if the fighting is merely a backdrop to bigger stunts it doesn't count.

I would certainly count the SF silhouette fight as a fight (what else is it? A love scene?) but I wouldn't rank it that highly. It's decent but I prefer there to be some interaction with the scenery in terms of shit getting smashed up so I much prefer SP.

Obviously that's not the sole criteria as not much gets smashed up in FRWL and loads does in the DAD sword fight (which I rate as very average) but SF just comes across as too minimalist and despite the arty camerawork it's not a patch on Campbell's CR fights.

I'd have the Hinx fight possibly 3rd after Grant and Obanno. I think it's slightly better than OHMSS (Che Che), GE (Alec), CR (Fisher) and QOS (Slate) which are the only other serious contenders.

I do wish Dan had been properly smashed up in it though like he was in CR or like Indy against Pat Roach in Raiders. The fact that there's not a mark on him at the end does seem a bit Rog-esque.
    Speaking of those CR fights, does anyone else ever catch the shot in the stairwell fight where Bond dives and lands on top of the steps, but directly on his neck/head? Looked like it felt terrific.
    I always thought the fight in SF as too choreographed looking. You can see the rehearsed moves. The scrap in SP reminded me of the great fights of old by Bob Simmons, great use of props and hard punches. But that stairwell encounter in CR was fantastically brutal. The DAD swordfight was embarrassing, and shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as the others. It all comes back to the train in FRWL, hard to top that. Connery and Shaw really went for it! I didn't have a problem with the lack of bloody marks on Bond after the Hinx fight. it did bother me a little how well Bond recovered from all the blood and cuts from the stairwell fight to return to the card table! He looked better than before!! he must of had lots of vitamin E in his drink!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I'm appalled!
    All this talk about FRWL CR SP SF GE OHMSS QOS and even DAD.

BUT THE BEST FIGHT OF THE FRANCHISE GETS OVERLOOKED AS USUAL [-(

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KEoh49r3SiA"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    @BondJasonBond006, that one is Top 5 for me, for sure. I love it.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,483
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

When their colors and year models very similar and the editing is so rapid that one never gets a really good look at either car, yes.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better

When their colors are year models very similar and the editing is so rapid that one never gets a really good look at either car, yes.
    I agree. I did find it a little difficult to follow and wondered why they chose to have the cars basically the same colour. They should have gone with a greyer tone Aston, like in CR.
    I think the QoS chase is very well filmed and easy see to where each car is in relation to the chase.
    A lot of people don't like the editing. I think it's razor sharp.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Agreed although I think the editing could have been better.
  • doubleoego wrote: »

A lot better, IMO. And a lot easier on the eyes.
    doubleoego wrote: »

A lot better, IMO. And a lot easier on the eyes.

It couldn't have been much worse.

I think the QoS chase is very well filmed and easy see to where each car is in relation to the chase.
    A lot of people don't like the editing. I think it's razor sharp.

I agree.
    What about Necros v Green 4?

I'd have that certainly in the top 10.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Indeed. And it's good to see a MI6 agent who isn't a complete numpty.
    Necros and Green 4 is a very underrated fight. One of the best.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    What about Necros v Green 4?

I'd have that certainly in the top 10.

Oh, I love that fight! The only worthy one from the Dalton Era, but for m list I was intentionally sticking to fights involving Bond.

Not only the Dalton era. Is there a fight to better it between Bond v Franks and Bond v Alec?
    Bond vs. Alec is the only fight in the Brosnan era that stands out in a 'Best Of' list for me. Sadly, just about all of his other fisticuff moments were pretty forgettable and dull.