No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    2018 or 2019 just glad there is a plan for B25.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    SF's themes and relevant content were definitely front and center in the film, while in SP all the relevant content was very much just sub-plot (I believe that's one of the biggest complaints about it).

SF is a massive celebration of Bond, a very proud film, and does reflect the nature of the world we live in as great as any Bond film. Our enemies are without country, and need only a computer and keyboard to wreak havoc. We are facing a moment in time when agents in the field are being swapped out with cold, calculating drone warfare. Leaks, hacks and scandals of the sort perpetrated by Silva in the film have happened more and more since even before SF came out.

If that's not a socially relevant Bond film, I don't know what is. Not since the Russian, American and British detente of the later Moore films have these movies been so on the nose as to what the world is facing now.
    SF's themes and relevant content were definitely front and center in the film, while in SP all the relevant content was very much just sub-plot (I believe that's one of the biggest complaints about it).

SF is a massive celebration of Bond, a very proud film, and does reflect the nature of the world we live in as great as any Bond film. Our enemies are without country, and need only a computer and keyboard to wreak havoc. We are facing a moment in time when agents in the field are being swapped out with cold, calculating drone warfare. Leaks, hacks and scandals of the sort perpetrated by Silva in the film have happened more and more since even before SF came out.

If that's not a socially relevant Bond film, I don't know what is. Not since the Russian, American and British detente of the later Moore films have these movies been so on the nose as to what the world is facing now.
    And that makes all the "is Bond/MI6 still relevant" theme, which is equally front and center in SF, all the more so ridiculous. Apart from the notion that the depiction of the British Secret Service in Bond films hasn´t been anywhere close to reality at least since the 70s, if it ever was.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As Bond quit the service in SP, maybe it makes sense with a long gap before he is dragged back in the next one.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Spectre was a big step up, especially since the Nine Eyes (mass surveillance, information is power theme) is a reflection of our society. Something the Bond franchise always excelled at in doing was mirroring what is going on in the world.

I'm not a fan of SP, but the Nine Eyes story is the part of the film I really appreciate. Not necessarily the way it was handled, but the fact that the filmmakers (I credit Mendes with that) took a very firm anti-drone, anti-surveillance, pro-Snowden political stance.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    As Bond quit the service in SP, maybe it makes sense with a long gap before he is dragged back in the next one.

Exactly my thoughts.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm kind of worried, though... The way Blofeld drilled Bond's head to wipe his memory out... Do you think the effects will be part of the basis in the next film? Because if we were going to have a You Only Live Twice entry, and as Bond suffers from strong headache he forgets everything in the end (up until the beginning of the following novel) this might end up being a plot key in Bond 25.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 11,425
    Getafix wrote: »
    He's not that clever otherwise he wouldn't have made that comment

It was a light hearted comment so get over yourself.

You've never said something off the cuff then? Ever?

In all the interviews I've seen Craig seems to be an articulate and intelligent bloke who has a dry sense of humour.

Take a chill pill.

Just because I say the wrist slashing comment was stupid doesn't make me an axe carrying Craig not Bond fanatic.

It was stupid becuase he should know by this stage in his career that you can't just say whatever you want when it comes to the media. It wasn't a professional thing to say and was a disservice to himself, the film and everyone else who had worked on it.

It needlessly overshadowed the media promotion of the film and probably hurt it a bit at the BO. A totally self inflicted wound.

I always took the comment for what it was personally, but am not surprised the media made such a big deal out of it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

In all the interviews I've seen Craig seems to be an articulate and intelligent bloke who has a dry sense of humour.

Take a chill pill.

Just because I say the wrist slashing comment was stupid doesn't make me an axe carrying Craig not Bond fanatic.

It was stupid becuase he should know by this stage in his career that you can't just say whatever you want when it comes to the media. It wasn't a professional thing to say and was a disservice to himself, the film and everyone else who had worked on it.

It needlessly overshadowed the media promotion of the film and probably hurt it a bit at the BO. A totally self inflicted wound.

I always took the comment for what it was personally, but am not surprised the media made such a big deal out of it.
    Quite right. Hopefully his recent more positive remarks have put the issue to bed once and for all.
    bondjames wrote: »

Take a chill pill.

Quite right. Hopefully his recent more positive remarks have put the issue to bed once and for all.

I agree. And Craig was quite positive in his desire to play the part so even better.
  • RC7RC7
    I like the fact he said it. Who cares if the film made $800m or $1bn? He's not not Cruise, he's a belligerent, awkward Brit and I love him for that. Long may he continue to lead the press a merry dance. They're all dicks.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Craig's attitude is light years from Brosnan's, the way he wanted a say and wasn't just going to sign onto anything.

This is the difference, no CR's script isn't all gold, but the good certainly outweighs the bad.
    Brosnan would have signed on for any old shite.

Craig might have had some lapses of judgement along the way but he clearly would have told them to feck off if they'd put TND,TWINE or DAD in his lap.

That being said SPECTRE isn't that much better and for me a bigger disappointment because I cared about this I couldn't give a shit about 1995 -2002, I actually see Bond ending in 1989 and resuming in 2006, it works for me.

