No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    I think after Dan's final film (Bond 25) it will be a whole recasting as i think the other regulars will not carry on without him.

I kinda think that too... which is ok or can be depending.

I like the current cast though.

• DomesticKittenDomesticKitten Blofeld's Lap
    I think after Dan's final film (Bond 25) it will be a whole recasting as i think the other regulars will not carry on without him.

I reckon a few of them could be convinced. They put so much effort into re-establishing the MI6 regulars that I'm sure EON would be very invested in keeping hold of them. The staff has certainly stayed the same with previous Bond changes.
    Guess we will have to see?
  • Well I don't see Naomie Harris staying on as she would almost certainly be older than the new Bond (39 now). Ditto Ben Whishaw (35), it would no longer be the clash of seasoned agent vs young tech upstart.

I can see them keeping Ralph Fiennes on as M, even though it might not make much sense if they're starting over, but it worked for Judi and nobody minded.
    Fiennes, Whishaw & Moneypenny will likely stay, Kinnear might get the boot.

What makes you think that?
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's February already, are they going to announce which studio will be the new distributor for the Bond films?
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Fiennes is the boss. If you've seen his Coriolanus you will agree (no pun intended B-) )
    Fiennes is a very good M; I hope he does return at least once more.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    He will.
    I would put good money on the entire current cast of regulars coming back for at least one more. Bond 25, count on it. After that, who knows? They might wipe it clean completely as they did with Brosnan; new M, new Moneypenny, new Bond, with only Des staying on as Q... but I hope not. If Craig is the new Connery, we need a new Moore coming in with already established backing characters in place as he begins his run.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The reason the Connery to Moore transition happened the way it did was because EON knew they wanted to continue with the same Bond (as in the same character with the same canonical history). I still contest this, however, because Moore's Bond never did what Sean's Bond would do in my eyes. It's part of the reason why I treat most of the eras as alternate reality Bonds instead of the same man aging over time. It makes no sense otherwise, really.

However, as I've said before, I very much think that when Dan is done, likely with Bond 25, the slate will be wiped clean. It seems everyone is already on that page, including Fiennes: when Dan is out, they're out. And because I think we're going to be getting another reboot with a much younger Bond next, it's necessary to start again anyway. So it's not the same situation as it was in the early seventies when Sean passed the baton to Moore.

I genuinely think they're going to make Dan's final Bond film a very final one indeed, which would be great, because for the first time they could actually tie off one Bond's continuity in a very dramatic and impactful way. His films are just so full of meat and development that I don't want to see this version of Bond played by anybody else. It's been a really special time for me seeing Bond's growth in these movies, and Dan has so utterly owned all of it heart and soul that having another actor step in to continue playing his version of Bond would be the equivalent of going to see one of your favorite bands in concert, but after they play one song they're pushed off stage by a shabby cover band. It's just an empty attempt at impersonation.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2016 Posts: 28,694
    Again, I think it's going to be different this time. I will be surprised if EON don't scrap and restart once again when the next Bond actor has his day.

Besides, these days I can't tell if fans love tradition or hate it. They get all in a tizzy if Mendes and co. pay tribute to one little moment from a past film, but are oh so inconsolable when they don't get their precious gun barrel at the start.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    With the old crew, yes, I would have been disappointed if at least one of them had not returned.

With this new batch, I'm not all that bothered. They've only been around for a few films and haven't had the impact that the old timers had, so I don't see myself missing them all that much. If they decide to go with a new group when the new actor is announced, I'm all for it.

This can definitely be done - one just needs to pick the right actors and give them the right scenarios and dialogue. As an example, I was very attached to the Bale/Caine pairing in Nolan's universe, but just from the recent trailers, I think I'm going to like the Affleck/Irons pairing just as much.

It's all about the execution, as I've said before. Do it well, and audiences will buy it. Screw it up, or pay it lip service, and they won't. Ultimately and collectively the fans are pretty smart about it all.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Once the inevitable passing of the baton comes, I'd like it if they kept Wishaw and maybe Harris. I really enjoy his Q and would love to see him in many Bond films to come. I like Fiennes but I don't see him staying much longer anyway.
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Also, I think that dialogue is going to be key in the future, along with the quality of the actors and their chemistry. More so than screen time. The scenes with the 'gang' must be impactful.

The reason being, all the spy franchises that came out last year had some sort of mentor scenario (Kingsman, MI, Uncle... even SPY) and some had the funny sidekick too. So the market is becoming saturated. Just because a character's name is 'M' or 'MP' or 'Q' doesn't give them instant anointed credibility with the audience due to historic affiliations. This is not Maxwell or Llewelyn or Lee we are talking about here. EON will have to ensure that their new (and current, since they are also 'new') group really deliver. Chemistry is very important in my view.
  • RC7RC7
    They should keep Fiennes until he drops dead. Everyone else is replaceable.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    It's not my love for them (Team Scooby), so much as it is the one tradition that has never been, scrapped, skipped or mucked with. Even after the six year gap Desmond Llewelyn returned as Q, even after thew reboot Judi Dench returned as M. The big two over at EON cannot be unaware of this, I hope that means at least as much to them as it does to me.

