No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Also from Craig's comments I get the idea that EoN is indeed aware that SP did not quite achieve what they wanted ...and I don't mean just financially but critically as well.

I might have missed something he said, what are you referring to?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    patb wrote: »
    "It's like being strapped to a table in a maternity ward full of a thousand whining toddlers while being stabbed by a hundred tiny pins for five months straight."

That would have been a great torture scene in SP

I don't need to see it, I've lived it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    bondjames wrote: »
    In my view, they are creatively tired because they don't know how to make a quality formula Bond film any more. They are overcomplicating the plot (to paraphrase Craig). They've boxed themselves in to an extent with this reboot and the direction they've pursued.

If they choose to shake it up and come back with an entirely new team (one that embraces Bond formula and knows how to deliver a Bond formula film), then I can assure you that they will forget about being tired rather quickly.

=D>

Hit the nail on the head, once again. EON clearly have no idea how to escape the mess they've made for themselves. The only proper solution is to soft reboot with a new actor, but I fear that Craig's popularity will tempt EON to stick the current course. Once the next film is a disappointment due to creatively being tied up in knots from the start, fans will blame EON for giving them what they wanted. Then the cycle will start again, with fans saying that Daniel "needs a proper send off".

But EON are sneaky though, right? Quite a switch in thought for you Mendes, because, when only a couple of months ago Turner's casting as Bond somehow seemed plausible to you (still don't get this), you were in EON's corner big time, saying gears were clearly moving behind the scenes and great things wold be happening in the near weeks (this was before June, mind you).

And gears quite clearly were moving. Either that or the "electric enthusiasm" with which Craig refused to give us an answer either way comes down to wishful thinking, wouldn't you say? :)

And FYI, EON are most definitely sneaky. More than any company I have come across.

The current state of play is clear to those who aren't blinded by their own fantasies, yes, but still people carry stars in their eyes. Dan's comments only serve to underscore how mindless and trivial an exercise it has been to listen to bookies and their "choices" for the next Bond for all these months, dear Turner included, a charge you were proud to be the face of, for whatever reason.

Now, months removed from those days of your baseless confirmation of Turner's casting, all we've got is a random photo of the actor taken at a party or red carpet where he's failing to properly fix his cuffs, and you being the butt and punchline of an endless stream of jokes.

One thing that hasn't, and won't change, though? Dan is James Bond and will be for at least one more go-around.

Coming on a little strong today, I must say.

As you wouldn't understand, after a while the non-sensical comments of others continue such that a breaking point must be reached.

It's like being strapped to a table in a maternity ward full of a thousand whining toddlers while being stabbed by a hundred tiny pins for five months straight.

Woah!?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 6,601
    They just don't WANT to say anything right now. What is so hard to understand. Instead they are tired or whatever he is allowed to say. Why always take these words for real and get pissed? You don't f***ing KNOW, what is going on, because they don't WANT you to.

And for how long are you actually going to answer to Mendes? Have you noticed, that you can say to him, WHATEVER you want and it never seems to bother him. Why not? Because THAT is the nutrion he lives on. Stop doing that and he will go away. He won't survive.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Question: Why is everyone so passionately angry about this subject? Can't anyone approach it normally?
    I'm not angry about it.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Me neither. What will be will be. C'est la via, and all that jazz.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Me neither. Enjoying the ongoing discussions, having fun and looking forward to some concrete news in 2017.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    I'm mad and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!! ~X(

...nah just kidding ..I'm ok :D
  • Love him or hate him, can we agree that perhaps Craig should stop doing media? I mean . . . "we're all tired?"

Boy, am I excited about Daniel's next Bond movie! If the acting thing doesn't work out he could definitely get a job in sales. . .
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Benny wrote: »
    In my view, they are creatively tired because they don't know how to make a quality formula Bond film any more. They are overcomplicating the plot (to paraphrase Craig). They've boxed themselves in to an extent with this reboot and the direction they've pursued.

