No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    If only they would just give their share of the Bond rights they have back to EON, things would be better off. My biggest worry is what will happen when MGM finally goes belly up? Will they do the right thing and give the rights to EON, or will they pull a McClory and give them to someone else?
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    MGM is a business first - so never look for them to do the right thing.. that 50% belongs to them, and more than likely, if they went into fire sale mode, then they'd be auctioning those rights off to the highest bidder.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 14,882
    Spam™
    Spammers­­®
    Derailed©
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Sorry it got a little loose in here for a bit, @Benny, but it's nice to see you took it in the fun spirit it was meant for.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    When in Rome... ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Benny wrote: »
    When in Rome... ;)

...you crash sports cars into the Tiber? B-)
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Ain't
    It
    Damn
    Awesome
    Nobody
    Trademarked
    Useless
    Random
    Not
    Eearnest
    Remarks

That happens when all we got from the event of the year is:
    A Suit should look like you had sex in it
    and
    My favourite colour is bloody blue
    or
    Everybody is still tired.

Quite frankly his wrist slash comments were more of a statement and closer to the truth than any of the useless crap he uttered two days ago.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 16,331
    It was a joke taken out of context after being exhausted from a big shoot. He was tired! We all stay stupid crap when we're tired. Christ it was a dumb sarcastic quip. He didn't kick a puppy.
    faLWAMy.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    $™$™$™

So you know Hebrew?
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Murdock wrote: »
    It was a joke taken out of context after being exhausted from a big shoot. He was tired! We all stay stupid crap when we're tired. Christ it was a dumb sarcastic quip. He didn't kick a puppy.
    faLWAMy.jpg

=D>
    I suppose, Jason won't be able to stop spilling his repetitive nonsense...its such a classy act to leave the frustration on the doorsteps of those, who don't have the rains in their hands.

I believe, its pretty clear by ow, that its impossible to have another film before 2019. Otherwise its clear, they would need to start next year and with nothing in the works yet, that is hardly possible. I am surprised, people even still think about 2018. Oh...I fear this will end in the worst frustration ever and that this thread will get really ugly, while time passes. 8-X
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I was thinking about it this morning GL. You are right, 2018 seems a stretch as they need 2 years from start to finish to make a Bond film.

The only way 2018 would happen is if they have already to some degree given thought to the villains plans (incorporating some modern real life theme). That is there usual starting point.
    So how much is Gregg Wilson now involved in that early process, and is he starting to take more responsibility?
    If the first/second/third script drafts are written in 2017 there is a chance 2018 is on the cards. But if I had to bet, well 2019 seems more likely.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Something seems a bit odd on reflection. Early spring this year they were supposed to be meeting and thinking about what the current 'threat' in the world is, their usual starting point for a new Bond film - I think Gregg Wilson was the one who said that - which would suggest that they may have intended early script work - ideas etc would occur this year. MGW initially expected distribution rights to be sorted around Feb 2016. Now Craig's comments suggest that nothing really has happened at all - 'there is no conversation, everyone is tired, everyone's doing other projects at the moment' - leads me to think distribution is holding things up and MGM are waiting until they are able to distribute the film themselves.
    Doesn't help MGM that Ben Hur flopped.
    Cant believe people still going on about the wrist slashing quote. Craig has just made a more clearer explanation, that its like asking a marathon runner several yards from the finish line, does he want to run another one? Are we going to have people banging on about this quote now? I've no doubt at all that he is going to be back as Bond in Bond 25, its just how long before we see it that concerns me now!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    People are still bitching about stuff Connery and Lazenby said and did half a century ago, so yes. It is here to stay.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Doesn't help MGM that Ben Hur flopped.

