No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Yes, Cavill would have been a tragic choice but that shouldn't eliminate Campbell from a future advisory chair. He may have just preferred a younger actor that Craig for a reboot inception story, and I can appreciate that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    Yes, Cavill would have been a tragic choice but that shouldn't eliminate Campbell from a future advisory chair. He may have just preferred a younger actor that Craig for a reboot inception story, and I can appreciate that.

Cavill wasn't big enough at the time for all of us to realize just how flat and wooden he is. I can forgive Campbell for this slip-up.
    I have to agree that Campbell had much better material to work with on CR than GE! He really upped his game for CR! Cavill would indeed have been a bad choice!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    You can moan all you want about GE but it's as loved as CR and as good.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    MOOOAN!!!!!!!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    MOOOAN!!!!!!!
    I presume you and Getafix are something of an item?
    Je suis le fixaget.
  • RC7RC7
    If you can't enjoy Brosnan-Kitchen-Dench you should be burnt as a witch.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Or at least poked in the fusiform gyrus until Brosnan is awesome to you. ;)
    RC7 wrote: »
    If you can't enjoy Brosnan-Kitchen-Dench you should be burnt as a witch.

I love Kitchen, but those others? No.

Cook me slowly at 125 degrees.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,043
    Burn me at the stake, GE was when my of love Bond lost it's appeal, from then up to 2006 watching the films was a formaility I did it but not with any real anticipation.

Brosnan was a terrible Bond in my opnion and although GE was my least disliked of his offerings it's still in the bottom of my ranking.

I know it's become fashionable to rain on Brosnan but I was doing it long before that when trying to defend Dalton was a very lonely place to be.

I really can't see what makes GE so great, I'm with Getafix & Thunderfinger and I don't say that often I can assure you.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Burn me at the stake, GE was when my of love Bond lost it's appeal, from then up to 2006 watching the films was a formaility I did it but not with any real anticipation.

Brosnan was a terrible Bond in my opnion and although GE was my least disliked of his offerings it's still in the bottom of my ranking.

I know it's become fashionable to rain on Brosnan but I was doing it long before that when trying to defend Dalton was a very lonely place to be.

I really can't see what makes GE so great, I'm with Getafix and I don't say that often I can assure you.

Don t forget yours tuly.
  • RC7RC7
    You're all supercilious gits.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,043

I really can't see what makes GE so great, I'm with Getafix and I don't say that often I can assure you.

Don t forget yours tuly.

Just edited it.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 3,126
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37608854

Very interesting info from craigs co-star on play
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I felt pretty much disappointed in Bond especially after seeing Skyfall myself and wasn't pleased with Craig at the time, but that was four years ago. In time, I learned to appreciate the man as well as his contribution to the series. The thing about Bond is that...

While it maintains some of the aspects that helped it stand afoot, it always moves in with time and follows the trend that makes the production marketable. That's the way it always has been. I mean, sure, we used to think Bond has always set the trend, but that was the sixties. After that, Bond has always followed the then-current trend.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

I really can't see what makes GE so great, I'm with Getafix & Thunderfinger and I don't say that often I can assure you.

I can understand that, @Shardlake. I can't imagine seeing the promise of Dalton, then finding out a hiatus was on, then waiting years with the hopes he would return for more when suddenly he was out of the picture and in his place came a set of Bond films that represented an arguable decrease in quality. I like GE well enough, but people's issues with the Brosnan era are more than understandable to me. Out of all the Bond films, they are the ones that feel the most like video games, and that often works against their favor. Even Moore in his different approach to the role conveyed a presence that made him feel like Bond, if imperfect, but I think Brosnan had a real identity crisis in the role and at times it's hard to tell whether the films are showing us Bond or a more parodied version of him in tune with the endless, faceless gun-toting action characters of the 80s.

I'll be interested to see how I feel about Brosnan when I revisit his films in the near future, but at this point he's at the bottom of the pile for me in terms of best Bond actors.

I don't want to turn this into a Brosnan Bond slash and burn offensive, though.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 2,598
    Goldeneye was a disappointment (although it was the best of the dismal Brosnan Bond films) but I put this down mostly to Brosnan who I didn't like as Bond. The other problem with GE is that there was too much action. He is a mediocre actor at best and his performance at times was melodramatic and exaggerated. What's interesting though is that I really think that Brosnan was at his best in GE, which Campbell directed.

