Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited April 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bond vs. Alec is the only fight in the Brosnan era that stands out in a 'Best Of' list for me. Sadly, just about all of his other fisticuff moments were pretty forgettable and dull.

Absolutely agree. Though I'd go as far as saying the Bond vs. Renard fight is among the worst of the series.
  • jake24 wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Bond vs. Alec is the only fight in the Brosnan era that stands out in a 'Best Of' list for me. Sadly, just about all of his other fisticuff moments were pretty forgettable and dull.

Absolutely agree. Though I'd go as far as saying the Bond vs. Renard fight is among the worst of the series.

It is pretty anticlimactic yes but not as blatantly offensive as Bond vs. Robocop.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Renard/Bond finale had so much potential; it's Bond fighting a man who feels no pain whatsoever. They should've had Bond doing everything in his power to totally destroy Renard, past a couple of punches and kicks. Should've been much more than it was.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    006 was handled wonderfully, but yes, there's a lot left to be desired from the three that follow.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,400
    I recently looked over CR again. I have to say that while I enjoyed Spectre in the most part, Craig was dynamite in CR. It's still his best film. Campbell nailed the fight scenes.

In particular, I love the bathroom fight. It's so vulgar and inarticulate; there's a certain desperate quality to the way the men are acting. Bond is so commanding and aggressive, but he isn't beyond taking a punch.

I love the moment in particular where Fisher finds the gun and Bond pushes his hand away by forcing him to shoot the sink. The following moment where Bond punches the mirror to force him to drop the gun is great. Also it's even more impressive as it is actually Craig who did it!

Screen_Shot_2016_10_04_at_19_49_36.png

Screen_Shot_2016_10_04_at_19_50_14.png

If you've seen CR a few times, you soon find it it quite easy to spot Ben Cooke, Craig's stunt-double, but I always get a thrill seeing Craig actually in action.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 19,339
    I have to admit,i put it just,and i mean just,below Grant,just because the Grant scene had a great build up in the dining car and the 'red wine with fish' comments,compared to Hinx just wading into Bond.

However,the fight between Bond and Colonel Bouvar,where Bond snaps his neck with the poker is right up there as well,it took him a while to snap it,in TB PTS.

I do like Bond's fight against the SPECTRE agents in the sea in OHMSS PTS as well,thats up there,but the editing is pretty naff.

Of course,Bond versus Peter Franks in the lift in DAF ,is brutal,and one of my favourites.

As for Sir Rog,i do like the fight in Beirut in TMWTGG and the fight at the pyramids in TSWLM...and the buzz saw fight in OP is very good,with a great score.

Dalton didnt use fisticuffs much but he did enjoy a good headbutt in both his films..nice one Tim !

Brosnan's Bond's fight 006 is very good,but for all the build up could have gone on for longer,and then we come back to Craig,full circle.

• w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    Bond vs Hinx is definitely up among the best, I'll let it age for a bit but I'm inclined to put it above the Grant fight.I love the use of the environment especially the fire.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Bond vs Hinx was good. Well choreographed and used the setting well, but I thought it ended with a whimper rather than a bang and the lack of other humans on the train was distracting. I know what Mendes was going for in the film but it still doesn't sit right with me.

Still, it sits nicely in the top 5 fights for me - behind the Lazenby vs Draco's goon in the hotel room, the CR Stairwell scrap, Bond vs Trevelyan, and Bond vs Grant.

What separates the top two (Bond vs Grant in particular) from the rest is the build up. From Russia With Love expertly builds to the Bond and Grant confrontation for a good half an hour before it actually happens. It still feels extremely satisfying even today to watch that film all the way through and breathe the sigh of relief when Bond turns the tables and uses Grant's own garrot against him.

This is why, despite Bautista's good physical performance and the fight scene's brutal nature, Hinx is a bit of a wasted opportunity. Just like the rest of the henchmen in the Craig era, really.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The character of Hinx was a missed opportunity; he should have been more three dimensional. Following his physical takeover of the position in SPECTRE, I would have had him comment on the running of the organization that showed he was more than a brute. I also would have had him reappear at the end of the film, mute now because his vocal cords had been crushed, for an even more epic fight.
    Hinx & Oberhauser needed some form of interaction IMO.

• GBFGBF
    I guess the fight itself is very good and certainly a highlight of the film. I really like it that Craig has a physically superior oppoonant in a fight sequence.

The problem is that the fight comes out of nowhere and does not make any sense in the film. How did Hinx know that they were on this train and why does he wants to kill Bond? I also find it to be too much of a reference to the older train fights in the franchise - in particular FRWL.
  • GBF wrote: »
    I guess the fight itself is very good and certainly a highlight of the film. I really like it that Craig has a physically superior oppoonant in a fight sequence.