Actually, because Ben Hur flopped so badly, MGM will be after another hit asap, so it may in fact benefit Bond.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    If only they would just give their share of the Bond rights they have back to EON, things would be better off. My biggest worry is what will happen when MGM finally goes belly up? Will they do the right thing and give the rights to EON, or will they pull a McClory and give them to someone else?
    MGM are making more money than they have for years, they're not going bust anytime soon. Ben Hur may have been a flop but other films were a massive success (Me Before You (co-prod with WB/NL), for example, cost $20m and grossed $206m worldwide). Also, their tv division is going great guns at present and they have significant unused borrowing facilities in place.

Given the importance of Bond to MGM profits, I seriously doubt they are the ones holding up progress. Pretty sure they'd love to have a Bond film every year if they could.

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited October 2016 Posts: 292
    edited
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Maybe Greg Wilson is our shining beam of hope. He seemed keen to start ideas on Bond 25.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It was reported sometime in December, I think, that work on Bond 25 would start in Spring 2016. Well, go figure... We're two seasons past the spring.
    Exactly, really does make me think the distribution deal is holding things up. I remember someone posting something on here with a link to an interview with someone from Sony saying that negotiations hadn't even started and would take place towards the end of the year. Starting in Spring 2016 maybe was when they thought distribution rights would all be sorted by then.
    18 months after SP wrapped and Craig and Brocolli are still tired!! Really?. Poor diddums.Try 14 hour shifts in a hospital A&E five or six days a week. Or 12 hours in a steel mill see how tired they are then. Cubby, Michael G, Maibaum and John Glen made five movies in ten years and i dont remember them complaining of tiredness.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    18 months after SP wrapped and Craig and Brocolli are still tired!! Really?. Poor diddums.Try 14 hour shifts in a hospital A&E five or six days a week. Or 12 hours in a steel mill see how tired they are then. Cubby, Michael G, Maibaum and John Glen made five movies in ten years and i dont remember them complaining of tiredness.

Maybe try to read between the lies. What are they supposed to say? Obviously there are other things involved, that hold things up, but they want to be quiet about that. They have their reasons...and its probably not i their hands. MGW said, the distribution was all set in spring. So, obviously plans were different. But shit happens, no?

The Bond production team seem to work within a different World/culture than other areas of commerce (including other movie production teams), obvioulsy we could be missing something but commerce in the 21st century means always moving forward, have a plan, a vision, showing confidence in your future product etc etc,
    I cant think of another example of a global brand that thinks that it can have the luxury of a long break (or even the apperance of the break), there is no attempt at even creating some spin to show that the wheels are in motion and things are moving,
    it is strange to me.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Exactly, really does make me think the distribution deal is holding things up. I remember someone posting something on here with a link to an interview with someone from Sony saying that negotiations hadn't even started and would take place towards the end of the year. Starting in Spring 2016 maybe was when they thought distribution rights would all be sorted by then.
    Yes, it was the new CEO of Sony replacing Amy Pascal who said negotiations haven't even begun. I'm assuming Gary Barber is somehow against MGM being taken under Sony's wing again so they're maybe waiting till the studio stands on its own feet rather than relying on the latter. Could it also be that some other famous studios rejected Bond and/or MGM?
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Well said.
    I think they are creatively tired as well. Clearly the wellspring of originality has run dry. Although I quite enjoyed SP, it was the most highly derivative of the Craig era movies.

I think three year gaps are understandable but four is a bit of a shame. Still, that seems where we are headed.

Germanlady wrote: »
    I suppose, Jason won't be able to stop spilling his repetitive nonsense...its such a classy act to leave the frustration on the doorsteps of those, who don't have the rains in their hands.

I believe, its pretty clear by ow, that its impossible to have another film before 2019. Otherwise its clear, they would need to start next year and with nothing in the works yet, that is hardly possible. I am surprised, people even still think about 2018. Oh...I fear this will end in the worst frustration ever and that this thread will get really ugly, while time passes. 8-X

How is it pretty clear that it's impossible to have another Bond film before 2019?

Try logic.

• CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    edited October 2016 Posts: 292
    edited
    Aren't you friends with Barbara Broccoli @CatchingBullets ? Do you have a better idea than us what's going on behind the scenes?