Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Those guys really love SPECTRE. But I have to assume that degree of enthusiasm has to be at least somewhat fueled by the grand experience. They are very sensitive to any critique. And yes, I love their show and appreciate what they do.

We did discuss the impact of a premiere on your appreciation, but I don't think any of us would've walked out of their kidding ourselves. I didn't after the SF premiere either. The red carpet experience feels unusually disconnected from the screening. I'm not saying you don't have a subconscious positive connection, but I certainly wouldn't defend something purely because of the initial experience.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    RC7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Cuckoo007 wrote: »
    It was pretty good, but I liked Bond vs the helicopter better. The snow plane chase was good too.

The chopper fight and snow chase did nothing for me, unfortunately.

Wow, I can get not liking the snow chase but I thought the helicopter fight was unanimously considered thrilling.

Speak for yourself. It's alright but nothing staggering. People to be mistaking the style of the tracking shot over the substance of what we actually get.

Has anyone listened to that James Bond Radio thing? The guy on there can't stop creaming himself about how good the PTS is. Although given that him and his mate wound up on the red carpet I suspect EON dished out premiere tickets because he generates sufficient publicity so he's not going to bite the hand that feeds him.

Actually, I got the boys from JBR tickets and we went down there together. They're top blokes, not at all affiliated with EON and do it all for the love Bond. Their enthusiasm is genuinely infectious, but they're no EON lackies, Chris actually wrote a letter to them post QoS outlining his immense disappointment.

They are certainly clearly very enthusiastic and proper fans and I enjoy a lot of their stuff. It just seems they are happy to hyperbolise when it's something they like but when it's not they just say 'I wasn't so keen on that' rather than properly ripping into it.

But I suppose not everyone is blessed with being as curmudgeonly as me.

PS @RC7 next time you're dishing out premiere tickets send some our way on here. After SF I got it right in the ear this time from the missus for not being able to source any.
  • RC7RC7
    Cuckoo007 wrote: »
    It was pretty good, but I liked Bond vs the helicopter better. The snow plane chase was good too.

The chopper fight and snow chase did nothing for me, unfortunately.

Wow, I can get not liking the snow chase but I thought the helicopter fight was unanimously considered thrilling.

Speak for yourself. It's alright but nothing staggering. People to be mistaking the style of the tracking shot over the substance of what we actually get.

Has anyone listened to that James Bond Radio thing? The guy on there can't stop creaming himself about how good the PTS is. Although given that him and his mate wound up on the red carpet I suspect EON dished out premiere tickets because he generates sufficient publicity so he's not going to bite the hand that feeds him.

Actually, I got the boys from JBR tickets and we went down there together. They're top blokes, not at all affiliated with EON and do it all for the love Bond. Their enthusiasm is genuinely infectious, but they're no EON lackies, Chris actually wrote a letter to them post QoS outlining his immense disappointment.

They are certainly clearly very enthusiastic and proper fans and I enjoy a lot of their stuff. It just seems they are happy to hyperbolise when it's something they like but when it's not they just say 'I wasn't so keen on that' rather than properly ripping into it.

But I suppose not everyone is blessed with being as curmudgeonly as me.

PS @RC7 next time you're dishing out premiere tickets send some our way on here. After SF I got it right in the ear this time from the missus for not being able to source any.

Ha ha, will bear that in mind next time.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Hinx definitely deserved more screen time but for the time he was on screen he was excellent.

I'm calling it right now--Hinx is the best henchman in Bond history.

Whoah!! (That's English for stop a horse!)

That's quite a bold claim Sir!

A very good entrance and fight but I feel the writing stopped him from being great.

What exactly is his motivation? Just to kill Bond it seems in the car chase and the train - which is fair enough. Except Blofeld sends the car to pick Bond up so he doesn't want him dead then? Buggered if I know.

Similarly why does he kidnap Madeline rather than kill her? White is nothing to SPECTRE and, indeed dead, so what is their interest in Madeline at all? Where is Hinx taking her in the car?

Or is it just to lure Bond because C is helping them track him via the smart blood (that's a seriously wank name for it by the way - just call it a chip like in CR)?

We just need a little scene where Hinx's motivations are made clear. From his introduction it seems like he is applying for membership to SPECTRE so is he just doing all this to impress Blofeld? Or is he actually under orders?

It's really not enough for him just to keep popping up all over the place without knowing why. Jaws similarly kept popping up trying to kill Bond but that was fine because he was told to 'eliminate anyone who comes into contact with that microfilm' so hence Fekkesh and Kalba bought it and Bond and Anya are next.

But Hinx for reasons known only to himself wants to kill Bond and kidnap Madeline. That's not good enough I'm afraid.

And certainly not good enough to make him best henchman of all time.