If they choose to shake it up and come back with an entirely new team (one that embraces Bond formula and knows how to deliver a Bond formula film), then I can assure you that they will forget about being tired rather quickly.

=D>

Hit the nail on the head, once again. EON clearly have no idea how to escape the mess they've made for themselves. The only proper solution is to soft reboot with a new actor, but I fear that Craig's popularity will tempt EON to stick the current course. Once the next film is a disappointment due to creatively being tied up in knots from the start, fans will blame EON for giving them what they wanted. Then the cycle will start again, with fans saying that Daniel "needs a proper send off".

That really is some crystal ball you've got yourself there @Mendes4Lyfe.
    Our old pal bjmdds used to have such powers. I wonder...
    @-)

What happened to him?

He jumped ship to DCINB, couldn't accept Craig as Bond. Tried to boycott CR and vowed that Craig wouldn't get to two films.

:))
    He was like a broken record, going over the same stuff. Careful you don't go down the dark path.
    It'll drive you mad. Along with everyone else.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    What a sad story of hate and denial. I hope such misfortune never afflicts anyone else here.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Craig returning and then forgetting SPECTRE to do a standalone will look ridiculous, if he does they have to address it and the YOLT route is the only real way to do it and salvage the mess that Bond 24 left.

If Craig doesn't return then for me although it's not in the same awful category that DAD is in it certainly is the DC equivalent and sticks out like a saw thumb amongst the previous 3.

Although I'd like DC to go out on a high I think the best move is to reset and have a new Bond introduced as being in the field with a few missions under his belt, not a veteran but experienced and go from there, no back story, no digging into his past just get on with it.

Tease the shadow of SPECTRE then a few films down the line or more then introduce Blofeld, not necessarily to Bond but the audience and go from there, similar to how he was introduced in the SC era with one SP unrelated adventure in there like GF to break things up.

Tom Hughes or James Norton, If they want to go down the established route then Fassbender without a doubt. Hidds & Turner forget it and Hardy I just don't see him in the role.

Although paramount, new writers and no going back to P&W ever again.

I think you might be correct. I struggle to see a good way out of the mess they have created with SP without it being horribly contrived (kill off Maddie, have Blofeld miraculously escape etc).

If DC is not that bothered about coming back it might be better just to let him go to enable us to start from scratch.

Begging DC back and then trying to cobble together another script tying everything up could just make things worse.

That's the beauty of the stand alone approach used in the past; when something didn't work they could just reset and start again but with the Craig era they've now gone on all in on everything being connected and interlinked and, assuming Dan comes back, ignoring what went before for will look just as stupid as convolutedly tying up all the loose ends.

It's one hell of a clusterf**k. No wonder they're in no hurry to make the next one. Babs probably sitting there thinking 'I'll just keep making some other films for a few years and leave Bond on the backburner. I really want to put off for as long as possible the moment I have to put on my radiation suit and go back into the melted reactor core and sort out the catastrophic post SP fallout'.

[quote="fire_and_ice;63938
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Now, months removed from those days of your baseless confirmation of Turner's casting, all we've got is a random photo of the actor taken at a party or red carpet where he's failing to properly fix his cuffs, and you being the butt and punchline of an endless stream of jokes.

Cracking stuff.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What a sad story of hate and denial. I hope such misfortune never afflicts anyone else here.

Some here have denial pretty well covered, so I'd say we've already started down that road. I jumped off the crazy train leagues ago, though. Freight gives me fright.
    It's all about the execution of that formula in my view.

SP was poorly executed even though it tried to be formula. It felt derivative rather than fresh on account of this, just like TND did. Moreover, Craig may not be the man to deliver on that, given he is the reboot Bond (the deep one who makes deep films).

A properly delivered 'light' Bond formula film on the other hand (with superior dialogue, action sequences, & tight plot) would be re-energizing. I personally have not seen a properly executed 'fresh' Bond formula film since GE, which coincidentally was the last one made during Cubby's lifetime.

