No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Birdleson wrote: »
    However, I agree. I don't think they would work as Bond villains. The scale is too small.

i think that's just what we need.

That's a fair point, too.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    However, I agree. I don't think they would work as Bond villains. The scale is too small.

i think that's just what we need.

That's a fair point, too.

I think it's more like, too close to home. Bond villains, at least in movies, are often as unaffiliated as they can be. I don't know if anyone can find the IRA as a villain entertaining and escapist enough.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Again, if the plot involved Mallory being captured by SPECTRE, the organization could frame the IRA instead of having the IRA actually be the villain. None of this will come to pass anyway, but thought I'd express that.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Again, if the plot involved Mallory being captured by SPECTRE, the organization could frame the IRA instead of having the IRA actually be the villain. None of this will come to pass anyway, but thought I'd express that.

If things keep going the way they're going then that could be extremely current at the time, too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, I felt the same way as I commented above. All of a sudden I realized I need my Jack Ryan fix (sans Shadow Recruit of course). I agree, when I think of Clear and Present Danger, I immediately think of that convoy attack. Sicario reminded me so much of that too.

Really even the Ben Affleck one Sum of all fears?

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Risico007 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    @DaltonCraig007, I felt the same way as I commented above. All of a sudden I realized I need my Jack Ryan fix (sans Shadow Recruit of course). I agree, when I think of Clear and Present Danger, I immediately think of that convoy attack. Sicario reminded me so much of that too.

Really even the Ben Affleck one Sum of all fears?
    I've grown to like Sum of All Fears a lot more, although I didn't enjoy it when it came out. Affleck has grown in stature since then as an actor, and the superb Liev Schreiber has a cameo. Also, I really enjoyed the back channel at at key point in the film, when Ryan has a direct line to the Russian PM and is trying to defuse the crisis that occured after the bomb went off. It's no Baldwin or Ford Ryan film, but I can take it. Shadow Recruit on the other hand, no thank you. Once is more than enough for that one.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I didn't see this one coming. So he's got a play and possibly this.

It's a smart move for him, because tv shows these days are providing excellent avenues for story and characterization. More so than film. He can see how it goes and if he likes the experience I'm sure there will be more opportunities, perhaps to get the lead in his own recurring show like many of his contemporaries.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Wondering what that means for Bond.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 709
    Wondering what that means for Bond.

Everything. Or nothing. :) Ultimately if he wants to do another Bond, he'll do another Bond!

The key word is that it's a "limited" series which I assume means film one lot of episodes and it's done, like a season of True Detective etc. So it's really no different than if it was a report about him signing on to do a movie. We see plenty of stars like Matthew McConaughey, Tom Hardy, Rachel McAdams, Melissa McCarthy etc move between TV and film so this is pretty much the norm.

Still, he's got this and Othello, so he has a pretty busy 2016-17? Perhaps this means a Bond 25 with Daniel Craig won't happen until 2018. And we haven't heard anything new about what studio EON will partner with, so everything is still up in the air.

I'm amused at the character description here : " Andreas, a charismatic German provocateur, the role Craig is expected to play. He heads a South America-based organization that traffics in all the secrets of the world where Pip gets an internship in search of her identity."

Sounds like a cross between Raoul Silva and Blofeld!
    I'm still undecided if I really want Craig back. I'd say yes in a heartbeat if I knew the story was good, and more traditional Bond this time around. I like all four of his Bond films a lot, but I'm ready for a more straight-up, not-so-emotional Bond flick from him. If the film turned out to be too melodramatic and ended up being SP Pt. 2, I'm not so sure I'd like it too much. If and when he does leave the role, I can only hope for a good replacement.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SP is about as traditional as I'm comfortable with a Craig era Bond film getting. Any more than that and I don't know how I'd feel. I also wouldn't characterize it as an emotional flick either, especially in comparison to what came before.
    IF Bond 25 is being released Nov 2018, Craig will need to be ready by middle of 2017, even earlier to have involvement in the script.

