No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

HASEROT wrote: »
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    BTW: Who decides on such things like the editing? Is this a decision made by the director ?

Yes... with the final edit of 99% of all films, the director has heavy involvement.. he'll be sitting next to the editor telling him "trim this" or "extend that scene", "i want music here, not there." ..etc.. Directors are control freaks (i should know).. they control the actors, the shot, the music and the edit - now, with music and edits - they may not be the ones doing them themselves, but they're heavily involved in the process.. a composer may have certain cues that he has come up with - but the director always has final say on what he likes, doesn't like, and how it's used in the film.... again, same with editing - the editor may offer suggestions on how to edit a scene, but it's the director's choice....... in a nutshell - it can be a collaborative process, but the director always always has final say.............................. unless there is some sort of power struggle between studio, producers, and the directors - in which, often times, a director could get let go, or walk off a project, and someone else comes in to finish it.

Yeah, I remember driving editors a little crazy. :) They were always patient with me though.

In terms of what others have said, yes, if the suits don't sort themselves out quick enough then it may be too late for Craig. Either Eon will deem him too old or he'll consider himself too old.
    I think Fleming would have been delighted with Daltons portrayal.There is no question he was the most faithful adaptation of the literary Bond. It was Connery and Director Terence Young who wanted to up the humour in Dr. No. Connery wasn't keen on the literary Bond becase of the lack of humour, so you could say Dalton was more accurate in his portrayal.
    Regarding charm, well thats a matter of opinion. I think Dalton portrayed that well, particularly in TLD, with the scenes with Kara!
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    You know what this latest New Yorker interview with Daniel Craig changed? It changed perception on how Daniel Craig thinks about James Bond:

"Daniel Craig Implies He Wants To Keep Playing James Bond After All" (Variety.com)

"Daniel Craig Breaks James Bond Silence, Hints at Potential Return: "I'd Miss It Terribly" " (Moviefone.com)

"Daniel Craig Now Seems to Want Playing James Bond" (IGN Entertainment)

"Daniel Craig Changes Tune on Bond Return" (collider.com)

"Daniel Craig on James Bond franchise: "I'd miss it terribly" " (Entertainment Weekly)

"Daniel Craig just pulled a huge U-turn over playing James Bond" (independent.co.uk)

"Did Daniel Craig Just Hint at His Return as James Bond?" (Esquire)

"Daniel Craig Would No Longer Rather Slit His Wrists Than Play James Bond Again" (io9.com)

"Daniel Craig Still Interested In Playing James Bond" (screenrant.com)

"Daniel Craig May Change His Mind About Not Returning As James Bond" (cinemablend.com)

"Daniel Craig Doesn't Seem Ready to Quit Being James Bond" (vulture.com)

"Daniel Craig Walks Back His James Bond-related Fatigue" (screencrush.com)

And I think it's all for the better :-). Daniel Craig may have changed the public perception about James Bond, by actually initiating a full-blown charm-offensive with regard to James Bond. And it work :-). Mr Craig set some things straight, and the media picked it up joyfully and with lots of positivity. Hopefully we're now past these stupid gossip articles throwing in other 'potential' actors replacing Daniel.

DANIEL CRAIG....
    Zx85q2T.png
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He looks a bit like Connery there.
    It looks like Daniel has gone through some gene therapy for the Bond 25!!
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ...or an unfinished major highway with potholes and crooked lines. ....then
    You know what this latest New Yorker interview with Daniel Craig changed? It changed perception on how Daniel Craig thinks about James Bond:

"Daniel Craig Implies He Wants To Keep Playing James Bond After All" (Variety.com)

"Daniel Craig Breaks James Bond Silence, Hints at Potential Return: "I'd Miss It Terribly" " (Moviefone.com)

"Daniel Craig Now Seems to Want Playing James Bond" (IGN Entertainment)

"Daniel Craig Changes Tune on Bond Return" (collider.com)

"Daniel Craig on James Bond franchise: "I'd miss it terribly" " (Entertainment Weekly)

"Daniel Craig just pulled a huge U-turn over playing James Bond" (independent.co.uk)

"Did Daniel Craig Just Hint at His Return as James Bond?" (Esquire)

