No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited February 2016 Posts: 3,333
    Yes, I agree with your comments, @AlexanderWaverly. So Digital Spy claims: However, his rep has said that no decision has been made, and although he will film Purity​ it doesn't necessarily mean he can't do both.

Well, at least Digital Spy aren't denying the Purity rumour. Whether you believe their statement to be true or not, it still brings me back to the problem of conflicting shooting schedules. Whether Craig has quit or whether he hasn't, he's clearly not so eager to jump back into Bond's skin for quite a while yet - if at all.

And even if he is interested in doing another, it'll mean waiting a further 3 years before we get to see Bond 25 at the very least. Call me fussy, but I don't care whether you sleep wearing Daniel Craig's iconography festooned all over your pajamas (@The_Reaper) or have a lock of his hair in a keepsake bracelet - that's way too long to wait for the next Bond movie, Craig fan or not. As much as I love Craig as 007, if it means further delaying another Bond movie, I say replace him. The next Bond movie needs to be in theatres by 2017.
    As with all things in the media, it's as much about perception as it is reality (as with his previous comments) , so announcing other commitments in such a way and encouraging discussions/rumours/speculation like this gives the impression of a lack of commitment to Bond so more bad PR I am afriad.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with your comments, @AlexanderWaverly. So Digital Spy claims: However, his rep has said that no decision has been made, and although he will film Purity​ it doesn't necessarily mean he can't do both.

Well, at least Digital Spy aren't denying the Purity rumour. Whether you believe their statement to be true or not, it still brings me back to the problem of conflicting shooting schedules. Whether Craig has quit or whether he hasn't, he's clearly not so eager to jump back into Bond's skin for quite a while yet - if at all.

And even if he is interested in doing another, it'll mean waiting a further 3 years before we get to see Bond 25 at the very least. Call me fussy, but I don't care whether you sleep wearing Daniel Craig's iconography festooned all over your pajamas (@The_Reaper) or have a lock of his hair in a keepsake bracelet - that's way too long to wait for the next Bond movie, Craig fan or not. As much as I love Craig as 007, if it means further delaying another Bond movie, I say replace him. The next Bond movie needs to be in theatres by 2017.

I like Craig but whatever he does is whatever he does. What I'm saying here is that people on this forum read something that even hints at him leaving and they throw up their hands and say, "Whelp! He's done. That's it!" Please. Instead of being reactionary and believing the hoopla and the negative, sensational press, look at the facts. Money talks, BS walks. Craig will be back.

When the MGM crisis happened back after QoS, so many people here were saying the same thing. "I knew he would be like Dalton! I knew he'd only do two Bond films! He's done. It's over!" Blah, blah. Crying ninnies.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    This thread is turning into quite the soap opera.

Everyone quick to call Dan out while the throne is still warm...largely because he's still sitting in it!

All these garbage tabloids slinging false stories to get viewership, each using that tired old "wrist slashing" gag that Dan made with the hopes that people would be able to use their brains and tell that he was having a larf. Christ, have we become that thick?

As @DonnyDB5 has said, post SP there's still a major sense of incompletion in the era. Sure, Blofeld is captured and Bond is off with Madeleine, but that is a false resolution. There's no way it's going to just end there, what with ESB being Bond's Moriarty and that look of hatred that spills out of his eyes at James when he's laying out on the bridge. We deserve one last rousing confrontation between them in Dan's swan song film, and I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

I hope an announcement comes soon, because I don't know how much more of this tabloid BS I can take, along with everyone else making the irrational leap that Dan is out of the game. Hardly.
  • This thread is turning into quite the soap opera.

Everyone quick to call Dan out while the throne is still warm...largely because he's still sitting in it!

All these garbage tabloids slinging false stories to get viewership, each using that tired old "wrist slashing" gag that Dan made with the hopes that people would be able to use their brains and tell that he was having a larf. Christ, have we become that thick?

As @DonnyDB5 has said, post SP there's still a major sense of incompletion in the era. Sure, Blofeld is captured and Bond is off with Madeleine, but that is a false resolution. There's no way it's going to just end there, what with ESB being Bond's Moriarty and that look of hatred that spills out of his eyes at James when he's laying out on the bridge. We deserve one last rousing confrontation between them in Dan's swan song film, and I think that's exactly what's going to happen.

I hope an announcement comes soon, because I don't know how much more of this tabloid BS I can take, along with everyone else making the irrational leap that Dan is out of the game. Hardly.

