No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think Fiennes wants to stay on long anyway. He doesn't strike me as a kept man when it comes to movie contracts.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Whishaw and Harris aren't unknowns at all. Desmond Llewellyn, Samantha Bond and Caroline Bliss were more of unknowns than the new Q and Moneypenny. Whishaw is well known in his country long before he was given a part in the Bond series, and Naomie Harris made appearances in multi-national films (whether they were American or British). And I wouldn't call Fiennes less of a famous actor than Judi, he's very close to being on the same level as hers. Schindler's List, The English Patient, The Constant Gardener, The Avengers (John Steed's Avengers, not Marvel), Red Dragon, anyone? And these are only outside of the Harry Potter film series yet.

Now, on casting the regulars in a post-Craig era, I personally believe it will discontinue the chronology started in 2006, and start a new one. Bond will be an experienced operative, but it will exist in a different continuation.
    I
    Whishaw and Harris aren't unknowns at all. Desmond Llewellyn, Samantha Bond and Caroline Bliss were more of unknowns than the new Q and Moneypenny. Whishaw is well known in his country long before he was given a part in the Bond series, and Naomie Harris made appearances in multi-national films (whether they were American or British). And I wouldn't call Fiennes less of a famous actor than Judi, he's very close to being on the same level as hers. Schindler's List, The English Patient, The Constant Gardener, The Avengers (John Steed's Avengers, not Marvel), Red Dragon, anyone? And these are only outside of the Harry Potter film series yet.

Now, on casting the regulars in a post-Craig era, I personally believe it will discontinue the chronology started in 2006, and start a new one. Bond will be an experienced operative, but it will exist in a different continuation.

I agree. I think we'll get the full crew back for 25 if Craig returns for one more, but after he goes whether it's now or before 26, I too think we'll then get a new crew of supporting actors.

smitty wrote: »
    I

I agree. I think we'll get the full crew back for 25 if Craig returns for one more, but after he goes whether it's now or before 26, I too think we'll then get a new crew of supporting actors.
    Agreed. The same crew we have now in the cast will return if Craig does. I believe he will return for the 25th. But, once he leaves, the whole characters will be recast. That's my belief.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    When Craig leaves, the supporting cast will stick around. Mark my words, you heard it here first, folks.
    Only time will tell, as they say.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,117

Yeah I'm sure Ralph lists The Avengers 4th on his CV ahead of stuff like Quiz Show, The End of the Affair, Corialanus and Grand Budapest Hotel too.

What I don't get is all these people saying 'if you're paying Ralph Fiennes X amount of millions to be in the film he's not going to settle for only being in it 5 minutes.'

Why not? You pay him the Ralph Fiennes rate for one or two days shooting. If you've written a script that features him running around with a gun that takes a week to shoot it's going to cost more.

He strikes me as happy enough to do this but only as long as it doesn't interfere with his other projects so I don't see why he wouldn't be happy to just do the standard M role. And if he wouldn't I'm sure there are some big name thesps in the Patrick Stewart/Ian Mckellen/Michael Gambon (although I think they are all too old) who would be happy to pick up the paycheck for 20 years.

Ben and Naomie are young enough to go on for another 15 years or so just need an M to go with them. If that's Ralph then fine or if not someone of a similar calibre after Dan goes but spell it out at the beginning 1) you're signing up for at least 5 films 2)90% of the time you will just be sitting behind a desk and only in the film for 5 to 10 mins.
    Yeah I'm sure Ralph lists The Avengers 4th on his CV ahead of stuff like Quiz Show, The End of the Affair, Corialanus and Grand Budapest Hotel too.
    I was sure that was going to attract someone's attention to say the least. I wasn't speaking on behalf of Ralph, I was speaking for myself, just to point out. And yes, I do like The Avengers and don't comprehend the hate for it when it is actually closer to the television series than some of the other film adaptations of a certain something. Now, will I be facing the firing squad for that?
  • RC7RC7
    What I don't get is all these people saying 'if you're paying Ralph Fiennes X amount of millions to be in the film he's not going to settle for only being in it 5 minutes.'

Why not? You pay him the Ralph Fiennes rate for one or two days shooting. If you've written a script that features him running around with a gun that takes a week to shoot it's going to cost more.