The problem is that the fight comes out of nowhere and does not make any sense in the film. How did Hinx know that they were on this train and why does he wants to kill Bond? I also find it to be too much of a reference to the older train fights in the franchise - in particular FRWL.

I agree. The problem with the fight is not internal, rather it is the wider context.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    GBF wrote: »

I agree. The problem with the fight is not internal, rather it is the wider context.

Indeed. Why would Hinx want to kill Bond at this point? Do they want Bond out of the way so they capture Madeline (for no apparent reason)?

Surely Blofeld wants Bond alive otherwise he's denied his childish gloating?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 676
    GBF wrote: »
    I also find it to be too much of a reference to the older train fights in the franchise - in particular FRWL.
    That's what sinks it for me. Bond vs. Hinx is like the slick 21st century Mastercard commercial version of Bond vs. Grant. Sure, it's pretty good, but at the end of the day it's just an imitation of something that was truly groundbreaking.

I only like homages in the Bond films when they take old iconic moments and remix and repurpose them, instead of just copying them. For example, Craig rising from the water in CR. Or Bond flipping the DBS with the ejector seat in DAD. Yet for some reason, I despise the "golden girl" homage in QoS. I think because it doesn't do anything except sub in oil for gold, which is not all that clever, and its presentation has about 1/10th the impact of the original scene. Perhaps a good twist would have been showing Fields captured by Greene (or Elvis?) and her head dunked into a barrel of oil. The next time we see her, she's covered in oil - not painted, but suffocated in it, her body crumpled on the bed - with oil splashed all across the bright white room from the struggle beforehand. That would have been chilling.

Anyway, I digress.
    I remember Mendes saying how Hinx was going to be this smart strategist for Spectre. And how "our Spectre" would be new & exciting.

We barely saw any of this on screen.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    I remember Mendes saying how Hinx was going to be this smart strategist for Spectre. And how "our Spectre" would be new & exciting.

That's why I got to stop reading/watching pre release media. They hyped up Elvis's backstory too

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    w2bond wrote: »

That's why I got to stop reading/watching pre release media. They hyped up Elvis's backstory too

What did they say about Elvis now?
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Elvis is wonderful, a deep complicated character that is never in the foreground but plays subtly in the shadow of Dominic Greene. He is like the salt in the soup, take it away and it will taste stale.
    Was that "they" or you, @BondJasonBond666 ?
    Elvis is wonderful, a deep complicated character that is never in the foreground but plays subtly in the shadow of Dominic Greene. He is like the salt in the soup, take it away and it will taste stale.

He reminds me of Gollum around Bilbo or Frodo when they have the ring..always next to Greene ,I like Greene and Elvis,2 slimy characters.

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    The Bond Hinx was brutal and exciting ...I just thought it was cut too short. The camera angle to me was fine... just enclosed enough to gain the sense of limited fight space.
    Just curious:

Where does the Fields vs Elvis fight in the stairs rank among the best fights in the series?
    jobo wrote: »
    Just curious:

Where does the Fields vs Elvis fight in the stairs rank among the best fights in the series?
    She did win the wig trophy so its pretty high for me,and she apologised as us Brits do.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Just curious:

She did win the wig trophy so its pretty high for me,and she apologised as us Brits do.

I like that scene.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Just curious:

I like that scene.
    |Me too...its why the vision of a dead fields is so shocking,and such a shame....i wont lie,i do like Camille but if she died and Fields took over as Bond's back up i would have loved that

I've just watched the above mentioned fight ,and i wondered how Lazenby would have done against Hinx,or Connery..they are the only 2 that i think would have stood a chance...

At the end of the day Craig lost the fight until Madeleine shot Hinx.
    w2bond wrote: »

That's why I got to stop reading/watching pre release media. They hyped up Elvis's backstory totooo

What did they say about Elvis now?

‘Elvis is Dominic Greene’s associate, cousin, family, tapestry who makes him shine and perform in the best way possible to save the world,’ said Taubman. ‘So Elvis is here to play to the king. And my king is my family member, Dominic Greene. [Elvis] is vain, colourful, and self-absorbed. He will definitely–hopefully–make a very colourful tapestry.’

http://commanderbond.net/5148/quantum-cast-and-crew-soundbites-from-bregenz.html

We really got a deep look at Elvis's backstory in the movie!
    Just curious:

I like that scene.
    |,i do like Camille but if she died i would have loved that

You re crazy.
    Just curious:

I like that scene.
    |,i do like Camille but if she died i would have loved that

You re crazy.

Amazing how you pick out half of a sentence and then call me crazy...what about the rest of what i said ,you pratt.

About Fields?