I think we will know by the end of this year if Craig is returning, the release date, & director.

If we dont hear anything this year then that means Craig is done IMO.
    Which means Hiddleston should come in earlier then expected but I am hoping for Craig to do one more honestly
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I don't want Hiddleston. Nobody on the near horizon fills the bill for me. I def. want Craig for one more and it is far more suitable for the storytelling if he is.
    Dan is coming back. I'd bet my life on it, it's such a certainty. The other details outside of his involvement are what concern me.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    I pray he returns. Please, please, please let him return. Just one more.
    I suspect that Craig will return, but I can't say that I'm particularly bothered one way or the other as to whether he does or not.
    It'll certainly be a sad day for me when Dan exits. I honestly can't conceive of loving this franchise more than I have these past ten years ever again, and that's a hard pill to swallow. I truly feel fortunate to have experienced these impactful films during my formative years. They've provided me with many hours of enjoyment and rumination about far greater issues than most blockbusters would dare to supply. They've made Bond a living, breathing multi-dimensional man who feels more real than he ever has before. Truly lightning trapped in a bottle.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Hiddleston is doing his own spy series based on a John Le Carre novel. I don't believe for a moment he'd be on board. And besides, I don't want either him or his half-fraternal twin Michael Fassbender (even though, he played a fascinating spy in Inglourious Basterds). And yes, Daniel Craig will return.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 12,258
    It'll be hard for me to swallow Craig's exit from Bond as well. He's pretty much tied with Connery as my favorite Bond, and I've had a really good time with his run of Bond films. All 4 of them make my Top 15 as of now. I really hope they give him an amazing sendoff if he is coming back for one more, because I doubt there'll be more than one more (if there is one). The next Bond has very large shoes to fill.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I'd like to see him do two more Blofeld films because Christoph Waltz is so great in the role. Let's have another Blofeld trilogy.
    Here's my assumption:

Craig will be quite busy for Othello stage play this year. Meaning little time for the 25th Bond film will be provided.

I also assume he will land in the role for the Purity miniseries, which I gather will be occupying his spare time throughout the next year (2017), and also leave little time for the development of Bond 25.

Yes, he will return. I know he will. I can feel it.

So most likely, if my assumptions and predictions are correct, we won't see the next film in the series until 2019, which I believe will be the first of a two-parter as Craig will shoot it back to back, with the second one coming out in 2020, following the Avengers/Harry Potter (Part I and Part II style) pattern. The next story arc in two films will be the grand finale for Craig's Bond and the Blofeld saga.

That's how I see it.
    With the way the films are shot now, I don't foresee back-to-back films ever happening. I see Dan coming back for one last ride, and nothing more. I'd like him to continue on, obviously, but it's just not realistic at this point.
    You never know. None of us do.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    double post
    Craig is supposed to act, not develop or write. I´d be more than happy if he was occupied with other stuff right up to shooting the next Bond. Being occupied with other stuff would also charge him in a positive way, so he could concentrate properly on Bond when the time comes.
    I don't see back-to-back happening either. The last one was very physically demanding on Craig, and the shoots on these films take so long now. Doing back-to-back would have them shooting for almost a year straight at the very least. There's just no way they're going to do that.

Couple that with Craig growing tired of the role, and I just don't see it happening.
    How this idea is still talked about is beyond me. I thought, he made it clear to the world and not only for himself. "I'd rather shlash my wrists" Now, to me, this is very clear.
    dalton wrote: »
    I don't see back-to-back happening either. The last one was very physically demanding on Craig, and the shoots on these films take so long now. Doing back-to-back would have them shooting for almost a year straight at the very least. There's just no way they're going to do that.

Couple that with Craig growing tired of the role, and I just don't see it happening.

Dan himself has shot holes through that. Just another case of the media being too ignorant to see that he was employing that classic dry humor of his in many SP interviews. Of course, because confusing the press has become something of a pastime for Dan in recent years, it's getting harder and harder to tell truth from farce.