No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Peter Weir, @M_Balje? That's quite a random choice, as talented as the man is.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    P&W aren't needed. Again, I don't think they should even be allowed to buy tickets to B25.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    P&W aren't needed. Again, I don't think they should even be allowed to buy tickets to B25.
    Why not hire Warren Ellis? ;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I'm pretty sure P&W can buy a ticket on their own, they don't need someone else do it for them. ;)
    Personally I don't hate purvis and Wade but I wouldn't mind a fresh perspective I would be fine with Mcquarrie just writing the script I mean Lea Sedaux was in both Ghost Protocol and Spectre ...
    Yes, but McQuarrie had nothing to do with Ghost Protocol.
    Yes Clark I know but he had everything to do with the best mission impossible film period Rogue Nation.

The issue is there are so many good non bond spy thrillers why can't the producers get Mcquarrie (Rogue Nation) Gilroy (Bourne legacy) or any of the taken writers for bond.

Heck I would take a treatment by Mcquarrie with script by butterworth and purvis and Wade because at least the story will be inventive and interesting
    I'd be welcoming McQuarrie to the Bond world as a fan, but Gilroy? Oh no. He's one of the worst writers I've ever known. Imagine if we are complaining about Purvis and Wade, what we'd do with Tony Gilroy handling a Bond story. Just ask Matt Damon how dissatisfied he was (along with Paul Greengrass) with the first three Bourne film scripts that they had to hire a co-writer to reconstruct the screenplays.

Personally, I would have McQuarrie and anyone who knows how to build a good Bond concept and go along with the rest of the development. I wouldn't want either Logan, P&W, Butterworth or even Haggis to come back. Bring a fresh perspective into the crew with a new team. I would very much rather that.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 9,730
    I'd be welcoming McQuarrie to the Bond world as a fan, but Gilroy? Oh no. He's one of the worst writers I've ever known. Imagine if we are complaining about Purvis and Wade, what we'd do with Tony Gilroy handling a Bond story. Just ask Matt Damon how dissatisfied he was (along with Paul Greengrass) with the first three Bourne film scripts that they had to hire a co-writer to reconstruct the screenplays.

Personally, I would have McQuarrie and anyone who knows how to build a good Bond concept and go along with the rest of the development. I wouldn't want either Logan, P&W, Butterworth or even Haggis to come back. Bring a fresh perspective into the crew with a new team. I would very much rather that.
    I forgot I am one of three people (Jermey Renner and Renner's mom being the other two) that loves The Bourne Legacy (though the doctor killing people scene was A bit too brutal and hard to sit through) ignore my Gilroy comment and we shall carry on lol
    No, no... You're not the only one who likes The Bourne Legacy. Allow me to join you on that one. ;)

My choice ...add Jez Butterworth to Bond it up a bit and I'd think you've have something.

My choice ...add Jez Butterworth to Bond it up a bit and I'd think you've have something.
    Now, I don't know about Butterworth, but if he can write memorable lines, and do a good polishing, making Bond stylish than an average joe but also maintain a convincing display in its frame and template, I'd be all for it.
    The less people working on the script, the better. I don't want to see more than two names working on this, from its inception to the finalized script.
    wasn't Matt Wiener (of Mad Men) hired to write bond 25? I thought there was a rumor?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mnhettia wrote: »
    wasn't Matt Wiener (of Mad Men) hired to write bond 25? I thought there was a rumor?
    Just a rumor I'm afraid.
    jake24 wrote: »
    mnhettia wrote: »
    Just a rumor I'm afraid.
    It was a rumour after another [suggestive] article popped up, claiming that the producers of the Bond films will go back to the 1960s after Craig.

Yes, which is why I said "suggestive". No truth in it whatsoever.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Going back to the 60s for the movies is beyond obtuse.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited January 2016 Posts: 10,586
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Going back to the 60s for the movies is beyond obtuse.
    Agreed. Bond films should always reflect the present.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Ralph Fiennes was recently a guest on 'The Graham Norton Show' where he spoke briefly about M. Here is the part relevant to Bond 25:

Graham: [...] We just enjoyed you in your last outing as M in 'SPECTRE'. And now you're sticking with that, you're M forever, for awhile anyway.
    Ralph: I've got one more I think, and then it's up to them whether they want me back.

He also speaks about his on set relationship with Judi Dench in 'Skyfall'
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 9,730
    I am hoping Ralph stays on for at least another 10-15 films he is young enough that he could beat out Lee in terms of most films.

However I am hoping in Bond 25 He gives the mission as Dench gave bond his assignemtn in Spectre.
  • RC7RC7
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am hoping Ralph stays on for at least another 10-15 films he is young enough that he could beat out Lee in terms of most films.

I assume you mean years?
    Thanks for posting that @Red_Snow.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    jake24 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting that @Red_Snow.

Indeed. I hope Fiennes stays for a good few films as M yet.
    It wouldn't be a big deal to me if Fiennes was gone after one more. He's a fine actor, but he's given a rather small role and getting a fat paycheck to boot. There's got to be plenty of Bernard Lee/Robert Brown older types of the British theater that could fill the role and not require the handsome payday. Put that money towards a good writer and keep the "money on the screen" as Cubby Broccoli put it.
    Yea agreed .. bring back Sir Miles!!!!
    It'd certainly assist with the budget in hiring someone else to play M, and will also go towards giving them a smaller, more official role that doesn't involve him Scooby-Doo'ing around town.
    How I see things...

While I'd like Sir Miles back, I got the impression that the Craig era, while being a reboot, wouldn't bring past one-off characters, or would want to repeat history in its literal form. Mallory is the Sir Miles of the rebooted era, if you ask me.

Blofeld is brought back because he is a significant antagonist in the Bond franchise, while I believe neither Goldfinger nor Dr. No or anyone else will be brought back. That applies to Tracy and the OHMSS chronicles also. Instead, new characters and events will fill in the shoes for these features.

That's how I see it.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,767
    I don´t know much about Gilroy, but if Damon and Greengrass had been really that dissatisfied with him they wouldn´t have brought him back after the first film.

JBFan626 wrote: »
    It wouldn't be a big deal to me if Fiennes was gone after one more. He's a fine actor, but he's given a rather small role and getting a fat paycheck to boot. There's got to be plenty of Bernard Lee/Robert Brown older types of the British theater that could fill the role and not require the handsome payday. Put that money towards a good writer and keep the "money on the screen" as Cubby Broccoli put it.
    Very good point!

edited January 2016 Posts: 15,423
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I don´t know much about Gilroy, but if Damon and Greengrass had been really that dissatisfied with him they wouldn´t have brought him back after the first film.
    I'm not making this up, mate. Here's the article:
    http://www.eonline.com/news/280292/the-bourne-animosity-matt-damon-slams-writer-for-career-ender-movie

And to think of the recent installment in the series, Tony Gilroy is not involved, which explains it all for me.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    How I see things...

While I'd like Sir Miles back, I got the impression that the Craig era, while being a reboot, wouldn't bring past one-off characters, or would want to repeat history in its literal form. Mallory is the Sir Miles of the rebooted era, if you ask me.

Blofeld is brought back because he is a significant antagonist in the Bond franchise, while I believe neither Goldfinger nor Dr. No or anyone else will be brought back. That applies to Tracy and the OHMSS chronicles also. Instead, new characters and events will fill in the shoes for these features.

That's how I see it.

Well said - there's no doubt a lot in that.