Bond vs Hinx - Where does it rank among other fight scenes in the series?

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    That moment where Hinx bursts through the doors after he's thrown Bond through them is some fantastic physical acting from Bautista. You really feel him in that scene.

=D>
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Recommend Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Vertigo. In my opinion, the top three films ever made. There's a bunch of others, but these three stand out, for me.

I personally find Vertigo to be Hitchcock's most overrated work. Psycho is also overrated, but is deserving of its title as Hitchcock's best (and perhaps the best film of the 60's). Rear Window, North by Northwest and even Dial M For Murder are better than Vertigo in my opinion - then again, all of these were great films. So is Marnie - hats off to Connery there.
    Rebecca is very good, I forgot about that.

The only one I didn't like was The Birds.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I think The Birds is an incredibly weak film. It has it's moments but is nowhere near his best work.
    I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call it an "incredibly" weak film, but I do agree that it's quite lacklustre in comparison to just about every other film Hitchcock's made (and that I've seen) and is probably his worst (definitely his worst out of the ones I've seen).
    I watched it a couple of weeks ago and remember thinking, If it didn't have Hitch's name on it would be a forgotten film. Compared to his other, stronger efforts it's "incredibly" weak. Compared to those of other filmmakers it's average.
    I will say this, it is a great concept and a better film could be made from the same ideas.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,984
    Didn't they release some "modernized" version with more or less the same concept and horrible CGI? It turned out to be a far worse version. Can't remember the name of the film, but it received universally scathing reviews.
    Possibly, but in the right hands....
    Indeed.

I'm sure you've already realized this, but just about every remake of Hitchcock's films or films with virtually identical themes/plots always turn out to be bad. Hitchcock had a way of selling the stuff that almost nobody else could.
    Indeed.
  • Didn't they release some "modernized" version with more or less the same concept and horrible CGI? It turned out to be a far worse version. Can't remember the name of the film, but it received universally scathing reviews.

You mean Birdemic?
    @IncompetentHenchman - Yes, that was the one.
  • I hear it was particularly awful.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I find Hitchcock's THE BIRDS to be quite suspenseful and effective. By the way, it's his only film to actually involve the supernatural.

But is it supernatural or is it just nature run amok? I've never seen it as supernatural.

For me, Hitchcock:

1. North by Northwest
    2. Rear Window
    3. Vertigo
    4. To Catch a Thief
    5. Psycho
    6. The Man Who Knew Too Much ((1956 version)
    7. Notorious
    8. The Birds
    9. Frenzy
    10. Dial M for Murder
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    That moment where Hinx bursts through the doors after he's thrown Bond through them is some fantastic physical acting from Bautista. You really feel him in that scene.

I always think that, too, and I also love how he casually checks his hands after killing Guerra.
  • Rebecca is very good, I forgot about that.

The only one I didn't like was The Birds.

If you've never seen The Trouble with Harry, I highly recommend it. Not Hitch's best, but very much underrated.

• Yeah, Bautista gives a good physical performance (which is an often unappreciated form of acting, I think) throughout the film but particularly in that fight with Bond.

@Birdleson, Vertigo is also my #1, and I also really appreciate The Birds. People bash it because it's a bit dated, but it's only dated because of how damn ambitious it is. Not his best film by any means.

The one film everyone else loves that I don't as much is North by Northwest, which i respect moreso than I love.

Huge fan of Shadow of a Dobut and Rebecca as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117
    TripAces wrote: »
    For me, Hitchcock:

1. North by Northwest
    2. Rear Window
    3. Vertigo
    4. To Catch a Thief
    5. Psycho
    7. Notorious
    8. The Birds
    9. Frenzy
    10. Dial M for Murder

No The 39 Steps!??!

The orginal spy film and still one of the best.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Well dressed gentleman, getting in various scrapes, thrilling action scenes. Romance by train.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    1. North by Northwest
    2. To Catch a Thief
    3. Rear Window
    4. Dial M for Murder
    5. Marnie
    6. Torn Curtain
    7. Rope
    8. Vertigo
    9. Rebecca
    10. Notorious
    11. The Birds
    12. Strangers on a Train (saw it for the first time yesterday. A little too dated for me but nice premise. I would like a remake as was rumoured a year or so ago).
    13. Psycho
    14. Frenzy

I haven't seen 39 Steps.

North By Northwest is my favourite film of all time. Cary Grant at his best.
    TripAces wrote: »
    For me, Hitchcock:

1. North by Northwest
    2. Rear Window
    3. Vertigo
    4. To Catch a Thief
    5. Psycho
    7. Notorious
    8. The Birds
    9. Frenzy
    10. Dial M for Murder

No The 39 Steps!??!

The orginal spy film and still one of the best.

It isn't in my top 10...but this doesn't mean I dislike it. I also love Suspicion and Rope, as well as The Trouble with Harry
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    bondjames wrote: »
    1. North by Northwest
    2. To Catch a Thief
    3. Rear Window
    4. Dial M for Murder
    5. Marnie
    6. Torn Curtain
    7. Rope
    8. Vertigo
    9. Rebecca
    10. Notorious
    11. The Birds
    12. Strangers on a Train (saw it for the first time yesterday. A little too dated for me but nice premise. I would like a remake as was rumoured a year or so ago).
    13. Psycho
    14. Frenzy

I haven't seen 39 Steps.

