No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Tuulia wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

I still can't believe, given ONE shot to ask DC a question, that this is what Zaritsky came up with, because he already knows all of DC's favorite brands. I am more interested in knowing DC's thoughts on comparisons to Steve McQueen and whether or not the King of Cool is an influence at all. I think Zaritsky missed a golden opportunity.

Yeah. Sort of stupid really if he already knew. But even if he hadn't known, what a weird thing to ask if one can ask an actor just one question. About brands? Really?

To be fair to David, brands, props and the overall Bond lifestyle is a monumental passion project that he's undertaken for about 20 years and he takes it incredibly seriously. The guy is hardcore when it comes to attention to detail of these things and so in his case, I wouldn't say it's a stupid question to ask at all, especially as all the other heavier questions had been asked by others prior to his own query.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Although obviously his hair is modified for another role, Dan looks great. He has the kind of features that don't really change, so he could easily do 2 more Bonds even at 3-4 years in between. There was nothing in this interview that implied he was considering leaving the franchise.
    I'd say as of now in 2016, we're looking at about 6- 8 years before a Bond film with a new actor is actually released. I'll round it to eight in honor of the longer gaps, making Turner about 41, Hidds 43, Idris 52 and so forth. I'd say discussing the next Bond at this point is as pointless.....or speculative as discussing what John Gavin or Finlay Light might have been like in the role.

Agreed. I think in his mind he's made a decision to return; he just needs and wants some time to play other roles. I think the break will make him more enthusiastic to play Bond. That's what we want, right? A pumped up, ready-to-go actor tackling the role with all he has. No one wants a tired, worn out guy playing Bond, not even Craig.
  • edited October 2016 Posts: 1,661
    I'm playing devil's advocate here but don't you think Craig could have said:

"Yes, I will return" or "no, I'm not."

He's had almost a year to decide. Actually it's more like a year and a half. SPECTRE finished filming in summer of last year.

If he doesn't want to come back he could say it. Just say it, no prevarication. My guess is he could be holding back letting EON think he's out and at the last moment he'll ask for a much higher fee. I think that's his tactic. He sort of admitted it in the Time Out interview when he said he'd only return for the money. I think that's the truth and anything else Craig says is, with respect, just bullshitting us.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Craig didn't speak only for himself, whenever asked about Bond and regarding its future, he always referred to his party as we, not they. Meaning, he's still associated with them and isn't separating himself from Eon's Bond committee. There's no script, writer nor a director for Craig to decide if he's staying. Things are still unclear inside the inner circle.
  • I can understand people's point of view of my question from both sides. The reality is, I wanted to be true to the aspects I discuss in my vlogs and my interests, but I also wanted to call out his personal influence as a style template. You don't need to be wearing a Tom Ford suit or a tuxedo to be a style icon. Style is NOT fashion and it's not always looking dressed up. And as someone that has seen him pile TF goodies two feet high in the NYC TF store, he does love clothes...and he knows it as he is fiercely loyal to his brands...I was truly asking the question for myself to see if he had any style icons that influenced him or did he go just for comfort etc..and although not perfect, I have to say I am happy where his answer went because with many of the questions of the night he dismissed them or answered them in less than a sentence.

My favorite part was when he grabbed his clothes to say "what, these old things" yet he was grabbing a $1500 Belstaff, a Brunello T shirt that cost $275, Brunello Jeans that are $750...etc...

THAT all being said, Tosca isn't for everyone and if there is one thing I have learned early on is that you can't please everyone. Still was and remains a fun experience...

doubleoego wrote: »

I still can't believe, given ONE shot to ask DC a question, that this is what Zaritsky came up with, because he already knows all of DC's favorite brands. I am more interested in knowing DC's thoughts on comparisons to Steve McQueen and whether or not the King of Cool is an influence at all. I think Zaritsky missed a golden opportunity.

Yeah. Sort of stupid really if he already knew. But even if he hadn't known, what a weird thing to ask if one can ask an actor just one question. About brands? Really?

To be fair to David, brands, props and the overall Bond lifestyle is a monumental passion project that he's undertaken for about 20 years and he takes it incredibly seriously. The guy is hardcore when it comes to attention to detail of these things and so in his case, I wouldn't say it's a stupid question to ask at all, especially as all the other heavier questions had been asked by others prior to his own query.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Craig is a loyal soldier. He has an excellent relationship with the producers. He won't say anything until he's instructed to by them. Until then, he will tow the line.

As I said before, he walked back some of the 'wrist slash', which is what he should have done.

There are multi-$m negotiations either under way or about to take place. Craig is a critical component of those negotiations, as the star of the franchise. It is not appropriate to jeopardize or impact such discussions negatively for MGM/EON, and I'm sure Craig is aware of that.