This is exactly correct. If they were willing to keep Dame Judi on through the otherwise complete remaking of the series, it can't be too hard to keep Kinnear, Harris, or Whishaw around. If their character changes slightly, that's fine by me.
    The only way I dnt see Ralph coming back once Craig is done is if they kill him off and I'm not sure if they'll go that route considering how July exited the series but other than that I can see Ralph staying in post Craig.
    Why would they do a complete recast for Craig's successor? That would be multiplying work and with a new Bond they'd want some returning faces to keep a certain feeling of familiarity, surely.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Why would they do a complete recast for Craig's successor? That would be multiplying work and with a new Bond they'd want some returning faces to keep a certain feeling of familiarity, surely.

That's how I feel.
  • I see Bond 25 having ALL the same cast as Spectre - Craig too. This, I'd wager, was the plan all along. A direct sequel to Spectre was rumored for quite some time. We'll know in a couple of months for sure. I think November 2018 will be the release date too.

I remember when Brosnan was replaced, and Samantha Bond said he was her Bond and could not work with another actor playing the part. Or words to that effect and feel the current MI6 crop will do the same.
    Samantha Bond couldn't have come back. Regardless, she had no choice in the matter.
    I'm quite relieved that she didn't come back.
    I actually liked her in GE very much but then her character took a bit of a nose dive for me in TND and then by TWINE it was game over. The damage was irreversible.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 2,598
    timmer wrote: »
    timmer wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »
    I think it's safe to say the cat died in the blast.

Unless Blofeld and his aide took it with him/them.
    I think that's most likely. Cat goes where Blofeld goes.
    Although it does seem that cat might have got away, in YOLT volcano. It jumped out of Ernst's arms and ran off as Ernst shot Osato and prepared to kill Bond.
    Also not sure if Ernst took cat with him during Bathosub attempted escape, and weren't there two cats in DAF?
    Ernst really isn"t a responsible pet owner when you consider plight of cat in both YOLT and DAF.

Not to mention OHMSS where the last we see of it I think is when he throws it down on the desk before the ski chase.

It presumably either dies in the Piz Gloria explosion or escapes and finds its way down the mountain only to be savaged to death by the St Bernard.

Someone really ought to report Ernst to the RSPCA.

As best as I can cobble together, I think this might summarize the Blofeld cat history.

Cat #1. FRWL and TB cat, presumably the same cat and presumably safe until
    YOLT. Cat was last seen escaping Blofeld amidst the volcano chaos. Presumably lost, wandering about the volcano island chasing mice etc.
    I'm hesitant to presume cat dead, as they do have a way of hiding themselves away and emerging later when things calm down.

Cat #2 abandoned at Piz Gloria as described above by @Wiz. Presumably lost, wandering about frozen landscape. Assuming it avoided the dog, might have made its way down to the village, where it may have continued roaming streets as a stray or been taken in. Might also have holed up at nearby farmhouse stable, where Bond and Tracy found refuge. Cats are known to wander long distances until they get where they want to be.

Cats 3&4. There were two two cats at the Whyte House. I will presume that 2nd cat was left at safe location while Blofeld and other cat went to oil rig. Best case scenario for oil rig cat I think, is that US navy seals might have rescued it from rig, when they touched down later to mop up.

Cat #5 abandoned by Blofeld on London warehouse-area rooftop in FYEO. Presumably left to roam the nearby alleys.

Which brings us to matter at hand: fate of SP cat going forward. As this is new continuity, this cat can be considered fresh Cat #1.
    There is no reason to believe it is in any distress. Blofeld presumably took it with him in the motorcade which fled the burning Morocco lair, later leaving it in safe hands in London, while he went about his insane business at the gutted Mi6 building.

So question going forward for Bond25. When Blofeld escapes clutches of Mi6, will he make arrangement to reunite with cat? I think yes.

All things considered, I think Blofeld is actually a reasonably responsible pet owner, if not somewhat reckless. He does have history of putting cat in harm's way.
    Circumstance beyond his control though, are what cause distress for his felines. ie he doesn't plan for his lairs to get blown to bits.

This stuff just happens to him and cat gets caught in the carnage.
    However its not clear what arrangements he made for cat's safety in DAF. He takes off in bathosub, but what did he do with cat? We don't know. Maybe he left it in Metz's care. We did see him schluff it off earlier on the good doctor.
    Or possibly he escaped oil rig with cat, later reunited with other cat. Quite possibly the FYEO cat, 10 years later might be one of the DAF cats. We just don't know.

So yes, one of the things to watch for in B25 is potential owner and pet reunion.

Carry on.

@mods if you want to move these posts to a dedicated Blofeld's cat thread, that would be fine. In the meantime had to link with @wiz's most recent posting on the matter here.

Great effort there @timmer.

The cat should reappear in Bond 25, without fur and with a scar down his/her face, identical to that of Blofeld's. ;)

I remember when Brosnan was replaced, and Samantha Bond said he was her Bond and could not work with another actor playing the part. Or words to that effect and feel the current MI6 crop will do the same.

That is Samantha Bond's personal appreciation and is irrelevant to the current casting.
    Q and Moneypenny are young, relatively unknown actors and I bet they wanna keep playing these roles for a long time. Fiennes is awesome, one of my favorite actors, and I would love to see him in the role for another two decades. But I bet he's expensive. They might not be able to keep him as is. Also, let's face they fact they wouldn't have a guy like him in the movies if they were just gonna have him hand off a mission and that's it. It would be pointless. So if they keep him, M stays a big part of the plot. If they replace him they can go the Bernard Lee route and have him in the background more. I don't see it going any other way.
    The next Bond reboot will rise and fall on the script and the new Bond actor. If they are good, the role of M and the actor who plays him are not critical, and if EON goes for a reasonable budget, Fiennes and his high salary may not be worth keeping.