He strikes me as happy enough to do this but only as long as it doesn't interfere with his other projects so I don't see why he wouldn't be happy to just do the standard M role. .

Exactly. I've said this before.
    I was sure that was going to attract someone's attention to say the least. I wasn't speaking on behalf of Ralph, I was speaking for myself, just to point out. And yes, I do like The Avengers and don't comprehend the hate for it when it is actually closer to the television series than some of the other film adaptations of a certain something. Now, will I be facing the firing squad for that?

Not at all. I've never even seen it (which I should given its pretty much the only Connery film I havent seen) but I thought that rather than listing your favourite Fiennes films, the point you were making is that Ralph was on a level with Judi Dench and citing this as an example is not a good way to make your point.

Not at all. I've never even seen it (which I should given its pretty much the only Connery film I havent seen) but I thought that rather than listing your favourite Fiennes films, the point you were making is that Ralph was on a level with Judi Dench and citing this as an example is not a good way to make your point.
    I agree, since The Avengers itself was not critically welcomed, he'd never list them among the highlights of his career. There are other films he made that should be known internationally but aren't recognizable enough, such as In Bruges and even Coriolanus, with both of them being spectacular ones. Such a shame the latter bombed at the box office. He's a great stage actor, too. I believe in years to come, he will be considered as great as Dame Judi Dench.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    You're an inanimate f****** object!
    doubleoego wrote: »

:)) Gotta love Harry Waters.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    We are mentioning Ralph Fiennes' filmography, and not a word on 'The Constant Gardener'? That's quite possible my favorite performance of his.
    We are mentioning Ralph Fiennes' filmography, and not a word on 'The Constant Gardener'? That's quite possible my favorite performance of his.
    You missed it, my friend. It's up there. ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    You missed it, my friend. It's up there. ;)

Ah yes, I must have read too fast. Thanks. Wiz put all the attention on 'The Avengers'. ;)
    doubleoego wrote: »

:)) Gotta love Harry Waters.

The man had his principles
    :))
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    I quite like what they've done with Ben Whishaw's Q. But I would be happy for Moneypenny and Q to disappear from the series. Llewelyn made the part his own - and the whole 'we don't really go in for that anymore' pretty much makes the character redundant. I think they need to decide if they do or don't want to have gadgets in the Bonds films now. I mean they still have gadgets in M:I films so why this, oh everyone has an iphone now so gadgets are redundant?

I'd have liked it if they'd kept Villiers and had Loelia Ponsonby instead of Moneypenny.

And through all this debate Rory Kinnear has done what he does best and just kept his head down and been invisible hoping no one will notice he's still there picking up his money.

The sooner we get rid of this nonentity the better. If we're going to have Tanner in the films (personally I think he's rather superfluous) then someone like Mark Strong or Damian Lewis should get the job when the next Bond takes over. This guy is 1) second in command to M so needs to have some sort of presence and 2) Bond's friend so needs a personality.

Can you seriously envisage Bond going for a round of golf and a drink with Rory?

'Sorry Rory the 5 minutes are up. Strict rules of golf. You can spend all day looking in the rough but you arent going to find your charisma.'
    And through all this debate Rory Kinnear has done what he does best and just kept his head down and been invisible hoping no one will notice he's still there picking up his money.

The sooner we get rid of this nonentity the better. If we're going to have Tanner in the films (personally I think he's rather superfluous) then someone like Mark Strong or Damian Lewis should get the job when the next Bond takes over. This guy is 1) second in command to M so needs to have some sort of presence and 2) Bond's friend so needs a personality.

Can you seriously envisage Bond going for a round of golf and a drink with Rory?

'Sorry Rory the 5 minutes are up. Strict rules of golf. You can spend all day looking in the rough but you arent going to find your charisma.'

He was ok in QoS and SF, but he was redundant in Spectre he didn't need to be there.
    tanaka123 wrote: »

He was ok in QoS and SF, but he was redundant in Spectre he didn't need to be there.

You're right @tanaka123. He is indeed OK. He doesnt trip over the set and he says his lines. My cup runneth the f**k over.

