No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    bondjames wrote: »
    Did something come up in the news recently regarding Mendes? Why do people think he's still a viable option for the next one? Didn't he say in no uncertain terms that he's done with Bond? Or did I imagine/misread that?
    I may have started this a few pages back. I surmised that there would be no B25 continuation of SP's storyline without Mendes back again, because no director worth his/her salt would want to take on Mendes' baggage and characters (which is everyone except for Tanner and Bond).

Oh, Tanner will be the traitor with a grudge in the next Bond, that's a given if P+W return.

Logan's idea, not theirs. They actually came in and stopped that from happening.

Only to take credit for it in the next installment for sure.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Did something come up in the news recently regarding Mendes? Why do people think he's still a viable option for the next one? Didn't he say in no uncertain terms that he's done with Bond? Or did I imagine/misread that?
    I may have started this a few pages back. I surmised that there would be no B25 continuation of SP's storyline without Mendes back again, because no director worth his/her salt would want to take on Mendes' baggage and characters (which is everyone except for Tanner and Bond).

Oh, Tanner will be the traitor with a grudge in the next Bond, that's a given if P+W return.

Logan's idea, not theirs. They actually came in and stopped that from happening.

Only to take credit for it in the next installment for sure.

Logan was behind SF (which you despise) while P&W came in to bring SP together (which you love), so why you always think so low of those two is beyond me. You even love all the lack luster stuff they did in the Brosnan era.
    I actually despise P+W+L.

TWINE is my No 23 @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

I'm far away from loving everything scriptwise in TND/TWINE/DAD.
    TWINE is as bad as SF and DAD has some ridiculously written things like the gene-teraphy nonsense.

TND is my No 10 because overall the movie kicks-ass, Brosnan is on top of his game and it has some hilariously funny humour in it. And great action. And THAT PTS.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Plus P+W had nothing to do with TND.
    Murdock wrote: »

Yes :)) of course true. Thanks for the clarification.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Murdock wrote: »

Yes :)) of course true. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem. They do tend to be thought to be involved with everything Brosnan these days. =))
    My hopes are on Jez Butterworth. I think he is responsible for the good outcome of Spectre. Even if he only did dialogue? It is infinitely better than the hellish boredom of dialogue in SF.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2016 Posts: 4,452
    Tanner en M be very naief in QOS and Tanner be it again with Skyfall and Spectre.
    He was not happy with her in QOS.He betrayd Dench M in with being to happy with a possible replacement in Skyfall and was stil to happy with Malory in Spectre. He stil nerves in Skyfall till moment Dench M was gone. Tanner thinks he can be new M/Malory new secatery. In Spectre we disover M not be big fan of Moneypenny and having more with Q and Bond. Tanner wil try to get her fired by Malory and succed but at the end she wil get job back. So he wil not be actualy trater, but afraid for his job (Skyfall is where it start..)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well according to Butterworth, Bond doesn't talk to men, he shoots them, so all the moments in the script where he had time to interact with people that weren't Madeleine were cut, cut, cut. I wouldn't mind it if he stayed away next go around.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Well according to Butterworth, Bond doesn't talk to men, he shoots them, so all the moments in the script where he had time to interact with people that weren't Madeleine were cut, cut, cut. I wouldn't mind it if he stayed away next go around.
    Yes, that didn't sit well with me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    "Bond doesn't talk to men."

One example, Jez... The golf game in Goldfinger, for example...
    jake24 wrote: »
    Yes, that didn't sit well with me.

It just doesn't ring true at all to me.

Bond is the kind of man who will sit down for a five course meal and respectfully discuss the villain's plans with him for a long while, for crying out loud. If anything, he talks to men too much, instead of just killing them. ;)
    World domination, same old dream... ;)

"Our asylums are full of people who think they're Napoleon. Or God."