I really dont know how people come up with these plot holes sometimes. Seriously these things all have easy explanations and could have never thought of them myself.
    Ottofuse8 wrote: »
    Hinx definitely deserved more screen time but for the time he was on screen he was excellent.

I'm calling it right now--Hinx is the best henchman in Bond history.

Whoah!! (That's English for stop a horse!)

That's quite a bold claim Sir!

A very good entrance and fight but I feel the writing stopped him from being great.

What exactly is his motivation? Just to kill Bond it seems in the car chase and the train - which is fair enough. Except Blofeld sends the car to pick Bond up so he doesn't want him dead then? Buggered if I know.

Similarly why does he kidnap Madeline rather than kill her? White is nothing to SPECTRE and, indeed dead, so what is their interest in Madeline at all? Where is Hinx taking her in the car?

Or is it just to lure Bond because C is helping them track him via the smart blood (that's a seriously wank name for it by the way - just call it a chip like in CR)?

We just need a little scene where Hinx's motivations are made clear. From his introduction it seems like he is applying for membership to SPECTRE so is he just doing all this to impress Blofeld? Or is he actually under orders?

It's really not enough for him just to keep popping up all over the place without knowing why. Jaws similarly kept popping up trying to kill Bond but that was fine because he was told to 'eliminate anyone who comes into contact with that microfilm' so hence Fekkesh and Kalba bought it and Bond and Anya are next.

But Hinx for reasons known only to himself wants to kill Bond and kidnap Madeline. That's not good enough I'm afraid.

And certainly not good enough to make him best henchman of all time.

I really dont know how people come up with these plot holes sometimes. Seriously these things all have easy explanations and could have never thought of them myself.

I'm all ears.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 489
    I forgot to include OHMSS, all great fights in that one!

Agreed. Best fights of the classic era, even better than my beloved Connery fights, 'cept perhaps the Grant fight in FRWL.

Forthe modern era, I'll take the staircase machete fight from CR, the end fight in GE, and that spectacular car chase to open QoS.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I thought the fight was pretty stunning. It's the most bone crunching in the series; you feel the hits. In the Craig era I've always enjoyed the Obanno fight, you feel Bond is really on the edge. It's the same with the Hinx fight, he gets absolutely leathered. Counter that with the slate fight and I just feel like that is overly choreographed Bourne-lite fare. I imagine the Hinx fight would be more highly regarded if the film had been.

To hear DC grimace and almost cry out when Hinx's huge hands strap across his face, makes it very real. When Bond has figuratively thrown the kitchen sink at this man, he's lost the fight and is ready to die... if not for Madeline...

This is a great scene (although I didn't like his death)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I didn't like Madeline shooting Hinx. I would have liked to see Bond have worked out a path to victory on his own.
    That would definitely have been better, but it's one of the few times when she's useful though (apart from the Omega incident), and I quite liked Newman's score right at that point. One of his better pieces.
    I do like that film noir look she has after she shoots him and swings around a corner with the gun out.
    Yes, I noticed that too. I have to say everything that happened in the kitchen (except for the eventual Hinx exit) was impressive to me, because it was different, as opposed to the cabin, which we've seen before. I repeat though - Newman impressed me in that scene, including when Bond looked like he was toast.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Playing around with some video editing software I tensed up the Train Fight.
    Nice @Murdock, but I have to say I preferred it without the scoring (until the kitchen as Newman did it). It gave the bone crushing sounds more impact, and when the score did in fact kick in during the kitchen sequence it felt particularly ominous because it was when Bond was on the ropes.

Where did you get the music from? GE?

Since I've come round to this fight, I'd like to see Hinx again, even though his character was poorly developed in SP. I don't think it will happen though (he was probably a one off).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited February 2016 Posts: 16,330
    Thanks, @bondjames. I liked the fight without the music as well but I like playing around with these what if rescores. It's sort of ironic too, the music I used was the fight music between Bond and Jaws on a train. 007 Everything or Nothing had it all.

I do hope Hinx comes back, he was a highlight for me. It was nice seeing over the top henchmen again.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I didn't like Madeline shooting Hinx. I would have liked to see Bond have worked out a path to victory on his own.

I didn't mind because Hinx was an absolute behemoth. Bond represented himself well in that fight, but he was getting tossed around like a salad.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2016 Posts: 4,554
    CR is generally loved, maybe as much as GF, certainly as much as TSWLM or GE.

SF was a phenomenon, but it's hard to argue that it isn't the GF of our time popularity wise.

The difference between SF and SP is that plot holes don't matter much with SP as it is a 100% fun movie like TSWLM or GE with lots of cool OTT action.

SF on the other hand takes itself seriously, more than any Bond movie before and then plot holes matter very much as they damage the movie.

