No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Anyone want to bet how many pages this thread will have by February 2018 when we finally will get some news about Bond 25 that will hit the screen in 2019.

I think 2'746 sounds about right.
    Anyone want to bet how many pages this thread will have by February 2018 when we finally will get some news about Bond 25 that will hit the screen in 2019.

I think 2'746 sounds about right.

I'm almost feeling by the time we get to that many pages- the headline will STILL say "No Decision Made Yet".
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Let's hope we get something more concrete in the next few months.
    What's amazing despite very little news is I may be away for two or three days, when I return there are hundreds more posts on this thread.
    Cool lets bring the thread up
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    What's amazing despite very little news is I may be away for two or three days, when I return there are hundreds more posts on this thread.

Look at all these comments and you can see why. We're posting rumors and reiterating the same hopes and wishes once a week.

I recall how some seemed furious at the thought of closing this one up for a bit before the real news began.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,756
    If Blofeld were to come back, I could imagine a cool sequence of him being tried at the International Criminal Court, throwback to the original Blofeld inspiration goering_at_nuremberg.jpg

Netherlands as a location?
    If Blofeld were to come back, I could imagine a cool sequence of him being tried at the International Criminal Court, throwback to the original Blofeld inspiration goering_at_nuremberg.jpg

I see a lot of potential in this, but I think the screenwriters will add a twist in which Blofeld is safe in the Bahamas. Is one of his clones being judged at the court. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It would be cool if Blofeld was being tried at some glass building and some Spectre helicopters could drop in, breaking in swat style and recover him. A quick in and out operation. That could be the PTS.
    Murdock wrote: »
    It would be cool if Blofeld was being tried at some glass building and some Spectre helicopters could drop in, breaking in swat style and recover him. A quick in and out operation. That could be the PTS.

Sam Mendes, if given a chance, would turn this into a Godfather Pt. III homage. :P
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,756
    Rossi wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Sam Mendes, if given a chance, would turn this into a Godfather Pt. III homage. :P

Also have this playing on repeat:

• mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    I could see BB more than MGW pushing a Mendes return. I could also see a studio resistant to the idea.

Also see greater audience moan and predicted BO drop off from announcement of Mendes return.

Just hire P&W back kill the series and have plenty of time to make crap no one watches.

I agree on BB. Sadly she will just do whatever pleases her without thinking of the bigger picture. And as long as she is successful with it, it'll stay that way.

As for BO drop off, Spectre still was the second most successful Bond movie ever and in many parts of the world, including the German-language region Spectre did almost as well as Skyfall or even outdid it. I'm talking ticket sales.
    The BO situation was hurt by exchange rates a great lot. But in the end it was the US who prevented Spectre to become as successful as Skyfall.

If Mendes would return, and P+W, it still will make at least another 800 million. But for us die-hard fans it would be a catastrophe.

True SP was successful... and to be honest even in NA. I just think the audience is ready for a new take.

And you and I both like one of Mendes's Bonds just not the same one lol. Agree or not I think Mendes is tapped out on Bond. I could be wrong.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Mendes doesn't know how to direct action, and he's all out of ideas making it a greatest cinematic hits homage collection. Skyfall was Vol. 1, and Spectre is Vol. 2. No thanks.

Bring someone who knows how to make a great James Bond film with load of espionage inside. Not make homages to this film, that film, some in-jokes, some other pop culture references from the past. Just don't. Build up on the story, not the characters and Easter Eggs.

...he sorta looks like Dr.No.. maybe he was the inspiration for Dr.No?
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Look at all these comments and you can see why. We're posting rumors and reiterating the same hopes and wishes once a week.

I recall how some seemed furious at the thought of closing this one up for a bit before the real news began.
    When it comes, it comes. There's no sense in locking a perfectly good thread simply because a lack of patience is present. By no means furious, I just don't see the logic behind it.
  • Re: Herzog's Bond comments (and who doesn't have a Bond comment these days anyway?):

I've always been a fan of Herzog's films, both his documentaries and his fiction. I find the man an immensely interesting character. I would be happy to have him onboard the franchise as either a villain or as director.

Whenever the series has hired a director known for their art films/drama, I've enjoyed the results (see Michael Apted with TWINE or Marc Forster with QoS). Even with Sam Mendes—Spectre aside, of course—I've been warming to Skyfall, appreciating more and more what it did do right, and that seems to be the kind of Bond story he really wanted to tell. I see nothing in Herzog's filmography to suggest he would be a worse candidate than Apted, Forster, or Mendes. To the contrary, he has proven time and time again that he is capable of working within vastly different genres to produce endlessly fascinating stories.

Just so long as the gunbarrel doesn't open on Bond nursing a double bourbon at the airport bar with Herzog narrating, "What is this man thinking? Who is he and where has he just come from on this mechanical bird that transports people through the sky? Is he even really a man or is he just a shadow that will dissipate as slowly and as invisibly as the ice in the glass from which he drinks?"

Then again...hmmm.