Hopefully when he returns he'll get focused again and being a producer will not sign off on another ludicrous P&W script. Hopefully no more Mendes and a director he gels with that won't insist on a composer not willing to exude Bond.

As for DC's manner, it is undoubtedly him, he doesn't censor himself and doesn't play the game, no some of his comments are ill advised but as @RC7 he's a belligerent awkward Brit and I love him for that as well.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    HASEROT wrote: »
    because i will contend to this day, that QOS has moments of absolute breathtaking cinematography, and (outside of the action) was the best looking Bond film, IMO, since OHMSS - a real treat for the eyes.. it's just a shame that the action wasn't done in a similar way to CR, SF or SP.
    Thanks again for your explaination - did not know that and I have a better understanding now why Forsters inexperience with action movies shows and where.

Fully agree on your (quoted) statement - the movie looks just fantastic and I think Craig also looks really fit in here - even more than in CR. Having a recut version of QoS which would bring down the editing to a level shown in CR (which is "dynamic" but not insane like in QoS) would be a very welcome thing.

I'm seeing this a few days late but I wanted to chime in and note that Forster clearly learned from his mistakes with World War Z. That film had many problems but the action was not one of them.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2016 Posts: 5,921
    RC7 wrote: »
    @SeanCraig I have to disagree with you. The editing definitely suited the film. The point was never to experience or view the action at a nice pace. The point was to put you in the drivers seat of Bond and immerse you in the chaotic nature of each chase / fight. For example the car chase is overwhelming and claustrophobic. The scenes where he is chasing Mitchel as well. A bit of symbolism to Bond's unstable and emotionally vulnerable nature. It goes back to what I said before: this film isn't meant to be clean, and it wouldn't work that way either.

I agree with you on the car chase and the foot chase is pretty good, but the scene with Medrano at the dock doesn't cut the mustard for me. It's just messy. And as for the plane sequence; totally moribund.

+1
    I'm kind of worried, though... The way Blofeld drilled Bond's head to wipe his memory out... Do you think the effects will be part of the basis in the next film? Because if we were going to have a You Only Live Twice entry, and as Bond suffers from strong headache he forgets everything in the end (up until the beginning of the following novel) this might end up being a plot key in Bond 25.

This would have been a really interesting way for SP to go in the third act, and in Bond 25. Sadly, they seem to have dropped the effects of the torture the minute Bond shot his way out of the Moroccan hideaway.
    They should go for a summer 2019 release. I still feel summer is the money making season.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    This is an interesting article about ten things bond 25 needs to do to be successful http://whatculture.com/film/10-ways-that-bond-25-can-improve-on-spectre
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2016 Posts: 5,921
    "Something as loose as Blofeld returning to the fray years after 007 spared his life, with no reference to Judi Dench's M, Quantum, Madeleine Swann or Vesper Lynd."

This idea is interesting. As much as I love Eva Green, there were way too many mentions of Vesper in SP.

Still, I know many fans would like to see an arc inspired by YOLT and TMWTGG, and now may be the time. (Wasn't it Peter Hunt who said that the original plan was for Tracy to die at the beginning of DAF? It could happen with Swann.) Craig would excel at that story like no Bond before him.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Here is an official video from The New Yorker Festival of Daniel explaining how BB approached him to play the role and his involvement in shaping the films.

That was great, thanks.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    My goodness has posting in here ever slowed down.
    We could all come together and make a pact that none of us will comment on this thread until real, big-time Bond 25 news arrives (and not bookie bets, tired casting calls or anything to do with Dan's poor wrists).

Anyone that breaks the pact after it is agreed upon looses a finger. Deal?
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Brady, I am so in for that.
    We'll have to gauge everyone else's feelings.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

Take a chill pill.

It's not in Craig's nature to keep the press and everyone else happy. Why should he anyway. Just because they jump on any trivial quote and make a storm in a teacup out of it doesn't mean he should have to keep his mouth shut.

Any person with one iota of common sense knew EXACTLY what he meant.

God forbid he should become a sycophant to the media. He's British and awkward...just the way I like him!
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    RC7 wrote: »
    I like the fact he said it. Who cares if the film made $800m or $1bn? He's not not Cruise, he's a belligerent, awkward Brit and I love him for that. Long may he continue to lead the press a merry dance. They're all dicks.

Exactly my thoughts. Well said.
    We could all come together and make a pact that none of us will comment on this thread until real, big-time Bond 25 news arrives (and not bookie bets, tired casting calls or anything to do with Dan's poor wrists).

Anyone that breaks the pact after it is agreed upon looses a finger. Deal?

....and after that we will proceed to the more VITAL areas.
    I'm already in debt but now I have the chance to loose digits or worse???

What an awesome thread!!!!

I'm just asking to clarify please don't count this post :D
    Is Aidan Turner still in the frame?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Is Aidan Turner still in the frame?
    If he adjusted his cufflink recently, then yes.
    Oops I mentioned Mr Turner, do I now lose a finger?
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Oops I mentioned Mr Turner, do I now lose a finger?
    Nope. You're protected by Accidental Mentions Finger Registration Act.