I have to laugh hard, when some try to explain the plot holes of Spectre to death.
    Then they surely can't enjoy movies like the ones I've mentioned above as well.

Let alone anything that comes out of the Marvel Universe.

They should get a grip and enjoy themselves.

This comes up a lot. But...what plot holes? Each of the following can be explained rather convincingly:

1. The stolen hard drive never recovered or ever becoming an issue
    2. Silva's capture on the island
    3. Silva's escape
    4. The bomb in the subway
    5. The use of police (or henchmen disguised as such) in the escape
    6. The ability to fly a military helicopter undetected

;)

Now, with that out of the way, I am going out on a limb here:

Bond vs Hinx is the greatest Bond fight scene.
  • All films are flawed. In casablanca, the plane lands at the beginning of the picture, then the shadow goes in the other direction. No one is in the room in Citizen Kane to hear Welle's character say 'rosebud'. Is SF flawed? Yes, but still a darn good story.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Casablanca and Citizen Kane are both overrated.They are nowhere near the throne. Not bad, but best film ever? Haha, no.
  • Yeah the use of the score and lack thereof is fantastic in that sequence. I liked Madelaine shooting Hinx because Bond was toast. He wasn't using his intelligence or quick thinking to get out of that - he was down for the count.

It also resonates more and helps their relationship grow (which is necessary given how little we get to see it develop). He saves her, she saves him, they are in these high intensity situations so a bond naturally forms. I think that is solidified when they "save eachother" in a different way when Madelaine is being subjected to her father's suicide. That kinda cements the relationship a bit (although far from love but people say irrational things in high octaine situations like they're in).
    I think that is solidified when they "save eachother" in a different way when Madelaine is being subjected to her father's suicide. That kinda cements the relationship a bit (although far from love but people say irrational things in high octaine situations like they're in).
    Interestingly, Blofeld mentions something about this very fact in that scene. "The things that bring people together. Out of horror, beauty.!" or some such statement.

It was fascinating to see that on my recent viewing (as if he himself was attempting to forge such connection), although it still seems contrived.
    I haven't seen these, although I've wanted to for years. I'll have to eventually check them out. I'm afraid I will be bored, since I come from an ADD era.
  • Recommend Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Vertigo. In my opinion, the top three films ever made. There's a bunch of others, but these three stand out, for me.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I think that is solidified when they "save eachother" in a different way when Madelaine is being subjected to her father's suicide. That kinda cements the relationship a bit (although far from love but people say irrational things in high octaine situations like they're in).
    Interestingly, Blofeld mentions something about this very fact in that scene. "The things that bring people together. Out of horror, beauty.!" or some such statement.

It was fascinating to see that on my recent viewing (as if he himself was attempting to forge such connection), although it still seems contrived.

His quote has a double meaning, which he tongue-in-cheek means for Bond and Madelaine (thinking they're about to die by his hand) and for his own rise to power. Contrived, maybe, but I was appreciative of anything that helped me cling on to their relationship a bit more and invest.

Alternately, this further evidences Blofeld's ascent to the top as being sparked by daddy liking Bond better. Bleh.
  • Yeah the use of the score and lack thereof is fantastic in that sequence. I liked Madelaine shooting Hinx because Bond was toast. He wasn't using his intelligence or quick thinking to get out of that - he was down for the count.

It also resonates more and helps their relationship grow (which is necessary given how little we get to see it develop). He saves her, she saves him, they are in these high intensity situations so a bond naturally forms. I think that is solidified when they "save eachother" in a different way when Madelaine is being subjected to her father's suicide. That kinda cements the relationship a bit (although far from love but people say irrational things in high octaine situations like they're in).

I will say that she seemed like she knew what she was doing with a pistol, yet she did not put a round in Hinx' skull.
  • Chalk it up to the fact that it's a Bond film, and she was probably pretty shaken up after Hinx knocked her out that first time.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    That was a nicely executed dirty slap he gave her. I applaud the film for having the balls to go there.
  • Eh, he's a villain and was in a fight and she did whack him with a huge blunt object.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Still, with PC being or at least trying to be imposed on Bond it was good to see bad guys be bad guys. That slap down Hinx gave Swann paid many debts.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Still, with PC being or at least trying to be imposed on Bond it was good to see bad guys be bad guys. That slap down Hinx gave Swann paid many debts.

Indeed. And the sound of it, at least in the theater, was borderline sickening, as it should be.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Hinx is the new Connery.
    Hinx is the new Connery.

:))

Didn't Hinx use the back of his hand? That's kind of like an open palm isn't it so it's fine on the Sean scale of giving a woman a slap.
  • That moment where Hinx bursts through the doors after he's thrown Bond through them is some fantastic physical acting from Bautista. You really feel him in that scene.