"Daniel Craig Would No Longer Rather Slit His Wrists Than Play James Bond Again" (io9.com)

"Daniel Craig Still Interested In Playing James Bond" (screenrant.com)

"Daniel Craig May Change His Mind About Not Returning As James Bond" (cinemablend.com)

"Daniel Craig Doesn't Seem Ready to Quit Being James Bond" (vulture.com)

"Daniel Craig Walks Back His James Bond-related Fatigue" (screencrush.com)

And I think it's all for the better :-). Daniel Craig may have changed the public perception about James Bond, by actually initiating a full-blown charm-offensive with regard to James Bond. And it work :-). Mr Craig set some things straight, and the media picked it up joyfully and with lots of positivity. Hopefully we're now past these stupid gossip articles throwing in other 'potential' actors replacing Daniel.

DANIEL CRAIG....
    Zx85q2T.png

Yes thanks for sharing that.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 15,801
    In just a few days he's morphed from Robert Shaw to Sean Connery. Maybe B25 is indeed a remake of FRWL. New title- The Wizard of Ice?
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,119
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    In just a few days he's morphed from Robert Shaw to Sean Connery. Maybe B25 is indeed a remake of FRWL. New title- The Wizard of Ice?

Or "Murder On Wheels" :-P
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I think Fleming would have been delighted with Daltons portrayal.There is no question he was the most faithful adaptation of the literary Bond. It was Connery and Director Terence Young who wanted to up the humour in Dr. No. Connery wasn't keen on the literary Bond becase of the lack of humour, so you could say Dalton was more accurate in his portrayal.
    Regarding charm, well thats a matter of opinion. I think Dalton portrayed that well, particularly in TLD, with the scenes with Kara!

I agree that Dalton was more accurate in his portrayal and I loved him for it and personally, I don't care much about humor as I love a dark serious portrayal of the character which Dalton did well but I'm just talking about Dalton's portrayal of what humor there was. Even the literary Bond was funny occasionally and when we did get humor from Dalton he did seem a little stiff to me. I'm not talking about the lack of humor which I think is a good thing but how he handled it when there was the odd more light hearted moment.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I feel like Craig would come back if they found a distributor and good director.

He obviously does not care about the money. If they don't make a move quick within the next year then he will slip away.. I really do see him doing one more film.

Time Out magazine interview 2015:
    You want to move on from Bond for good?
    ‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the fuck knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

He clearly does care about the money. To suggest otherwise, as you and many other Bond fans have done, is factually incorrect. Craig will only return if the price is right, not out of fan loyalty nor great interest in the role. If fans want Craig back just going through the motions for a big fat pay cheque, then support him. I'd rather find a cheaper-to-hire actor with some fresh enthusiasm.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    I feel like Craig would come back if they found a distributor and good director.

He obviously does not care about the money. If they don't make a move quick within the next year then he will slip away.. I really do see him doing one more film.

Time Out magazine interview 2015:
    You want to move on from Bond for good?
    ‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the fuck knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

He clearly does care about the money. To suggest otherwise, as you and many other Bond fans have done, is factually incorrect. Craig will only return if the price is right, not out of fan loyalty nor great interest in the role. If fans want Craig back just going through the motions for a big fat pay cheque, then support him. I'd rather find a cheaper-to-hire actor with some fresh enthusiasm.

Great post!
    Bounine, fair enough, he may not have been comfortable doing humour, but the statement was about what Fleming would have thought of him. And since from reading the novels, humour in Bond wasn't high, therefore it wouldn't have been a factor important to Fleming if he were assessing Daltons portrayal!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Those are incredibly dumb headlines (obviously no offense to you @Gustav). Craig never "pulled a u-turn" on anything, he simply hasn't talked. The only thing they're basing that off of is the wrist slashing comment.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They want a story. Not the truth. No matter how idiotic and how research lackluster, if it sells, they'll go as far to writing the absurdest of things.

---

Please one of the moderators pass my bill to the MI6 Community foundation to disable this automatic 'Save Draft' process. It's been frozen like that for ten damn minutes!
    jake24 wrote: »
    Those are incredibly dumb headlines (obviously no offense to you @Gustav). Craig never "pulled a u-turn" on anything, he simply hasn't talked. The only thing they're basing that off of is the wrist slashing comment.