As for there being too much action in GE, this was the case with all the lacklustre Brosnan flicks as I think at the time, Eon were trying too hard to compete with all the other action movies out there instead of trying to strike a healthy balance between drama and action. Goldeneye felt the most original and lavish out of the Brosnan films to me. The other three felt generic and aritifical.

As for CR, Campbell did a great job with this movie, minus the odd minor niggle.

I enjoy AVTAK very much, especially the first half of the movie. I don't think Moore looked too bad and he certainly had presence and charisma unlike Brosnan. I think that the people who say that the reason AVTAK is not a good film is due to Moore's age are too easily letting themselves be bothered by this. I think it's an easy thing to look past. I don't think he's really the issue at all. Any problems that exist in AVTAK are mostly in the second half of the movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Brosnan's two middle films are my favorites.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Funny how that works, eh? So many months of Turner this, Hiddleston that, and now the bookies finally get it: Daniel is and always has been in prime position.

tumblr_medki3GCFr1qe1tmho2_500.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    "Interesting setup Dan. You break into massive controversary via the slashing your wrists comment and drop in popularity electronically. Just before you appear to be done with the role you do this interview with great enthusiasm sending your popularity back to great numbers, which erases any trace of the popular choices picked to replace you. Ingenious."

diudhUq.png?1
    Bet your life savings on that one, folks, as it's a sure fire thing.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I suspect the bookies knew all along that DC would likely return but never say no to a fool's money!
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I suspect the bookies knew all along that DC would likely return but never say no to a fool's money!

Exactly, they make money on these rumours. They and the tabloid journalists feed off each other.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    1 / 5 / 9 / 24
    2 / 10 / 13 / 23

Those are the places in my Bond ranking of Craig and Brosnan.

Dalton has spots 3 / 11 by the way.

No matter how many of you will find Brosnan and/or his films "dismal" or whatever, they were not.
    At the time all 4 of them worked wonders at the BO and with critics and the audience by the way.
    It can be debated if they aged nicely. But then the 00's will be judged quite differently in 2025 as well, once they hit the 20 year old mark.

Brosnan paved the way for whole generations of new Bond fans. Dalton, as much as it pains me to say, would have not accomplished this, he lost 3 movies for a decent 5 film run. AVTAK, 1991 and 1993. That should have been his time.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,400
    Has Naomie Harris confirmed Craig will be back?
    Naomie-Harris-615339.jpg
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/naomie-harris-thinks-daniel-craig-is-coming-back-to-play-bond-and-shell-bet-you-money-on-it-233621391.html

She tiptoed around it but she seems convinced. It's a little unconvincing how Craig, Harris, Mendes et al. all seem to suggest that there has been no momentum on B25 since Spectre came out.

That has to be bullshit, Bond is a billion dollar industry that is tied to numerous multinationals that rely on the revenue it produces. There is most certainly an announcement coming. Especially since numerous outlets have confirmed Sony have the rights. Maybe Craig and Broccoli are waiting for Othello to pass?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Has Naomie Harris confirmed Craig will be back?
    Naomie-Harris-615339.jpg
    https://www.yahoo.com/movies/naomie-harris-thinks-daniel-craig-is-coming-back-to-play-bond-and-shell-bet-you-money-on-it-233621391.html

She tiptoed around it but she seems convinced. It's a little unconvincing how Craig, Harris, Mendes et al. all seem to suggest that there has been no momentum on B25 since Spectre came out.

That has to be bullshit, Bond is a billion dollar industry that is tied to numerous multinationals that rely on the revenue it produces. There is most certainly an announcement coming. Especially since numerous outlets have confirmed Sony have the rights. Maybe Craig and Broccoli are waiting for Othello to pass?

Yes, they must at least be readying some kind of update, whether it's a tentative release date, clarification on Craig's position, or even a director or script in the works. Some kind of official recognition that something is actually happening, that it's a priority. It's completely unprecedented for there to be uninterrupted radio silence for this length of time.