Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    What I like about the Hinx train fight is that Bond is beaten !, He tries everthing to
    put Hinx down and nothing works. When Hinx catches up with him in the luggage
    car. Bond has no strength left, can barely stand and even collapses at one point.
    So in my mind at least, very close to what Bond has gone through many times
    in the books. He has to find some inner strength to overcome an emeny, outwit
    him.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Having just watched QoS again, I repeat that the rapid editing becomes less of a problem the more times you watch the film. The action scenes are among the best in the series. Car chase, scaffold scrap,even the boat chase, which I agree, was the weakest set piece, improves and has some great "yessss!" moments (where Bond runs the boat over the villains engine and scrapes the side of another boat)), apart from the final part with the grapplehook, which is still confusing!
    I wasn't too keen on the Slate/Bond fight. For me this is where it strayed into Bourne territory, and was also too brief. But the end, where Bond waits for Slate to die, was chilling and showed Bond to be the cold blooded killer he is!

The brevity is what made that fight scene so great. Slate was also an assassin...and the fact that Bond put him down in less than 60 seconds is perhaps the greatest Bad Ass Bond Moment of all time.
    I thought tnere were too many "moves" in the QOS fight, almost like watching a
    Krav Maga display. With the Spectre train fight, it's old fashioned punches.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    The train fight in SP is no doubt a big homage to FRWL and TSWLM and LALD.

It has become a loved tradition to have a fight on a train with a henchman. It actually took way too long to happen again.
    True, Bond fighting on a train, is a well trodden path, or track. :)
    The FRWL fight must have looked brutal in 1963 !
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 1,817
    Well unless I'm wrong, with the Bond vs Hinx fight that gives us six train fights in the series, four inside a train and two on the top of a train.

FRWL - Red Grant
    LALD - Tee Hee
    TSWLM - Jaws
    OP - Gobinda (and later Grischka) on the roof
    SF - Patrice on the roof
    SP - Mr. Hinx

If I were to rank them:
    1. FRWL
    2. SP
    3. OP
    4. SF
    5. TSWLM
    6. LALD
  • edited March 2016 Posts: 7,500
    Well unless I'm wrong, with the Bond vs Hinx fight that gives us six train fights in the series, four inside a train and two on the top of a train.

FRWL - Red Grant
    LALD - Tee Hee
    TSWLM - Jaws
    OP - Gobinda (and later Grischka) on the roof
    SF - Patrice on the roof
    SP - Mr. Hinx

If I were to rank them:
    1. FRWL
    2. SP
    3. OP
    4. SF
    5. TSWLM
    6. LALD

I would rank it exactly the same way. But there's a big jump quality wise between the top four and bottom two in my opinion.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I thought tnere were too many "moves" in the QOS fight, almost like watching a
    Krav Maga display. With the Spectre train fight, it's old fashioned punches.

I'd rather see Bond do more Krav Maga. It's a credible form of fighting style for any law enforcement personnel or spy/assassin worth their salt. They need to be taking out the enemy as quickly as possible and this fighting style is explosively efficient and simultaneously blocks and counter attacks to great and proven effect in real life situations as opposed to slobber knocker, old fashioned, meat and potato punches which were great during the wild western days when cowboys couldn't really fight for shit.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Well, @doubleoego, you will get what you ask for in less than 1 year: Keanu Reeves has said in an interview that 'John Wick 2' will have fist/gunfight scenes 3 times more badass and brutal than in the first Wick film. ;)
    edited March 2016 Posts: 13,384
    Yes, a great film and I'm looking forward to it but totally unbelievable. The point
    I was making ( admittedly badly) was the fight was a bit slow ! Arms being left out too
    Long to give an opponent a chance to get a lock etc. Hence why it had the feeling of
    a display class, rather than a fight. Especially when compared to the stairwell fight in
    CR.

In the real world no one fighting system is best, you need a range of techniques, which
    Just might include good old fashioned boxing. :)
    John Wick is already in my Top 5 best movies of the 10's
    Absolutely, the fight choreography is fantastic. I'll be looking forward to the next one.
    Well, @doubleoego, you will get what you ask for in less than 1 year: Keanu Reeves has said in an interview that 'John Wick 2' will have fist/gunfight scenes 3 times more badass and brutal than in the first Wick film. ;)

I'm very very excited about that. The first film was fantastic and I have high hopes for this new one.
    Yes, a great film and I'm looking forward to it but totally unbelievable. The point
    I was making ( admittedly badly) was the fight was a bit slow ! Arms being left out too
    Long to give an opponent a chance to get a lock etc. Hence why it had the feeling of
    a display class, rather than a fight. Especially when compared to the stairwell fight in
    CR.