"Our asylums are full of people who think they're Napoleon. Or God."
    "You persist in trying to provoke me, Mr. Bond. I could've had you killed in the swamp."
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I actually think we got plenty of great Bond-villain exchanges in both SF and SP (the former was worked on by Butterworth as well). Either he came to his senses or his comments were taken out of context.
    Personally, I don't know what exactly Butterworth did or corrected. His work is pretty much unclear. Why would anyone want him when he hasn't proved us anything?
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Because he isn't Purvis, Wade, or Logan? ;)
    The biggest confusion I get with the modern Bond films is trying to actually make clear in my head just what writers contributed what. I rarely comment on screenwriters' work when it comes to Bond because there are often so many cooks in the kitchen it's difficult to tell who contributed what, making judgement through a microscope a rather erroneous move.
    Let's just hope they don't bring Skip Woods to write the script. :))
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I thought Bond 25 was called Come and Dive?
    I thought Bond 25 was called Come and Dive?
    Good times. Probably just a ploy for the song's artist to market themselves.
    The biggest confusion I get with the modern Bond films is trying to actually make clear in my head just what writers contributed what. I rarely comment on screenwriters' work when it comes to Bond because there are often so many cooks in the kitchen it's difficult to tell who contributed what, making judgement through a microscope a rather erroneous move.
    This. And we don´t even know who was involved and not mentioned at all. Just look at Alien and its script credits.

boldfinger wrote: »
    This. And we don´t even know who was involved and not mentioned at all. Just look at Alien and its script credits.

I guess it's just the inevitability of filmmaking, with different writers needed to bring out different things the script is said to need to display. And a director, producer and studio head will all have different ideas for who to hire, etc.

It's just very difficult to judge scripts like those for these recent Bond films because you can never tell what a Haggis, a Logan, a Butterworth, a Purvis or a Wade did that the others had no say on.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited October 2016 Posts: 5,991

I really didn't understand this; it seems to show a distinct lack of understanding of the early Bond films. I think of his conversations with Dr. No, Goldfinger, Largo, and OHMSS' Blofeld, just for starters.

Although I liked SF (not as much as I loved CR), the reintroduction of Moneypenny and Q gave me pause back in 2012. But in retrospect, casting notable stars in those roles (including the new M) led to the bloating of their roles in SP. And Tanner was completely unnecessary in SP; Moneypenny, Q, or M himself could have handled his scenes.

I'm not sure Mendes has ever really "gotten" Bond. All of Bond's backstory in SF and SP, while interesting and novel-fanboyish at first blush, doesn't make a lot of sense as Bond is not a particularly reflective character in the films (for one thing, it's not very cinematic).

The best scenes of Bond's character in SF are, IMHO, his dismissiveness of the psychiatrist at the beginning and his basically ignoring M's questions when they first arrive in Scotland.

Mendes is on the record as saying LALD is one of his favorite Bond films. Who among us fans would choose that film as their inspiration for reinventing Bond?
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    I really cant see what Mendes can bring to the table a 3rd time.
    He can close out the melodrama (or complex web of intrigue as some may see it) that he has instigated.

I have next-to-zero confidence that Mendes knows how to properly wrap up the events of the last two films, let alone the last four.

"Did I overcomplicate the plot?"

Yes, Mendes, you did.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Butterworth is a competent screenwriter. Although I was surprised if not shocked when the "Bond doesn't talk to men" hit the forum.

Despite my jabs at SP Butterworth did contribute and I think his job was to clean up the first part of the script while P&W worked on the second half.

I don't see in the script or in SF where Butterworth's assessment of Bond shows up in either script. I could be wrong.

Maybe just another out of context or overblown comment like the wrist one ...or maybe not. I really don't know.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Where does it say Butterworth worked on the first half of the script? As far as I know, he didn't do much of a thing. At least not from what I've seen in two leaked scripts that were 95% the same as the final film, yet his name wasn't even mentioned on the first page. On the contrary, some great bits were cut from the final film.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Where does it say Butterworth worked on the first half of the script? As far as I know, he didn't do much of a thing. At least not from what I've seen in two leaked scripts that were 95% the same as the final film, yet his name wasn't even mentioned on the first page. On the contrary, some great bits were cut from the final film.

Like I said I really don't know. I read that or recall that from this forum which of course is always right. :D

Again, he hasn't proved us anything. Someone perhaps knows what he did, but for all I know, he just edited some of the dialogues and cut down the "unrequired" scenes.

Bring in some writer who knows his stuff. Preferably mountains and valleys away from an auteur writer and director, please.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    edited October 2016 Posts: 2,044
    According to the leaks Butterworth worked on the first two acts while P&W worked on the third act. This after Logan handed in the last script revision sometime late summer/early autumn 2014.
    P&W added scenes and refocused the climax before and during shooting and later added the torture-scene as late as April 2015. Butterworth polished dialogue and subtracted some scenes here and there in the first acts. I also believe (though not sure) that he wrote some scenes with M and Denbigh.
    I believe P&W also were responsible for refocusing scenes concerning Craig's injury later during shooting.
    All according the leaks, interviews and James Bond Archives.