Somebody call Babs and Mike. I think I may have Bond 25 locked and loaded and ready to go for them.
    I really cant see what Mendes can bring to the table a 3rd time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I really cant see what Mendes can bring to the table a 3rd time.
    He can close out the melodrama (or complex web of intrigue as some may see it) that he has instigated.
    jake24 wrote: »
    Those are incredibly dumb headlines (obviously no offense to you @Gustav). Craig never "pulled a u-turn" on anything, he simply hasn't talked. The only thing they're basing that off of is the wrist slashing comment.

Dumb or not dumb, I prefer the new 'status quo' as mentioned in those headlines :-).
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 15,818
    Mendes doesn't know how to direct action, and he's all out of ideas making it a greatest cinematic hits homage collection. Skyfall was Vol. 1, and Spectre is Vol. 2. No thanks.

Bring someone who knows how to make a great James Bond film with load of espionage inside. Not make homages to this film, that film, some in-jokes, some other pop culture references from the past. Just don't. Build up on the story, not the characters and Easter Eggs.

Well said. Unfortunately for us....those who know how to make a great James Bond film......Terence Young, Peter Hunt, Guy Hamilton, are all gone now. Seems the trend in this current batch of Bond films is to get a prestigious director a'la Mendes and let him do whatever he wants with it while trying to make the film seem Bondian. The result ends in needless homages to previous films, misplaced gunbarrels, amazingly dense in-jokes and references to the past.
    I imagine if someone like Peter Hunt or Terence Young were with us today, he could take a rubbish script (DAD) or even an unfinished script (QoS), and possibly make a great James Bond film out of them without all the homages, past references etc. They knew Bond well and what the films needed.
    Perhaps instead of the Mendes approach, Barbara and Michael could do what Cubby did and promote from within. Cubby was very very loyal to his crew and rewarded excellent team members like Hunt and Glen with promotions. He would also bring back the right directors to match the tone of the next film-hence getting Gilbert back for the very YOLT styled TSWLM.
    Of course the newer films have changed editors so often, I can't think of one off hand who might helm a future Bond epic- not Matt Chesse.
    Hunt knew Bond inside and out by the time OHMSS was filmed- and was not only attempting his first gig in the directors chair, his film was to break the current mold by NOT having so many gimmicks and gadgets. He had his work cut out for him and turned in what many including myself feel was one of the very best entries in the series.
    I could go on with praise for Glen as well having directed the bobsled sequence/Mt Asgard jump, etc before landing FYEO.
    I somehow think Barbara and Michael will continue with directors along the lines of Lee Tamahori, Mendes, Apted, and Spottiswood based on their previous work as opposed to someone who was already part of the family/team.
    Babs & EON will offer the directors chair to Mendes for a 3rd time.That I know, Whether he accepts at the time is up to him. They want him back, Mendes even stated if he did another one there would be a couple ways to take the story going forward.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    And Bond 25 will be called Wave-Link.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    And will star Turner as Bond and John Travolta as the villain (also Bond's roommate at Eton)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    And Bond 25 will be called Wave-Link.

Someone working on the next film will see this, not realize it's a joke, and decide to give fans what they want with that title.
  • Did something come up in the news recently regarding Mendes? Why do people think he's still a viable option for the next one? Didn't he say in no uncertain terms that he's done with Bond? Or did I imagine/misread that?
    Mendes swore to the grave of his ancestors that he would not return to direct another Bond movie after Skyfall. Ok, I made up the grave thing, but he was very clearly about not returning.

Mendes can't be trusted, it's as simple as that. It will only be a matter of money and if he needs another ego-wank.

After the two most successful Bond films ever, it wouldn't surprise me if they did a third round with him, P+W, Craig, Newman.

We can only pray it will not be another Skyfall. That only worked because of the 50th Anniversary.
    After he successfully re-made TWINE (Skyfall) and TSWLM/YOLT/GE in one with Spectre he probably will do DAF/MR/DAD with his third one, of course combined with a clever plot involving M being endangered by an ex-something that wants revenge.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Mendes is done. I'm sure after SP, EON will be looking to tap into new talent.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Did something come up in the news recently regarding Mendes? Why do people think he's still a viable option for the next one? Didn't he say in no uncertain terms that he's done with Bond? Or did I imagine/misread that?
    I may have started this a few pages back. I surmised that there would be no B25 continuation of SP's storyline without Mendes back again, because no director worth his/her salt would want to take on Mendes' baggage and characters (which is everyone except for Tanner and Bond).
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did something come up in the news recently regarding Mendes? Why do people think he's still a viable option for the next one? Didn't he say in no uncertain terms that he's done with Bond? Or did I imagine/misread that?
    I may have started this a few pages back. I surmised that there would be no B25 continuation of SP's storyline without Mendes back again, because no director worth his/her salt would want to take on Mendes' baggage and characters (which is everyone except for Tanner and Bond).

Oh, Tanner will be the traitor with a grudge in the next Bond, that's a given if P+W return.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    bondjames wrote: »

Oh, Tanner will be the traitor with a grudge in the next Bond, that's a given if P+W return.

Logan's idea, not theirs. They actually came in and stopped that from happening.