In the real world no one fighting system is best, you need a range of techniques, which
    Just might include good old fashioned boxing. :)

You're actually right and the reason why it looked like a display class is because Krav Maga type fighting isn't all that great and rewarding to absorb for a film audience. They have to exaggerate and actually execute some of the moves poorly on purpose just so that the camera can pick it up on film.
    Ah, I can understand that @doubleoego
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would actually like to see a return to a looser, more fun Bond film. Just for a couple of installments. I realize some feel we got that with SPECTRE, but I didn't see it that way.

I agree that SP is anything but a fun n' breezy Bond film, 009's playlist notwithstanding. For the life of me I cannot figure out how anybody has the notion that SP is Moore-like. On the whole it's a rather dark and ominous film enlivened with nice bits of humor here and there. And speaking of the humor, my favorite such moment is when Q gives Bond his new watch. Craig's "Well, does it do anything?", which fairly vibrates with frustration is most amusing. Perhaps Craig's best single moment in the film.

I too don't get the Moore comparison, it's got a bit more comedy, or rather comedic
    Scenes, but nothing over the top and blended well with the more serious moments.
  • RC7RC7
    On the whole it's a rather dark and ominous film enlivened with nice bits of humor here and there.

My take, too.
    Hinx's killing in the board room and Bond being tortured by drilling into his skull.
    Mr White's suicide, Doesn't sound very Mooresque .
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Neither does poor Corinne Dufour being ravaged by Doberman's or Countness Lisl being run down.... :D
    :)) True, my only defence is they weren't in the same film.
    Don't get me wrong I love Sir Roger as 007, I grew up watching him
    and he could be badass at times.
    If they had let him, Moore would have kicked ass that Craigconnerydaltonbrosnanlazenby would hide in a corner trembling with fear and peeing their pants.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    No one can resist Sir Rog and those eyebrows
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TripAces wrote: »
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Having just watched QoS again, I repeat that the rapid editing becomes less of a problem the more times you watch the film. The action scenes are among the best in the series. Car chase, scaffold scrap,even the boat chase, which I agree, was the weakest set piece, improves and has some great "yessss!" moments (where Bond runs the boat over the villains engine and scrapes the side of another boat)), apart from the final part with the grapplehook, which is still confusing!
    I wasn't too keen on the Slate/Bond fight. For me this is where it strayed into Bourne territory, and was also too brief. But the end, where Bond waits for Slate to die, was chilling and showed Bond to be the cold blooded killer he is!

The brevity is what made that fight scene so great. Slate was also an assassin...and the fact that Bond put him down in less than 60 seconds is perhaps the greatest Bad Ass Bond Moment of all time.

Slate-Gone in 60 seconds.

(Sorry, Slate. Couldn t resist. Please don t haunt me.)
    royale65 wrote: »
    Neither does poor Corinne Dufour being ravaged by Doberman's or Countness Lisl being run down.... :D

True. But that disturbing sequence is surrounded by things such as Jaws flapping his "wings," the Bondola, double-taking pigeons, the Magnificent Seven sequence, and Bond revealing a whole raft of Goodhead's CIA gadgets in the hotel room. And it all ends with "I think he's attempting reentry, sir!"

Now I like MR tolerably well, but in terms of comparative silliness it absolutely blows SP away.

• SP is the worst of Moore and Brosnan eras combined.
    SP is the worst of Moore and Brosnan eras combined.

Your humour is priceless.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Loved the fight scene. It is one of my favourite moments in the film. Fast, brutal and very well edited. The only flaw was no marks on Bonds face after the battle. In CR he had marks after every encounter!

I'd say it was 3rd best Bond fight after Bond v Grant and the stairwell fight from CR.
    It's good but ...

FRWL train fight
    GoldenEye fight at film's climax - 'You know James I was always better'
    CR - PTS fight
    CR - stairwell fight
    SF - silhouette fight
    TLD - PTS fight in the car
    QoS - fight with Slate

are all better
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 337
    On average, the Craig fisticuffs are the best in the series. The one in SP is pretty good but not as good as Craig's fights in CR, or the FRWL brawl between Connery's Bond and Grant, or even as good as the GE fight between Brosnan's Bond and Trevelyan. Maybe even Bond's second fight with Patrice in Skyfall might be better.