I would prefer Craig to stay for 1 more, I really would, but that's because I think he's been brilliant and the best Bond since Connery. But having watched Spectre again yesterday, it does sort of conclude Craig's "arc". He finally seems to have found some solace and has the opportunity to leave behind all the killing and darkness that has been his life for so long. It's as close to a happy ending as this incarnation of Bond will likely enjoy. If he returns, I can see it being because Bond's lover, Swann, has met a bloody end at the hands of Blodfeld, and Bond returns for one last mission - or something like that. So don't see how another REVENGE story would appeal to Daniel Craig to be honest. We'll know for sure in a couple of months.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

I like Craig but whatever he does is whatever he does. What I'm saying here is that people on this forum read something that even hints at him leaving and they throw up their hands and say, "Whelp! He's done. That's it!" Please. Instead of being reactionary and believing the hoopla and the negative, sensational press, look at the facts. Money talks, BS walks. Craig will be back.

When the MGM crisis happened back after QoS, so many people here were saying the same thing. "I knew he would be like Dalton! I knew he'd only do two Bond films! He's done. It's over!" Blah, blah. Crying ninnies.
    Only one being reactionary round here is you, @Grim. Eat my shorts :P
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Sounds like it could be part of negotiations as well. Haven't there been many cases where Sean or Rog always made it seem 50/50 that they might stay/leave to give them leverage in getting more money for another film? The one thing those negotiations did not do was hold up shooting. There was always a 2 year gap between those eras.

It's a different era in film making where 3-4 year gaps are more normal, but I do hope this doesn't hold up things too much.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    I just don't want three years before the next one. Christmas of 17 works.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    I'm sure EON knows how to structure a decent deal and protect the franchise. Nothing to worry about here in my view.

Well the last time they fought hard for a better deal, we had a 6 years hiatus.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

"According to The Sun and other newspapers, the 47-year-old is quitting the franchise after signing up for a US TV series.

=))

The Sun? The same newspaper which back in 2013 reported that Bond 24 would be titled "Devil May Care"?

:))
    I remember a a certain tabloid claiming that the whole series was over during the MGM stuff that delayed Skyfall, take tabloids with a pinch of salt.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Nobody knows anything at this point.

Give it a month or so, and then hope that EON makes an announcement once the studio negotiations are completed to put this thing to rest for once and all.

I know they normally like to let the rumours percolate (it keeps Bond in the press after all), but as mentioned, Craig's comments always get brought up with the rumour these days, which is not good for Bond in my view, so I think this time around it's better to have clarity sooner rather than later.
    Seems to me like the rep was just saying Craig isn't "officially" done yet. At this point, to me, it looks more likely than not Craig wants to move on from Bond.
  • Look, we all know one thing, Craig is definitely done with Bond. Unless he isn't.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Yes, let's wait for the confirmation.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    Look, we all know one thing, Craig is definitely done with Bond. Unless he isn't.

=))

My bet is that he's done what he wanted to with the character, and his knee hurts every single day (twice as much when it's cold), so he'll hand it over to someone else.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I wouldn't personally be taking anything seriously unless an official announcement from the people who own the Bond IP is made. Rumour this and rumour that, what was it that Bond said 20 years ago?

"They'll print anything these days."
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    This thread is turning into quite the soap opera.

Amen to this! I'm awaiting an announcement as well. Can't stand all the suspense/gossip/rumors.

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Yes, sometimes it's more prudent to just sit back and wait, while the media make complete donkeys of themselves. With all that went on with SP from preproduction to after its release, I've found my energy levels for my beloved franchise waning significantly. Been told too many conflicting stories and been let down too many times to really battery an eyelid. When official news comes it comes.
    Really? Anybody still believes, they will be able to START filming this year? This is so sad, its almost funny. With or without DC, not gonna happen. They said, they might start with the script in spring. March/ April? IF at all and then what? Locations, cast, everything ready by Nov/ Dec? They have to deal with other stuff right now on top.
    Imply some logic at times, folks.

And HOW did he announce a new project, that is offensive? The media announced it in a perfectly usual way. Of course, some may think, he is not allowed to do other stuff. Then of course. How dare he?
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Of course he will do other work. As he should. He is a fine, and popular, actor that other actors and directors want to work with. It's a career. That is all good. Honestly, it gets to be too much, the constant - he is leaving/he is staying; I want him to go/I want him to stay ...

