Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• talos7 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I find Hitchcock's THE BIRDS to be quite suspenseful and effective. By the way, it's his only film to actually involve the supernatural.

But is it supernatural or is it just nature run amok? I've never seen it as supernatural.

Birds is among the best of the Hitchcocks, for me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Bond vs Hitch. Tough one.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I thought it was a brutal fight. Bond doing everything possible to hold off Hinx, and Hinx just swatting each attempt like an annoying fly. It took creative thinking, some steel kegs and a length of rope to get Hinx to back off.
  • The bit where HInx pins Bond to the top of the train cab and there's nothing he can do about it is impressive. Also like the quick swings and misses by HInx, punctuated by some sharp jabs by Bond. A great, fun fight. and one of the hi lights of the picture.

Not to be redundant, but Hinx really should have survived to the end of the story.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @TellyBlofeld, nobody saw him die, and I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to bring him back for the next one, ala Jaws. I'd be very happy with that.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @TellyBlofeld, nobody saw him die, and I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to bring him back for the next one, ala Jaws. I'd be very happy with that.

As long as he doesn t turn good that is fine by me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    The problem could be how he tops his SP performance. The Jaws problem again.

The SP fight is probably as good as it will get, so I don't know what else they can do, because he's already gouged someone's eyes out too.
    bondjames wrote: »

The SP fight is probably as good as it will get, so I don't know what else they can do, because he's already gouged someone's eyes out too.

The SP fight was great, don't get me wrong, definitely one of my favorites, but we're aiming pretty low if we're saying that's as good as it will get. There are plenty of other scenarios or instances Bond could go up against someone like Hinx to make for something really exciting or memorable. If that's as good as it gets, then they set the bar very low, seeing as it's not even close to being the first time Bond squares off against someone of equal skill/increased size on a train (Red Grant, Jaws, Tee-Hee, Mischka, Patrice). They can do even better, as far as I'm concerned.
  • I'll take this fight over ANY of the Moore era fights.

Big time.

If he succeeds in gouging Bond s eyes out, that would be something new.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @TellyBlofeld - RE: Hinx's deat. I was about to say something, but @Creasy47 said it. We didn't see Hinx body, so there is more of a chance that he will return at some point than not. At least I hope that's isn't the last we've seen of Mr Hinx.
    I agree on Moore's fights, whatever it was that Moore was best at, it certainly wasn't fighting. The Bond vs Hinx fight had an energy that was lacking in the Moore fights.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Is there anyone on here more scientifically minded than me who can make sense of these calculations and lay to rest this tiresome notion of Hinx surviving?

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/01/16/the-not-so-fine-art-of-hanging/

Hinx is easily over 200lbs so that would equate to a 5'4 rope for a conventional hanging.

The thing that needs calculating is the force from acceleration due to gravity of his body weight versus the force from the weight of approx 6 barrels falling out of a moving train on the end of about a 10-12 foot rope (estimates - I need to check the DVD to be sure on these two points).

I'm far from an expert but I'm pretty sure there was more than enough force to break his neck. And that's before you factor in any other injuries from falling out of a train and the fact he is then stuck in the middle of the desert alone and miles from a hospital.

Jaws could possibly have survived but I thought the Craig era was supposed to be realistic?

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't get why people really believe in Hinx or Swann or Blofeld (Waltz's version) to return to the next Bond movie.
    Except for Jaws it has never been done.
    Sylvia Trench being the only other exception, but then she was initially planned to be a recurring character.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »

As long as he doesn t turn good that is fine by me.

I believe that's Tchaikovsky I hear in the background. And could that be a field of rippling, golden wheat up ahead?

• bondjames wrote: »

I believe Q has fashioned a set of spare Bond eyes for just that eventuality. He's very talented.

edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883

The SP fight was great, don't get me wrong, definitely one of my favorites, but we're aiming pretty low if we're saying that's as good as it will get. There are plenty of other scenarios or instances Bond could go up against someone like Hinx to make for something really exciting or memorable. If that's as good as it gets, then they set the bar very low, seeing as it's not even close to being the first time Bond squares off against someone of equal skill/increased size on a train (Red Grant, Jaws, Tee-Hee, Mischka, Patrice). They can do even better, as far as I'm concerned.
    Perhaps you're right. My point, poorly made, was that they've pretty much done what they can with him in particular.

I don't see them bringing him back to have another one on one with Bond as visceral as the one in SP in the next consecutive film. It will seem like too much and reduce the impact of the SP fight, because they will be trying to top it. So he will have to be put into some other interesting scenarios with Bond. Perhaps a foot chase in an interesting pretitles location, where Bond escapes from him before they connect again. I'm not sure.

Or perhaps it's not a fight, but rather a hunt (like the end sequence in TMWTGG) and Bond shoots him first.

I just don't see them doing a fight scene with him and Bond again in the next film.

I believe they 'got that' with Jaws in MR and that's why they had to switch his character around, because otherwise it would just seem too repetitive of TSWLM.

I believe Q has fashioned a set of spare Bond eyes for just that eventuality. He's very talented.

Of course. Or he could just wear glasses.
    @TheWizardOfIce, with that logic, Bond should've been killed when he fell head first into the water after his fall off the train in SF.
    Not a bad fight scene ,I also liked the barrels that pull hinx out off the train a bit like jaws?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It was a good fight scene but I thought it still lacked a little considering who was choreographing it. Bautista was great though, his presence carried serious weight to the altercation and I rarely do this but I also have to give credit to Newman because when his score eventually kicks in, it compliments what's going on perfectly.
  • Best fight of the franchise, hands down. I even ducked, blocked and throwned punch with Bond every time I saw the fight.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    That fight really should have been at the end of the film imho.

Bond battered and bruised with Madeline. It could have forged their relationship somewhat and made his desire to leave (after almost being killed) more believable. Of course that would have meant switching up a lot of other elements, but that's what I would have done, eg. built it up into one massive encounter that starts with Hinx chasing the two of them and finishes with the fight.

I somehow feel that its placement in the film is odd as it stands. Massive violence followed by passionate sex.... and slow pacing on either end of it.
    @bondjames

You got a point, it's unusual, that an "end-fight" with the henchman occurs in the middle of the movie.

But after 12 viewings that never entered my mind to be honest, so I guess, hope, it's not really an issue.

If I want look negatively on this, I'd say, Hinx was a bit wasted in Spectre. There could have been more of him I guess. But then the movie is long enough as it is and I can't think of any scene I would cut to have more Hinx in it.
    Why has no fight in the Craig era ever gotten close to the intensity of the fight in CR when Bond has to kill men before the eyes of Vesper. That fight was realistic and hard, while the latest trainfight in SP lacked suspense and felt like it took place in vacuum in which was only place for 007, Hinx and lady. Like most actionscenes in SP devoid of life and people.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The Bond vs Hinx fight topped that for me. :D
    The Hinx fight is the best thing since the train fight in FRWL.
    Murdock wrote: »
    The Bond vs Hinx fight topped that for me. :D
    The Hinx fight is the best thing since the train fight in FRWL.

I concur with you guys!

• Hinx is just a bad@$$.
    @SaintMark, speaking of the intensity of Craig's fights, you can't forget the brutal beatdown between Bond and Slate in QoS.
    @SaintMark, speaking of the intensity of Craig's fights, you can't forget the brutal beatdown between Bond and Slate in QoS.

True, but it is destroyed by epileptic editing.