Just reading that fine list (not saying I agree with all of your choices) makes me feel ashamed at the Hitchcock films I have on DVD. I only own the NBN 50th anniversary bluray, Psycho bluray and 39 Steps DVD.

That's really not enough is it?

You're right though. Cary Grant is fabulous and sets the template for Roger Moore style adventure romps.

Love the auction scene when he's on his way out 'Sorry old man, keep trying'.

edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    1. North by Northwest
    2. To Catch a Thief
    3. Rear Window
    4. Dial M for Murder
    5. Marnie
    6. Torn Curtain
    7. Rope
    8. Vertigo
    9. Rebecca
    10. Notorious
    11. The Birds
    13. Psycho
    14. Frenzy

I haven't seen 39 Steps.

Just reading that fine list (not saying I agree with all of your choices) makes me feel ashamed at the Hitchcock films I have on DVD. I only own the NBN 50th anniversary bluray, Psycho bluray and 39 Steps DVD.

That's really not enough is it?

You're right though. Cary Grant is fabulous and sets the template for Roger Moore style adventure romps.

Love the auction scene when he's on his way out 'Sorry old man, keep trying'.
    If you're going to pick up more, I recommend getting them on blu ray if you can. There are some great deals on the blu ray boxsets from time to time, particularly in the UK. The US versions are overpriced. I had the NbNW standalone 50th anniversary blu ray before.

I wanted to get Dial M for Murder, and found out it was packaged with North By Northwest and Strangers On A Train in a UK set for a great price, so I sold my standalone 50th anniv. copy for a reasonable price, and picked up the box set instead.

Unfortunately, not all of the films are properly remastered. Dial M For Murder looks badly washed out. Strangers on a Train, despite being black and white, is much better. So are Rebecca and Notorious (despite also being b & w). Very sharp.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    @ThighsOfXenia NORTH BY NORTHWEST is very similar to a Bond film in several ways.

I know, I"ve seen it.

Yeah, North By Northwest is perhaps the best spy film ever. I also forgot about Shadow of a Doubt which I also really liked.

If you've never seen The Trouble with Harry, I highly recommend it. Not Hitch's best, but very much underrated.

I believe I've seen that. It's a bit of an unusual film (then again, weren't all of Hitchcock's?) but it was genuinely suspenseful.
  • Soooooooooooooooooooooooo how did a thread about Bond vs Hinx suddenly transform into a 'what's your favourite Hitchcock movie' discussion?
    Is bondjames list upside down? Both Psycho and the brilliant Frenzy are his best for me!
    Back on topic, that Bond/Hinx fight is way up there with the Bond/Grant one.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,984
    1. North by Northwest
    2. To Catch a Thief
    3. Rear Window
    4. Dial M for Murder
    5. Marnie
    6. Torn Curtain
    7. Rope
    8. Vertigo
    9. Rebecca
    10. Notorious
    11. The Birds
    13. Psycho
    14. Frenzy

I haven't seen 39 Steps.

Quite a strange ranking. I'm especially curious to see why Psycho is a couple places below The Birds, considering it's more tense/suspenseful, better written with better characters, and is a far more terrifying prospect to contemplate. It was also a vastly greater impact in its respective genre.

I like seeing North by Northwest, Rear Window and Dial M for Murder up so high, though. These are some of my favorites and have received a lot of critical acclaim, and quite deservingly so in my opinion.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Regarding my list, I'd like to clarify why I rank Psycho so low. I saw it first when I was quite young, and apart from the shower scene, I found it more disturbing that suspenseful. However, I didn't have a dislike for it or anything.

Then in the 90's (I think) I saw a Gus Van Sant remake starring Vince Vaughan which was so poor I wanted to walk out of the theatre. I also purchased and watched Psycho 2 and 3 (I think these were tv movies). By the end of it all I was just completely done/exhausted with the whole premise of mother issues and a motel. So perhaps I'm a little biased.

I realize I rank Dial M for Murder higher than most. The reason being I love 'play' style films in one setting. It's all about the dialogue and the acting in these instances, and the ability to hold one's attention with this. I think Ray Milland is just brilliant (when he proposes the crime to his Oxbridge buddy, the glee on his face is chilling) as is Grace Kelly. Love this film. I also am a huge fan of the pseudo remake (A Perfect Murder) starring Michael Douglas, Gwyneth Paltrow and Viggo Mortensen.

I rank The Birds higher than Psycho because my earliest impressions of the film (when these things really tend to stick) was just much more positive. I was frightened by the way the birds attacked. I wonder if I'll feel the same way if I watch the film now (it's been many years). Perhaps not.

I rank Marnie high because of the incredible Sean Connery ("well, now that we've established that you're a thief and a liar"), Tippi Hedren (superb, disturbed and unhinged performance) and Diane Baker.

Frenzy never did anything for me. The drab 70's aesthetic killed the mood as well.