That's exactly how I feel about the formula. What's frustrating is between 62-89 you could name any handful of Bond films that followed the formula, yet kept it fresh and exciting with great dialogue, action scenes and villainous capers. I'll agree that GE is that last Bond film which adhered to the formula in a natural way. By DAD, the formula called attention to itself as it does in SP.
    I know many here who seem to expect another Bond film be financed, shot, edited and released by the time they get out of the showing of the new one.
    What I expect is pretty simple: a solid Bond movie every 3 years. SPECTRE is pretty inexcusable, especially considering it had a great cast and a first rate crew.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    If they really are courting Guy Ritchie to direct Bond 25, it just got a bit more complicated, he's in negotiations to direct Disney’s live-action adaptation of 'Aladdin'.(THR)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @Germanlady

Your agenda against @Mendes4Lyfe and lately me is getting tiresome and annoying.
    Stop it. I will not longer be insulted and accused by you in the open forum.
    royale65 wrote: »

Pretty much how I look at it. :) Not much point getting angry over it.

Tuulia wrote: »
    royale65 wrote: »

Pretty much how I look at it. :) Not much point getting angry over it.
    Make that three. It is what it is.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Not sure why some people are getting so worked up in the first place.
    Welcome to the MI6 Community. Will Madden, Have Travel.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,425
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    It's all about the execution of that formula in my view.

SP was poorly executed even though it tried to be formula. It felt derivative rather than fresh on account of this, just like TND did. Moreover, Craig may not be the man to deliver on that, given he is the reboot Bond (the deep one who makes deep films).

A properly delivered 'light' Bond formula film on the other hand (with superior dialogue, action sequences, & tight plot) would be re-energizing. I personally have not seen a properly executed 'fresh' Bond formula film since GE, which coincidentally was the last one made during Cubby's lifetime.

That's exactly how I feel about the formula. What's frustrating is between 62-89 you could name any handful of Bond films that followed the formula, yet kept it fresh and exciting with great dialogue, action scenes and villainous capers. I'll agree that GE is that last Bond film which adhered to the formula in a natural way. By DAD, the formula called attention to itself as it does in SP.

GE is the epitome of tired formulaic cinematic tedium.

SP is arguably cut from similar cloth, but is Savill Row to GE's Top Man.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    As I see it we are now at the waiting part
    Firstly Eon have to sort out the studio situation that will take up most of this year
    In the meantime work could be started on story but just I small amount
    Then Daniel has his TV work and some stage work and a well deserved rest as SP took it out of him
    So let's work on getting started sometime arround 2018 yes that's right 2018 production begins at the earliest
    So late in 2018 Bond 25 gets off the starting block with a release date of nov or dec 2019
    How's about that .[/quote]

This is what I thought when I posted the above back at the end of March over 300 pages ago
    I thought it then and I still think it now.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It seems reality slowly sets in.

Still so much gets interpreted into Craig's words.

They are still tired. After a year that's at least pointing in the direction we are heading.

For a very long waiting game. Personally for me it's settled. I don't expect any new Bond movie before 2019, and then it'll be a new actor, logic demands it. At least my logic.

Also I find it a bit convenient to put the blame on MGM. EoN knows there will be Bond 25 at some point. It can go into pre-production, but there is no interest for it obviously.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2016 Posts: 8,087
    It seems reality slowly sets in.

Still so much gets interpreted into Craig's words.

They are still tired. After a year that's at least pointing in the direction we are heading.

For a very long waiting game. Personally for me it's settled. I don't expect any new Bond movie before 2019, and then it'll be a new actor, logic demands it. At least my logic.

Also I find it a bit convenient to put the blame on MGM. EoN knows there will be Bond 25 at some point. It can go into pre-production, but there is no interest for it obviously.

True dat.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Getafix wrote: »
    This thread is getting a little repetitive

A little?

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Getafix wrote: »
    This thread is getting a little repetitive
    You forgot to trademark it. I'm currently rich in royalties.