So we end up with much ado about nothing from a 'Bond' perspective, which is as it should be, because it was called 'Beyond Bond' after all.
    Let's also not forget that he said "he'll miss it" if he stops doing. He's not out yet. I'm not sure how else this can be interpreted.
    Let's also not forget that he said "he'll miss it" if he stops doing. He's not out yet. I'm not sure how else this can be interpreted.
    True @ClarkDevlin, but there's nothing to be gleaned from that. Who wouldn't miss Bond after one year, especially with the amount of creative control he's been given. It's the best job in the world and an opportunity the likes of which he's unlikely to get again (on this scale).
    His attraction to the subject is utterly positive, @bondjames. He kept associating himself with the Bond people as if he's part of them, which only leads me to understand he's not leaving anytime soon and the next one is for him to take on. If he were to leave but act tight-lipped about it, he would have spoke neutral about it. It's true that he's not a big Bond fan himself, but he appreciates the franchise, especially when he's been creatively involved in it since Quantum of Solace. The amount of times he referred to the Bond people with 'We' instead of 'They' is enough for me to understand he'll still be around.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I agree @ClarkDevlin, and I'm quite certain that at this present time, Craig is still 'in'. However, Dalton was still 'in' in 1993 to my knowledge, but by the time 1995 came about, he was 'out' by his own volition.

So my point is this: With the potential protracted delay between B24 and B25, I wouldn't get my hopes up, as serious actor's (as opposed to movie star's) priorities change.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423
    DELETE
    That's true, @bondjames. Dalton kept talking about it and was still in around '93 and early '94. I remember reading he was the one to announce Michael France was writing a script for the then-next film...

And that's a good point, Craig does consider himself a serious actor, so we wouldn't know just yet. But, for now, as far as we're concerned, he's still in.

----

And by the way, mods, would anyone please tell me how can I deactivate the automatic 'Save Draft' mode? It keeps ruining the page's loading process and eats a large amount of time when I'm ready to make my post. Can't we just keep it manually done?
    DELETE
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That's true, @bondjames. Dalton kept talking about it and was still in around '93 and early '94. I remember reading he was the one to announce Michael France was writing a script for the then-next film...

And that's a good point, Craig does consider himself a serious actor, so we wouldn't know just yet. But, for now, as far as we're concerned, he's still in.

----

And by the way, mods, would anyone please tell me how can I deactivate the automatic 'Save Draft' mode? It keeps ruining the page's loading process and eats a large amount of time when I'm ready to make my post. Can't we just keep it manually done?

This is what leads to my double posts. Always.

----

This is what leads to my double posts. Always.
    It's annoying at the very least. And I'm being diplomatic about it.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Zaritsky wrote: »
    I can understand people's point of view of my question from both sides. The reality is, I wanted to be true to the aspects I discuss in my vlogs and my interests, but I also wanted to call out his personal influence as a style template. You don't need to be wearing a Tom Ford suit or a tuxedo to be a style icon. Style is NOT fashion and it's not always looking dressed up. And as someone that has seen him pile TF goodies two feet high in the NYC TF store, he does love clothes...and he knows it as he is fiercely loyal to his brands...I was truly asking the question for myself to see if he had any style icons that influenced him or did he go just for comfort etc..and although not perfect, I have to say I am happy where his answer went because with many of the questions of the night he dismissed them or answered them in less than a sentence.

My favorite part was when he grabbed his clothes to say "what, these old things" yet he was grabbing a $1500 Belstaff, a Brunello T shirt that cost $275, Brunello Jeans that are $750...etc...

THAT all being said, Tosca isn't for everyone and if there is one thing I have learned early on is that you can't please everyone. Still was and remains a fun experience...

Zaritsky wrote: »
    I can understand people's point of view of my question from both sides. The reality is, I wanted to be true to the aspects I discuss in my vlogs and my interests, but I also wanted to call out his personal influence as a style template. You don't need to be wearing a Tom Ford suit or a tuxedo to be a style icon. Style is NOT fashion and it's not always looking dressed up. And as someone that has seen him pile TF goodies two feet high in the NYC TF store, he does love clothes...and he knows it as he is fiercely loyal to his brands...I was truly asking the question for myself to see if he had any style icons that influenced him or did he go just for comfort etc..and although not perfect, I have to say I am happy where his answer went because with many of the questions of the night he dismissed them or answered them in less than a sentence.

You hit the nail on the head when you said style isnt fashion David. We just disagree on DC having much style outside of playing bond. I think mentioning how much each item costs emphasis my point when to my mind a better looking outfit could be found for much less. Money definitely isn't what makes someone stylish. From what I've seen over the years I've witnessed a lot of bond fans almost religiously copying everything Dan is seen out wearing and to me he rarely looks cool outside of bond. Each to their own btw, I'm not having a go. This coming from one of Craig's biggest fans. Keep up the good work on the vlogs and welcome to the forum.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    @bondjames

As usual you are the voice of reason. Honestly, how do you do it? Even in the "P" thread you are the most sane if I may say so without sounding like a kiss-ass ;)
    Thank you @BondJasonBond006. You should visit the American Election thread. I'm getting quite a beating over there, so I'm happy to get any ego massage, no matter how unwarranted/unearned, that I can get.