We shall see. I'm not stressed about this. I do think all thoughts of Craig being finished as Bond are far too premature. A new Bond film will be, I think, no sooner than 2018. The script takes times (often far too much time); they will not be filming for the next Bond film at all this year, that I would bet big money on. A 2 year gap between Bond films is a dream, I think. I don't mind too much, as long as quality prevails and it is not longer than a 3 year gap.
  • Yeah I think a 3 year gap is looking more like the norm these days. Of the last six films, only once was there a two year gap between films. And the result of that was QOS. Cough.

Although, there's nothing stopping them putting a film out in the summer (of '18?). Maybe whichever new studio they partner with would prefer this. (And because it seems like every end of year is now going to have a Star Wars film to go up against).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Again, whether he returns or not, the earliest we'll be getting Bond 25 is 2018, so buckle down and patiently await the news or whether or not Craig does indeed decide to return. No need to jump to conclusions or assume we know anything concrete just yet.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    And all those calling for EON not to wait on Dan should realize that right now, he's the one waiting on all them. They've got a lot of deals to settle, including the biggie, distribution. Right now it's Dan playing the waiting game, not the other way around, and he shouldn't be chided for pursuing work in the meantime. Trust me, if he wanted to be done with Bond, he would let Barbara and Michael know. He's not going to pull a Mendes and think on it for months in silence before turning around and saying yes when gears have already started moving in another direction.

Dan understands what goes into these kinds of exhausting projects and how precious time is. He doesn't jerk people around when they're his partners in a professional enterprise. He saves all that funny business for his promotional interviews, god love him. ;)
  • Correct. I'm sure there must have been some conversation between them along the lines of not much is going to move forward on this in 2016, so feel free to do other projects in the meantime.
  • MyNameIsMyBondRnMyNameIsMyBondRn WhereYouLeastExpectMeToBe
    We have a tragedy going on in the midst of ourselves..A tradegy in the perfect style of the greeks´Drama-but without the escape hatch usually embedded into the dramatic politic´s of today.Both Bond knows and God for that matter, on his dramatic ending...if any!-he´s probably swollowing it with a very dry and wryly put martini..!(Laughing..)!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Nice to see Yahoo Movies UK has jumped on this opportunity to make yet another list of possible Bond actors, including the typical nominations alongside some REAL winners like Sam Worthington. I'd assume someone from the UK may be more knowledgable on proper actors to nominate.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 14,831
    I want Daniel Craig to stay, but a negative statement is far weaker than a positive one.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Of course, some may think, he is not allowed to do other stuff. Then of course. How dare he?

He's a fine actor and he should definitely do other stuff as well. It's a long overdue.

When it comes to Bond, I can completely understand if he wants to move on. As @chrisisall said, if he thinks he's done what he wanted with the character, then he should quit. There probably isn't much more that he can do with it creatively, and playing Bond by the numbers isn't his thing. He's been saying that from the beginning.

If he stays, it will be for the money, and that's okay too.

post SP there's still a major sense of incompletion in the era. Sure, Blofeld is captured and Bond is off with Madeleine, but that is a false resolution. There's no way it's going to just end there

I think you could look at it both ways.

He's gone from rookie to retirement, he got the girl, Blofeld is in prison. He didn't kill him because he wanted to stop killing people, and move on to peaceful and more meaningful life. To me, that's a completed story.

On the other hand, I can understand if someone doesn't like it that way, and wants to see them going for another round. That's a perfectly legitimate way to look at it.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    post SP there's still a major sense of incompletion in the era. Sure, Blofeld is captured and Bond is off with Madeleine, but that is a false resolution. There's no way it's going to just end there

I think you could look at it both ways.

He's gone from rookie to retirement, he got the girl, Blofeld is in prison. He didn't kill him because he wanted to stop killing people, and move on to peaceful and more meaningful life. To me, that's a completed story.

On the other hand, I can understand if someone doesn't like it that way, and wants to see them going for another round. That's a perfectly legitimate way to look at it.
    I agree. If you look at SP as a Blofeld reboot introduction story, then it's mission accomplished and they can all move on. If however you look at it as the start to playing out some of the stuff in YOLT novel etc. then it's a different story.

The one theme I don't think DC will be interested in is to return for a standalone story. What's the point? He might as well move on and let the new fella take the baton. It's only if there is some kind of continuation to SP that I see him returning for one more, and perhaps the studio negotiations will determine whether that's going to happen or not, which is why the ending of the film (convoluted though it may be) suggests they can go any way they want to, depending on the outcome.