Rory will probably cut that review out and stick on the wall in his dressing room. OK is what he aims for. He is like the international baseline for acting performances. Rory is absolute zero. If you give a really good performance you get a plus score on the Kinnear scale, if you are really shit you get a minus.

But Rory never waivers from OK.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    In Bond yes I can't defend Rory for his efforts there but he has given some great performance in other films and TV series, Bond isn't actually stretching his acting abilities.

Charisma isn't something I would attribute to him as he's more a character actor but with the right material he can be quite compelling.

Though unless Tanner is going to be elevated above his current persona, why bother casting someone as charismatic as Mark Strong?
    Shardlake wrote: »
    In Bond yes I can't defend Rory for his efforts there but he has given some great performance in other films and TV series, Bond isn't actually stretching his acting abilities.

Well I have to say in everything I've ever seen him in he comes across as Ernie Wise to whoever is acting opposite him's Eric Morecambe.
    Though unless Tanner is going to be elevated above his current persona, why bother casting someone as charismatic as Mark Strong?

This is the nub of the problem. If youre going to have Tanner then he needs to be able to carry some authority which Rory simply cannot. But if you do cast someone with that then they are probably just going to come over as M lite.

For B25 I wouldnt mind some kind of rendition of Colonel Sun with SPECTRE kidnapping M to exchange with Blofeld but during the first scene after the PTS where M would get snatched you would have Bond back at MI6 and Tanner calling the shots and with Rory this would just be embarrassing.

But to be honest the MI6 regulars cast seems much too bloated as it is in terms of characters and screen time and the easiest way to steamline it down is by giving Rory a picture of a Spitfire and letting him go.

I can see what they've tried to do by bringing Tanner in to give us a little bit more Fleming but they never really had much of an idea what to do with him and consequently he just spouts a bit of exposition and then stands in the background and to be fair I guess thats not Rory's fault. Its a thankless role really and I doubt we could attract anyone better to sign up for it as written so I think just let him quietly disappear.

If Blofeld or Madeline arent in the next film people will wonder why. If Tanner isnt no one will even notice.
  • RC7RC7

Charisma isn't something I would attribute to him as he's more a character actor but with the right material he can be quite compelling.

This is the main problem. The role has been poorly written in this era, the scene on the Thames in SP is some of the most clunky exposition I've ever seen. There's also the issue that if you didn't know better you might be forgiven for thinking he's just M's PA. He's only been sidelined more with the additions of Q and MP. What annoys me is that there's potential to build a Bond/Tanner relationship, which to me is more interesting than Q and MP. Hopefully further down the line they'll capitalise on this missed opportunity.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Kinnear is superb in Penny Dreadful. I couldn't believe it was the same fella as in the Bond films. So he can deliver if called upon to do so. Just watched SF last night and like others have noted, he wasn't too bad there.
  • RC7RC7
    bondjames wrote: »
    Kinnear is superb in Penny Dreadful. I couldn't believe it was the same fella as in the Bond films. So he can deliver if called upon to do so. Just watched SF last night and like others have noted, he wasn't too bad there.

There are definitely brief glimpses of what he can do in SF, but with each MI6 addition he falls down the pecking order to the point where he is now just Basil Exposition, with no time to build his character.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Yeah Kinnear is a good actor, I think it's just a case that Tanner in the Craig films is such a non-character to begin with.
    Yeah Kinnear is a good actor, I think it's just a case that Tanner in the Craig films is such a non-character to begin with.

Perhaps youre right and I'm being harsh - but then thats what I do isnt it?

Perhaps youre right and I'm being harsh - but then thats what I do isnt it?

I saw Rory's Hamlet at the National Theatre. He was simply superb. Four hours he commanded the stage and it was one of the most compelling stage performances I had seen for a very long time.

The problem is, as already mentioned here, Rory has nothing much to work with on the Bonds. I've met Rory a few times in social situations (lovely fella) and when we were chatting he told me that making his character Tanner was a late decision and an idea of Wade and Purvis who wanted to add another character from the books in QOS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    In terms of Bond allies, I'd rather Felix make a big return in 'Bond 25' and either lose/replace Tanner altogether. As has been stated, he really doesn't contribute a whole lot in the films, don't think they'd be terribly different if he was omitted.