EDIT: I missed your reference to "P". I'm a bit slow today.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thank you @BondJasonBond006. You should visit the American Election thread. I'm getting quite a beating over there, so I'm happy to get any ego massage, no matter how unwarranted/unearned, that I can get.

Best wishes there... I'm avoiding that thread.
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Best wishes there... I'm avoiding that thread.
    I'm guessing that's a political thread?
    Yes. Avoid if you can, as it can get quite nasty on occasion.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, good job @bondjames for always being so sensible and level-headed.
    On social media, I never discuss politics. Keeps the sleeping process easier, at night.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2016 Posts: 10,588
    Welcome to the forums, @Zaritsky!
    This is a good article on the eve with some add. news. He is co-producing Purity for example and is still in Kings with a small role.

http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php/archives/9372-DANIEL-CRAIG-TALKS-JAMES-BOND,-OTHELLO,-BLADE-RUNNER-AND-STAR-WARS.html
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    It's interesting that some think Dan is playing some heavy Hollywood game of contracts and finances with EON. So, so amusing to read these notions:

"Dan is keeping quiet and acting disinterested to make EON think he's done so they'll throw endless money at him to stay on."

"EON is so sneaky! They are keeping things on the down-low to make Dan think they don't want him, courting other actors to make him jealous, then poof, Dan signs on when he thinks the role is out of his grasp for a price they dictate."

This isn't a soap opera people. Dan's relationship with Barbara and Michael, as well as all EON top brass is different than what Cubby's dynamics were with his past actors. Dan and EON are a true team, and when they go into negotiations for anything Bond related, whether with Sony or MGM, it's Dan and them that walk hand in hand, instead of Barbara leading the charge and letting Dan wait in the shadows like he has no say in anything. It's why Dan uses words like "we" to describe the Bond team. They're a true family and in everything together. We don't live in a time when a Bond actor is just expected to show up, act their scenes, then piss off, as it used to be. Starting with Craig the old guard of Bond moviemaking has developed into something more special in my eyes, where EON respect their Bond actor as a viable part of the creative team, which they should, as the moment an actor signs on to play 007 they are the face of that iconic brand and deserve a say in how their era plays out.

Dan and EON aren't playing games with each other, getting political or strategic with their words and actions to try and get more or less money out of each other or shake up negotiations. Anybody that thinks otherwise is delusional and not well-informed about how this era has progressed, to be frank and a little impolite. From day one Dan and EON have been in this thing together, and that won't stop until the day Daniel hangs up his holster for good (even after which he and Barbara will likely still work together on other projects), and may that time be years away!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    It's interesting that some think Dan is playing some heavy Hollywood game of contracts and finances with EON. So, so amusing to read these notions:

"Dan is keeping quiet and acting disinterested to make EON think he's done so they'll throw endless money at him to stay on."

"EON is so sneaky! They are keeping things on the down-low to make Dan think they don't want him, courting other actors to make him jealous, then poof, Dan signs on when he thinks the role is out of his grasp for a price they dictate."

This isn't a soap opera people. Dan's relationship with Barbara and Michael, as well as all EON top brass is different than what Cubby's dynamics were with his past actors. Dan and EON are a true team, and when they go into negotiations for anything Bond related, whether with Sony or MGM, it's Dan and them that walk hand in hand, instead of Barbara leading the charge and letting Dan wait in the shadows like he has no say in anything. It's why Dan uses words like "we" to describe the Bond team. They're a true family and in everything together. We don't live in a time when a Bond actor is just expected to show up, act their scenes, then piss off, as it used to be. Starting with Craig the old guard of Bond moviemaking has developed into something more special in my eyes, where EON respect their Bond actor as a viable part of the creative team, which they should, as the moment an actor signs on to play 007 they are the face of that iconic brand and deserve a say in how their era plays out.

Dan and EON aren't playing games with each other, getting political or strategic with their words and actions to try and get more or less money out of each other or shake up negotiations. Anybody that thinks otherwise is delusional and not well-informed about how this era has progressed, to be frank and a little impolite. From day one Dan and EON have been in this thing together, and that won't stop until the day Daniel hangs up his holster for good (even after which he and Barbara will likely still work together on other projects), and may that time be years away!

I love this post! So true.

True??? This is Hollypinewood, so how can anyone not close to the creative team possibly know what´s true???
    I agree it sounds as if they´re a team. But, as different as their respective situations were, it also sounded as if Brosnan was solid part of the family, until all of a sudden he wasn´t anymore.
    I don't think Brosnan was as close to the family as Craig is, though. He didn't give out that vibe during the interviews and was descriptive of them in third person whereas Craig employs the first person talkative manner when it comes to the Broccoli's and their relation to the Bond franchise.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Brosnan and Craig's relationships with EON are night and day. There's also the fact that Brosnan was Cubby's choice that Barbara had to work with after her father's death (and that never felt like hers) and Daniel was her choice that she stuck with despite the controversy that pick created, making their dynamic feel more special and important, as she feels a certain since of pride in what Dan has done in the role since she took a risk on him.