Going from slashing wrists to missing terribly sounds like a u turn to me.

Dumb or not dumb, I prefer the new 'status quo' as mentioned in those headlines :-).
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Doesn't take a genius to know that he was bullsh**ing. But like @ClarkDevlin said, anything for a story.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    @SeanCraig I have to disagree with you. The editing definitely suited the film. The point was never to experience or view the action at a nice pace. The point was to put you in the drivers seat of Bond and immerse you in the chaotic nature of each chase / fight. For example the car chase is overwhelming and claustrophobic. The scenes where he is chasing Mitchel as well. A bit of symbolism to Bond's unstable and emotionally vulnerable nature. It goes back to what I said before: this film isn't meant to be clean, and it wouldn't work that way either.
  • RC7RC7
    @SeanCraig I have to disagree with you. The editing definitely suited the film. The point was never to experience or view the action at a nice pace. The point was to put you in the drivers seat of Bond and immerse you in the chaotic nature of each chase / fight. For example the car chase is overwhelming and claustrophobic. The scenes where he is chasing Mitchel as well. A bit of symbolism to Bond's unstable and emotionally vulnerable nature. It goes back to what I said before: this film isn't meant to be clean, and it wouldn't work that way either.

I agree with you on the car chase and the foot chase is pretty good, but the scene with Medrano at the dock doesn't cut the mustard for me. It's just messy. And as for the plane sequence; totally moribund.
    The wrist slashing quote! Man, some people just refuse to get the context of it!
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,116
    Delete ...
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    ToTheRight wrote: »

About time EON gave me the requisite respect by such a nod.

I approve.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    This is the best headline I've read recently:

These geniuses managed to get the wrist slash into the headline with a positive spin.
    I've had two people in my life commit suicide so maybe that wrist comment Just Hits home a bit more
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I think I'm missing a trick here.

Need to copyright the 'I'd rather slash my wrists comment'.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited October 2016 Posts: 732

Totally get your point and the intention, Forster had. But - imho - it does not work out this way but is just messy. I did not mean the action sequences to look "relaxed" - but being able to still follow who's who and what is actually happening. Getting back just a bit would work wonders ... again imho.

Best comparison (unfortunately) is Bourne where I get that "in the driver's seat" feeling ... in QoS I get angry instead of excited and to me it is because I have no clou anymore what's going on. Just a bit less and likely the effect would be there ... and it would work as you described it (for me).
    Sorry to hear that mcdonbb, but i think we can safely say Craig made the comment straight after an exhausting shoot! It was understandable he would say dont want to even think about it yet. He chose an unfortunate phrase which everyone has made a mountain out of! It was a pretty dumb question to ask, if i must say so! Babs and Michael W are constantly asked at the end of a Bond movie, when is the next one out? They of course never give a clear answer because everyone is just gearing up for the current one!

Doesn't take a genius to know that he was bullsh**ing. But like @ClarkDevlin said, anything for a story.

Doesn't take a dumbass to realize that quote had an impact whether he meant it or not. And I don't f#cking care if he did or didn't mean it was a Trump level f#cking stupid remark against a $300 million investment.

I like Craig's Bond but no I don't agree at all and I'm certainly not a dumb ass for thinking so.
    ???
    I certainly wasn't calling you a dumbass. You're allowed to interpret the quote in any way you want. But there's only one way that Craig meant it, and that was merely amplified banter between two people that has been misrepresented in the press ever since. I'm incredibly sorry for your loss @mcdonbb and we're all here if you need to talk, but not everything lIke this quote should be taken seriously. The best thing to do is to approach it with some lightness instead of blowing it out of proportion like the press has been doing for nearly a year.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 154
    QOS might have felt weird if they made if they tried to make the story lighter in tone.
    But what wouldn't have felt weird is if they had actually tried to make a story. QOS is a mess.
  • Boys, boys -- I expect this type of in-fighting from MI-5 but not MI-6. A modicum of respect amongst the ranks.